Fan Fiction / Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Surrey Trouble ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
Sorry for the wait, been really busy. Never let someone convince you to help them paint their house in the middle of summer, way too hot! Glad you all liked the evil cliffhanger, I had fun writing it. The little history snippet in here is totally made up; know nothing about the world history of the GW world.
 
Chapter 17
 
Juri slowly moved to the heart monitor, wanting to stop the awful sound as soon as possible. His hand hovered over the off switch as he frowned. Surely he was seeing things. He waited, a large part of him hoping to see it again. A full minute later he gave up and lowered his hand to the switch only to jump back in shock at Wufei's hopeful query. Juri turned to the bed, joining the others in watching the still body clutched in the pilots' arms. There, barely noticeable and very shallow but it was movement. Juri turned back to the heart monitor as a single beep sounded and then a second one several long seconds later. Smiles were exchanged as the beeping settled into a steady rhythm and the shallow breaths began to deepen.
 
“Juri?” He smiled at Wufei in answer, moving to the bed to check his patient, thoroughly.
 
---
“What's taking so long?”
 
“Calm down Duo. Don't forget that he was dead for several minutes and that he still hasn't woken. They need to make sure he'll keep breathing on his own and check for heart damage and other things the lack of oxygen could have caused.” Quatre tried to calm the pacing pilot. Everyone but the medical staff had been kicked out if the room not even five minutes after Harry's return to life, not even Wufei had been allowed to stay. Trowa and Heero had dragged the stunned pilot off to find him some food and a shower. Now, almost two hours later there had still been no news and everyone was showing signs of growing frustration. Heads turned as the door to Harry's room opened and Juri stepped out.
“Juri?”
 
“His life signs have stabilised fully although they are slow and there doesn't seem to be any damage from his death. The most promising thing though is that he is no longer in a coma.” Wufei was on his feet immediately.
 
“He's awake?”
 
“No, but it appears to be a natural, albeit very deep sleep. He should wake naturally whenever he's ready. There is still the possibility of brain damage though.”
 
“Can I…”
 
“Go ahead.” Wufei slipped into the room as the others shared smiles and slowly began to drift off until only the pilots remained.
“Kid's a fighter all right. Even if he wakes up normal it will take him a while before he's back to full strength.”
 
“As long as he wakes up Juri.” Duo was grinning, happy that things were looking up.
 
---------
“What do you think is wrong with Fawkes?”
 
“I don't know, but I think it has something to do with Harry, it's been too long since his last letter. We need to talk to Dobby, he knows where Harry is, maybe he can check up on him or take us there.”
 
“What's this?” The two teens froze and slowly turned to see Snape scowling at them.
 
“Good evening Professor Snape. Have you seen the lovely...”
 
“Be quiet girl! You were talking about Potter. What do you know?”
 
“Nothing more than anyone else sir.” Neville glared at the hated teacher, loyalty to Harry and Luna giving him the courage to stand up to the loathsome man.
 
“Twenty points from Gryffindor for outright lying to a teacher. Come along, we're going to the Headmaster. He'll find out what you two are hiding.” The two exchanged worried looks that turned to astonishment.
 
“Stupefy!” They watched as Snape collapsed and a figure emerged from the shadows.
 
--------
Nasih smiled at the two sleeping teens. Wufei had an easier time sharing the bed now that Harry was only attached to the heart monitor and a drip.
 
“Still sleeping?” He turned as Asad joined him in the doorway.
 
“And likely to be so for a while yet.”
 
“They look good together, like they fit with each other.”
 
“Because they do fit together. Come, let them sleep.” The two men slipped silently from the room to return to their duties.
 
--------
“What are you thinking about so hard little one?” Quatre smiled and cuddled closer to Trowa in their bed.
 
“Harry and Wufei. If he wakes up and he isn't our Harry anymore…”
 
“We will help them both deal with it. We won't abandon Harry.”
 
“I know. I wrote up a will, just in case. In it there's a clause for Harry's continued care for the rest of his life if he's well… He won't ever be put in one of those hospitals if I can help it.” Trowa smiled and kissed him gently.
 
