Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still the same.
Really sorry for the wait, I ended up adding to some of my other stories since I was stuck. New Family and Brothers? Both have a new chapter. I received the suggestion of Howard being a Wizard, interesting idea but I don't really know anything about him so it would be too hard to write. All of Harry's trainers will be OC's so I don't have to try to keep them in character. Character Death, be warned.
 
Chapter 14
 
 
Harry stared at the seemingly innocent piece of paper in despair. When Quatre had said his schedule would be full he hadn't been joking. The blank spots in it didn't even count as rests because they were for magic. Maybe this wasn't the brightest idea he'd ever come up with. Then again, Wizards still fought as if it were the Middle Ages so learning modern methods should give him a definite edge. It had come as quite a shock when he'd realised he was doing some spells instinctively, without saying anything. Looking back he'd remembered that the shielding charm he'd cast to stop Heero's bullet had been wordless and three times more powerful than usual. He was looking forward to experimenting with this new ability. Were all spells cast silently more powerful or had it been the circumstances? He looked to his window and smiled as he recognised the source of the tapping.
 
“Hey girl, have any trouble finding me?” Hedwig gave a negative hoot and settled on his shoulder, affectionately nipping his ear and causing Harry to laugh.
“What do you think?” He held his schedule up and the owl studied it curiously earning a smile. He didn't think she could really read it but she gave a really good impression of doing so.
“Think they're trying to keep me too busy to worry?” She gave a positive hoot.
“Me too. Hungry? It's about time for breakfast.” Another positive hoot and ear nip.
“Lets go.” He headed for the dining room, schedule clasped in his hand.
---------
Harry groaned form his position on the ground. That was the fifth time he'd been knocked down in the last hour, an improvement yes, but it still hurt. He now knew how easy Heero and Wufei had been going on him, even when Fei had been handicapped by a broken leg!
 
“Planning on getting up?”
 
“Planning on nocking me down again Asad?”
 
“Only if you don't stop me.”
 
“Great! Sadistic slave driver!” Harry groused as he rolled to his feet. Despite his complaints he genuinely liked the older man, when they weren't on the training mats. He was fun and had a weird sense of humour, usually at Harry's expense.
 
“How else will you learn? You're improving daily so I have to treat you harder daily to keep you improving.”
 
“I know, doesn't mean I can't complain.” They smiled at the familiar conversation, one they'd been having for the last two months. Harry moved off the mats to get a quick drink of water, Asad insisted on training outside and Harry still hadn't adjusted to the desert heat. England simply didn't get as hot.
 
“Keep this up and we'll move onto staffs next month.”
 
“Really? Neat!” Harry grinned at his teacher.
 
“Yes really. You better have a shower or you'll be late for Nasih.”
 
“Bye!” Harry bolted back to the house to shower and change; being late for Nasih was not a good idea. The old man was nice enough but very strict. Still, he'd rather learn from him than Snape or Binns, he still managed to make the lessons interesting and relevant.
 
“One minute to spare Minkah.” Nasih refused to call him Harry, instead using an old Egyptian name for him. Harry had felt it best not to argue with him and had instead asked why he called him that. Nasih had said it was because that was what he was, justice. Harry had left that conversation more than a little confused. Nasih wasn't a Wizard and none of his teachers had been told the reason for his training, instead it was hinted at that it was for his protection since he was friends with the pilots. So why call him justice?
 
“I'm sorry sir.”
 
“Asad a little rougher than usual?”
 
“Maybe a little, he said I might be able to move on to a staff next month.”
 
“You are a dedicated student, of course you are improving fast. Although you could use a little more enthusiasm in my lessons.” He frowned slightly and Harry blushed, it was true that he found his combat lessons more interesting than history and geography although they were all important.
“We will start now. Begin with the history of Sanq.” Harry nodded and began reciting the facts that he'd spent the last week having drilled into his head. At least he didn't have to write essays.
---------
Duo grinned and watched as Harry worked beside the mechanics on one of the many jeeps the Maganacs used. The kid had changed a lot since they'd first met. The desert sun had tanned him a golden colour while good food and exercise had filled out his wiry frame and given him a few extra inches in height.
 
“Hey Harry!” He grinned as Harry started, banging his head on the raised hood of the jeep he'd been buried in. The other teen glared at the pilot before happily pulling him into a hug, covering Duo in grease.
“Hey! What was that for?”
 
“Making me hit my head. You here for long?” Harry grabbed Duo's bag, seeing how tired the pilot was and lead him back to the house.
 
“A week, maybe. Depends if I get called.” Duo yawned, trying to hide it from Harry and not succeeding.
 
“Come on, lets get you settled in. I'll wake you for dinner and you can tell me what everyone's been up to.”
 
“Sure, sleep sounds fun.” Harry helped him strip down before closing the curtains and leaving the room, Duo asleep before he closed the door.
 
“Master Duo is staying?”
 
“For a week tops Rashid. He looks exhausted.”
 
