Fan Fiction ❯ ShadowBaby ❯ Home Sweet Hell ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ms. Lowe peered at her humble abode with a smile on her face.
When she turned the key into her dirty gold doorknob she heard a click and a slight hiss.
She paid it no mind as she opened the medium sized brown door.
Her older brother, Cory Lowe, was busy unpacking her bags from the car.
He mumbled and cursed as he struggled with one large pink bag filled with a weeks worth of clothes that she had packed.
Ms. Lowe entered her mother’s two-story house and sighed with relief to be back.
Her parents were no home and she was a little upset that they were no awaiting her back home. Yet she was glad they were not there so they wouldn’t yell at her or pester her about what she planned to do now that she had a child.
She rested on her father’s big red recliner and sighed with guilt as she stared at her newborn.
Truth be told she never planned to get pregnant and have a child at her age.
She just had been in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Her newborn was a mistake and she new it.
Her family knew it and had treated her like dirt ever since.
They wanted her to have an abortion, but she had said no.
Sometimes she wished she had gone through with it and had an abortion a long time ago.
She wasn’t ready to raise a child. She was only fifteen.
Even when she glanced down and saw the small infant fast asleep in her arms. Even then did she feel guilt about bringing her into this world.
Her older brother finally came in and slammed the door behind him.
This startled the infant and she woke up crying.
Ms. Lowe glared at her brother and hissed, “Look what you’ve done. You’ve woke her up.”
Cory shrugged his shoulders and said, “Well sorr-rry, I didn’t mean to wake the brat up.”
Ms. Lowe glared at him even more as she slightly bounced the baby up and down to soothe her.
“Shhhhh,” she cooed, “calm down, mommy’s here.”
Cory walked over to her and said, “Try feeding her.”
Instantly she whipped out her right breast and started breast feeding.
Cory looked disgusted at first but soon his look died down when his baby sister said, “What are you looking at, they’re nothing new.”
Cory started walking to the kitchen and then disappeared behind the door that led out to the garage.
‘No doubt to have a smoke,’ Ms. Lowe thought as she continued to feed her baby.
After a few minutes of feeding her, Anna finally fell back asleep and curled up against her teenage mother.
Anna’s mother slowly walked over to her newborn’s little pink basinet and laid her down inside of it.
She squirmed a little but soon settled down.
Ms. Lowe started to walk toward her room and quietly slid inside her room.
When she reached her queen sized bed she collapsed on it and instantly fell asleep.
Her door was open just in case her baby girl woke up and needed to be fed.
Cory finally reappeared and glanced around the room for his baby sister. He couldn’t spot her, but he spotted two little hands jut out form the small pink basinet and he scoffed to himself. His right hand was grasping something very tightly.
Next thing he knew he was walking up to the newborn and his scowl was replace with a smile as he saw the infant fast asleep and reaching out for someone, anyone.
He placed his large, tan index finger near her right hand and watched as she instantly latched on to it and smiled with glee as she sucked on the other hand.
He let out a smirk as he placed the small object in his right hand next to her.
It was a small pink stuffed animal. It looked like a combination between a cat and a monkey.
He made sure she couldn’t suffocate with it and wrapped her small pink and white baby blanket around her.
Her small right hand let go of his left index finger and she started to twitch.
Cory smiled again before he left the infant to find his sister.
It didn’t take him long to find her fast asleep on her comfortable queen size bed.
He decided to watch after his niece in case she woke up. His sister must be exhausted and she needed all the sleep she could get.
After about an hour of sitting on the couch reading a book about how to take care of newborn’s he heard two car doors slam, followed by two people talking.
‘Well it’s about time,’ he thought as he continued to read his sister’s book.
When the door opened and the two people came in he asked, “Where were you guys?”
The female of the two jumped and said, “Don’t frighten me like that.”
Cory smirked and said, “Shhh, the baby is asleep.”
“The baby?” his mother questioned.
Then her eyes went wide and said, “Oh no she came back today.”
His father had finally spoken up and said, “Oh crap I forgot.”
Cory scoffed, “You two forgot that your only daughter and your newborn granddaughter was coming home today?”
His father started to panic. “Oh no I though it was tomorrow.”
His mother’s eyes went wide and said, “I have to call Gram-Gram.”
He watched as his mother ran into her bedroom and frantically called everyone she knew.
His father searched around the room
“She’s in the basinet,” Cory said as he continued to read.
He dropped all the bags he was carrying and ran over to the small pink basinet.
His eyes widened as he saw his little grandchild fast asleep.
