Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rhapsody of Tears ❯ Reflections of the Heart ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Aeris: Hi. Thank you for enjoying the story so far. K-chan is having a great time with it.
Rufus: [looks elsewhere, blushing] *cough* Yeah, well... I'm not complaining... yet.
Aeris: *giggle* Oh RuRu. Anyway, we're here to tell you about a really, really important information that pertains to the story...
SD-Rufus: [glares at the the readers] And no, she isn't talking about the disclaimers.
SD-ME: [pops in] Geeze, you two are taking TOO long with this. For a minute there, I thought you were making out or something. [ignores their blushing faces and SD-Rufus' glare] Anyway, the storyline of the game had changed ever since Rufus kidnapped Aeris, and now I'm THROWING the whole original thing out the window and writing MY OWN version of this FFVII storyline...
SD-Rufus: *smirk* Because that will excuse her of writing any inaccurate parts of the game.
SD-Aeris: *giggle* How sneaky.
SD-ME: Oh be quiet, you two! Don't make me write a lemon scene!!!!
SD-Aeris: *gasp* You wouldn't dare!
SD-Rufus: *grin* Don't worry, Aeris, she doesn't have the talent (or nerves) to write that. [when Aeris isn't looking, he leans towards a pouty SD-K-chan and whispers] So, are you really gonna do it?? I'll even pay you...
SD-ME: *sweatdrop* .............................. Squaresoft owns everything Final Fantsy VII... 'cept my AeRuf obsession.
SD-Rufus: [glares at her] That wasn't the answer I wanted to hear.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

'Child...'

"Who's there?!" she asked, glancing around her dark environment. She couldn't make out anything except herself. She could hear the voice surrounding her, coming from all directions, and it just wasn't the voice of one--many together like the spirits of the Planet were calling to her. In a sense, it was the Planet speaking to her, like the so many times before, because it wasn't a single entity that made up the Planet she lived on, but different lives that were still living or have passed on.

'Last child of the Cetras...'

Aeris took one step forward, opening her heart to reach out to the voices, wanting to listen to their wisdom. "Why? Why is it foolish?" she inquired, recalling what the Planet had remarked on her optimistic thoughts of being with Rufus.

"Aeris!" the familiar voice called her. She turned around and saw Rufus smiling to her. Forgetting about her conversation with the Planet, she ran towards him happily, but every step she took to him, he seemed farther and farther away. Frustrated, she ran faster, but the distance between them was even greater. Eventually tiring out, she fell to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Aeris, I'm waiting..." he said, gazing at her softly. She pulled herself together and would continue forever to reach him if she had to because he was waiting for her. She stood up with legs still wavering from weariness, but before she took off, she saw a shadow behind him--a tall shadow with long hair dancing wildly in the darkness.

She wanted to scream to him of the urgency, but no sound left her mouth. The figure came forward, and she saw a smirk graced the stranger's lips. Her feet propelled her towards Rufus, but she never made it to him when the long blade pierced his chest, through his heart. The stranger slowly pulled the sword from the body and disappeared into the darkness, laughing madly.

Appalled, she watched the life drain from Rufus's face, and his body collapsed to the ground. The fresh blood pooled around his corpse, and in horror, Aeris screamed.


Rhapsody of Tears

written by K-chan

Chapter Five: Reflections of the Heart


At the sound of her voice screeching from her bedroom, he made no hesitation in throwing down his shirt and ran across the hallway, half-naked. [SD-K-chan's drooling: Just... had to... write that...] He nearly busted the door down and immediately turned the lights on. He saw her sitting upright in bed, still screaming with wide eyes staring straight ahead, and hurried to her side. "Aeris, it's all right!" he said, pulling her to him, "I'm here now."

"Sir, what's wrong?!" came the voice at the doorway. The butler and maids were piled at the room entrance in their robes, looking troubled. Rufus just gestured with his hand for them to leave, and they understood. The man closed the door for their privacy as Rufus turned his attention back on to the frightened girl.

