Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ Emergency ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
“DEE MOVE YOUR QUEER ASS!!” Bikky yelled from the door. “I WANNA SEE RYO!”
 
“I'M COMING YOU BRAT!” Dee yelled from the bathroom. “Of all the times I need to pee.” He growled, a cigarette dangling from his lips as he relieved himself. He suddenly realized that this was his first cigarette of the day. A chain smoker, much to Ryo's chagrin, Dee always seemed to have a smoke in his mouth. But after today's events, the thought of having one hadn't even crossed his mind.
 
“I guess your “smoking is bad for you” nagging is finally working on me Ryo baby.” He said with a laugh as he zipped up his pants.
 
“PERV!”
 
“ALRIGHT!”
 
Dee ran out of the bathroom, grabbed his leather jacket, and approached the door where an annoyed Bikky was waiting holding Ryo's suitcase.
 
“Bout time.” The preteen said angrily. “Carol's going to meet us at the hospital. I spoke to her while you were busy in the bathroom taking a piss. She said her aunt made a little gift basket for Ryo.”
 
Dee said nothing as he grabbed his wallet, keys, and smokes. The two ran out of the apartment building and stepped out into the chilly air. Even though it was early April the lingering remnants of winter hadn't left Manhattan. Dee pulled his jacket around him closer as he hailed a cab. Within minutes he and Bikky were in the backseat of a cab heading to Mount Sinai. Dee was anxious and hoped Ryo would be up to see them. Even though it was way past visiting hours, Dr. Madison had given them the okay just before they left that they could come back and visit for an hour or two but not be surprised if Ryo was already asleep by the time they got there.
 
Finally, the taxi pulled up to the entrance to the hospital and Bikky bounced out. Dee was close at his heels as they headed through the lobby.
 
“BIKKY, DEE!!” A pleasant voice yelled to them as they headed toward the elevator.
 
They turned and saw the sweet face of thirteen yr. old Carol, Bikky's best friend/girlfriend running towards them with a big basket in her hands.
 
“Hey Princess.” Dee said tiredly as he pushed the up arrow button on the elevator. He eyed the basket in her hands. “Jeez you think you aunt packed enough.”
 
Carol grinned. “Aunt Elina wanted to make sure Ryo was well taken care of while he was in the hospital. So brought some homemade chicken soup, some cookies, a poetry book, and a little stuffed puppy for him to snuggle with when he is sleeping.”
 
Dee rolled his eyes.
 
“Ya know, princess.” He said. “Ryo is 29, a little old for stuffed animals.”
 
Carol pouted.
 
“Says you.” She says. “He'll like it!”
 
Bikky smirked.
 
“He will Carol, don't worry.” Bikky said putting a hand on her shoulder. Besides I'd rather he snuggle with a stuffed animal any day rather than Dee the snoring rump hunter!”
 
Dee glared at him as they got on the elevator.
 
“Watch your mouth you stinkin midge baboon!” Dee said. “Be thankful you're in a hospital because you will need a doctor if you push me too far!”
 
“Not if you will need one first!” Bikky said as the elevator stopped at the recovery floor.
 
“Stop fighting you two!” Carol scolded. “Ryo doesn't need any extra stress!”
 
They passed by the nurse's station and headed to Ryo's room.
 
“WAIT, YOU CAN'T GO IN THERE!!” A nurse suddenly appeared.
 
“It's okay!” Bikky said. “Dr. Madison gave us permission!”
 
“And we won't be long.” Dee added. “We're just here to hang with Ryo and bring him some things.”
 
The nurse looked worried and Dee saw it.
 
“What's going on?” He asked his voice suddenly changing to a serious tone.
 
The nurse sighed.
 
“Detective Mclean was taken up to surgery twenty minutes ago.” She said.
 
“WHAT!?” The three yelled.
“That's all I can tell you for now. Let me page Dr. Madison for you and he will explain everything.” She said. “Just please have a seat.”
 
With that she scurried back to her desk and made a phone call to the surgery ward. Dee felt his knees go weak and he sat down in a nearby chair. Ryo, back up in surgery? Why?
 
Within a few moments, Dr. Madison arrived covered in light green scrubs. He was sweating.
 
“WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!” Dee yelled not caring about the tone in his voice. “WHY IS RYO BACK UP IN SURGERY!?”
 
“Detective Laytner, we just tried to reach you, but you weren't at the Maclean residence and we only got your voicemail.” Dr. Madison said panting. “Detective Maclean's heart monitor began having an erratic reading alerting us to his room. When we got there, we saw that his breathing was shallow and he was running a high fever. Realizing that it was probably an infection we took him back up to surgery. When we removed the bandage from his leg, we saw that it was terribly swollen. We are running a culture now and trying to bring the swelling and the fever down.”
 
The three stared at him in shock. Dee grabbed his cell phone out of his pocket. Sure enough, the battery was dead.
 
“How could it have gotten infected?” Dee asked shakily as he stared at the dark screen of the dead phone.
 
“Probably the shank was filthy.” The doctor answered. “The bacteria just didn't show up until now.”
 
“Is Ryo going to pull through?” Bikky asked as Carol held him in her arms.
 
The doctor sighed.
 
“I can't say for sure.” He said placing a hand on Bikky's shoulder. “If we can't bring the fever and swelling down, we may have to amputate his leg in order to save his life. But I promise I am going to do my best to help your dad.”
 
“Can Ryo die?” Dee asked suddenly looking at the doctor with serious, terrified green eyes.
 
The doctor looked him right in the eyes.
 
“If the infection spreads to the point where even amputation is useless, there is a possibility Detective Maclean may not pull through.”
 
He sighed.
 
“I can't give any definite answers at this present time.” Dr. Madison said. “I must get back up to Ryo now.” He turned on his heel. “I will keep you informed of his progress.”
 
Bikky shuddered in Carol's arms as the doctor left. Carol herself was on the verge of tears. She looked over at Dee. His face with pale and he was hands were clasped tightly together as he still held his dead cell phone.
 
“God dammit!” Bikky yelled. “Why did this have to happen to Ryo!?”
 
Carol sighed as she rocked them together.
 
“I guess all we can do right is hope.” She said tearfully.
 
Dee suddenly got up.
 
“I need a cigarette.” He said coldly as he walked quickly out of the lobby with his hands in his pocket.
 
The two teens could only look on helplessly.