Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Bahamut's Legacy ❯ Bloodlines ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 3

Bloodlines:

The Past's Creator, the Future's Destroyer

The council was all gathered. Representatives and rulers from all kingdoms sat at the table for the topic at hand. This particular meeting held severe relevance. It would determine the way that life would be in the future. The actual procession had not yet begun, and the table was bustling with conversation. This was no emergency, but it was about potential military action in the near future.

"Silence!" The commotion stirred down into a minimum, finally diminishing from existence. "The meeting is now in session. Speak your minds." Hands raised in a fury. This new matter concerned everyone, and they all had something to say. The host of the meeting picked someone to speak. "Ah, yes. King Menacos. What say you to this idea?"

"Lathon, are you insane? Surely you do not wish to strike against the Eidolons? It will bring wrath and famine to our homelands as well." The room filled with agreements and arguments. Some even began to debate viciously.

"Silence! Your view is quite credible. No, I do not wish to harm any of our peoples. That is why I feel we must remove the threats our ancestors let loose over three thousand years ago. Surely they could bring disaster at will? Brother Tariq, ambassador of the Fathah regions, you seem quite worried about the courses of action that I am planning to take."

"Yes, King Lathon. We are men. We do not wish to start a war with the Eidolons. Personally, I have never seen them as threats. Do you lack faith in our ancestors' judgment? Their will? Their power? Surely they were careful enough to make sure that the Eidolons would bring us into an age of prosperity? They are our protectors, our friends. They would never harm us."

The Eidolons had all been freed by their respective nations and designed to quell chaos and regulate order in the world. They had been given attributes, personalities meant to model each one, as well as assignments over which areas they were to reign. They were gods, powerful, majestic, able-minded entities that wanted nothing more than to ensure a bright future. They had fought for their own subjects, not just the humans. Life had never been so great for man. This was truly their Golden Age.

"You say that the Eidolons pose no threat. What about the recorded history of the Ark Wars? The battles were so devastatingly destructive that if they had been waged anywhere near our kingdoms, we would have been entirely decimated." Voices sprung up throughout the conference halls.

"Ark was not of our Eidolons. They fought to protect us from Ark and if their had been any human bloodshed, it was not intentional. You wish to hold them responsible for something that never even happened! If they destroyed us, it would have been intentional and based on judgment. Our ancestors gave them power to remodel the world as they saw fit. We are still here after three millennia, are we not? Yet you dare call our saviors a threat? You aren't worried about them, you're only looking out for your own selfish ambitions!"

"Honestly, you men are of a paranoid bunch. Look not at my new weapon as a lingering threat, but as an asset to a brighter future.

"That's right! This 'powerful weapon' would be a threat to us once the Eidolons were removed. You aren't like your ancestor! I've seen corruption in your eyes since day one you little-"

"Silence!" The room fell morosely silent. Lathon was infuriated. He was Lathon LVI, descendant of the great Lathon the third, the one who conjured the first Eidolon, Bahamut, ending the long war, which had plagued them over three thousand years ago. The nations defending against the quests for global domination from the huge empires of that time had no real technology, and their magic was no longer strong enough to fend off new weaponry. It was Lathon who discovered the power of legend. Legends locked deep within the hearts of apt magi could take form, giving birth to a plethora of stunning Eidolon forces. The stronger and more famous the legend, the more powerful and glorious birth of a new Eidolon.

After the war, a decision had to be made about the fate of the Eidolons- destruction or preservation. Lathon had proposed to free them and give them personalities and a sense of mission to protect the world and all its inhabitants. He used up the entire knowledge of magic to give them their various powers and skills. This was the world's greatest achievement. Magic was forgotten at the expense of the end of desire for war. But the Lathon of today, greedy, selfish, and tyrannical, had recently rediscovered the art of Eidolon crafting and a new legend appeared. This new power was said to be stronger than Bahamut himself. If the Eidolons died out, he would undoubtedly use his power for global domination.

"How dare you insult me after I welcome you into my kingdom, feed you, accommodate you with room and board during your stay, entertain you, and then decide to fairly discuss this topic with you? You question my morals when you say that these new Eidolons cannot be trusted! You see? This is why all Eidolons must be eliminated. The fear you have for my force should be applied to the multiplying forces of the free Eidolons. Come, let's vote." There were thirty-one figures there. It was close, but the decision to use the Eidolons was finalized at 17 to 14.

"Excellent. You see, fellow representatives, if my decision to use this force was not the correct choice, how is it that the majority of you ruled in my favor? On to our next issue. General Dolohan..."

"Yes, your majesty." The towering figure that appeared behind the king was that of a knight. As he knelt on one knee, it was clear that he was a noble warrior. His dark clothing made him the very essence of night. His voice was very deep and grim. His face was shrouded underneath his hood by a dark shadow, which seemed to have an almost magical air to it. He carried a gigantic sword and wore a silver cape. The rest of his apparel was a splendid yet gloomy mix of purple and black. Lathon whispered into the ear of his giant protector, who nodded in understanding.

"Gather the other twelve warriors. Brief them on the mission."

"As you wish." Dolohan faded out as eerily as he had entered. The room was terrified, but could not help feeling a sense of awe in the presence of a long since forgotten magic, mastered in a matter of months after Lathon's magical renaissance. They had expected to see a monster but found a work of art instead. Yet, they sensed great power flowing from the ghastly Eidolon, who had been there as little as twelve seconds before.

"Hard to believe, isn't it?" Lathon was proud of his new creation. When the table recovered, the representatives all had their hands raised. Lathon could only surmise that they were all thinking of the same question. It was, after all, the topic that bothered their minds.

"That was Dolohan?"

"Yes."

"I thought he was a ge-"

"He was, and still is." Lathon was humored at the sight of his gaping audience. He knew that although he had not yet convinced them he was no threat, they would at least allow him to get the ball rolling.

"Bu-but-bbbbut... I'm confused."

"It will all be explained in your briefings later. In the meantime, enjoy yourselves. Any other questions?"

"I have one. You told him to brief the other twelve. Other twelve what? You mean to say that your force consists of thirteen Eidolons?"

"Technically, Dolohan is the only real one of them all, but yes, they are thirteen very powerful entities. Anything else?"

"Yes. When are you going to brief us on this?"

"Relax. We shall soon have a banquet. I shall inform you all later, but for now, let us eat. If you will kindly find your way towards the banquet halls, I will meet with you shortly. Thank you," he said as he waited for his guests to leave the room. A shadowy figure appeared before him. "The gears have just been set in motion." The messenger tucked his head and knelt when he arrived before his king. "Take this letter to the one known as Bahamut." The messenger nodded immediately departed. Lathon dismissed the entire group. Alone, he was free to contemplate his true intent. If they only knew Heh! Heh! I really don't understand what my ancestor was thinking when he didn't conquer the entire world. He had Bahamut's power... what a waste! Lathon was foolishly trying to rationalize his ancestor's course of action. It didn't make sense to him. Why didn't he go for the power in the end?

"Oh well, Bahamut is outdated anyway. This isn't just a new era. This is my new era! I shall rectify the mistakes of Lathon the third and replace them with stronger ideals and an even stronger Eidolon. I couldn't have asked for a greater opportunity. I'll show all you pacifists what you're missing without war and power!" He left the room laughing. However, someone had been in the airshaft spying on the entire meeting.

"Hmmm... I've got work to do." the shady figure said as he watched Lathon exit the room.