Hearing his voice, she snapped out of it, "RuRu?!!" Her eyes filled with tears as she pulled out of his arms to look into his lively face. She saw his worried, blue eyes staring at her and threw her arms around his neck, "You're alive! I was so scared! You were waiting for me, but he had a sword... I couldn't stop him... and he... you fell... blood was everywhere..."

Rufus felt her body tremble against his and knew how real the nightmare must have been for her. It pained him to see her like this, so helpless, but he was there for her now. He gently hushed her, holding one arm around her waist and the other pulled her head back so he could wipe the tears from her lovely face. "Aeris, listen to me," he began, "it was only a nightmare, all right? Nothing will happen because I won't let it. Remember our promise?"

She nodded, calming down her sobs, and their foreheads touched. "Nothing will ever separate us again," he whispered and kissed her tenderly on the lips. She returned his kiss kindly and eagerly. He cupped her face with both hands as he felt her own roaming across his bare chest. He smiled inwardly at enjoying her touch and gently pushed her back onto the bed. His hands found their way down to her shoulders and inconspicuously slipped her dress straps off.

He then realized what he was doing and pulled back from their intense kisses and looked seriously down at her. "Aeris," his voice called with a hint of sadness, "I don't want to do anything to hurt you..."

She nodded slightly with her arms still around his neck. "I know," she said softly, "but can you stay with me?" He smiled and leaned down to kiss her forehead. She knew that was a 'yes' as she watched him walk to the light switch and turned it off. She scooted over in her bed to make space for him to climb in. He settled in next to her comfortably, both embraced in each other's warmth.

She laid her head against his chest, somewhat shyly, as he pulled the covers over them. She closed her eyes, listening to his steady heartbeat--the same wonderful melody she found her own heart playing, like a duet in the night. Her arm stretched across his chest, hugging him like pillow, but pillows didn't feel so safe and warm with his hand holding hers. He kissed the top of her head and shut his eyes to revel in the pleasant moment. His other arm was around her, keeping her close, and slowly brushing against her arm.

"Ne, RuRu..."

"Hmm? What is it?"

"My friends... What will you do to them when they come?"

He opened his eyes and stared into the darkness, contemplating his thoughts into words. He wouldn't let them take her away from him, but in the end, it was her decision whether she wanted to stay or leave. And it was because of that, he was afraid to ever bring it up. "They will be unharmed if they stay out of my way," he said sternly, not realizing his tone had hurt her even though she knew he didn't mean to hurt her in any way.

She wanted to ask him what his plans were but decided not to on the fact of his reply to her question. She shouldn't pry into his business, but for the future of the Planet, she would have to talk to him about it. She heard him sigh as if he knew she would've asked him sooner or later. "We'll talk about it tomorrow, all right?"

"Unn," she answered. "Good night, RuRu."

"Good night, Aeris." They snuggled deep into the covers, locked in each other's warm embrace.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

From the window of the third floor of the hotel, he stood with arms folded across his chest, watching the reflection of the moon drift in the waters. It was the only thing he could see in the late night that he found fascinating, not because it was pure and peaceful but because the sense of emptiness brought him power--power to control the cycle of life and death. He saw the radiant Moon in all its dark glory, the goddess of Death. And with his hands of science, he would defy death and bring everlasting life to the future--his ultimate goal.

His dark eyes narrowed, appearing like he was staring at something beyond the seas, but it was only the conversation with the young president that annoyed him. It made him wonder what relation he had with the Ancient. How could he have known her? In a way, it was possible since Hojo never paid attention to the Shinras nor anyone else for the matter. And it seemed Rufus had some sort of attachment to the girl--a weakness that he could use against him if need be.

He pushed up his glasses as he turned away from the scenic view, smiling deviously. He would get his way and have the Ancient, and the president wouldn't be able to do anything about it. He chuckled lowly into the night.

The cackling of a madman disrupted the tranquil setting of Junon and boredom of a certain red-headed TURK. Sometimes Reno wished he wasn't a TURK, but then again, it had its advantages like being feared and the good pay. He had crushed on a couch in the lobby of the hotel while Rude was sitting in a chair. It looked like an uncomfortable place to stay the night, but the bald TURK didn't seem to mind as he sat still with his arms folded across his chest.