Cory’s mother came running back in and said, “Gram-Gram is on her way to see her, so is Betty, Amanda, and Tonya. Oh and I also called your family sweetie.”
Her husband didn’t seem to be paying attention.
“Gee,” Cory muttered, “You should have done this earlier.
“Where is she?” his mother gasped as she ran around the room.
Her husband grabbed her and pointed down to the basinet.
She gasped with delight as she saw her grandchild fast asleep.
“She’s so precious,” Mrs. Lowe squealed as she reached out to stroke her head.
“Where’s Dena?” his father asked.
“Asleep in her room,” Cory answered.
Cory’s father ran over to check on her and sighed with relief.
‘She must be exhausted,’ he thought as he sat down next to her and stroked her head.
Instantly she shot up and panicked.
“What,” she slurred, “what is it.”
Her father chuckled to himself and watched as her eyes went wide and she ran out of the room.
“My baby,” she gasped.
Her mother smiled and said, “She’s fine, she’s still asleep.”
Dena sighed with relief and went back into her room to sleep as much as she could.
Her mother stood over the baby and smiled lovingly at her grandchild.
“So,” Cory asked, “what’s next?”
“Huh,” his mom asked.
“What is Dena going to do now?” he asked.
“I don’t know.” his mother answered, “We’ll worry about that later.”
‘That’s right,’ an eerie voice thought, ‘worry later.’
Two hours later there was a knock at the door.
Anna was already awake and was being held by her teenage mother who also woke up shortly after she did.
Dena was feeding her while watching T.V.
Mrs. Lowe answered it without hesitation and was greeted by her mother-in-law (Clair), her father-in law(Joe), her sister-in-law (Stacy), and her sister-in-law’s two daughters (Lori and Diana).
They all started to chat away. Their voices were shrill and filled with excitement at their new addition to the family.
Mr. Lowe greeted his family and hugged them all.
When they all saw the newborn the instantly hovered around Dena and began to coo and whine.
They all got to hold her, including Dena’s two cousins.
“She’s so tiny,” Lori said.
Dena smiled and gestured to get her back.
Lori handed Anna back to Dena and asked, “What’s her name?”
“Her name is Anna,” Dena said with a smile.
After they held the baby and chatted as much about it as possible they soon said there farewells and left.
The house was peaceful once more.
An hour later there was another knock.
This time Cory answered it.
As soon as he opened the door he was trapped in a giant bear hug by one of his cousins.
“Gah,” he muttered as Tonya jumped at him and locked him in a tight bear hug.
“Tonya!” Dena shouted.
Betty followed in pursuit of her daughter and screamed, “Let go of the poor boy, you’re going to crush him!”
Tonya finally let go of her cousin and screamed, “Dena!”
Tonya ran over to her and started to ask questions about the baby and if it was painful.
Betty dragged something inside and sighed with relief when she got some help from Mr. Lowe.
“Thanks Hugh,” she sighed.
“No problem,” Mr. Lowe said as he picked up the ensemble requirements for a small play crib.
Dena’s mom ran outside and helped her mother out of the car and into the house.
They all huddled around Dena like the last bunch and they all got to hold the baby.
“She’s adorable,” Tonya squealed as she watched Anna grasp her hair and stuff it in her mouth.
Dena instantly got the hair out and sighed, “Yeah, but she’s a handful too.”
“Well,” she said, “I planned to go shopping for a bunch of clothes for our new little addition. Does anybody have plans for tomorrow?”
Tonya squealed, “Oh, I’ll come, I love shopping.”
Gram-Gram wanted to come along too.
Unfortunately Betty had to work.
“Hmm,” Mrs. Lowe pondered, “I wander what is taking Amanda so long.”
“Oh,” Tonya said sheepishly, “Amanda called me on the way up here. She got a flat on the way. She’s going to be by here later on.”
“Oh,” Dena said as she cradled her newborn.
“Do you guys plan to spend the night?” Mrs. Lowe asked.
“Nah,” Betty said, “I have to head back, but since Tonya is going shopping with you tomorrow she can spend the night with you guys.”
Dena smiled at her cousin and said, “You can help me take care of Anna.”
Tonya smiled and said, “Sure, but I’m not changing diapers.”
Mrs. Lowe escorted her mother back to the car and said, “I’m planning on going up to West Town around nine so we’ll pick you up on the way.”
Her mother nodded and Betty drove off with her.
Later that night around nine o’ clock everyone began to settle.
Dena and Tonya were watching T.V. with Anna cradled in Dena’s arms.
