Fan Fiction ❯ MGS: DOA ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

_________________________________________________________________ ______
CHAPTER 5
 
The small fire had long since died. There were a few smoldering embers barely cast a faint glow now, but Kasumi didn't mind. The stars were so pretty that night, though she found that she was longing for a roof overhead and a warm place to sleep. She had been lying awake for some time, wondering why he had sent that message. Could something have happened to the clan? Though she was no longer welcome there, she could not help but worry about her brother. Her thoughts were broken as a low rumble warned her of the encroaching storm. It appeared that she would need shelter tonight after all. After removing any sign of her fire, she decided to head North. There was a large shrine about a mile upriver where she was welcome. The only caretaker would not be there tonight anyway, so she had no worries of being seen. She had not yet reached it, though, when the rain began. Quickening her pace, she saw the shrine on the bank. There was a small dock where the caretaker from down-river would tie up his boat and rising up from the shore were the many steps leading to the shrine. Five at a time she ascended them. At the top, she paused a moment in the front square and bowed briefly. Then she rushed into the building. She paused in the entryway, realizing that she was dripping wet and she did not want to cause more work for the caretaker. Then she smiled as she looked by the step. “Thank you Nanasawa-san,” she said quietly, “you're too kind.”
After changing into the robes that were left for her, she entered the shrine to pay her respects. There was a small side room that she had been given permission to use if she needed it. As always, she had been hesitant at first to accept any help at all, but Nanasawa had earned Kasumi's trust and had been very kind. Kasumi laid down on the futon and, reluctant or not, took great comfort in the bedding. She did not fall asleep, however. Her thoughts were still dwelling on the short message. “He couldn't have known where I am.” She said to herself. Then she smiled, “He must have had that silly bird trained to only deliver to me. Poor thing, coming all the way from Hokkaido.” She shivered, as a small draft passed her. Curious, she arose and opened the shoji door, peering into the main shrine. Without a sound, she crossed over to the opposite side and opened another door. There was a small deck overlooking the river. As she peered around. She suddenly became very tense. Though the rain was pouring now, there was a boat at the dock. She spun around, expecting someone to be right behind her. Only the silence and the rain greeted her. Silently again, she crept into the shrine, her left hand reaching for her wakazashi, but it wasn't there. She realized that she left it by her clothes. She waited for what seemed an eternity, not moving, not making a sound, waiting for something, anything. Suddenly there was a flash of lightening and she saw a form lurking in the shadows. As the room lit, she dashed for the door where her clothes were drying, but the other was faster and closer. The dark form rolled forward and snatched up the blade, then sprang upright to face Kasumi, who stopped and readied herself for the attack. “You're slipping Kasumi. A year ago this would have never left your side.” She knew that voice! Part of her shouted for joy, but her more wary side prevailed. “I can't go back, Ryu. You know that.” “Is that any way to greet a comrade, a friend? I'm not here to kill you, nor to take you back.” At this she could no longer hold back, she rushed forward and embraced him, crying. He did not return the embrace, but did not push her away either. “Come now, you're made of harder steel than that.” She managed to choke back her tears, but didn't let go. “You don't know what it's like. You can't know. It's been so long, so long, without anyone. No family, no clan, no one I could trust.” She let him go and stood back, trying to regain her composure. “I'm sorry, I just had to forget for a moment. I've never stopped hoping that somehow it would change.” Ryu almost said something, but decided to let her get it out. “I know better, though. I can't go back. So,” she had calmed herself, “why are you here, then?” Ryu looked down at the floor. “I am here only so that nothing happens.” Kasumi was confused. “I don't understand.” He breathed in deeply. “You must leave this place as soon as possible. The clan knows you're here, but, more importantly, they know as well.” Kasumi realized instantly from his emphasis on “they” who he meant. “Our spy reported that they are seeking you out again, though we're not sure why. Naturally, when the information regarding your whereabouts was brought in, Hayate was expected to act on it and send someone to dispatch you.” At this point he stopped. Kasumi understood what he meant and what he was willing to sacrifice to keep her safe. If anyone found out that he had not killed her on sight, he could be punished. And the Shinobi only had one punishment. “That is why you came, then? For appearance's sake?” “Yes,” he replied, “Hayate knew that anyone else would have followed through and tried to kill you.” At this he let slip a small smile, “Not that it would have mattered.” He returned to his normal, grim, expression. “Aside from Hayate and I, there is only one other in the clan who knows your whereabouts, the spy, of course. She protested the decision not to send her, but I do not believe she will disobey.” “She,” Kasumi said thoughtfully, “when was Ayane assigned to spy on DOATEC?” “I'm sorry, Kasumi. I've already said more than I should have. You must leave, tonight. We do not know when they plan to act, but the longer you remain here, the more danger you are in.” “Of course,” Kasumi said quietly, reaching for her clothes. Ryu hesitated for a moment, wishing things could have been different. “Here,” he said, handing her back here blade, “I will wait to see you off.” With that, he opened the door and stepped out into the rain.
Though she did not wish for Ryu to leave, Kasumi did not waste any time changing back into her clothes. They were still not dry, but she knew it wouldn't matter, as she would be travelling in the rain anyway. As she finished, she paused and stared at the door. She smiled and spoke softly to herself. “You can't always be there for me. Someday, Ryu-chan, I must prove to you that I no longer need your protection…” the smile faded once more, “no matter what my brother made you promise.”
Just as she reached to open the door, there was shouting outside. She could hear Ryu, “I said leave at once! You have no business with this place!” There were gunshots and she bolted away from the door. “Where did he go? - What the Hell? - Who is that-AAGGHHHHH!” This was her chance, she threw open the door and rolled out into the square. There was one body already on the ground and she saw Ryu impale a second. Kasumi saw a third swing his weapon around. “RYU!!” She screamed at him. He quickly pulled the body in front of him as bullets ripped from the man's gun. Using their own armor against them, Ryu threw the body at his attacker and leapt overhead, landing squarely behind him. With a quick slash, the man screamed as his arm came cleanly off, then was silenced with Ryu's second strike. Ryu had sheathed his katana before the decapitated body hit the ground. He looked up at Kasumi. “There are more coming. You must run, now.” “I am not a child!” She shot back, “I will stand with you here!” He glanced down the steps to the river, where more men were pouring out of a second boat. “I'm sorry Kasumi, but I don't have the time. You're going.” He then did what no man had ever managed to do. He grabbed Kasumi and literally swept her off her feet. As he charged inside, she was so surprised that she didn't even think to struggle. He raced across the room with her in his arms until he reached the other side of the temple. Exiting onto the walkway, he looked at the river-bend below. He stared right into her eyes. “Whatever you do, don't look back.” Before she could answer, he tossed her over the side, into the water some 30 feet below. As soon as he saw her surface, he turned and started back to the entrance. Six men armed with rifles came bursting through the door. With a quick Shinobi salute, he drew his blade and charged into the room.