Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still no change.
Thanks for the fast reviewing. Don't expect Harry's recovery to be fast people and there will be no fellow wizards showing up with a miracle cure. Someone mentioned Malfoy, Neville and Luna being on their way to Harry but if you reread it I actually have them heading into space for safety.
 
Chapter 18
 
 
Harry opened his eyes to see Quatre leaning over him, the room lit by bright sunlight. The blond smiled at him and carefully pushed what he assumed were pillows behind him so that he was more upright. At least it meant a change in view from the bed canopy.
 
“Morning Harry. Thought you might like a change of scenery. Juri's going to be up in a bit to unhook the monitor for you since you don't need it anymore. I'm going to be doing your exercises for you since Duo and I finally convinced Wufei to spend some time out in the sun. Maybe we can carry you down to a deck chair in a few days, let you get some fresh air and sunlight. He'll be up in a bit, Juri said you can have a bath and there's no way Wufei will let anyone else do that for you.” Quatre laughed and Harry smiled internally. In the week since he'd first woken all of his memories had gradually returned, at least he thought that was all of them. How would he know if some were still missing? A nagging feeling told him that maybe some were still gone. It had been a shock remembering he was a wizard and a celebrity. He'd tried focusing his magic to do something so they would know he was all right but he couldn't grasp it for some reason and simply ended up frustrated. So today he planned to try something different once both Quatre and Wufei were here.
“Hello Juri.” Harry watched the doctor walk in the door but he soon stepped out of sight, only being able to stare straight ahead was getting very boring but at least he could see the door now.
 
“Good morning Master Quatre. How is the patient?”
 
“Still the same, I think. It is all right for him to be up like that, isn't it?”
 
“No reason not to, in fact it is a good idea. Take some pressure off his back for a while. Wufei will be giving him a bath later?”
 
“He won't let any one else do it.” Quatre grinned and Harry heard Juri laugh.
 
“Good morning Harry, just the usual check up and then we'll unplug you from the monitor. I have to leave the drip in but I'll take it out until after your bath.” From this angle Harry could just make out Juri's hands as the man removed the drip, but he couldn't feel it. He watched as the doctor pricked his hand and elbow before losing sight of what he was doing, he couldn't feel it and his body didn't react to what was probably a very brief stinging sensation. Juri left after a few minutes and Quatre moved into sight again, carefully exercising first Harry's legs before working his way up. He'd just about finished when the door opened and Fei walked in, breaking into a smile when he saw Harry reclining on pillows.
 
“Morning love.” Wufei walked to the bed and bent to brush his lips chastely against Harry's. Harry decided that now was a good time to try his plan. He concentrated, focusing everything he had on his feelings for Wufei. He pushed as hard as he could and was rewarded when Quatre gasped.
“Quatre?”
 
“I felt… Harry? Was that you?”
 
“What? Quatre what did you feel?” Wufei stared at the blond, a look of desperation on his face.
 
“Love, I felt love and I think it was Harry. It happened as you kissed him. Harry, try again, this time try sadness.” Harry focused on every sad memory he had to the point where he should have been sweating with effort.
“It's Harry. You can stop now, that probably takes a lot of effort.”
 
“I knew you were there Harry.” Wufei gently brushed his hand through Harry's bangs and smiled happily at the unresponsive teen.
 
“I can't feel him now. For some reason he has to really focus his emotions or I can't pick them up.”
 
“But this is still a good sign, right?”
 
“Of course, he's reacting to outside stimuli and he understood my request. Obviously he in some way knows who you are or at least what you mean to him.”
 
“I never knew.”
 
“Wufei?”
 
“We talked about it once, at the safe house after Little Whinging. He said he didn't know if he loved me because he didn't know what love is. Guess that's changed.” Wufei smiled at Harry and clasped his hand.
“I love you too.” He kissed the teen again but with more feeling this time. Harry wished so much that he could respond to the kiss.
 
“Maybe we can do some basic communication based on emotional responses, set a certain emotion for yes and another for no?”
 
“Worth a try. Harry, would you like the other pilots here? What are some good emotions to use?”
 
“Sad for no, happy for yes.” Quatre waited and then smiled.
“I'll go get them.” Wufei made himself comfortable on the bed within Harry's eyesight. The four pilots soon came into the room.
 
“What's going on? Is he all right?” Duo was looking from Harry to Wufei in concern.
 
“He's aware of us.”
 
“Did he say something? Duo grinned.
 