Mr. and Mrs. Lowe were in their bedrooms discussing something.
“So,” Mr. Lowe said.
“So what,” Mrs. Lowe asked.
“So,” Mr. Lowe said, “so what about the baby’s father?”
Mrs. Lowe glared at the mirror she was looking in to as she brushed her long brown hair.
“What about him?” she asked.
“You know what I mean,” he snapped.
“Dena doesn’t want to talk about it,” she yawned.
“Oh she’ll start talking about it.” Hugh threatened to himself as he crawled into bed.
“What’s done is done,” Mrs. Lowe said as she crawled in next to him.
Meanwhile in the living room, Dena yawned and stretched a little bit as s commercial about Prozac came on.
“So,” Tonya said, “have you found out anything?”
Dena glanced over at her cousin and said, “No progress.”
“You’ve got to know something by now,” her cousin whined.
“I told you,” Dena snapped, “I don’t know who he is or where he is. Isn’t that enough for you?”
Tonya glanced at her and said, “Gee Dena, I’m just curious.”
Dena sighed, “I know, but I don’t know who he is. I got drunk and my mind went blank. That’s all I remember.”
“Do you’re parents know?” Tonya asked.
“No,” she said, “they don’t know I was drunk or I got raped. I plan to keep it that way too.”
Tonya sighed and said, “You should tell them, maybe they can track down the baby’s daddy.”
Dena shrugged.
“If you want you can rest and I’ll take night watch.” Tonya suggested as she picked the baby out of Dena’s arms.
Dena nodded and went back to her room to sleep.
“Wake me up if she’s hungry,” Dena called.
Tonya shouted back, “Sure thing.”
Before long Dena was fast asleep and Tonya had her hands full with a squirmy infant.
Around midnight Dena was being woke up by an aggravated Tonya and a crying Anna.
“Wh-a-at,” Dena yawned as she sat up.
“She won’t stop crying.” Tonya huffed, “I’ve tried everything.”
Dena yawned and said, “Give her he-ere.”
Tonya quickly handed over the crying infant and saw as Dena whipped out one of her breast and began to feed the infant.
Then when she was done feeding she asked for a diaper.
“Where are they?” she asked.
“In the pink baby bag beside the couch.” Dena sighed as she began to undo the messy diaper.
Tonya ran out of the room and came back in a few minutes. In her hand was a clean diaper and a bucket of wet wipes.
Dena cleaned her baby’s mess and gave the dirty diaper to Tonya.
Tonya ran into the kitchen and threw it away.
She returned to Dena’s room and saw her rocking the infant to sleep.
“Shhhhhhhh,” she cooed, “shhhhhhhhhhhh.”
After ten minutes the infant settled back down and went back to sleep.
Dena laid the infant down next to her and said she’d watch it now.
Tonya didn’t argue. She walked back into the living room and fell asleep on the couch.
Dena had to repeat the ritual two other times that night. Once at three in the morning and another at six in the morning.
When she had woken up at three in the morning she had to change yet another diaper. So when she ran out to get one she noticed the porch light was on. Curios about it she glanced out the window and saw her mother on the porch.
She was huddled over in her blow satin nightgown with something in between her middle and ring finger on her left hand. It appeared to be a cigarette and she paid it no mind.
When eight in the morning rolled around she felt a hand gently nudge her.
Well since she was on edge she immediately shot up and looked around at her assailant who woke her.
Her mother was hovering above her. She looked disfigured and unwell. Her eyes were red and puffy, as if she was crying.
Dena fell back down on her bed but her mother shook her again.
“Get up,” she demanded.
The happy go lucky mom the night before had been replaced by this unwelcome one.
Dena shout back up and said, “Leave me alone, I’m tired.”
Mrs. Lowe grabbed her arm and yanked her out of bed.
“We’re leaving at nine to go shopping. You better start getting ready.”
Dena whined and complained as her mother dragged her up the stairs and into the bathroom.
“Take a shower, get dressed, and get ready.” she demanded as she slammed the door behind her.
When she emerged form the shower she was greeted by another cranky person. This time it was her cousin.
She wasn’t a morning person either.
She was just now waking up and it showed too. Her words were slurred and couldn’t be understood. Her eyes were slightly opened and she hunched over as if she was a hunchback. Her hand grabbed the wall and she walked among it to find her way to the bathroom.
Dena couldn’t help but giggle at the site.
When she was dressed and ready she slowly dressed her newborn and smiled with joy when she saw her eyes open wide.
