Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rhapsody of Tears ❯ Undying Passion ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Reno: *grin* Great, I'm back in the story!
SD-ME: *smile* Of course, Reno-daaaaaarling!
SD-Reno: Uuh, that's my cue for the disclaimers, right?
ME: Yep.
Reno: Final Fantasy VII belongs to Squaresoft, but K-chan's very greed so she owns this story. *smirk*
SD-ME: [glaring at Reno] ........................................................................... ...................................................
SD-Reno: [grins wider] She just loves those dots.
SD-ME: [still glaring at Reno] ........................................................................... ...................................................
Reno: This chapter has the result of the dinner date, and the confrontation with Hojo...
ME: *frown* Hojo's such a jerk!
Reno: You should've let me shoot him when I had the chance!!

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"It's so beautiful!" she sighed, staring dreamily at the night skies. The cool weather was perfect for star gazing without a cloud in sight, only the full moon radiating above them provided the light. She leaned against the balcony rail, perching her chin on the back of her hand. "I always knew the Planet had such lovely places, but never did I imagine they would be so breathtaking."

She straightened up as the white trenchcoat fell on her bare shoulders. She looked up at him, gazing at his handsome face that was watching the calm sea. "Is that why you didn't stay in Midgar?" she asked.

"That building," he said coldly, "just had too many bad memories." He couldn't remember a single good thing his father ever said or did for him, not even his own birth was considered a blessing. Every time he thought about Midgar, his father and the Shinra building would be the first thing in his mind because he was heir to such power. And sometimes he'd hate his father for it, but now, everything was his. His father was dead, so that nightmare had ended.

She touch his hand, and he turned to her as she took it into her own hands. He smiled as she brought it up to her face and held it against her smooth skin. "I know you hated your father," she said quietly, "but he's gone now. Everything's over, so you should leave it all behind." She looked into his deep, blue eyes. "You have much ahead you and should think about new possiblities."

"I will," he said softly, caressing her face, "as long as you're with me."

"RuRu..."

His thumb brushed over her lips lovingly, as if he wanted to taste them. He loved her so much, and ever since she reappeared in his life, his love for her burned ever brighter. Although she had grown into a beautiful, young woman, she was still the same little girl he adored and cherished. She would forever be his beloved Aeris.

He leaned down close to her face, staring into her sparkling, green eyes that were half closed. Their lips touched with warmth and tenderness, like the bond they shared since childhood. A kiss so forbidden, so sacred because it was their first and to be the one that would seal their destiny forever.


Rhapsody of Tears

written by K-chan

Chapter Four: Undying Passion


"Man, this f**kin' sucks!" the red head yelled, flicking away his remaining cigarette. He brushed his hand through his hair, frustrated at the fact he was stuck at the docking point with is partner when he would rather be off at the bar, drinking till he passed out on the floor.

Reno looked out the window and saw nothing out there but a few people cleaning the landing pad. He turned away and began to pace again, trying to think about something else instead of blasting a hole in Hojo's head when the man arrived.

Rude sat in the corner with arms folded across his chest. Behind the dark sunglasses, he watched Reno walk back and forth since he had nothing better to do, but he wasn't like the red-haired man, mouthing off foully about everything. "So we DON'T get some chicks or drinks tonight, but why the hell do we hafta wait for that geezer?!" he continued to complain, "Why couldn't WE go and investigate Sephiroth? HUH? I bet Tseng and what's-her-name is having all the fun and action!"

He suddenly stopped in his tracks and looked at Rude, "Hey, do ya still have that deck of cards?" The tall man was surprised by the sudden question, but he checked his coat pocket and found the stack. He gave it to Reno, who immediately shuffled it like the professional gambler he was. "Might as well DO something," he said, dealing his friend a hand of a game of poker, "But the president's gonna owe us."

Rude shrugged, taking out some gils, and placed it on the table for a little game. He knew he'd lose the money, but just to amuse his friend and get him to shut up, it didn't matter and besides, it was just pocket change. After placing their bets, a worker ran into the office and informed them of communications with Hojo. The scientist would be landing soon, and the area had been cleared for the chopper.

Reno shooed the employee from the room so they could finish that one game, which of course he himself won. He took Rude's money happily, planning to spend it at the bar after their assignment. Rude noted his partner's elated manner, whistling a happy tune with both hands in his pockets, as they walked out to greet (or bid farewell) to Hojo.

They exited the building and stood to the side as the helicopter came into view and slowly descended to the ground. The area was flooded in lights to compensate for the nighttime, and Hojo was seen sitting in the front with an eager expression plastered all over his face. The vehicle finally landed, and the two TURKs continued to wait at the distance. It took a few minutes for things to settle down, and Hojo stepped down from the chopper.

Hojo had seen the TURKs from above, but the young president was no where in sight. He didn't care at all because his purpose was in taking the Ancient girl back to his laboratory in Midgar. He walked up to the men waiting and adjusted his glasses. "I am assuming the two of you are to escort me to the president," he said.

