Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 19 ( Chapter 19 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still the same!
#ghhg# Phoenix thoughts
Chapter 19
 
 
Pettigrew stared down at the still form of his Master. Since the day Voldemort had sent them all from his presence he hadn't woken. The Death Eaters had been alerted to the fact that something was wrong by their Dark Mark's burning, sending pure agony coursing through their bodies. It had been Malfoy and Snape who had risked their Masters' wrath to enter the room after several weeks of waiting and find the Dark lord sprawled unconscious on the floor, Nagini hissing in agitation from her spot curled up next to him. It had now been four weeks with no change, no matter what potions Snape poured down his throat or the charms the healers cast. Now there was open talk of rebellion, headed by Lucius himself. The aristocrat had always hated bowing to anyone and with Voldemort in his current condition…
 
----------------
“Headmaster.”
 
“Ah, Severus my boy. What news?”
 
“There has been no change in the Dark Lords' condition and still no reason for it. There is open talk of rebellion with Lucius styling himself as the next Dark lord. No mention of Draco's whereabouts. I managed a thorough search of the Manor, if the Dark Lord has Potter the boy is being kept elsewhere.”
 
“You have prepared the necessary potions for when he is found?”
 
“Yes, Potter will fall in line as the perfect little saviour.”
 
“Good. That is all.” Dumbledore smiled as he watched Severus leave. With Tom in his current condition it wouldn't matter if Harry were turned into a spineless little pawn, there would be no challenge in killing the self-named Dark lord. And under the ancient magic's influence Potter would be a willing little martyr, he'd just have to be certain there were no witnesses to the boys death that couldn't be bought or silenced through other means.
 
----------
Fawkes watched from his perch, listening in on Albus' plans for the Potter boy and seething inside. Godric would turn in his grave if he knew what was being planned for his sole remaining heir. Making up his mind the phoenix began to sing.
 
Albus looked at Fawkes as the phoenix burst into song, but not the usual happy, healing song or even the sad one from the Great Hall. This one felt as if it was burning through him and it was, burning any and all connection to the bird so that the phoenix would be free of their bond. Albus gasped and then slumped as the song changed again, this time to one that encouraged sleep.
 
“About time you ruddy bird.” Fawkes looked to the shelf where the Sorting hat was sitting.
“Don't you even think about leaving without these.” With that the hat fell silent, even as three objects fell to the floor. Fawkes took to the air, swooping down to grasp the objects before disappearing in a flash of fire.
 
--------
Harry watched as Wufei and Heero spared, silently cheering his lover on. In the weeks since his first awkward attempt at communication he'd made a few very small improvements, he could blink at will and move his eyes so he wasn't always staring straight ahead. He was also managing to get a weak grasp back on his magic, not enough to do anything with yet but it was there. The problem had been the changes in it since the inheritance spells had kicked in. He'd been told that there were some physical changes, added height and muscle tone but hadn't even thought about the changes to his magic. It now had a wilder feel to it that he knew came from Remus and was a lot deeper, curtesy of Sirius and the full force of the Potter line. He was going to have to be really careful for a while until he fully got it under control. Luckily he didn't seem to have inherited Remus' lycanthropy, although Wufei had commented that his eyes were no longer purely green, they seemed to have amber flecks in them.
 
“They still at it?” He blinked a yes as Duo collapsed next to and slightly in front of him so that he could see the other teen.
“How's it coming? Anything new?” Harry blinked no.
“Don't rush it. Doc's are surprised at your recovery as it is, don't want to give them all heart attacks.” Harry blinked the code for `not funny'. It had taken a while but they had developed a whole code for Harry to use to get his thoughts across, it was complicated and easy to mess up but at least he wasn't stuck with just yes and no.
 
“Duo stop bothering Harry and take my place.”
 
“Yes sir, Wu-man sir!”
 
“Maxwell!” Harry laughed at their interaction and the two pilots smiled seeing the mirth in the teens' eyes even if his face stayed blank.
“As for you Harry, time to go inside, doctors orders.” Harry blinked exactly what he thought of that and Duo cracked up. But there was nothing else he could do as Wufei carefully lifted him into his arms and headed back to the house. Harry frowned, concentrating. What was that? He forced himself to relax and then would have gasped if he were able to. There was something, a feeling of warmth around him. Was he feeling the heat?
“Harry?” He focused back on Fei and blinked that he was all right. He blinked that he wanted Quatre and Juri and Wufei sped up, worried that something was wrong.
 
