Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ever Needed ❯ Reflected in Shards of Glass ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Reflected in Shards of Glass
 
*********
"I don't want the world to see me
`Cuz I don't think that they'd understand
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am."
*********
-Iris By: The Goo-Goo Dolls
 
“Kazuma-sensei! Kazuma-sensei! Look over here!” The brown haired boy called enthusiastically. Kazuma looked back at him, and he did a punch in the air. “Am I doing it right? Am I? Am I?”
Kazuma smiled, and walked over to the boy and crouched beside him, placing a hand on his shoulder.
“Only twelve years old and you're already so much more advanced than your class! Kunimitsu Tomodo, you amaze me sometimes.” The pre-teen smiled broadly at the words and proceeded to demonstrate a half-polished series of kicks and punches that were well beyond his years.
“I'm still working on these.” Kunimitsu said, his brow furrowed with concentration as he hesitated and stumbled on most of the moves.
“You're doing a great job.” Kazuma assured. “Just don't raise you leg so high on that second kick. You wouldn't want to fall over.” Kunimitsu thought for a moment.
“You're right! Thanks, Kazuma-sensei!” Kazuma ruffled the boy's hair.
“You know, someday you should come be my personal assistant or something. You could spend a lot more time at the dojo, and-”
“Shishou?” A little red haired boy poked his head around the corner.
“Ah, Kunimitsu, I don't believe you've met my adoptive son Kyo. He just moved in a couple weeks ago.” Kunimitsu looked at boy over.
By his strange bright orange hair and unusual crimson colored eyes, it was apparent he wasn't blood related to Kazuma-sensei. But this “Kyo” was a very handsome boy none the less, and looked kind, even if a bit shy. He walked over and held out his hand.
“Hi, Kyo. I'm Kunimitsu; it's nice to meet you. I'm adopted too, so I guess we have something in common.” He smiled as Kyo shyly took his hand and shook it.
“Kazuma-sensei!” An older student called to the man. “There's a lady at the front door who wants to speak with you!” Kazuma turned back to the boys and said:
“I'm sure you boys have much to talk about. I have something I need to deal with, so if you would like, you two can play together while I go tend to something.” He looked over to Kunimitsu. “And Kunimitsu, Kyo has taken an interest in martial arts. If you don't mind, you might teach him a few basics?” Kunimitsu smiled, his bright blue eyes sparkling.
“Can-do, Kazuma-sensei!”
“Kazuma-sensei!” The older boy called again.
“I'm coming!” Kazuma called back, as he got up from his kneel, and smiled at the two boys and caught up with one of his older students. “So, who wants to speak to me and what about.”
“I don't know,” replied the boy, shaking his head, “She just asked to speak to you.”
“All right.” The boy led Kazuma into the living room of the house, where a strawberry-blonde woman sat, looking curiously around the room. “Ms…uh…” The woman looked up in surprise, and got up out of her seat.
“Oh, hello. I'm Kyoko Honda. Thank you for taking time to speak to me, Kazuma-san? Can I call you that?” Kazuma smiled.
“That will be fine.” Kazuma motioned back to the chair, “Sit down, please.”
“Thank you,” Kyoko said. Once they were both settled, facing each other, Kazuma said
“So, what was it you wanted to see me about.” Kyoko looked at him.
“I'm here about a boy named Kunimitsu Tomodo…I think that's his last name. I already contacted his parents, but they said he was staying here for the next three days.”
“You are correct,” Kazuma replied.
“Well, you see.” Kyoko let out a breath. “I am Kunimitsu's birth mother, and I wish to speak to him. His parents said it would be all right with them if he was okay with it.” Kazuma's eyebrows lifted in surprise. This woman looked nothing like Kunimitsu. It must all be from the father's side.
“Well, he is outside, talking with my son, so I could go check.” Kyoko's eyes sparkled as Kazuma got up and led her outside.
“Thank you so much. You don't know how much this means to me!”
“Wait here.” Kazuma halted her in the doorway of the porch leading out to face to dojo area. Kazuma walked out to the two boys.
“Right straight!” Kyo squeaked as his arm shot out but barely made any impact on Kunimitsu.
“Almost!” the older boy said, moving to help him, “But you've gotta move your arm like this when you punch, and move you legs and the rest of your body together forward. That way, you can put your whole body's force into the punch- Oh, Kazuma-sensei! Who was it?”
“Um, Kunimitsu. Could I talk to you for a moment, excuse us, Kyo.” He led Kunimitsu aside. “Kunimitsu, the reason I was pulled aside just now is that there was a woman that came to talk to me. Her name is Kyoko Honda-san. She-” Kazuma faltered for a moment before continuing. “She is your birth mother.” Kunimitsu's eyes widened.
“My birth mother? You mean my real one?”
“Yes and she wants to speak to you very much, would that be okay?”
“Yes! I want to talk to her too!”
“All right then.” Kazuma stood up, and motioned to the lady standing in the doorway to come over. Kunimitsu looked at her. They didn't look at all alike, but she was indeed very pretty, and her eyes showed she had a strong will and spirit.
“Hello.” His voice was soft, not sure what to make of her, but so far, he was pleased.
“Hello, Kunimitsu. My name is Kyoko Honda. I am you birth mother, as Kazuma has undoubtedly told you.”
“Yes.”
“So…you like martial arts?”
“Yes! Very much! And Kazuma-sensei is the best teacher anyone could have!” Kunimitsu smiled a board smile showing a row of pearly white teeth. “I- um…”