"Just the opposite," Reno told him. "I've got news for you, Hojo. The president doesn't want to see you at all here. So, climb back onto your little chopper and go back to Midgar, where you can experiment on your labrats."

The scientist didn't particularly enjoy that little message, but it wasn't going to stop his lifetime dream. He ignored them and walked pass them, only to get Reno infuriated. Rude stopped the old man with an outstretched arm, blocking his pathway. "It's an order from the president," he informed firmly.

"It's bad enough you show your face here," Reno began, "Do you really want to make it worse? By disobeying orders? And for what? The girl? Is it worth it, Hojo?"

He chuckled, pushing up his glasses with a finger, "'Is it worth it?' he asks. Kuku, what do any of you know about science?! I've spent most of my life for this moment, and do you think I'll let someone like the president to stop me? Kuku, such an arrogant boy he is. Much like his father."

Reno frowned, not liking the insults thrown against his superior and friend, and aimed a gun Hojo's head. "Reno," Rude called, surprised at his partner's action. Although Tseng had told them to send Hojo back by any means, but he knew that they couldn't hurt him because Hojo was still useful to Rufus.

Hojo smirked, turning around to the red head. He was calm and didn't find it strange for a TURK or anyone to want to kill him. He didn't care for anyone or anything except his projects, so he had many enemies, even within the Shinra building. He knew all the TURKs despised, but they had orders in the past to catch the Ancient only because the former president had commanded them too. But now with Rufus as the new president and the only person the TURKs will ever answer to, things were going to be a little difficult.

"What are you planning to do, Reno?" he asked, already knowing the answer. "Kill me? But do you really want to do that? Without me, how will the president, you and the others handle Sephiroth? I'm the only one who knows his strengths and weaknesses." Reno still didn't falter from his position, wanting to rip the man to pieces, but what he had said was true.

Hojo dropped his light mood and looked straight at Reno with face completely dark, showing that he was beyond talking serious. "Take me to the president," he ordered.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Rufus rested his head back against the seat and sighed happily with the young woman in his arms. The night was wonderful, so magically he thought it would never end, but all good things had to come to an end, and he knew she was getting weary. He held her close to him as he listened quietly to her soft breathing. He straightened and gazed down at her, brushing the loose strands of her brown locks from her face. He lightly touched her lips, recalling the kiss they had shared many minutes ago.

"Aeris," he whispered. She squirmed a bit, as if she was answering to his call, but still remained in her sleep, snuggling against his warm body. He smiled and adjusted his coat around her to keep her warm.

His heart felt so light, and his mind had no worries. He thought of nothing but her, and just thinking of her always brought serenity to him. It was more than companionship that they sough from another, even to overlook the many differences about them--from their extreme backgrounds and status to being on the opposites in the future of the Planet. Of course the fact that they were enemies lingered in the back of his mind, but he just wouldn't let it ruin the moment between them. It just wasn't worth it when he could be and feel like the old days once again.

But just how long would it last?

Like that romantic night, it would have to end.

The car was coming to a stop in front his house, and he winced inwardly at having the night officially end when they stepped out of the car. It was inevitable, but as long as Aeris was by his side, then everything would be all right. He shook the sleeping girl gently by her shoulder, "Aeris? We're home."

"Unn," she moaned and just remained where she was. He chuckled at the sight, and the car door opened. The driver asked if he needed help in getting her inside, but he declined the offer. Rufus made sure his coat was securely around and picked her as gently as possible and carried her inside the house. Before he had reached the steps, the butler had the door open, waiting for the pair to enter.

Rufus nodded to him, thanking him silently, but he didn't smile. He had always been a cold, serious person around others, and this time was no different in his home, but those working in his household had understood their master very well and never questioned his orders nor actions. But when he had stepped inside the warm house, he had this nagging feeling that something was wrong. He wasn't sure what it was, but he headed straight for the stairs, wanting to tuck Aeris into bed.

Recalling how much the young woman had eaten, he was surprised she weighed as much as she did, not an pound was giving him trouble. He chuckled at the memory as he pushed his back against her bedroom door, opening it wide so they could enter. He turned the light switch on dimmly to give enough lighting to find his way to the bed. When he was at the bedside, he laid her down, but her hands were tightly gripping onto his shirt. He touched her hands, having no choice but to ease it off.

Drifting between consciousness, she felt the change of surrounding and stirred a bit. Her sleepy eyes opened halfway, and she could make out his shoulder against the faint light. "RuRu?" she whispered, feeling comfortable on the mattress, "Whe-where are we?"

He bent down to her side and hushed her with a finger. "We're home," he answered, brushing his hand against her face. He took her high heels off and placed them on the ground at the end of her bed. He then took his coat from her and placed it aside as he pulled the thick covers over her body. He stood up and gazed down at her, hearing her exhale contently.

His eyes then caught a figure at the doorway, and he immediately recognized it as Rude. Then he understood what the disturbing feeling he had was, but he looked at Aeris again, watching her snuggle beneath the covers. He leaned down and kissed her lightly on the cheek. "Sweet dreams, Aeris."