“Wufei will appreciate the gesture.”
 
“I don't know what else to do.”
 
“Wait and see, he may be all right, at least to the point where he can function in society.”
 
“I really hope so. Harry's my friend.”
 
“Mine too.”
 
--------
“Man, I thought Wufei was going to start threatening people with his sword if those doctors had taken any longer.” Duo chuckled slightly as he lent over Heero who was working on his laptop.
“It's great that Harry's doing better. Soon he'll wake up and Wufei won't be as grumpy!”
 
“Don't get your hopes up.”
 
“Heero, Harry will wake up. You heard Juri.”
 
“Hn. Will he still be Harry?” Duo paled at that and Heero wrapped his arms around him in comfort.
“I'm sorry but you have to accept that it is a possibility, a likely one.”
 
“I know, it's just… I really like Harry. He's great! Loads of fun once he opens up and he's good for Fei. I can't stand the thought that he might never be really better. It'd kill Wufei.”
 
“Quatre updated his will.” Duo stared at his lover in confusion.
“Harry will be cared for until he dies if he needs it.”
 
“That's Quat for you, always looking out for everyone. Do you think a magic doctor could do something for him?”
 
“Unknown. We have no way to contact one.”
 
“There's Hedwig, she could probably find one. She's a really smart owl, found my lock picks in seconds.”
 
“Birds like shiny things and they were in your hair, where she was sitting. Too risky, he's hiding remember? We have no defence against them.”
 
----------------
Consciousness came back slowly to the dreamer and with it pain unlike anything he'd ever felt. In agony he tried to scream but something was wrong, he couldn't feel anything from his body. In too much pain to think and still exhausted he let darkness reclaim him, seeking even temporary refuge from the pain.
 
Wufei turned to the bed and studied Harry's sleeping form. He frowned as he tried to work out what had disturbed him even as he made his way to the bed. Concerned he checked the monitor's print out and froze. Harry's heartbeat had spiked for a second or two before settling back down. Now worried he paged Juri and sat on the edge of the bed, brushing his fingers through Harry's bangs, smiling as he moved to toy with the lengthening braid.
 
----------
“What's wrong?” Quatre looked at Wufei as he made his way into the dinning room.
 
“Nothing, hopefully. Harry's heartbeat spiked for a few seconds around three this afternoon. Juri checked him over. Two options, either they missed some sign of heart damage or…”
 
“Or? Come on Fei, don't leave us in suspense!” Heero smacked his lover lightly and the braided pilot settled down.
 
“Or he woke very briefly, well at least he started to wake.”
 
“Let's hope it's the second option.”
 
-------
His second foray into the land of the living was marked by a definite decrease in pain but he still couldn't feel his body. Concentrating hard he tried to open his eyes but nothing happened. He fought not to panic, knowing it would do no good. Where was he? What was wrong with him? Why couldn't he remember? Then again he was having trouble remembering anything and he knew there were several very important things he needed to remember. But what were they? Who was he? This time as the blackness came he tried to fight it but to no avail. He slipped back into full unconsciousness again.
 
Wufei watched as the monitor settled back to the steady, slow beeping he'd gotten very accustomed too. This time the spike had lasted nearly a full three minutes. He found himself praying that it meant Harry was trying to wake up and not that the teen was building up to heart failure, he didn't think he could handle that.
 
----------
Neville hugged Luna as they sat at the station. He was just as nervous as her but he was fighting not to show it, to be brave for her. So much had changed in the last five days since they'd fled Hogwarts and more would change once they reached space. Neither liked the idea but he'd been right, nowhere else was safe at the moment from both Dumbledore and Voldemort. Neville looked over at their unlikely ally and smiled slightly. Who would have ever thought that he'd be willingly following Malfoy anywhere?
 
----------
Wufei looked at Juri as the man studied the test results in silence.
 
“His heart's fine, no sign of damage.”
 