“Quatre! Juri! Hurry!” He quickly put Harry down on a couch even as Quatre dashed into the room from the direction of his office. Juri arrived a few seconds later.
 
“Wufei? What is it? Is he relapsing?” Quatre spoke quickly even as Juri knelt next to his patient, checking his vitals.
 
“I don't know, he spaced out and then indicated he wanted you two.” Wufei couldn't quit hide his fear.
 
“Harry, can you hear me?” Juri relaxed a little as the teen indicated that he could.
“Is something wrong?” He frowned slightly as Harry indicated no before shifting his gaze as much as he could to Quatre. The empath frowned slightly, concentrating as Harry began broadcasting.
 
“Warmth?” The three exchanged bewildered looks even as Harry blinked yes.
“I don't understand Harry.” Harry focused on the memory of what he'd felt, hoping to send more than just the emotion. Quatre frowned in thought.
“You felt warmth?” Harry relaxed a little, that was better. Wufei perked up a little.
 
“When you spaced out?” At Harry's yes he smiled.
“I was walking through a patch of full sunlight, is it possible?”
 
“Did you feel the sun Harry?” Juri asked, in full professional mode, something he lost as soon as Harry blinked yes.
 
“Yes! That's wonderful Harry.” Fei ran his hand through Harry's hair, happy that it appeared Harry was regaining some sort of feeling.
 
“I need to run a few tests, see how much he can feel.”
 
“Of course, I'll take him up to his room.” Wufei picked Harry up again and headed upstairs.
“I'm so proud of you love.” He whispered once they were out of earshot of the others.
 
--------------
The four pilots were waiting for him as Juri went downstairs.
 
“Well?”
 
“Looks like he's regaining some very vague feeling. He still can't feel touch or anything like that but big enough changes in temperature get a reaction. The change from the shade to full desert sun was enough, a single ice cube isn't. An ice bath would do it though so watch the water temperature from now on or you might get some complaints.” Juri didn't care that he was grinning like an idiot. Considering his patient had been dead almost two months ago after being in a coma for so long he figured he had a right to be acting like a teenager.
 
“So he's still improving.”
 
“Yes, it's slow but there is progress.”
 
“So, his odds for a full recovery…”
 
“Are looking better but are still no where near one hundred percent, closer to forty actually. We simply don't know enough about what caused all this or what is really wrong with him for me to make a more promising diagnosis.”
 
“It's okay Juri, thank you for your honesty.” Quatre smiled politely at the doctor. Duo stayed with Wufei as the others wandered off.
 
“Fei?”
 
“Is it bad to want nothing more than to hear his voice again? To feel his arms wrap around me?” The other pilot whispered. Duo put a comforting hand on his shoulder, dropping the joker's mask.
 
“No it isn't. You want Harry back, we all do. I know he's doing everything he can to come back all the way because he wants those things too Wufei. He loves you; you can see it in his eyes. There's no way he'll give up so don't you dare give up on him or I'll break your precious katana. Got it?” Wufei smiled at his friend.
 
“I get it, thanks Duo.”
 
“No problem Fei. Why don't you go keep Harry company for a bit?” Wufei nodded and headed upstairs, Duo watching until he was out of sight.
“You better get better Harry, I hate to think what it would do to Fei if you don't.”
 
-----
“Better take a look at this.” The paper hit the table with a dull thud.
 
“What is it Draco?” Neville picked the paper up, letting Luna read over his shoulder.
 
“Terrorist attacks have picked up in England, mysterious deaths with no cause.”
 
“Voldemort.” Luna whispered as Draco shuddered slightly.
 
“Why now? It doesn't make sense. I mean, look at the targets, this isn't his usual style.”
 
“Neville's right, it's more my fathers. Before we left the Dark… Voldemort had been very quiet. Rumour had it that it was something to do with Potter. Lucius told me the two share a connection and we all felt that magical explosion before a few months before we left. What if something's happened and it has affected Voldemort to such an extent that he's no longer the one giving orders?”
 
“I suppose it is possible. The night of the explosion, Remus Lupin died and that day was the last we heard from Harry. There's too much for it to be a coincidence. Harry said he had a way to know when Remus died. I know it's a long shot but what if Remus made Harry his blood heir and set it for when he died? That could explain the magic, Harry's reacting and mixing with the Lupin families.”
 