“Reminds me of you during your first week here.” They shared a smile.
 
“Yeah, all this exercise and food must be doing me good. I better get back to work before Cheney comes looking for me.” Harry waved before dashing down the stairs and back out to the garage. Rashid smiled as he watched him go, he was a different boy to the one who had arrived with the pilots three months ago.
--------
“Wow! You look different without the motor oil almost didn't recognise you.” Duo grinned at Harry's mock glare but it was true. He hadn't noticed before but Harry's hair was now tied back in a low ponytail that stopped a bit below his shoulders and he seemed to have completely stopped using his glasses, sticking to contacts, which made the green of his eyes even more obvious.
 
“Very funny. You're obviously feeling better. You hurt anywhere?”
 
“Nope, not even a scratch. Heero said hi, he had to go straight on to his next mission or he would have come too.”
 
“How are the others?”
 
“You mean how is Fei?”
 
“Duo!”
 
“Okay, okay! Quat and Trowa are at some school undercover, better them than me. Fei's in Africa again but he's good. Misses you though.”
 
“I miss him too. I miss all of you.”
 
“Yeah, we weren't expecting to suddenly get so many missions. You've been alone here since me and Hee-chan left haven't you?”
 
“Yeah. It's not too bad though, I'm so busy that most of the time I don't have time to think let alone get lonely. I'm really learning a lot.”
 
“I'd guessed considering when we met you didn't have a clue about engines and now I find you buried in one.”
 
“It's fun.” Harry shrugged, pausing to take a few mouthfuls.
“It's more fulfilling than magic, to know that I've done it myself instead of just waving my wand, you know?”
 
“Sure. How is the magic coming?”
 
“Alright, I really need a tutor soon though. If there are any Wizards among Quatre's people here I haven't met them yet or I've been so covered in muck they can't see my scar.”
 
“I was in England briefly a few weeks ago.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“Your relatives are gone. The house is up for sale.”
 
“Wonder if Uncle Vernon finally got his transfer or if Death Eaters found them?”
 
“No clue, didn't have time to check anything. Maybe you should use it as a practise exercise.”
 
“Maybe.”
----------
Harry stared up at the full moon with foreboding. He knew Remus wasn't dead yet but he had a very bad feeling this month would be the end for his friend. He slipped silently out of his room and down the stairs, easily avoiding the few who were still awake at such a late hour. He picked a random direction and started to walk, knowing instinctively that he needed to be alone for what was to happen.
 
Half an hour later Harry stopped and knelt in the sand, waiting silently as he stared at the moon. There was no warning before it hit, just as Remus had warned him. He lay in the sand as his body convulsed, magic writhing around and through him. Harry screamed as in England the last Marauder howled out his last breath. He wasn't aware of his own screams or the tears that coursed down his face as wave after wave of magic assaulted him, changing him as he finally received his magical inheritance, from three different families. It was something that had taken Sirius and Remus and then Remus and Harry a lot of work to achieve.
 
Through a complicated mix of charms and potions they'd managed to alter the conditions under which he'd receive his inheritance. Usually he wouldn't have received it until he was 21 but they'd all known that would in all likelihood be way too late to do any good. First, Remus and Sirius had worked on the Potter inheritance but they hadn't finished before the mess up in the Ministry. Remus had waited until Harry returned to Hogwarts before telling him about what they'd been attempting. He had eagerly agreed to help, enlisting Dobby's aid when certain things were needed. Sirius had named him his hair, going so far as to use blood magic to make Harry part of the Black family as well as the Potter. So the two had ended up with two inheritances to work with. Four months later Remus had realised he was dieing and, taking a page from his mate's book, had made Harry his blood heir as well. It had taken a lot of hard work and time but during Harry's last stay at Order HQ they'd finally finished it. Knowing he was dieing and that Harry was going to disappear Remus had tied to the spells to his life so that Harry would have a safe way of knowing when he died and to help boost the spells, after all, even death is a type of magic.
-------
Duo woke to someone pounding on his door. He jumped up and ran to open it. A man he didn't know was standing there.
 
“What is it?”
 
“Harry's missing. His bed hasn't been slept in and no one's seen him since dinner last night. He didn't show up for our lesson this morning.”
 
“I'll get dressed, organise search parties.” Duo shut his door and ran for his bag. He didn't want to think what it would do to Fei if Harry had been caught by his kind or worse; the desert was a dangerous place after all.
 
Two hours later Duo was in a jeep with three others, the man who had originally woken him and was one of Harry's combat teachers, a medic and a driver. Harry's teacher, Asad, was clearly worried for his student, as were the other two. Duo smiled faintly at that, Harry was clearly well liked. Duo kept scanning the surrounding sand for any trace of the young Wizard as they drove along.
 
“Stop! Over there!” The young medic, Juri, yelled as he leapt from the still moving jeep. The other three were quick to follow. When they caught up he was kneeling beside something in the sand, working quickly. Duo stepped closer and couldn't hold back a gasp. They'd found Harry.
 
TBC…