Fan Fiction ❯ Mystify ❯ Gray ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 4: Gray
 
By: Brynn Parker
 
----
 
She's so beautiful.
 
The warned me against falling in love with a magic user when I joined the Temple Guard, but she's just so beautiful.
 
I doubt if she even knows who I am, but it almost seems like she does. To have her arms around me, like when I came to get her from her room, is now what I live for.
 
She just found out she killed Medea. She's hysterical, her eyes wild. All I can do is try to keep her quiet. The crowds are growing, and the High Priest isn't waiting. I need to get her moving before he complains, otherwise I'm sure I'll be punished. Everyone knows that Medea's death was not caused by Freya, that the older magic user committed suicide; but I can't tell the girl I've fallen in love with, no matter how much I want to.
 
A sudden pain in my head sends me falling onto my back, my hands clutching my skull. Freya stands unsteadily and stares down at me, a vacant look in her icy blue eyes. I don't want to hurt you, a voice says in my head.
 
It can't be...Freya? Her mouth isn't moving, yet I'm sure that it's her voice echoing in my head. The other guards move towards me and Freya swings her hand towards them, knocking everyone in the area over.
 
“Freya, what are you...”
 
Help me, her voice says in my head. The surrounding Khryssans are beginning to panic. A few men have drawn their swords.
 
“Alright...alright...” I say, “What do you want me to do?”
 
Your sword, she says in my head. I don't know what she's going to do, but I take out my sword and hand it to her anyway. She catches it with her power, leaving it hovering over me, and I wonder if I'm going to die here at the hands of a person that doesn't even know my name.
 
Apparently, she has other plans.
 
Turning towards the High Priest, she advances on him, my sword hovering in front of her and glowing with a blue light. I find my eyes drawn to the scene as she slashes through the remaining guards, their quicksilver blood spilling across the floor, and she comes to stand before the High Priest, no expression on her face.
 
“No!” he screams, “You didn't kill Medea-“
 
I finally look away as Freya plunges my sword into the High Priest's chest, and I know that I'm the only surviving member of Freya's host.