“So…”
 
“Looks like he's trying to wake up. Talk to him Wufei, let him know you're here and waiting for him.” Juri smiled and left, far happier than he'd been since Harry had started breathing on his own.
 
“Hear that love? Your heart's fine. All you have to do now is wake up Harry. I know you can do it. Everyone misses you, even Heero `I don't care about anyone' Yuy. I miss you so much. Asad says that you've come a long way in your fighting. We've never had the chance to truly spar because of my leg and then missions and you getting hurt. Bet I can still beat you without breaking a sweat. Duo says you're a natural at lock picking and he misses teaching you the tricks of the trade. I'm still trying to decide if that should worry me or not. Nasih keeps giving you weird looks. Why does he call you Minkah? He refuses to tell me or what it means. Please Harry, wake up.” Wufei got comfortable on the bed, pulling Harry into his arms for the night.
 
---------
This time there was something different. He frowned trying to figure it out but it was hard to focus on anything as his mind drifted. There! It was a noise, he couldn't work it out yet but it was gradually getting clearer. He smiled in triumph as he realised it was a voice.
 
“In 2080 AD the last of the British monarchy was killed and the country moved to a dictatorship which lasted for nearly a century before they joined the other European countries as part of the then emerging Romerfeller Foundation…” He knew that voice, didn't he? He didn't know what it was talking about but he was almost sure he knew it from somewhere. He fought against the darkness that trapped him, wanting to open his eyes and see the owner of the voice. Did this person know him? He wanted to scream as he felt himself once more start to drift off into the darkness.
“Wake up soon Harry love.” As darkness claimed him he smiled, his name was Harry.
 
Wufei put the book down and smiled as he noticed the spike had lasted nearly ten minutes. He needed to find something more interesting to read to Harry than British history though, probably helped put him back to sleep.
 
-----------
Harry fought to open his eyes, wanting to see the owner of the voice. It had been there every time he'd managed to get clear of the darkness and he was now positive he knew the person. He just couldn't remember them yet. He concentrated as a second voice joined the first.
 
“Any change Wufei?”
 
“No, he still hasn't woken but the spikes are lasting longer and becoming more frequent. In fact, one started two minutes ago.”
 
“Can he hear us?”
 
“I don't know, Juri said he might be able to so we should talk to him. Help him wake up.”
 
“Can't hurt. Hey Harry, it's Duo. Just stopped by to say bye. I've got a mission so I'll be gone for a few days at least. If Fei gets too boring just hit him, I'll see you soon. Later Fei.”
 
“Stay safe Duo.” Wufei! Harry focused and a blurry memory began to come to him off a teenager with a ponytail and a katana leading him somewhere. He wanted to cry as the memory drifted away but forced himself to focus, this time on the name of the second voice, Duo. It was harder but finally he remembered an excitable teen with incredibly long hair dressed in black and laughing. But that memory too drifted way, leaving him exhausted and frustrated.
“Come on Harry, please come back to me love. I need you.” Love? Wufei loved him? He began to struggle again desperate to see him. And once again darkness claimed him before he could succeed. His last thought was that he was getting very sick of this.
 
----------
Something was different, the darkness he had become so accustomed to had a different feel to it but he couldn't put his finger on what was different. A sudden flare of light caused him some pain before he became familiar with it. He stared in shock; instead of the usual endless darkness there was a silver canopy above him. It disappeared for a second to his confusion before he realised, he'd blinked.
 