“It was too much for just one family.” Draco couldn't help but sneer; Lupin had been a werewolf after all.
 
“Sirius.” The two males looked at Luna.
“There is no way that Sirius wouldn't have done the same, perhaps James potter as well. What if all three were set for the death of the last true Marauder?” Dead silence was her answer.
 
“Dear Merlin… if, and that's a pretty big if but if that were true then it could explain what's going on. That much magic would have knocked Potter out for a considerable amount of time. Combing magic from three such different families at once would have caused a magical overload, it could have killed him! It would also mean that in all likelihood he's several times more powerful than Dumbledore, maybe even Voldemort. It would even explain his quietness lately, backlash through the link.”
 
“Still doesn't give us anything to find Harry with.”
 
“Maybe, maybe not. Someone has to have picked up exactly where the explosion was.”
 
“We know it wasn't in England at least and it was too far for France.”
 
“That only leaves how many countries?”
 
-----------------
Harry and Quatre stared at the fiery bird in shock, Quatre more so than the young Wizard, after all it wasn't the first time he'd ever seen the phoenix. But if Fawkes was here then the Headmaster knew where he was and everyone in the mansion and surrounding area was in danger of being obliviated, something he didn't want. They were his friends; he couldn't bare the thought of them all forgetting him and his time with them.
 
#Relax young Gryffindor. All bonds with Albus have been burned. I am here for you.# If Harry were capable of it he was pretty sure his face would look a lot like Quatre's at the moment.
#You are injured little one, you need to sleep and heal.# Harry felt comforting darkness creeping through him but fought it; he didn't want to be trapped again! He'd finally managed to feel Quatre brushing his hair yesterday, he couldn't lose that! He fought as hard as he could but lost the fight as the phoenix began to sing a song he'd never heard before, one that stole his strength and will to fight and had him welcoming the darkness. He didn't see Quatre pull a gun and move between himself and the bird, somehow knowing it was doing something to him that he didn't want. Unfortunately for the blond pilot the song could not be aimed at a single person and the gun slipped from suddenly nerveless fingers as he collapsed onto the bed, eyes drifting shut against his will.
 
Fawkes finished his song and watched the two sleep, using a little magic to ensure his presence would remain a secret for now before placing his burden on the nearby desk and settling himself down to keep guard over his new charge and his friend. He had a lot of work to do before the young Gryffindor would be ready to take his place in the world. Only the boy would be able to heal the rift between the two worlds and the fact that he had such friends as the ones in this place was a good sign. An agitated hoot indicated the return of the boys' familiar but it didn't take long to calm her and reassure her that her Master was healing. The phoenix frowned, the magic clinging to the boy was amongst the darkest there was and not even he could fully heal what had been done. Harry would have to finish healing naturally after he woke up again but at least he would have progressed further than he would have if left unaided.
 
Fawkes turned his attention to the small blond who had jumped so quickly to the Gryffindors' aid, his heart held a lot of pain but that was already being healed by the bond with his mate so the phoenix let him alone. The boy would wake in a few hours feeling more refreshed than he ever had before but there would be no other affects, his heart was pure.
 
--------
“Quatre? Little one wake up! Please.” Trowa shook his lover firmly but gently but there was no response. He'd come up to Harry's room as soon as he'd arrived, knowing the younger pilot would be with the teen since they'd been the only ones at the mansion besides the Maganacs. He had at first been amused to see Quatre asleep on the bed beside a sleeping Harry until he'd seen Quatre's gun obviously laying where it had fallen from Quatre's hand. He'd swept the room for threats before approaching the bed and trying to wake both sleeping teens but neither was responding. He remained unaware of the currently invisible phoenix watching him from his perch on the bed canopy. Trowa called for help before turning back to his unconscious lover. It was only a few minutes before Rashid, Asad and Juri rushed in, Juri the only one armed with something other than a gun.
 
“Trowa?”
 
“They won't wake. No sign of a dart or forced entry to the room. Quatre had time to pull his gun.” Juri checked both teens over quickly but thoroughly, frowning the whole time.
 
“There's nothing wrong with either of them, they're just asleep.”
 
“Then why won't they wake?” Rashid questioned, slowly putting away his gun, there was no threat in the room.
 
“I don't know. We'll wait a few hours; if neither has woken I'll set them both up with drips and monitors. When was the last time anyone saw Quatre?”
 
“He came down for lunch and then came straight back up here.”
 
