Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Acting ❯ Doctor ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 6: Doctor
 
By the time Momiji got back with Hatori, Shigure and Tohru had managed to move the boys and Kagura back to the house. They had put Kagura in Tohru's room and the boys in their respective rooms. Shigure was waiting by the door when Hatori's car pulled up and he and Momiji jumped out.
 
“Thank Kami-sama,” he said quietly, “They're in their rooms Hatori.”
 
Hatori nodded and strode into the house with a business air about him; Shigure and Momiji following close behind. Hatori meet Tohru in the hall and asked her to wait downstairs promising to tell her what he found out when he finished. He sent the very worried Momiji with her in the hopes that it would get him to calm down. He let Shigure stay because he was, for the moment, calm and serious and could probably be of use.
 
“Could you tell which of them was worse?” he asked.
 
“Not really, but it's probably Yuki. I found him lying in front of a large boulder.”
 
“Hmm, that could mean any number of things. Let's begin with Kyo.” He walked through Kyo's open door to find him lying on his back staring blearily at the ceiling like it knew something. He would wince every time he drew a breath.
 
Hatori `tsked' and got right to work making sure that Kyo showed no signs of internal injuries and finding what injuries he did have. His exam found a number of broken ribs, a few lacerations, and a badly twisted ankle. He waved Shigure, who had been standing out of the way, over, “I'm going to put a temporary splint around ribs and ankle and tomorrow I will bring the proper dressings for these.”
 
Shigure nodded and Hatori glanced at Kyo's face, “Were going to lift you slightly so try not to scream please.”
 
Kyo nearly did scream when his torso was lifted off the mattress. Hatori quickly, but efficiently, splint his ribs then moved to his ankle while Shigure lowered Kyo's body onto the mattress.
 
“Alright that should do it. Shigure, shout down the stares for Tohru to bring some ice for his ankle.” Shigure left the room and Hatori gave Kyo a shot of pain killer, “Sleep Kyo.”
 
Hatori was packed up and out the door before Kyo finished passing out.
 
`Do not worry, child, your hardship will have its reward.' Was the last thing Kyo heard before falling into blessed unconsciousness.
 
--------------
Shigure hurried into Yuki's room soon after Hatori got there. He had already began to gently probe Yuki for injuries.
 
“Shigure, get extra bandages and a bowl of warm water with a towel.”
 
Shigure was gone and back in record time. Hatori spared time to raise an eyebrow at him.
 
“Tohru...”
 
Hatori nodded, “Put that over here then help me remove his clothes. Get his pants off and I'll cut of his shirt.”
 
Shigure blinked, his hands already working, “Cut off his shirt?”
 
“His shoulder feels wrong. If it's dislocated, as I suspect, then I want to jar it as little as possible before attempting to put it back into place.” Hatori explained as he pulled out one of his scalpels.
 
Once Yuki's clothes were removed Shigure and Hatori got to work cleaning and bandaging the larger cuts. It took Hatori two tries but he got Yuki's shoulder back into place. Yuki, still unconscious, yelped at the pain it caused then whimpered at the discomfort that created.
 
Ten more minutes and they had Yuki completely cleaned and bandaged. He looked bad with wrappings on his shoulder, around his torso, a splint on his leg, and bandages in various other places.
 
 
The next day Tohru was torn between going to school and staying to help with Yuki and Kyo, who were still bed ridden and unconscious. Hatori, who had taken Kagura home the night before, told her it would probably be better for her to got to school. He said that the boys wouldn't be able to go to school for at least a week, possibly longer in Yuki's case, and some one needed to get their school assignments.
 
------------
 
“Hey, where's the carrot top and the prince today?” Uo wondered aloud.
 
“They were absent yesterday as well.” Hana added.
 
“Hey Tohru, do you know where they are? Are they ditchin' together?” Uo asked with a grin.
 
“Um, well, there was, well, that is, something happened and, um, they got hurt. So, um, they probably won't be a school all this week.” Tohru finished in a rush.
 
“No way!” Uo exclaimed, “Those two got hurt? By someone other than each other?”
 
Tohru nodded.
 
Uo gave an impressed whistle.
 
“They will miss getting the option of which club to join.” Hana commented as she began to braid Tohru's hair.
 
“Yeah, I wonder what they'll get stuck in...” Uo trailed off.
 
“Why do we have mandatory clubs for 3rd years anyway?” she demanded suddenly.
 
Tohru shrugged as Hana continued to braid her hair.
 
-------------
 
As it turned out, the only club with places left open was the Drama Club.
 
“I hope they end up with an on stage bit.” Uo said.
 