Reno had thought about hitting the hotel bar, but at that time of night, only washed up drunks would be there, slobbering away in misery. Sure, he would love to get drunk but in the company of fine women was what he really wanted. Even the new blonde TURK would do, but she seemed to have eyes for their leader already. He chuckled to himself, and his mind wandered over to the next female that day: Aeris.

Now, she was a real looker but definitely off limits from the way Rufus was staring at her. They had something going on between them, but as much as he wanted to pry, he knew if he wanted to keep his job, he would have to stay out of their business. He smiled, thinking it would be fun to annoy those two though--more exciting than Tseng and Elena anyways.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The next morning, Rufus and Aeris were on the back patio enjoying their breakfast beneath the morning sun. He sipped his coffee, watching her, as she closed her eyes and inhaled the ocean air happily. The beautiful image of her serenity brought a smile to his face, and she looked at that moment like an angel. When he noticed a fork between her delicate fingers, he chuckled. She heard him and opened her eyes to see his smile directed at her. She knew he was laughing at her, not sure why but it probably had to do with her new experience outside of Midgar.

She pouted, digging her fork into the eggs, "What's so funny?"

"You're cute when you pout." He smiled as she giggled and stuck her tongue out at him. "What do you want to do today?" he asked. He had the next days free until the parade in Junon, so he wanted to spend them with her, also like making up for lost time.

"Well..." she began, tearing off a piece of her toast. She was staring at the food in her grasp, having to think of what she wanted to do next with him. Ever since he took her away from her new friends, it had been like a fairy tale--when the prince sweeps the maiden off her feet and ride away into the sunset--but she had to face reality. Her friends were coming to rescue her from a childhood friend, who she had dreamed of being reunited with, and the threat of the Planet that continued to plague her mind. It was because she was half a Cetra that the burden was on her shoulders.

He noticed her saddened expression and immediately reached his hand out to her, placing his over hers. "Aeris," he whispered.

She looked up at him with apologetic eyes, "I'm sorry, RuRu... I'm sorry I never told you about me... about my heritage as an Ancient." She was on the verge of tears, feeling horrible having kept that secret from him ever since they met. She had been afraid that he would never accept her and her ablities to commune with the Planet, and like other children, would ridicule her for her strangeness.

Although they met under odd circumstances, she always held it as a blessing in her heart. Being quite small for her age, she still managed to drag the young boy into the abandoned church, where she usually went to play by herself. She tried to wake him up several times, but he only groaned in response. His head was securely in her lap as his comfortable headrest as she waited patiently for his wake. She carefully observed his handsome features, admiring his fair hair. He seemed to delicate in the cold weather, and when he started to cough, she pulled his coat tighter to him.

He finally regained consciousness, slowly opening his eyes, only to meet the deep green orbs that he last saw before he fainted. She blinked at him and smiled. "Are you okay now?" she asked, concerned, "You scared when you just fell right there. I was glad you weren't hurt or anything, but you seemed tired."

He sat up, feeling his head with his hand. It hurt a little bit, but he felt fine with everything else. He looked around at his surroundings, seeing the interior of a rundown church and turned to her in mild interest, "Did you carry me here by yourself?"

She nodded, "I had some trouble, but it wasn't too far from where you fell." They were silent again, staring at each other. He wasn't sure of what to say since he was never around other children, and she had a similiar feeling, though she didn't want him to start making fun of her. He finally stood up, looking elsewhere and breaking the awkward stillness. She also stood up, waiting for him to speak or just depart like strangers do on the streets of Midgar.

He noticed from the corner of his eye the girl tugging at the cloak around her. She appeared to be only a few years younger than him, but what caught his attention the most were her mysterious, emerald eyes. When she stared at him, they seemed to be peering into your soul, but not to judge, only to comfort.