“No, he felt something.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I kissed him and Quatre felt him. Harry has since used the emotions Quatre asked him to, proving he can understand us.”
 
“That's great! Good work Harry!” Duo was practically bouncing. Quatre smiled.
 
“Harry's happy. We are going to talk using yes and no questions, with Harry using emotions to answer. Who's first?”
 
“Have you been aware since you woke up?” Wufei asked. Quatre nodded after a second.
“Can you feel anything?” Wufei gently squeezed his hand.
 
“No.”
 
“Do you…do you know who we are?” Wufei held his breath, wanting Harry's reaction to the kiss to have been because he knew exactly who Fei was, not just a reaction to somehow being aware of what Fei usually meant to him.
 
“Yes.” All five teens were relieved by the answer, Wufei the most.
 
“Do you know who attacked you?” Heero was practical as usual and Quatre frowned.
 
“Harry calm down, I can't work it out.” They waited for a bit.
“Ok, he sent a yes and no and a feeling of grief. Harry, did someone die?” Quatre waited for the answer.
“Someone you knew?”
 
“Quat, mind verbalising the answers for those of us who don't speak emotions?”
 
“Sorry. Someone Harry knew is dead.”
 
“Someone from here?”
 
“No.”
 
“Wizard?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Does that have something to do with what happened to you?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Did you know this would happen?”
 
“Yes and no.”
 
“You were expecting to end up in a coma!” Wufei almost yelled.
 
“No.”
 
“Was the attack magical?” Trowa asked.
 
“Yes.”
 
“Was it a real attack?” Wufei had a feeling it wasn't as simple as they had originally thought.
 
“No.”
 
“Was it a side effect of a spell?”
 
“Feels like a maybe.”
 
“Do you remember anything after it but before you woke up?” They looked at Duo.
“What? Some people say comatose people can hear you.”
 
“No.”
 
“There goes that theory. Do you know how long it'll be till your up and about?”
 
“No. Harry calm down, you will get better, you'll see. I think we better leave it there for now; it's getting harder to feel him. Are you getting tired?” Quatre smiled in understanding.
“How about you give him a bath Wufei and then he can sleep. We'll leave you to it.” Wufei stood as the others left.
 
“I'll be back in a second, just have to start the water.” Harry let himself relax, focusing his emotions like that had taken a lot out of him but he really wanted that bath, even if he couldn't feel it.
“I'm going to pick you up now Harry.” Wufei must have been standing just out of sight. His view changing without him feeling the movement was weird but he didn't care. He realised Wufei must have tucked his head under his chin to keep it from lolling about since he could see his knees bent over Fei's arm and his own pyjama clad chest. He stared at the light blue bathroom wall from where he'd been placed on the counter and watched Wufei getting the large bath just right.
“The tubs to big to do this with me on the outside so it looks like we're both having a bath.” Good, he hated being separated from Fei, even if he couldn't feel the contact he still craved it. He watched as Fei stripped down to his boxers and pause, frowning. Why was he stopping? They'd showered together naked when Wufei had been hurt. He realised it must be because of his condition, he couldn't say wether or not he was comfortable with it or not. Harry focused on Quatre as hard as he could, hoping the blond would get the message that he was needed as an interpreter. Sure enough there was a knock only a few minutes later.
 
“Wufei? I think Harry called me.”
 
“Harry, did you call Quatre?”
 
“That was a yes.”
 
“Come in then.” Quatre opened the door and slipped into the now steamy room.
 
“So what's the problem?”
 
“I don't know.”
 
“What were you doing a few minutes ago?”
 
“Stripping, I have to get in with him to hold him above water.”
 
“Does the idea of Wufei being in the tub with you make you uncomfortable Harry?” Harry focused very carefully.
“That was a definite no. Did you put your boxers on when I knocked or hadn't you taken them off?”
 
“I left them on, I didn't know…”
 
“I think that's why Harry called. Did you make an obvious pause?”
 
“Yes. Harry, is that why you called Quatre?”
 
“Yes. Do you want Wufei to leave them on?” Quatre laughed.
“A very definite no.” Wufei blushed slightly.
“Problem solved? Okay, I'll leave you two too it.” Quatre left the room, trying not to laugh any more, poor Wufei. At least Harry knew what he wanted!
 
Wufei looked carefully at Harry who simply stared back, eyes still not fully focused on anything.
 