“Yes?” Kyoko prompted.
“Uh…are you married now?”
“Yes, to a wonderful man named Katsuya. He's used to be a teacher, but now he does pharmaceutical things. He's away on a business trip as we speak.” Kunimitsu smiled.
“And uh…”
“Go on.” Kazuma encouraged.
“I really want to know…do I have any siblings?” Kyoko's face transformed as she smiled, her eyes sparkling.
“Yes. You have one younger sister. Her name is Tohru.”
“Tohru. Isn't that a boy's name?”
“Usually yes, but Katsuya says it brings out a hidden flavor in her.”
“Flavor…” Kunimitsu was confused.
“Like how you add salt to something sweet to make it better. Katsuya wants Tohru to be that kinda girl.” Kunimitsu was ecstatic.
“What does she look like?!”
“Well, sort of like you, I guess. She has dark brown hair, and blue eyes. Not quite as electric blue as yours but, oh she's sooo cute! It just makes you want to hug her!” The boy was practically bouncing up and down.
“I- I have a sister! I have baby sister!”
“Is there anything you'd like to ask me, Kunimitsu?” Kyoko asked.
“Um…I thought about what I would say if I ever met my real mother, and I've been wanting to ask you…” his face fell a bit, “why did you give me up?” Kyoko looked into his eyes with melancholy expression.
“I was sixteen when I became pregnant with you, Kunimitsu. I was into all sorts of bad things back then. I was doing drugs, I was in a gang…it was a really bad life, and I just couldn't handle a child. At first, I was sure I wanted to have an abortion. Then you would have never been born.” A look of horror flashed across Kunimitsu's face, before Kyoko continued.
“But when I thought about it, I decided I wanted to give you the life I never got a chance to have. To have a chance to grow up in a loving family and when the sun comes up, be happy that there's a new day ahead of you. I just wanted what was best for my first child.”
Kunimitsu suddenly raced up and hugged Kyoko tightly, tears burning in his eyes.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom, for everything. My life right now is so happy. My adoptive mom and dad are really nice people, and they really love me. And I have lots of friends at school, and I get to do martial arts at the dojo with Kazuma-sensei. I love my life! Thank you so much for giving it to me.” Kyoko squeezed him back.
“Don't thank me for it. I'm just glad you're happy, and that I made the right choice in giving you up.” She pulled back to look at him, brushing a stray strand of hair out of his face. “You are such a beautiful, wonderful boy. I'm so glad I gave birth to you. I love you so much.”
“I love you too.” They held each other for a long time, before Kyoko sighed and said.
“I should probably go. Tohru will be getting worried, she's only six you know…” she paused, “About the same age as that red haired boy over there.” Kyo looked up, and shyly waved at her. Something in his eyes caught her attention. It was like looking into a heart that had just recently been stitched up. Kyoko shook her head. “Anyway, I'd better get going so I can start to make dinner.” Kunimitsu hugged her one more time.
“Come visit me again sometime, will you?” Kyoko smiled.
“Of course.”
“And say hello to Tohru for me.” Kyoko nodded. And as she started to walk away, she heard the call of a little boy and stopped, smiled, then continued on.
“Be safe, Mom!”
* * *
When Kyoko creaked open the door to her apartment, the lights were still on, but Tohru was asleep at the kotatsu. Kyoko picked her up gently, and carried her into the bedroom, careful not to wake her. Then the phone rang, and she scurried to get it.
“Katsuya! You're business trip's almost over right?”
“Yes,” the reply come over the phone.
“Do you still have that cold? See a doctor already!” Kyoko demanded.
“I don't have time.”
“That's no excuse! I know you're busy, but you're making me worry. I'm coming over there.”
“I'm fine. Don't catch my cold and pass it on to Tohru. I'll be leaving tomorrow.” Katsuya laughed statically over the phone
“Yeah?”
“Yeah. How is Tohru, by the way?”
“She's fine,” Kyoko said glancing over to the open door of the bedroom. “She's asleep in bed right now.”
“All right,” Katsuya wheezed, then Kyoko heard him clear his throat, then repeat more clearly. “All right. But, I've been thinking. Do you think it's time to make her a sibling?”
At this, Kyoko flinched involuntarily. True to her promise to herself those many years ago, she had still not told Katsuya that Tohru was not her first child. Kyoko laughed to cover up the brief silence.
“Is that what you want?”
“Yes.”
“Wow…he he.”
“I'll call you again when I get back.”
“Okay. Bundle up and get some sleep. And go to the doctor!” Kyoko emphasized. She heard Katsuya sigh on the other end, a wheeze underlying it.
“I will. Get some sleep yourself. Good night…Miss No-Eyebrows.” Kyoko smiled at their private nickname, and hung up the phone. She quietly walked over Tohru's sleeping figure, leaned down, and kissed her softly on the forehead.
“Your brother says hello.”
 
End of Chapter 5:
“Reflected in Shards of Glass”
 
 
A/n: More title switching! Yay! This was a hardcore flashback chapter, so…yeah. Hope you liked it. And again! Writing fever! Wrote this chapter all in one day! And I'm so proud of myself for being able to draw out a scene like this! And I'm able to make my chapters longer, and longer, and I'm so happy! ^_^. Oh! And the phone conversation between Kyoko and Katsuya was straight from vol. 16 of the manga, and it worked out so perfectly, I was ecstatic! All right! Join me next chapter! I promise I'll get back to our heros.
--------------------------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!