"Good night, RuRu..."

He straightened up and walked towards the door. He turned off the bedroom lights and closed the door. From the tense posture in Rude's manner, he knew it wasn't good. "Hojo is in the study," he said apologetically.

Rufus just nodded and went downstairs with the TURK behind his steps. When he was in front of the study, he paused a bit, reminding himself to stay calm. He made his entrance, shoving the doors aside, and didn't bother to make eye contact with Hojo as he head straight for his desk in cool, graceful strides to let his unwanted guest that his insistent presence wasn't bothering him at all.

Rude kindly shut the door after he entered last. He then joined Reno off to one side and watched the scene quietly unfold. Reno leaned towards him and said in a low voice, "The geezer's gonna get his ass kicked." Rude wasn't too sure about that, since the scientist had almost held equal power within Shinra Company when the previous president was alive, so he had some sort of influence over them.

Hojo had been seated the whole time on the lounge, sipping tea, as he eyed the blonde walking to his desk. The president sat in his chair and leaned back, finally acknowledging the man, "Hojo." He spun his chair around to face the window instead of the others. "I thought sending the TURKs would get the message through to you," he said in an laid back tone, closing his eyes in thought, "but since you are here, your life doesn't mean anything to you, does it?"

Hojo remained where he was and responded in kind, "My intentions were clear, and I expect that you would kindly cooperate."

Rufus gritted his teeth at having such an insubordinated reply. He whirled the chair around to stare at Hojo right in they eyes and calmed stood up. Reno and Rude could see the strained manner in him as he slowly walked to the front of his desk. They didn't like the blazing anger in his cold, blue eyes.

"For the future of Shinra Company," the man continued, "it is best if you give me the girl. She is of no use to you here." Hojo saw the young man's eyes boring at him, hoping to vaporize him that instant. He just wanted to get the Ancient and begone. He didn't care for the president's reasons with the girl. "But we could compromise. I just need to run a few tests on her, and you can have her back... for you own needs. There is no loss on your part, Rufus."

Hojo purposely said his name to remind him of who was older and had been in Shinra Company longer. He had worked side by side with the former president in researching about the Cetra and the Promised Land, which was only a part of his true goal.

The young man turned away slightly, looking else where, but in control of his furious emotions. No one before had dared called him by his first name ever since he became vice president of the company, but he knew Hojo was just spiting him to find his limits. "You and father have poured all your energy into that 'Promised Land' search, but I intend to do nothing of the sort. Why find this mythical place, when there's a whole planet to dominate?" He walked over to Hojo, standing on the other side of the coffee table, and leaned over it towards the older man, giving him a warning, "My father had allowed you to get away with everything when it involved the Promised Land, but I am NOT him."

He narrowed his fiery, blue eyes at him, "And you will not take her anywhere without MY permission." He stood up again, looking down at him like the measly employee that he was. "This visit is OVER. Reno, Rude, take Doctor Hojo back to Midgar."

Before either the TURKs could reply, Hojo stood up and smiled. It was a smile Rufus did NOT like. "Very well, sir. I respect your decision, but at least allow me to stay for the parade in your honor of new president of Shinra Company. It is the least I can do as an employee of yours." His tone was calm and had a light upbeat to it as if the whole conversation never turned sour, but Rufus knew Hojo was a two-faced person. And he just couldn't outright deny the man of attendance when he was one of the top executives of the company. The others were invited to attend, but they were preoccuppied with their businesses.

As much as he hated to punch him in the face, Rufus had to keep his cool and not disrupt whatever was left of their business relationship because he still had use for Hojo. "Fine. Reno, Rude, escort Doctor Hojo to the hotel. Make sure he has a comfortable stay," he said, hinting their new assignment to keep their watch on the scientist because he knew Hojo wasn't about to give up so easily when it involved one of his projects, and this was a lifetime project of his.


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Aaawe, I finally got them to kiss!!!!! Hehee. This chapter is dedicated to Lila 'cause she wanted to see Reno back in here! YAAY! And thank you, Mint-san, for the summary on Hojo! I'll reply to your email as soon as I get my lazy self to DO it.

I know Reno uses the nightstick or whatever... He's a TURK so he has a gun too!! I like guns. *sweatdrop* I'm like really happie with the convo between RuRu and Hojo. Did I do well with keeping their personality?? I made Hojo into a total jerk, ne? Hee. I swear the dude has as much problems as his son... *bigger sweatdrop*

Ya know what though? I'm glad I'm focusing more on the Shinra people and TURKs in this story. I mean, there's enough stories out there about AVALANCHE, ne? So there, and I'm really enjoying writing about them, even if what I know about them is like through other fanficcies and some FFVII sites. There's still not enough information on them, so you gotta wing it, ne? I know for all you action lovers it's coming out SLOW, but I think things are gonna happen either in the next one or the one after, just as I figure out what I WANT to happen... [rubs the back of her head, chuckling nervously] Haha... =^o^=