Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Acting ❯ Lunch and a Show ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13 Lunch and a Show
 
It was around mid-afternoon when Yuki and Kyo stopped working on their lines. They'd gotten through all of the section of Act 2 that Kyo had wanted to work on. After that, Yuki rather reluctantly worked on his character's lines with Bottom which Kyo helped with, though he spent a fair bit of the time just teasing Yuki. That is until Yuki punched him.
 
“Will you stop that already?!” he shouted.
 
Kyo rubbed the side of his head where Yuki had struck him.
 
“Sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, you didn't hurt your arm did you?”
 
“You're thick head did a good job of stopping my arm before I could. Why don't we stop now?”
 
“Sounds good.” Kyo stretched and stood before glancing at the clock. It read 4:47. “Think the others are back?”
 
“Probably.” Yuki tossed his script on the table and stretched out on the couch.
 
“I think I'm gonna go grab a snack from the convenience store. Want anything?” Kyo asked as he rummaged around for his wallet.
 
“Hmm, maybe something to drink, but are you sure you want to walk that far?”
 
“Morphine is a wonderful thing,” Kyo said with a crooked grin. He stood up, having located his wallet in the drawer of the bedside table, and moved to the door. “Alright, be right back.”
 
Yuki just shrugged and picked up a book. He'd read nearly half a chapter by the time Kyo returned.
 
“Hey Yuki, I got you some iced coffee,” Kyo said as he slipped off his untied shoes. “I also found Tohru in the lobby.”
 
Yuki set down his book and sure enough there was Tohru standing in the door toeing off her own shoes.
 
“Good afternoon, Yuki-kun,” she said with her usual smile.
 
Yuki smiled in return. “Good afternoon, Honda-san. Did you have fun hiking?”
 
Tohru nodded and sat on the desk chair. Kyo handed Yuki his can of coffee before stretching out on his bed.
 
“So tell us about it. You two went up to see that spring, right?”
 
“Yeah, it was really pretty!” she said brightly. “The pools were a really deep blue and each one had different flowers growing around it and…”
 
The boys listened as she described everything about the scene and some of the other things she and Momiji had seen along the trail. Apparently, they passed the edge of the ravine in several places before climbing up the side of a mountain to the spring. The same path also went by the stable, so Momiji and Tohru had gone by to look at the horses.
 
“There were a few being saddled up and Momiji said they were small horses but they looked awfully big to me,” Tohru told them with a hint of worry.
 
“The rabbit's probably right,” Kyo said with a shrug, “for the trails `round here a smaller horse is safer.”
 
“Oh.”
 
After that they settled into talking about this and that, just random topics that would segue into one another. Inevitably, the acting they were doing to get all these girls away from them came up.
 
“Do you guys think it's working?” Tohru asked.
 
The boys exchanged a look. Kyo gave Yuki a questioning look and Yuki shrugged.
 
“Perhaps, though we are probably having more success for Kyo than for me. We seem to have convinced Kagura, but we may just be stirring up that blasted fan club,” Yuki finished with a sigh.
 
Kyo nodded in agreement. “Did I tell you guys that I saw her the other day?”
 
Tohru and Yuki looked at him in surprise.
 
“Yeah, the same day that Hatori and Ayame showed up. She was at the front door and fidgeting and when she tried to say something she couldn't. She couldn't even look at me without blushing. She got about two words out before she took off,” he finished with a shrug.
 
“Interesting.”
 
“Maybe…” Tohru said hesitantly, “maybe she wanted to apologize?”
 
“That was my guess,” Kyo said as he rolled over onto his back.
 
“If she did would you accept it?”
 
Kyo frowned. “I don't know. I guess it depends on what she apologizes for.”
 
Tohru nodded. “As long as you let her try. But you should probably accept it anyway. She may still want to be your friend.”
 
Kyo's eyebrows shot up in surprise. “You think?”
 
Tohru just nodded again.
 
Kyo shrugged.
 
“Oh!” Tohru's face brightened suddenly. “What were you guys thinking to show us tomorrow?”
 
“Uhhh…” Kyo looked at Yuki uncertainly.
 
“Would it be ok if we kept that to ourselves? We want it to be a surprise,” Yuki told her with his most charming smile.
 
“Oh, that's fine. I'll be looking forward to it!” she said with a grin.
 
They talked for a while longer before Tohru politely took her leave. As soon as the door closed Kyo turned to Yuki.
 
“Ok, I know we never picked a scene so what the heck are we going to do?”
 
“Nothing that requires more than the two of us. It would probably be best to do the scene we just finished earlier,” Yuki said, waving his hand at the script.
 
“The arguing? I can do that.”
 
“From memory?”
 
Kyo raised an eyebrow.
 
“It would be much more impressive,” Yuki said with a minor smirk. “If we must do this then we might as well show off.”
 