“I didn't want to assume or make you uncomfortable. I guess, with you like that it makes intimacy feel strange like it would be wrong to do anything because you can't respond or say no. I wish we could somehow communicate. Can you try blinking?” Wufei waited but there was no change.
“Guess not. I know I can't begin to understand how you must feel, being trapped like this but I promise I'm here, no matter what. I'll do everything I can to help you Harry.” He finished stripping and then carefully removed Harry's clothing before gently lifting him again and placing him in the now full tub before climbing in behind him.
“I'm right behind you, I won't let you drown.” Fei whispered in his ear as he lathered a cloth and began to lovingly clean Harry's body.
 
Wufei took his time; enjoying the chance to hold Harry so closely and with the knowledge that Harry wanted him too. He was glad it had been today that Harry had finally managed some form of communication or else he'd be wearing a lot more clothing. If Harry hadn't been, well, Harry anymore this would have been so wrong. But he was still Harry, still wanted him even though he apparently couldn't feel anything. He meant what he said; he'd stay with him even if he never improved more than he already had. It didn't matter to him that Harry couldn't move or talk, it mattered that he loved Harry and Harry loved him. He undid Harry's braid and carefully washed the long dark hair, the extra length and weight had finally tamed the once unruly mop and now it lay fairly straight down his back. After that he got out of the tub and smiled when he noticed that Harry had fallen asleep at some point. Taking extra care so not to wake him, he lifted the sleeping teen from the tub and carried him back to the bed where he slipped him into some fresh pyjamas before settling him back under the covers. He kissed his forehead softly, replaced the IV and slipped silently from the room.
 
-------------
“He asleep?”
 
“I think you were right about focusing like that wearing him out, he fell asleep in the bath. What's your professional feeling Juri?” Wufei turned to the doctor.
 
“No one really knows how Master Quatre does what he does but the fact that Harry is using it to communicate can't be anything but a good sign. What this means in terms of further recovery I can't say. Did he give any indication that he knew what had happened to him?” The pilots exchanged looks, how to explain without mentioning magic?
 
“It wasn't an attack exactly, more like a side effect to something Harry knew was going to happen. He wasn't aware this would happen.”
 
“Well, there isn't really anything more we can do. He's not in any pain I take it?”
 
“Can't feel a thing.” Juri frowned.
 
“That is worrying, it could indicate nerve damage or something along those lines. We'll just have to wait and see.”
 
----------------
“Nice place.”
 
“You chose it Malfoy.”
 
“Yes, well no one would think to look for me here.”
 
“Exactly why are you helping us?”
 
“Because Potter's the best chance for this war without me having to kiss the Dark Lord's robes, something I'd rather not do. I've seen what it has done to my father and I refuse to end up like that. As for stunning Snape, I've been wanting to do that for years.”
 
“But you're his favourite student!”
 
“Only in public. Besides, he's a spy for either Dumbledore or Voldemort; I don't have a clue whose side he's on, except his own. I'm assuming you're in contact with Potter.”
 
“We were, there's been no word for nearly four months now.” Luna frowned as she sat on one of the dingy beds in the hotel room Malfoy had arranged for them on L4
 
“If the Dark Lord had him we'd know. Dumbledore on the other hand…”
 
“He wouldn't do anything to Harry though, he needs him as his little hero.”
 
“Don't be too sure about that. Potter's shown he can think for himself and will rebel. I know he can throw off the Imperious curse but there are potions and spells out there that when combined could make him an obedient little pet, and they all take several months to fully kick in.”
 
“So if Dumbledore has him…”
 
“He won't really be Potter anymore. So be careful if you get anything from him, it may be a trap.”
 
“I don't know if he can contact us here, we were using Dobby as a messenger. Can house elves get to the colonies?”
 
“No. The whole reason we came here is because no one in the Wizarding world has any real interest in the colonies. As long as we don't start casting spells in front of scores of muggles we should be safe, the Ministry doesn't monitor magic up here. Get some rest, we have a lot to discuss.”
 
----------
Dumbledore frowned as he stared into the fire, things were beginning to spiral out of control. First Harry runs away, then Lupin dies at the same time there is a magical explosion, then there was Fawkes' odd behaviour and a few hours later Severus was found, stunned in a corridor and three students had vanished. Add to that the quietness lately of the Dark forces and the fact that Severus hadn't been called in weeks and he was very worried. All attempts to track or contact Harry still failed to get results and if he'd made any withdrawals the goblins weren't talking.
 
 
Things looked very bad indeed from his perspective.
 
TBC…