“Why?” Tohru asked.
 
“Because I need something to laugh at them about obviously!”
 
“I over heard the Drama clubs' president talking about it. It seems that they will have very important rolls if she has her way.” Hana put in.
 
When Tohru got home that day she was surprised to find that Kyo wasn't in his room. When she peeked into Yuki's bedroom she found both of the boys. Yuki was propped up against his pillow and headboard.
 
“Its reasons like this that people get restraining orders.” Kyo was saying.
 
“I suppose. Do you really think that would have stopped her?” Yuki asked quietly.
 
“Guess not, still I... um, I'm sorry... for what happened.” Kyo finally managed.
 
Yuki made a vague noise of acceptance, “Anyway. Honda-san had you needed something?”
 
“Epp...” Tohru looked somewhat sheepish as she entered the room, “Well, I was told to give you your work packets and that we picked clubs today, because it's mandatory for 3rd years, and because you were absent you didn't get to choose so they put you where they still had room and....”
 
“Breathe,” the boys told her, “you're babbling.”
 
“So, what'd we get stuck with?” Kyo asked.
 
“Drama.”
 
There was a lengthy pause.
 
“WHAT?!” Kyo screamed. He regretted it a second later as his ribs burned with pain.
 
Yuki simply stared coldly at the wall next to Tohru which seemed to be slowly turning to ice.
 
“Gomen-nasai, that's how it worked out.” Tohru said quickly.
 
“Don't apologies for something you couldn't control Honda-san.” Yuki said softly.
 
Kyo nodded in agreement.
 
“Umm... so, how long before Hatori-san will let you go back to school?” Tohru asked changing the subject.
 
“I could go back in a few days if I wanted.” Kyo muttered showing no intention of doing so.
 
“Next week, possibly longer.”
 
“Ok, umm, I'll go start dinner.” Tohru fled the room leaving the boys staring at the place she'd been standing.
 
“Well, isn't that just so appropriate?” Kyo grumbled.
 
“Ironically so.” Yuki agreed.
 
Kyo sighed and looked at Yuki, “So, what are we going to do about school?”
 
“In what way?”
 
“The acting and the injuries.”
 
Yuki thought on it for a second, “I think the acting for school doesn't need to change in general, though you're going to have to give me a hand occasionally, I very much doubt I can convince Hatori to let me go to school without crutches.”
 
“And what about the injuries? People are going to notice yours real fast and you are `The Prince'.” Kyo pointed out.
 
Yuki groaned, “True... I suppose we could say it was an accident and leave it at that.”
 
Kyo shrugged, “Well, landslides happen pretty often around here.”
 
Yuki all but jumped on the idea. “That would be perfect!”
 
 
The week went by both quickly and slowly. For Tohru, who was worried about the boys, the week seemed to crawl by. For Yuki and Kyo, who were planning and organizing, the week was over far to fast.
 
On Friday, Hatori came to cheek on the boys' injuries. He started with Yuki because his wounds had been more severe. The first thing he had Yuki do was demonstrate the range of motion he'd regained in his shoulder. He managed to move his arm in every requested manner with a nominal amount of pain. Next, Hatori moved to examine Yukis' ribs and back.
 
“Have you had any problems in the last few days?”
 
Yuki shook his head.
 
Hatori nodded and moved on to the various cuts and lacerations.
 
“Well, most of these bandages can come of but the cast will stay and I want you to be careful of the cuts on your back, hip, and arm. I assume you wish to return to school?”
 
Yuki nodded knowing what Hatori would say next.
 
“Then you have to use crutches, they shouldn't affect the cut on your arm, I have a pair in my car; I'll get them when I'm done with Kyo.”
 
Hatori packed up and exited the small room. He found Kyo outside working on the packet from school.
 
“Your turn.”
 
Kyo glared at Hatori as he put the work down. Hatori swiftly checked Kyos' ankle and the deep cut on his shin above it.
 
“These will need to stay wrapped. Can you walk normally on it like this?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Pull up your shirt.”
 
Kyo did so, allowing Hatori to look at the various rib-based injuries he had. Kyo winced and hissed many times through the exam.
 
“Sounds like these should stay bound as well, but, you can return to school on Monday as can Yuki.”
 
“Goody.” Kyo growled.
 
Hatori smiled faintly before returning to his car to fetch the crutches for Yuki.
 
 
Alright! So what did you all think of that then? You know how the boys are doing now and maybe have an idea of what will happen. I'll try to finish more of the story quickly so you can find out more. Wish me luck. BTW, I was thinking of changing my name to Joyful Writer, what do ya think?