“Meh,” Kyo shrugged, “shouldn't be too hard.”
 
-------------------------
 
The next day, they got to sleep in. Since they were going to have a picnic lunch, Ayame had decreed that everyone could get breakfast when they wanted. Kyo slept in until just after nine before leisurely rising and getting ready for the day. He spent some time massaging the scar tissue around his ankle, until it got too painful, and doing some physical therapy. After that he wandered back down to the convenience store to find some food for breakfast because it was easier and cheaper then going to the restaurant. He grabbed a little extra in case Yuki woke up before it was time to pack up for the picnic. Then he wandered back to the room and sat on his bed reading.
 
A little before eleven, Yuki rose from his bed and dragged himself into the bathroom. Kyo got up to conspicuously place the small bottle of milk and pastry he'd picked up where Yuki, even in his half awake state, would notice it. When Yuki came out of the bathroom, he stared at the offering for a bit before turning to dig out his clothes for the day. Once dressed, he took the food Kyo had left for him.
 
“Thanks,” he said.
 
“No prob,” Kyo replied with a small shrug. He was still reading his book, “Though I honestly have been expecting the snake or the rabbit to turn up for about the past half hour.”
 
Yuki grunted and chugged the milk. Just as he finished putting the empty container down the door beeped softly. Kyo barely had time to look at it questioningly before it burst open.
 
“Dearest Little Brother! Kyo-kun! It is time! Time for us to immerse ourselves in the wonder, the splendor, of a mountain picnic!” Ayame's cheerful exuberance was met with a hard glare from the still waking Yuki.
 
“Why the hell do you have a key to our room?!” Kyo demanded.
 
Ayame grinned at him. “Is it not a good idea for us to have spares in case of emergency?”
 
“Oh that just bu…”
 
“Nii-san, if you will please go ahead of us, we will join everyone in the lobby shortly,” Yuki interrupted coldly.
 
“Er…” Ayame seemed to deflate a bit at Yuki's cold request. “Well…”
 
Ayame was saved from his awkward moment by Momiji, who ran up and exclaimed for Ayame to hurry because they wanted to add a few more things to the basket they were picking up from the hotel restaurant. Ayame nodded and with a quick word for the boys to not dawdle, he was off.
 
Kyo sighed. “Well that was fun.”
 
Yuki scowled.
 
----------------
 
After joining the others in the lobby everyone piled into Hatori's car to drive to the slopes.
 
“Didn't you say that the place wasn't far down one of the trails?” Kyo muttered as he squeezed in.
 
“Well, it is but there's a small parking lot near it and this is easier then carrying everything,” Shigure said with a grin.
 
Everyone fell to small talk during the short ride to the slope parking. It turned out that another reason for driving was that it let them out near a reasonably flat area of the slope. If they had taken the trail, they would have come out a bit higher up and had to walk either up or down the slope to find a good picnic spot. As it was, they had a somewhat hard time finding a spot that wasn't terribly close to any of the other happy families. It really was a lovely day for a picnic. The air was clear with only the occasional fluffy cloud, there was a gentle breeze that kept the temperature very reasonable and nearly as far as the eye could see up and down the slope stunning narcissi flowers painted it a beautiful yellow.
 
“I have to admit, this is rather stunning,” Yuki commented quietly to Tohru, who was still trying to take in the scenery as they walked.
 
Finally they found a spot that no one had claimed and was far enough to allow them some privacy.
 
“Shall we play a little before lunch?” Shigure asked, holding up a Frisbee.
 
Several of the others cheered in agreement and sped after the disk when he tossed it. They tossed it back and forth for a while before lofting it to Hatori who caught it easily.
 
“Come on Ha-chan! You should play too!” Shigure called.
 
Hatori smiled a bit and rolled his eyes before stepping away from the blanket. Then his grin turned a little evil before he shot the Frisbee a good half-meter over Shigure's head. As Shigure turned to chase the disc Hatori winked at the boys and Tohru, who were closest to him, and said, “Fetch.”
 
Yuki grinned, Kyo laughed and Tohru tried not to laugh.
 
“Bastard!” Shigure shouted over his shoulder as he chased after the toy.
 
It really was an old joke on his zodiac that came up every now and then, but none of the younger members of the group had ever really seen him playing like this so it was still quite funny to them. Finally, Shigure jumped and caught the Frisbee a good ten feet or so from where he'd started.
 
“Happy now?” Hatori asked him when he'd come back closer to the others.
 
Shigure frowned theatrically. “No.”
 
Hatori raised an eyebrow.
 
“I didn't get my treat.”
 
Ayame and Momiji laughed at this as did the others by the blanket.
 
Hatori smirked. “I'll be sure to give it to you later.”
 
Shigure perked up. “I'll hold you to that!”
 
