Fan Fiction ❯ Mystify ❯ Sam ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6: Sam
 
By: Brynn Parker
 
----
 
“What is it Sam?” one of the younger boys asks me, poking it with a stick. I slap his hand away.
 
“It's not to be touched,” I say roughly. I don't know why I don't want anyone to touch it; to be honest, I don't even know what it is. At the moment, it looks like a bunch of dirty white cloth and silver string...with an aura.
 
“Back away,” I order. Being the oldest boy in the village at fifteen, I feel obligated to keep the children safe. I carefully put a hand out and lip the bundle over, seeing what I think is skin. No...it can't be human...
 
“What is it?” the younger boys chime in.
 
“Gods...” I murmur, wiping the dust away. It's a girl, but she's got the strangest coloring...skin as red as a tomato, as if she had very pale skin and was badly burned. And the silver cord...it's her hair.
 
“It's a person!” another boy says, excited. He gets considerably less excited when he looks closer. “Is she...is she OK?”
 
I quickly stand up, blocking the girl from sight. She's very ill, if not dead, and I don't want the younger children to see. “Go and get the healers,” I command. When they just stare at me I glare right back at them. “Now!”
 
They run away quickly and I turn back to the girl. She's beautiful under that burned skin...damn it Sam, don't be thinking of girls now, it's not important at the moment! Restraining those thoughts from popping back into my head, I check her pulse.
 
She's dead.
 
Good, then I can do something for her.
 
I sit down next to her and put my hands on her shoulders, then focus my energy into materializing my soul in the Spirit World. I'm suddenly standing in a foggy room, white walls surrounding me and purple mats on the floor. This is the girl's home; where she's spent most of her life, and it scares me. It resembles Khryssan architecture...and if she's Khryssan, it's definitely not good. Here in this place, I can find out a lot about the girl, because it's like being inside her mind; her emotions are plain to see here. True, it's an intrusion on her mind, but I'm bringing her back from the dead; my patients are usually grateful.
 
I finally find her, following a ripping noise to the source. She's sobbing her eyes out and kneeling over a body. The thing is, I've never seen two people in one person's mind, butr the silver haired girl is leaning over a black haired woman with the same pale skin. “Medea...” the girl is sobbing, slashing her arm open repeatedly with a fancy silver sword. Blood runs down her arm, greatly resembling mercury, and spattering the girl but leaving the woman on the ground untouched.
 
I advance slowly, not wanting to scare the girl's soul into passing into Hades or Nirvana. This is the only place I can bring her back from, the place where her soul is between life and death. It seems as if there's an aura of violence all over this place, making me feel really uncomfortable. I concentrate my powers and touch her shoulder.
 
She spins around and I immediately back away, the now glowing sword in her hand.
 
“What are you doing here?” she hisses. Her icy blue eyes show insanity and spiritual unrest, scaring the crap out of me.
 
I raise my hands. “I'm here to take you back,” I say, “You're young and healthy. It's not your time.”
 
She looks back at the woman. “I killed her,” she says, pointing back at her and staring into my eyes, “I killed Medea...and those guards...and the High Priest...and that boy...”
 
She starts jabbing herself again and screaming the number eight. All I can do is take the sword away from her to prevent her passage into what I'm sure would be Hades. A murderer? But she's my age...
 
She shouldn't be a murderer, and I shouldn't have to make the choice of bringing her back to life or not.
 
There's something about her though...
 
Hoping that it's not just because this girl is so pretty, I make the judgement.
 
She's going to live.
 
I put out my hand, throwing the sword into the fog, and grin at her. “Come with me,” I say.
 
She stares at my hand, seeming confused, then gazes right into my eyes. “Do I deserve to live?” she asks me.
 
In my head I'm telling her that I don't know, but instead I smile wider. “Of course,” I say, “Otherwise you wouldn't have been born, right?”
 
She smiles at me - Gods, she's beautiful - and puts her hand in mine. I'm instantly transported back to my body. I suck in a breath and so does the girl, still lying in front of me.
 
I just catch a glimpse of a smile across her dry, burned lips before she's surrounded by healers.