Fan Fiction ❯ Mystify ❯ Freya ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 5: Freya
 
By: Brynn Parker
 
----
 
Eight.
 
That's how many I've killed in my life: one of them was the boy I accidentally killed during meditation. Five were the guards that idiotically stood in my way. One was the High Priest.
 
The most important was Medea.
 
I'm a murderer.
 
I wander through the mountains for what seems like days, finally getting out in a village on the Khryssan border, inside the Empire but generally out of its grasp. The people are afraid of me, probably because I'm covered in blood.
 
I go back into the mountains to an underground spring I found on the way, carefully stowing away my necklace with my two sets of clean clothes. The cold water is soothing after being out in the sun for the first time, but I know I can't linger long; the Emperor has probably sent people out after me. I hastily rinse the blood out of my hair, off of my skin, and off of my clothes.
 
I trade for the supplies I need in the village with my extra sets of clothes, and depart as soon as I can. I'm going to find the village that the bird flew to, where the children play in the sun.
 
Unfortunately, the sun has other plans. As I walk across the plains it burns my skin and makes my insides boil. I've never been in this much heat; it seems like I'm walking through fire. Sweat pours off of my now red skin, and I press my magically cool necklace against my forehead.
 
Just as I reach the village, I die.
 
----
 
Author's Note: Short chapter, I know...just wanted you to see how she felt.