Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ Telling Elena and Rick ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“RICK JUST TIVO THE DAMN GAME AND GET OUT HERE! RYO AND DEE ARE WAITING!”
 
“COMING ELENA!” Rick' s voice boomed from the den.
 
“He's so whipped.” Dee whispered to Ryo and Ryo elbowed him.
 
“Your damn straight he is!” Elena said winking at Dee. Ryo blushed. Yup, Elena, definitely NOT a typical Maclean.
 
Rick appeared finally from the den and smiled when he saw his nephew.
 
“Good to see you Ryo.” He said giving him a warm hug. “You as well Dee.” He shook the ebony haired detective's hand warmly.
 
“Did you both want a drink?” Elena asked taking the gentlemen's coats.
 
“Uhh…tea would be nice.” Ryo said nervously.
 
“Beer for me!” Dee yelled proudly.
 
“Coming up…go sit…make yourselves comfortable.”
 
“Better do as she says.” Rick said leading the boys to the plush living room adorned with cozy furniture and dozens upon dozens of pictures, all taken by Elena. They all took a seat with Rick sitting across from him. He could see his nephew look particularly anxious.
 
“So how was Africa?” Dee asked.
 
Rick smiled.
 
“Amazing, though Elena saw most of it. I saw stuck in a hotel room listening to executives talk about how they wanted to expand the company globally hence why we were all in Africa. God some of these business guys have got their heads way up their asses.”
 
Dee laughed while Ryo fidgeted.
 
“You okay Ryo?” Rick asked.
 
“Huh wha!?” Ryo answered.
 
“I asked if you were alright.” Rick said. “You're awfully jumpy.”
 
“Oh yeah!” Ryo said. “I'm fine!”
“So how's life on the force?” Rick asked.
 
“Can't complain.” Dee said. “We got a case that's been bugging us for the past few weeks, but hopefully we will crack it soon.”
 
“Good.” Rick said. “I do admire you two. I could never do your job with all that emotional and physical strain. You two have guts.”
 
“Well as much as I am proud of Ryo!” Elena piped in bringing forth a tray of drinks. “I wish your career wasn't so dangerous! You nearly gave me a coronary when I found out you had been in the hospital after that last attack! Pardon my French, but I am too damn young and beautiful to be put in the grave just yet!”
 
The men laughed.
 
“Yes dear.” Rick said as Elena took a seat on the armrest of his chair as her husband put an arm around her. Known each other since teens, like Aiko and Frank, Elena and Rick were inseparable. Ryo admired that in his aunt and uncle.
 
“Ryo sweetie?” Elena interrupted his thoughts. “You alright? You're kinda pale.”
 
“He's been like that for the past half hour.” Rick said. “It's the same look he gave his parents that time he broke a neighbor's window playing ball with some friends.”
 
`Aw fuck.' Ryo thought while Dee laughed.
 
“Weeelll....” Dee said looking over at Ryo. He could tell his partner was at a loss for words, so Dee knew he had to take the stage.
 
“Well what?” Elena asked.
 
“There is something Ryo…rather Ryo and I have to tell you.”
 
“Dee…” Ryo patted his arm. But the look on Dee's face knew it was probably the best way.
 
Dee approached the husband and wife and stared down at them kindly.
 
“Mr. and Mrs. Varner.” Dee started. “As you know Ryo and I are more than just partners and friends. Well, Elena, after that last attack Ryo went through, it really opened my eyes to how much I cherish Ryo. His parents gave him wonderful love and care when they were alive and you both took over with the same love and care when they died. I only want to give him the best that you all have.”
 
Dee took a breath. The looks on their faces were one of awe.
 
“That's why about a month ago, I took a chance and Ryo accepted and now we are here asking for your consent. Will you, Elena and Rick, give me your permission to marry Ryo?”
 
Husband and wife's jaw dropped when Dee said that last sentence.
 
“Marry…as in…” Elena said shakily.
 
“As in ceremony, family, friends, food, a life of happiness and care and love that I promise to give Ryo and that we hope you will accept.” Dee said.
 
“Can you…” Rick started
 
“New Jersey has just allowed gays to have civil unions. We are going to get our marriage license there.” Ryo said quietly as he walked over to his aunt and uncle and kneeled down to them. “I love Dee with all of my heart. I know me being gay might not be what you or mom and dad wanted, but I can't deny who I am either. Dee proposed to me while you were in Africa. It was hard to reach you, so don't think we have been hiding it from you. But please, I want you there at our wedding. I want you to accept us even if the whole world doesn't.”
 
Elena looked shocked as she could see some tears beginning to stream down Ryo's cheeks.
 
“Oh Ryo.” She said taking his face in her hands. She knew it how hard it was for him to come forward with all of this.
 
“Is this what you want?” Rick asked Ryo.
 
“Yes.” Ryo answered. “More than anything Uncle Rick.”
 
“Well.” The older man cleared his throat. “What do you think Elena?”
 
Elena sniffled.
 
“I think…” She said. “THAT I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!”
 
The middle aged woman stifled a sob and threw her arms around her nephew.
 
“Oh my little Randy!!” She said tearfully. “I can't believe it!”
 
Ryo sniffled.
 
“You're okay with this Elena?” He asked. “Even though I am marrying a man!”
 
Elena looked at him and smiled.
“As long as you are happy sweetheart, that's all that matters to me!” She said. “You had to grow up so fast after your parents died and I was worried about you for the longest time. Whenever I looked in your eyes they always seemed so sad. But every time you talked about Dee that sparkle you had in them would come back little by little.”
 
Rick stood up as Elena and Ryo embraced some more. He extended his hand to Dee.
 
“Congratulations Dee!” He said proudly. “You take care of my nephew now.”
 
Dee took the hand and shook it happily.
 
“You know I will Rick.”
 
The family embraced more with Elena pulling Dee into a big hug and giving him the talk about how he'd better take good care of Ryo or she will come at him with her claws unsheathed. She didn't grow her nails for nothing. Rick brought out a wine they saved only for celebrations and popped the cork. Dee held Ryo in his arms as the two told them their plans so far. Elena was thrilled as Ryo asked if she and Rick would walk with him when he had to take his place down the aisle. But as happy as they all were, Ryo looked…unsettled.
 
“Okay Ryo.” She said after awhile. “What is it? You just told us your big news. You should be relaxed now.”
 
“Yeah baby.” Dee said as he held Ryo close. “You still seem kinda…out of it.”
 
Ryo sighed.
 
“I was thinking about mom and dad.” He said quietly looking over at a picture of them.
 
“Oh darling.” Elena said walked over to him and putting her arms around him.
 
“This is something they truly would want to be a part of Ryo.” Rick said.
 
“And they will be.” Dee said. “Ryo and I decided to have 4 empty seats during the ceremony. Two for people I lost long ago and two for Ryo's parents. We are going to put their pictures on them along with a flower in their memory.”
 
“That will be lovely.” Elena said as she remembered her brother. “Frank and Aiko would have loved that.”
 
Ryo sighed.
 
“Elena?” He asked. “Would mom and dad hate me?”
 
“HATE YOU!?” She asked stunned. “What on earth for!?”
Ryo narrowed his eyes.
 
“For being gay?” He asked quietly.
 
Elena looked at him and she could truly see the fear in his eyes. It was true that his father's side of the family had been a bunch of homophobic jerks and Aiko's family she wasn't sure about. She knew that just her words wouldn't convince Ryo. But she knew what would.
 
“Boys, come with me to the den.” She said sitting up. “There is something I want to show you. Something I should have shown you a long time ago Ryo.”