She sneezed and pulled her cloak tighter around her body. She was rubbing her nose when she suddenly felt more weight upon her shoulders. She found a big, white coat draped on her shoulders and looked up the boy, meeting his beautiful, cold, blue eyes. She smiled at his kind gesture, and he looked away from her, hiding his faint blush. He had no idea why the girl was making him feel so strange, so human. But why not? He was human after all, and funny, how the feeling was nice.

"My name's Aeris," she said, causing him to turn to her again, "What's yours?"

"Rufus," he answered quietly.

She covered her mouth and giggled, "RuRu..." He raised an eyebrow, staring at her, and couldn't help but join her innocent laughter.

"Aeris, you had every right not to tell me," the present Rufus said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze to reassure her that he didn't hold any anger towards her. "And I was never honest with you either, being a Shinra and all." He pulled his hand away from hers and clasped them together. He looked at the blue skies and said quietly, "I never had friends back then. They were too afraid of my father to come near me. I didn't care because I had my mother, but when she died..." He paused and closed his eyes, trying to push the memories of her death away.

His eyes flew open again when he felt supportive arms wrap around him from behind. "It's okay," she whispered, "I know how you feel, RuRu... I lost my real mother too." He nodded, and they stayed that way for a while, lingering in each other's understanding presence.

"Woah! All lovey-dovey already?!" came Reno's yawning voice. Aeris gasped and withdrew from Rufus in embarrassment at having been caught at an intimate, private moment. She moved back to her seat shyly as Rufus eyed the TURK grabbing an empty chair in between them. Reno grinned and rubbed his hands together with anticipation at the delicious meal before him. He grabbed a toast with one hand and a fork with another, getting the uneaten sausages.

Aeris giggled, watching the red head pig out, while Rufus shook his head in disgust at his table manners. "Slow down, Reno," she warned, "Or you might choke." Just as she said that, his eyes bulged out, and he started hitting his chest a few times. Aeris immediately gave him her orange juice, and he quickly gulped it all down. Even after that, he finished her plate and Rufus's with equal speed he began with.

"That was good!" he exclaimed. "I'll drop by more often. What's on the menu for dinner?"

"Perhaps 'roasted TURK'," Rufus smirked. Aeris doubled over in laughter, clutching her stomache.

"Then... I think I'll pass," the red head chuckled nervously. "Oh yeah, I dropped by for my report. Hojo..." He stopped when he noticed the severe look in Rufus's eyes and he glanced over to Aeris, who was staring at him in shock. "Uuh, I don't think SHE was supposed to know, huh?"

Aeris looked down at the table in worriment. "He's after me," she said quietly, "because I'm an Ancient." She shuddered at having to go back to the cold laboratory under the watchful eye of the heartless madman and shook her head furiously, "I don't want to go back there!"

"Ancient or not," Rufus said gently, and she looked up at him, "I won't let him take you away, so there's no need to worry about him." She was very happy to hear those words, even though she knew he wouldn't let anything happen to her because he was Rufus--her dear Rufus. She smiled and nodded. He turned to Reno, who was grinning the whole time, "Now wipe that smile off your face."

"Yes, Mister President!" he chuckled, still grinning. Rufus groaned, slapping a hand to his forehead, while Aeris giggled.


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

[on the floor, laughing] AHAHAHAA... sorrie, guys... I just had too much writing that opening note up there. Seriously though, I don't write lemons... but it would be nice if someone could write that for me with those two... But really, could you imagine RuRu getting all perverted on Aeris?? I think that would be SO funnie!

*sigh* Okay, no action YET. I'm just getting to mushy again, huh? I guess that's a good thing, but I'm hoping to get that action I promised in the NEXT chapter!!! Really!!! Hojo's planning something!!!!! Can't you feel it? Well he's a bastard anyway, so he would do something sneaky to get his way. Heh heh, it looks like I kinda forgot about Cloud-tachi, huh? They're not important in this story though... Gomen.

Anyway, classes have already started, so it might take some time for me to get new chapters out. (Someone point me to some SCRYED ficcies--that aren't in Japanese!!!! Mimori-chan with either Ryuhou-sama or Kazuma-sama!!!) =^o^=