Anna cooed and her words were also slurred and unreadable.
Dena picked her up and carried her outside.
Cory was outside already smoking a cigarette and drinking a can of Dr. Pepper.
When he saw Dena and Anna come out he quickly put out the cigarette and stuck a piece of gum he had in his pocket into his mouth.
“What are you doing up so early?” she asked.
“Mom asked for me to drive,” he answered.
“What would you have done if mom caught you smoking?” Dena asked.
“Who cares,’ he muttered.
Dena sighed and walked over to Cory’s car. She carefully placed Anna into the car seat and buckled her up.
Shortly after she was joined up by her mother and older brother who were at it again.
This was her mother’s true form. The happy rambunctious women she witnessed last night was a short termed emotion called joy to see her beloved granddaughter, but once the excitement had died down so did her welcome. She now would have no barrier to not yell and scream at Dena. Soon se would go back to her old habits and would be a cruel monster toward her and her offspring. The look of joy was now gone. In its place was a look of disgust. The same face Dena had witnessed throughout her pregnancy.
Her family thought of her as a whore. They didn’t have to say it for her to feel it. She felt inferior and her self-esteem dropped dramatically.
Both her mother and father asked her to get an abortion. Now she wishes she had. For if she had the infant would have been nothing but a memory and an extinct thought, never to be heard of again.
Tonya finally dragged her lazy butt outside when Cory honked the horn.
The was not to pick up their Grandmother this morning. She had phoned earlier to say she had a previous engagement she had forgotten about.
After their little shopping spree Dena retired to her bedroom once more, baby and all.
Her father had knocked on the door and asked to enter.
Dena told him she was tired and didn’t want to talk.
Tonya had been dropped back off at her place and Cory left shortly after he had brought them back home.
All was silent in the Lowe home. An eerie presence lingered over their everyday lives.
Soon the days went by and days turned into weeks. Their life had gone back to almost normal.
Her mother and father still gave her disgusted glares as the idea of the baby of their only daughter was living with them. The baby was a hidden argument the couple had every night.
They would always be furious at their daughter for being foolish enough to get pregnant at such a young age.
Dena paid them no mind though. She was to busy searching for a baby-sitter to watch her baby girl once she started school again.
No one was available though. She didn’t trust her mother and wandered if she tried to kill her when she slept.
Dena had notice her mother hovering about in her room almost every time the baby cried with a morbid look on her face.
She always wore that devious smile she gave Dena when she was a child before she would hit her.
The hitting had stopped at age ten though when Dena had threatened to tell the police what she had done.
She feared for her baby’s life and wandered if Anna was safe inside that house.
A few days later she had gotten a call from her friend Kelly.
Kelly wanted to know how she was doing and let her in on the latest gossip floating about in Casper High.
When she rounded off to bed she whispered to her sleeping infant, “Try not to cry tonight little one. Mommy is exhausted from last night.”
Slowly Dena drifted off to sleep.
Anna’s eyes lazily opened and she glanced around the ceiling.
There wasn’t much to see and she felt like playing.
So she started to reach for the ceiling and started a faint gargle cry.
A face emerged from the shadows and stuck his tongue out at her.
“Naaa,” he whispered as he stuck his tongue out again.
Anna gargled her words and reached even harder for the man she saw every night.
The shadowy figure oozed down to the floor, like every other night, and took on his rugged human form.
Anna squirmed with anticipation.
The shadowy man picked up the child and carried her away from the her mother.
Dena slowly stirred, but did not awaken.
The shadow man stared at the young girl and said, “I won’t be able to do this when you’re older.”
Anna gurgled.
“I will not lie,” he said, “I will miss these moments. My precious Anna.”
The shadow figure stared down at Dena with sadness.
‘I have caused her great pains and more struggles are only to follow down this path my master has set ahead for them,’ he thought as he laid Anna back down.
The shadow man looked down at Anna with great sadness.
Anna reached for something.
‘What is it you want?’ he thought to himself.
He finally realized she was hungry and went to fetch her a bottle of formula.
The shadow man sat at the edge of the bed feeding the little infant.
He hummed a tune as he cradled the tiny girl.
Dena lazily woke up and saw the young man at the edge of the bed, but being she was half asleep she thought of it as a dream and went back to sleep.
The shadow man laid the infant back down and gave her a kiss on the forehead.
Then he slowly kissed Dena on the forehead and whispered, “I will always care for the one who gave my child life, even if you never know who the father is. I will always yearn for you two in my hearts.”
Anna smiled and went back to sleep.