Fan Fiction ❯ MGS: DOA ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
CHAPTER 2
 
The pilot had returned to the cockpit upon liftoff, while Snake and Helena took seats in the back. A little winded, Helena stared out the window, “I'll never make fun of Tina's work again.” “You say something?” started Snake. “Nothing, just thinking out loud. I wonder how long I can keep away this time.” Snake watched her for a moment as she stared blankly at the clouds. “So,” he tried to sound casual, “why were you there in the first place?” “Quite frankly,” she turned to face him, “politics. My father once owned DOATEC, but since he died, the corporation has splintered. I can't prove it, but that particular sect was responsible for his death in the first place.” `It's a start.' Thought Snake, “Then why don't they just kill you, too?” “I don't know what kind of people you're used to dealing with Mr. Snake, but assassination is a risky business and best avoided whenever possible.” “The people I'm used to,” he replied, “are always too involved in high stakes to care.” Snake still couldn't figure her out, but then, his relation with his “father” was completely different. “So where do you go from here, Helena?” She suddenly seemed as if she remembered something, “That depends. Where are you going from here?” Snake shook his head, “I'm getting tired of saying this, but excuse me?” “Why were you sneaking around in there. I said before that I wasn't going to let an opportunity pass me by and I meant it. If you and your people know so much about DOATEC, then maybe you have the proof I need.” Now it was Snakes turn to remember something, “Proof, I almost forgot. Look, we'll figure out what to do with you later.” Snake rapped on the cockpit wall. After a moment, Snake heard the pilot say something to the co-pilot, then get up to come to the back.
As Helena got her first good look at the pilot, she nearly gasped. “Good evening Helena,” the man smirked, “this is an unexpected pleasure.” Snake thought Helena looked much like a fish, her mouth opening and closing, and again he saw the pent up rage. “What,” she spat “the hell, is he, doing here?” “Somehow I'm not surprised,” Snake lied, “You two know each other?” Helena didn't say a word. “Yes Snake, Miss Helena knows me, in a way.” Looking at Helena, he decided to explain a bit. “I was brought in because I know DOATEC inside and out. I don't know what Snake has told you, but I have my own reasons for deciding to help.” Helena looked back and forth between the two men. Snake broke the silence. “If you'd like to rest, there's a seat back there that reclines a bit. Bayman here and I have some things to discuss.” “If you don't mind, Snake,” Bayman interrupted, “I'd rather you didn't use my name during this operation. We all have our little secrets.” “OK fine, but `hey you' is gonna get tiring real fast. You're not exactly a permanent member of the team, so what would you prefer?” “I think,” he began, “Beowulf would be appropriate for-” “I can't believe this!” Shouted Helena, apparently coming out of her shock. “You're siting here discussing codenames with a damn murderer!” Snake shook his head, “This is gonna be a long flight.”
“Get ready for landing.” It was the first thing Snake had said to Helena since `get in the back and get some sleep.' She hadn't slept a wink, but rose up to glance out the window. The sun had risen, but that wasn't the only change. “Um, Snake, that's the ocean.” “Really,” he smiled, “hadn't noticed.” As Helena secured a buckle, confused, the chopper began descending toward the water. To her surprise, she saw a submarine come crashing to the surface. Even more surprising than its sheer size, a segment of the top opened to reveal a small landing bay. She began wondering about what she had gotten into as the overhead doors closed and the internal lighting came on. As Snake jumped off, Helena saw a man in a lab coat with wire rim glasses come jogging across the room. “What happened out there Snake? The thermal imaging went crazy just before you called in for a pick-up, there are reports of a forest fire coming in and- hello, what's this?” Helena had just climbed off the craft and Otacon found himself staring at her green eyes. “Down boy,” muttered Snake as he passed by. “This is someone I picked up along the way.” “You what?” said Otacon softly, clearly not paying attention. “Helena, Hal, Hal, Helena. There, you've been introduced.” Snake added lower, “You can stop staring now.” “Huh, oh, right.” Helena was looking around the room and had just noticed the newcomer. “Um, pleased to meet you. Are you the one in charge?” “Me? No no, I'm kind of support, I'm an engineer. My names Hal, Hal Emmerich, but everyone calls me Otacon, you know, like otaku convention. I know it sounds kind of silly but-” Snake slapped him on the shoulder, “You're babbling Otacon. Come on, I'd like to get out of this sneaking suit.” Otacon blushed, “Right, sorry. Um, I think we have a place where Miss Helena can stay until we, well, what exactly are we doing with her?” “Don't ask me,” Snake sighed, “nobody tells me anything. Speaking of which, why the hell didn't anyone tell me that place was sitting on a nuclear plant?” At this point Bayman had disembarked. “You asked if we could cut the power to the place. I said `no, they supply their own power.' What more did you want?” Otacon, decided to chime in and calm things down a bit. “Look, we'll discuss it at debriefing. Miss Helena, if you're feeling up to it I think you might be able to answer some questions.”
