Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Painful Miracles ❯ The gates to life ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The gates to life

Sakura glanced down at Hiro. He was deathly pale; his lips blue and his eyes were covered with deep purple rings. She placed one of her hands on his chest and the other on her own as she began to count the time between each of his shallow breaths. They were delayed, coming farther apart than her own normal breaths. She knew he wasn't going to last much longer.

.: I can't just give up one him...He saved my life...I have to save his:. Her thoughts hardened her resolve to make it to Midgar before he died. She bit her lip and racked her brain, thinking about all the ways she had learned to stop poison. Then she slapped her forehead. .: Cure!:. She smiled and reached for a small leather bag that was tied about her waist. She opened it up and selected a small, green glass orb. It pulsed between her fingers as she whispered to it softly. The soft green-blue tendrils slid from between the cracks in her fingers and flowed into Hiro's wound. The light red tone of his lips slowly returned as his breathing regulated slightly. His cheeks were flushed with pink once more.

She felt the warmth of Cure leave her hands and slipped the orb back into its bag. She had not cured him, only slowed the poisons descent to his heart. She was still pressed for precious time and snapped the reins of her chocobo.

After a few more hours of riding, Sakura saw the iron wall that surrounded Midgar. She smiled brightly, regardless of her exhaustion. She had to stop many times one the way to Midgar to resuscitate Hiro, who had stopped breathing on more than one occasion, regardless of the cure in his body. She had administered more shots of it as she saw fit and thankfully, she had been successful each time and finally she could get him to a hospital.

But as she drew closer to the large iron doors of Midgar, she saw that the guard had been doubled, probably to capture her as she came this way. .: Damn it!!!:. Her mind screamed as she pulled the chocobo to a halt. She clenched her fists and felt the stab of tears in her eyes. Hiro was going to die and it was all her fault...That arrow had been for her...He just had to be in the way!

Sakura sobbed a bit, leaning her head to rest on Hiro's chest. "I'm sorry Hiro..." She cried softly to him, over and over again until she felt something brush her hair. She sat up slightly and looked down to meet Hiro's soft blue eyes.

"Stop crying, would ya? You're soaking my shirt…" His words were forced and he seemed to choke on them as he coughed.

"Hiro... I thought…" He cut her off as he raised a weak finger to rest on her lips. "I think I'll be alright once I..." He coughed, forcing himself to sit up on the chocobo. "I'll help you get into Midgar..." He coughed again as he whispered his plan to Sakura. She wasn't too sure he'd have the strength to pull it off, but he assured her that he'd be fine.

She watched, unsure, as Hiro slid off of the chocobo and he began to drag his weak legs towards Midgar. He was going to persuade the guards to open the gates and once that was done, she was going to rush in on chocobo, grab him and be one their way to the hospital. The plan sounded flawless, but Sakura wasn't stupid. All plans had flaws. She remained skeptical.

Her hopes lightened a bit as the large iron doors groaned open. She kicked her chocobos side and dashed off towards the open gates. She stretched out her right hand and grabbed Hiro's as she rode past the guards, just as the gates closed behind her.

She let out a hoot of triumph and looked down at Hiro, who was now passed out, once again, in her arms. His skin was even more pale than before, almost bordering on blue-ish green. She knew that the post would be tripled now that she had forced her way into Midgar and making it to a hospital wouldn't help matters. The guards knew where they were headed just by the looks of Hiro and they would have guards posted there as well. They had made it to Midgar, but at this moment...She was farther from her mother than she had been only a few minutes ago.

Sakura sighed, fighting back another borage of tears. He was going to die...it was all her.... Sakura's thoughts trailed away as something caught her eye. A man...Two men to be exact. One of which was the very man that was in a picture with her parents. She remembered seeing the worn photo when she was little. It was he, she knew it.... Although she had never thought him to be gay...She shook her head and decided to follow him.