“So it's possible Harry was already out when he got back and surprised someone who then knocked him out. Not all darts leave a mark. All we can do is wait, I'll run full tests on their blood samples, hopefully whatever was used will show up.” Juri left for the lab and Asad headed back downstairs.
 
“I want a guard on this room permanently, Quatre's too.” Trowa stated as he lifted the blond easily into his arms. He hated seeing Quatre laying so limply in them as he carried him to their room and made him comfortable in the bed. He sat beside him, one hand in his hair, the other holding his gun against his leg. No one was getting near his angel while he was there.
 
-------------
Quatre blinked groggily before rolling slightly and snuggling closer to the warm body beside him. Trowa his senses told him.
 
“Quatre? Are you awake? Please little one, answer me.” It was the feeling of barely restrained hope and panic that made him wake all the way and sit up slightly. Familiar arms wrapped around him, pulling up to lean against a warm chest.
 
“Trowa? When did you get home?”
 
“Oh Quatre.” The blond was surprised to feel hot tears hitting his neck and Trowa's body shaking slightly. He turned in the embrace so that he could see his lover. Trowa was crying! Nearly sobbing actually. Quatre didn't have to think, he pulled the taller pilot into his arms, whispering comforting nonsense and sending reassurance through their link. It only took a few minutes for Trowa to calm and relax in the embrace, returning it gently.
 
“Trowa what happened?”
 
“You wouldn't wake up. I got home and you were sprawled on Harry's bed, gun on the floor near your hand. Harry won't wake either. I thought I'd lost you.” Quatre tightened the embrace, trying to remember what had happened but there was a blank spot in his memories. He remembered lunch and going upstairs to sit with Harry and then nothing.
 
“I…I don't remember. Why can't I remember what happened? We were talking and then there's nothing. Is Harry all right? Was anyone hurt?” Trowa hugged him tightly.
 
“No one knew until I called for help. It's all right little one, I'm sure Harry will be fine as well.” The warmth of Trowa's embrace was beginning to seep in and his eyelids began to droop. He was still so tired. Now that Trowa had relaxed his emotions weren't fuelling Quatre's body and sleep was creeping up on him.
 
“So tired Trowa… Need to sleep.” His eyes slid shut and his grip went limp. The suddenness worried Trowa but he had been awake and coherent so hopefully it meant it was safe for him to sleep longer. Trowa looked up as the door opened and Juri stepped in.
 
“Still asleep.”
 
“Only just, he woke up but he doesn't remember what happened. The tests?”
 
“Clear. Harry still hasn't woken, whatever it was hit him harder. Keep an eye on him, call me if you need me.” Trowa nodded and the doctor left.
 
-------
“Think you can stay awake this time?” Quatre smiled as Trowa's voice reached him. He stretched lazily and opened his eyes.
“How do you feel?” Quatre smiled and sat up, eyeing Trowa. His lover obviously hadn't slept.
 
“Fine, better than fine. I feel…I don't know exactly.” He impulsively kissed Trowa, surprising him.
 
“Quatre?”
 
“Shhh.” He kissed him again, hands fumbling at his lovers' shirt, the buttons were very annoying. Trowa gave into the kiss and began working at Quatre's belt as they continued to exchange heated kisses. Clothing was removed as quickly as they could manage without breaking their kissed too often and then they burrowed under the covers, eagerly kissing and touching bare flesh.
 
Fawkes raised his head and gave a short trill of amusement. He hadn't thought about that side effect. Oh well, let the children have some time together. Obviously they didn't get much usually. He settled back down and went to sleep, ignoring Rashid; the man couldn't see him anyway.
 
-----------------
Duo watched Harry as he slept, unable to stop worrying. Quatre had only slept for a day from what Trowa had told him. He'd woken up fine apparently and had left on a mission the next day. He was positive Trowa had been blushing when he said Quat had been fine upon waking leading him to believe the small blond had been more than fine and that Trowa had given him a thorough examination to check. Trowa had left after telling him though and Heero and Wufei were also still away. He was glad that Wufei was meant to be gone for at least another week. He really didn't want him seeing Harry like this again, it would break his heart for sure. Just when Harry had been doing so well, Quatre had told Juri about the hair-brushing incident. Duo grinned, why not? He grabbed Harry's brush and climbed onto the bed, getting them both comfortable before undoing Harry's braid and beginning to brush out the dark hair. It wasn't as dark as Fei's but it was darker than his own, sort of a blackish brown. He didn't remember the reddish highlights from previous times braiding Harry's hair though. He started talking as he brushed, hoping Harry would hear him and wake up again.
 