Helena couldn't believe how fast everything was happening. Just last night she was still stuck at DOATEC and now she was sitting in on some kind of pseudo-military meeting with the people who had, unintentionally, broken her out. Snake was mad because someone who was supposed to be there was missing; they just said “the colonel.” She answered a few questions about her conditions at the compound but couldn't really provide anything useful. When the discussion turned toward Snakes actual mission, however, she listened with interest. “The lead turned out to be a damn good one. Bayman was right, DOATEC has picked up the project, and now I know why.” “Excuse me,” Helena chimed in. “What project?” Snake explained to her that a rogue nation had once planned to wage war with a weapon called a Metal Gear, a bipedal tank with a sophisticated nuclear armament. Since then, the project had been renewed several times, but he had managed to destroy the weapons before they were launched. They had picked up on a lead that DOATEC had dealings with a new project and decided to check it out. Apparently, the rumor was correct. “The one thing that puzzled us was why DOATEC would bother with it.” “But that doesn't make any sense,” Helena sputtered, “I wouldn't put it past DOATEC to develop weapons, but that's not their style. They're usually more, well, subversive. They don't blow stuff up, they cut their enemies almost surgically.” “Well, now we know.” Snake continued his debriefing. “While I was inside I found file on a project called Heaven Reborn. I believe it's in reference to Outer Heaven, the original developers of the Metal Gear. However, the file also contained information on another DOATEC project. It was simply called project Epsilon.” At this Helena froze. “I take it you've heard of the project? I'll go on for everyone else's sake then. Epsilon was designed to use genetic engineering to produce some kind of ultimate ninja.” He paused to look around the room. “Sound familiar, Otacon?” “Of course.” Otacon stood up and began pacing. “The genome soldiers in Alaska. But, it couldn't possibly be the same project, could it?” “No,” Snake continued, “but apparently Project Epsilon was less than successful. Whoever is trying to rebuild Metal Gear would need a lot of resources, and DOATEC's got more money than half the world's nations. So, they made a trade. DOATEC was provided with priceless information about genetics in return for funding the construction of a Metal Gear.”
Snake fell silent and Hal seemed stunned. Helena was looking between the two of them, then shot a glance at Bayman, who merely shrugged. “Um,” said Helena quietly, “I'm guessing that this is something rather, well, important?” Otacon started to pace again, mumbling something to himself. “Are you alright Mr. Emerr… I mean, Otacon.” She was worried that maybe he was having some kind of breakdown. “Alright?” he cried, “Alright!? Do you have any idea what this means!?” “”Well,” she answered meekly, “no. I really don't.” Snake gave him a stern look, “Sit down Otacon, you're not gonna like the next part.” Otacon was still shaking, but fell back to his seat. “I'm not very good at softening things up so I'll just say it. They're using the “Rex” design.” At this, Otacon fell quiet. “But… but that's impossible. Where did they… who knew… it can't be, NO! I won't let them use me, not again… not again.” He stood up again and started towards the door, stopping with his palm on the handle. For a moment, he just stood there, shaking. “I'm sorry Snake, I did it again, didn't I?” He wiped his eyes of the growing tears. “I'm sorry, I won't fall apart again. I just… I'm gonna get some rest.” With that he left the room. Bayman snorted, “What the hell was that about?” After Helena glared at him, she added, “I'm a bit confused myself. Did I say something wrong?” “No,” grunted Snake, looking at the door, “I did, but there was no other way to put it. Otacon was the designer of Metal Gear Rex. He was told it was under development as a missile defense system. But he was used. Rex was designed as a mobile platform for launching nuclear weapons. Until now I almost thought he'd let it go. Just give him a little time, he'll be OK. In the meantime, I've got some more questions for you two.” Helena felt sorry for Otacon, as she knew what it was like to be a corporate pawn. Bayman did as well, but was less sympathetic. “Anyone who designs something like that should expect it to be mis-used.” “Look!” Shot Snake, “I said let it go. I owe my life to that man and you will not insult him in front of me, got it?” The two stared at each other, neither blinking. “All right Mr. Snake. My apologies, I will not bother him about it.” He didn't sound very sincere, but Snake decided to let it go, for now. “There is a list of names, all Japanese. I need to know if either of you have heard of them having any connection to DOATEC.” He flipped to another page and skimmed the document. “Here, the names are Kasumi, Hayate of the Mugen-Tenshin, Ayane, and Hayabusa.” He looked up into Bayman's stunned face and Helena rolled her eyes. “I take it then you've heard of them.” Helena was the first to answer. “Yes Snake, all of them. And if DOATEC needs them for what I think it would be in your best interest to find them. Quickly.”