They tossed the Frisbee around a little more, Kyo and Tohru joining in, before deciding that it was time to eat. They gathered on the blanket and pulled out the food they had ordered from the hotel. There were sandwiches, fruit, carrots cut into the shapes of flowers, chips and juice for everyone. For dessert they had a selection of small pastries and tea. The lunchtime conversation was light-hearted with quite a bit of teasing going back and forth as well as good natured bickering that had everyone laughing. Things eventually wound down, with people nursing various drinks and chatting quietly.
 
“Alright Yuki, Kyo, are you going to round out our picnic with a lovely performance?”
 
Kyo glanced at Hatori and then at Yuki, who nodded and slowly stood. Kyo sighed and climbed to his feet. They both stepped off the blanket into a lush patch of narcissi. They stood a few feet apart and faced each other. Their audience waited quietly for them to begin.
 
“Ill met by moonlight, proud Titania,” Kyo said in a deep, even tone with a look of disapproval on his face.
 
“What, jealous Oberon! Fairies skip hence: I have foresworn his bed and company.” This time Yuki's response held a somewhat cold and annoyed quality to it. He turned slightly away from Kyo to emphasize his lines.
 
Kyo scowled. “Tarry rash wonton: am I not thy lord?”
 
Yuki sneered at him. “Then I must be thy lady: but I know when thou hast stolen away from fairy land, and in the shape of Corin sat all day, playing on pipes of love and versing all day to amorous Pillida. Why art thou here, come from the farthest Steppe of India? But that, forsooth, the bouncing Amazon, your buckskin'd mistress and your warrior love, to Theseus must be wed, and you come to give their bed joy and prosperity.”
 
Kyo raised his eyebrows and gave Yuki a look of amusement. “How canst thou thus for shame, Titania, glance at my credit with Hippolyta, knowing I know thy love to Theseus? Didst thou not lead him through the glimmering night from Perigenia, whom he ravished? And make him with fair Aegle break his faith, with Ariadne and Antiopa?”
 
Yuki turned back to Kyo with his hands on his hips and snapped his next lines. Kyo smirked a bit when he replied to Yuki's harsh words. Yuki sniffed haughtily, turned away from Kyo and crossed his arms as he explained why he would not give up the Indian prince. Tohru, Momiji, and Ayame sat glued to the performance and the other two watched with rapt attention. While Yuki really didn't look terribly feminine and Kyo wasn't really an imposing figure they were doing there best to make up for that with there expressions and voices. And they were succeeding. Making themselves seem like they were far more then they appeared.
 
“How long within these woods intend you stay?” Kyo asked coolly.
 
Yuki struck a gracefully thoughtful pose. “Perchance till after Theseus' wedding-day. If you will patiently dance in our round and see our moonlight revels, go with us; if not, shun me, and I will spare your haunts.”
 
“Give me that boy, and I will go with thee.”
 
Yuki threw his arms up in exasperation. “Not for thy fairy kingdom. Fairies away! We shall chide downright, if I longer stay.” He then turned and walked back to the blanket. “This is when my character leaves the scene and where we will be ending the scene. Was it to your liking?”
 
“That was amazing,” Tohru told them with a look of awe. Momiji nodded slowly in agreement.
 
“Little brother, Kyo may I say that your abilities far exceed all expectations!” Ayame gushed. “Were it not midday, I would feel that I was viewing an enchanted encounter by moonlight.”
 
Kyo quirked an eyebrow at him but they accepted the compliment.
 
“I am pleased that your injuries are not hindering you too much,” Hatori said.
 
“And I feel that you both have a good feel for your characters,” Shigure added.
 
“If we have to do this then we may as well do it to the absolute best of our ability!” Kyo said with a toothy grin.
 
“Exactly,” Yuki was also smiling, pleased by Shigure's compliment, “So shall we wrap up our outing?”
 
The others chuckled and nodded in agreement. They all chatted about the play and other things as they collected up the picnic dishes and folded the blanket. They wandered back to the car while discussing other plans for the day. The boys mentioned that they were thinking of going back to the clearing they'd seen the other day while hiking and Tohru and Hatori asked if they could join.
 
“Oh by the way, I was thinking we should all go to the outdoor baths this evening,” Shigure said as he put the picnic stuff in the car trunk. He glanced at the others who were, for the most part, nodding in agreement and held up a hand to forestall any objections from the Yuki or Kyo. “I realize that you two can't go in the spring for one reason or another but I think you should come with us.”
 
“That sounds nice,” Ayame sighed happily, “a warm bath with family.” He grinned at Tohru. “Because of course, our cute Tohru is family!” He then pulled her into a warm hug when she blushed and grinned.
 
The others laughed and voiced their agreement. Momiji swept everyone, even Hatori, Yuki and Kyo into the hug and turned it into a big group hug.