Harry gave a mental groan, this was getting very old. Thankfully his eyes opened on the second try and he was met with the familiar view of the bed canopy. He could hear Duo talking and managed to roll his eyes enough to know the other teen was behind him. Concentrating he could feel the brush as it moved through his hair. He sighed in pleasure and the brush froze.
 
“Harry? You awake?”
 
Dou continued talking and brushing, lost in his own world. He gently undid the few tangles that had appeared and then froze. He could have sworn he felt Harry's head move slightly against him.
 
“Harry? You awake?” He moved so he could see and sure enough Harry's eyes were open.
“Hey! Welcome back, you really had us worried. Trowa had a fit when he found you and Quat out cold.” Duo squeezed his hand and was pleasantly shocked when he felt the slightest bit pf pressure returned.
“Harry, try to squeeze my hand.” He could see from Harry's eyes that he was concentrating and was about to tell him to stop when he felt it again. Looking down he could see Harry's fingers curl ever so slightly around his own. The grin on his face could have lit the room on its own.
“You did it! Way to go Harry! I've got to get Juri, back in a sec!” With that he was out the door.
 
Harry stared up at Fawkes in annoyance and confusion. Duo obviously hadn't noticed the bird but surely Quatre had mentioned him?
 
#The boy does not remember me and they can not see me unless I wish it. Do not be mad young Gryffindor, unaided it would have taken several more months at least before you were this far along. I regret I can not heal you completely, there is simply too much dark magic for me to do so.# Harry frowned. Dark magic? When was he exposed to that? A vague memory teased him but it wouldn't come so he let it go but it did prove that there was something he hadn't remembered.
 
-------
Wufei watched from the door as Juri worked with Harry. He hadn't expected this when Duo had emailed him the happy news that Harry had squeezed his hand. Juri was making Harry push against him, assessing how much strength he had in his limbs and trying to build more. A barely noticeable smile graced Harry's face as green eyes fell on him and Wufei smiled back.
 
“How is he?” Juri jumped, obviously only Harry had noticed him.
 
“Better, his improvement is incredible. Still no feeling below the waist but he has limited movement and control above. Weak as a kitten still. I thought he was regressing when we couldn't wake him a few weeks ago but since Quatre was unconscious too it's obvious that wasn't the case.”
 
“What?!” Juri gulped.
 
“They didn't tell you?”
 
“Tell me what? What happened?” Wufei all but growled as he sat beside Harry. He smiled slightly as Harry managed to weakly grasp his hand and roll his head towards him a bit.
“Are you all right love?” Harry blinked yes.
“Good. Now tell me what happened.
 
“Trowa returned to find them both unconscious and unresponsive on the bed. Quatre's gun on the floor where it had fallen from his hand. Quatre woke briefly a few hours later and then fully the next day. He suffered no ill effects from the experience. Harry woke nearly a week later and shocked Duo when he managed to squeeze his hand for a second. As you'll notice he can keep up the pressure for longer now.”
 
“I could have sworn I saw a slight smile too when he saw me.”
 
“He is managing a little expression and has the easiest time moving his head.”
 
“Still can't talk though?”
 
“Not a whisper. You both have to face the fact that Harry's voice may be gone; there was extensive damage as if he'd been screaming for a while.” Only Harry saw the phoenix's reaction to that.
 
-------
Fawkes frowned as he listened, he hadn't been aware that Harry had been physically wounded or he would have done something earlier. He waited until the doctor left and Wufei filled a glass with water, moving to sit Harry up enough to drink. While the teen was busy Fawkes flew down to hover over the glass and began to cry into it. He could feel Harry watching him as he continued to cry. The water would dilute the tears so it would take more than usual.
 
Harry stared as Fawkes cried into the glass, more tears than it had taken to save him from the basilisk but those had been in direct contact with the wound. He held his breath as Fei lifted the glass to his lips and gently tipped it, letting the soothing liquid slip down his throat. Once he was done Wufei put the glass down and settled them both down to sleep, falling asleep quickly since he was tired from fighting.
 
“Fei.” Only Fawkes heard the near silent hoarse whisper even as Harry was drifting off himself, a near invisible smile on his face.
 
TBC…