“Harry? Harry can you hear me? Do you know who I am?” A face gradually came into focus above him and he knew it was Wufei. He tried to answer but nothing happened. Wufei's smile gradually faded as the silence lengthened. He wanted so much for the smile to come back but try as he might he couldn't speak, couldn't even move except for the occasional involuntary blink. He saw Wufei raise his hand but realised to his horror that he couldn't feel it. He watched as the other teen obviously squeezed, hoping for a reaction that Harry couldn't give.
“Harry? Please, try to squeeze my hand.” He focused with everything he had but nothing happened.
“It's okay love, you're awake, and that's all that matters. I missed you so much Harry. The others have been covering my missions for me, I'm not going anywhere, I promise. You just work on coming back to me.” Harry wanted so much to react, to let Wufei know he was there and that he could hear him but his body refused to cooperate, no matter what he tried. He couldn't even ask what was wrong with him since most of his memories were still all but non-existent.
“You'll get better and then you can tell me who did this to you and I'll kill them for hurting you. If Asad hadn't realised you were missing I hate to think what would have happened to you in the desert in the condition you were in. You were in a coma for thirteen weeks and now asleep for two. You…” Wufei paused, raising a limp hand to kiss the back of it making Harry want to smile at the tender gesture.
“You died Harry, Juri turned off the life support and you died. No one knows what made you come back; we're all just grateful that you did. So you have to get better, I refuse to believe that you went through all of that to end up stuck like this forever.” Fifteen weeks. He'd put his friends through fifteen weeks of hell and he couldn't even remember much beyond who he was and what Wufei meant to him. He felt like crying at the pain in Fei's voice and hated his helplessness.
 
---------
Wufei switched the light on as he walked into Harry's room. The last spike had been around lunchtime and had lasted over half an hour so he was in a pretty good mood. He froze as he reached the side of the bed. He blinked but the scene didn't change, Harry was staring at the canopy. He stood frozen in shock as Harry blinked but otherwise remained still. Was he dreaming? Sitting on the bed he lent over Harry so that he was looking into familiar green eyes.
 
“Harry? Harry can you hear me? Do you know who I am?” He smiled as he looked down into his lovers face but that smile faded as Harry didn't answer and although he was staring straight at Wufei his eyes didn't seem to be totally focused. Movements slow with dread he clasped a limp hand and raised it, squeezing gently in encouragement.
“Harry? Please, try to squeeze my hand.” He waited but nothing happened, he gave another hopefully comforting squeeze.
“It's okay love, you're awake, and that's all that matters. I missed you so much Harry. The others have been covering my missions for me, I'm not going anywhere, I promise. You just work on coming back to me.” There was still no reaction from Harry; he just stared blankly upwards at Fei. It was like there was no one home and it scared him more than he wanted to admit.
“You'll get better and then you can tell me who did this to you and I'll kill them for hurting you. If Asad hadn't realised you were missing I hate to think what would have happened to you in the desert in the condition you were in. You were in a coma for thirteen weeks and now asleep for two. You…” Wufei paused, swallowing the urge to cry even as he lifted Harry's limp hand to his mouth and tenderly kissed the back of it. He couldn't bear to think that Harry would never again laugh when he did that and then eagerly reciprocate. It was so hard to finish what he had started saying but he had to, he had to believe that Harry could somehow hear him, was able to understand him.
“You died Harry, Juri turned off the life support and you died. No one knows what made you come back; we're all just grateful that you did. So you have to get better, I refuse to believe that you went through all of that to end up stuck like this forever.” If that was true than he would do everything he could to make his life comfortable. Quatre had told him that Harry would have a place at any of his homes for as long as it was needed or wanted, even if something happened to the blond. He refused to believe that this was it, that Harry had been reduced to this.
 
He finally lost the fight and a single tear made its way down his face to land softly on Harry's cheek to trail down his face, leaving a track similar to the one on the other side. Wufei started. He looked closer. Sure enough there was a tear track on Harry's other cheek but one that started at an unfocused green eye. He felt a flicker of hope at the sight. It could just be an involuntary reaction to the light but it could also mean Harry was somehow aware of what was going on. He smiled shakily.
 
“Crying Harry? Me too. Guess that means we're both idiots.” His smile became less shaky as a second tear joined the first.
“It's okay Harry, cry all you want. I don't care.” He moved so that Harry lay against his chest and wrapped his arms around him.
“I've got you love, you're safe. Just come back someday.” For the first time since he'd learnt of Harry's condition Wufei fell asleep with a smile on his face.
 
TBC…
I came soooo close to killing Harry but I figured you'd kill me if I did! Seriously thinking about writing a version where he does die though. Hopefully the next update will be quicker. Thanks for the reviews!!!!