Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ever Needed ❯ Some Secrets Refuse to Stay Buried ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12: Some Secrets Refuse to Stay Buried
 
*************
Is he real or a ghost-lie?
She feels she isn't heard
And the veil tears and rages till her
Voices are remembered
And his secrets can be told
*************
-Lust
Tori Amos
To Venus and Back: Orbiting
 
“Tohru…”
“Kyo-kun—” she cut off coughing. When she recovered, she began again. “Kyo-kun, I was worried about you? Where were you?”
“I—” he hesitated. He had the courage to do this. He did and he would. “I had to sort some things out.” She smiled and patted the bed by her legs. He hesitated a moment, and crossed the room silently to sit on the bed. Tohru gave him a sympathizing look, laying her hand on his.
“It's okay, Kyo-kun,” she wheezed, coughing to clear her throat. Kyo's expression became confused.
“You've been taking that medicine for two days now, and nothing's better.”
“I'm sure it just takes a while to kick in,” Tohru said, giving him a reassuring smile. In spite of himself, the corner of his mouth twitched up. “By the way, how is Yuki-kun doing?”
“I'm right here, Ms. Honda,” Yuki said, striding in through the doorway.
“Oh! Yuki-kun!” She smiled at him, and he grinned back.
“I should be asking how you are holding up, Ms. Honda,” he asked, his expression concerned.
“I'm fine, Yuki-kun, honest—” She coughed, and he glared at her.
“Ms. Honda,” he said and she looked down at the bed covers.
“The damn rat's got a point,” Kyo muttered. Yuki looked at him, eyebrows raised. Kyo glared at him, and then turned back to Tohru. “Rest, all ready! You do know that you get better quicker when you actually get some?” She smiled. Her face was flushed with fever, making it look like she was blushing.
“Okay,” she looked up at them both, “thank you so much. For everything.”
“Oh, what a surprise!” They heard Shigure say from downstairs.
“Well, I guess the jellyfish is up,” Yuki muttered. They heard another voice answer. A deep, male voice, and another, slightly higher one, and a female voice. “I wonder who's here,” Yuki wondered, he turned to Tohru, “I'll go check.” He turned and went down the hall. They were alone! He could finally tell her!
“Tohru!” His voice was a bit loud, due to the emotion he was trying to keep squashed inside of him. She turned to him, her face surprised. “There's something I need to tell you,” Kyo said, his eyes fierce.
“What is it, Kyo-kun?” Tohru said, oblivious.
“Tohru…when I was little…I met your mother!” He said, the words rushing out of his mouth. She just gaped at him.
“What?!”
“I met her at Kazuma's dojo when I was little. She talked to me about some things.” Kyo said, meeting Tohru's bewildered gaze.
“What was Mom doing there?” Tohru wondered, still getting over the shock of knowing that Kyo had met her mother. This was the hard part. He took in a deep breath, summoned all his courage, looked her in the eye and said:
“Visiting your brother.”
* * *
“Oh! What a surprise!” The door opened, and Shigure was behind it, his hair messy as if he'd just gotten out of bed.
“Hello, Shigure,” Kazuma said pleasantly, walking through the door into the house, followed by two people.
“Is she here?” Kunimitsu asked. “Is she really here?” Kazuma smiled and turned around, placing a hand on Kunimitsu's shoulder.
“Calm down, Kunimitsu,” Kazuma comforted.
“Yeah, geez,” Rin muttered from behind them. Shigure peeked around Kazuma's figure.
“Rin?” He asked in puzzlement, “Why are you here?” Kazuma laughed in response as Rin glared.
“She's staying with us,” Kazuma answered, “and we didn't want to leave her alone. After all, Rin is the reason we're here in the first place.” Rin continued glaring.
“Is that so?” Shigure asked. Kazuma smiled and winked at him.
“You'll see soon enough.”
“Shihan?” Yuki asked, walking down the stairs and around the corner, and then catching sight of Rin who was trying to avoid eye contact. “Rin?”
“I don't know anymore that you do, Yuki,” Shigure said with a smile, “They're sort of on a secret mission.” Yuki still looked puzzled, but decided to let it go.
“Is Ms. Tohru Honda home?” Kazuma asked.
“Yes she certainly is…although she's sick at the moment.” Shigure said. “Though I'm sure she'd love some company other than these two boring young people,” Shigure teased. Yuki flinched instinctively. Kunimitsu was practically bouncing up and down on his heels.
“May we go up?” Kunimitsu asked, almost quashing his excitement. Shigure eyed him suspiciously, but nodded. Kunimitsu and Kazuma headed up the stairs, Rin gazing after them.
“You're not going?” Shigure asked. She gave him a sideways look, and then sighed.
“I guess. Don't want to miss the big show.” Then she grudgingly walked up the stairs after them, followed by Shigure.
 
 
Once they were all in Tohru's room, she was beaming.
“Oh! Shishou-san, Isuzu-san! I'm so glad you came to visit me! I'm so grateful!” She wheezed. Kazuma smiled at her, and then his face turned serious.
“Tohru-san, there is something I would like to talk to you about.” He eyes widened. She stared at all the faces surrounding her. Kyo, Yuki, Shigure, Shishou-san, Isuzu…and one unfamiliar face, beaming at her with intensity.
“What is it, Shishou-san?” she asked, then coughed.
“Tohru-san...I'd like to introduce you to someone.” He said. The boy she didn't recognize stepped forward, still smiling. “This is my assistant at the dojo.” Kazuma nodded to the boy and bowed formally, and then looked her straight in the eye.
“Hello, Tohru Honda. I am Kunimitsu Tomodo…your half brother.”
 
 
End of Chapter 12:
“Some Secrets Refuse to Stay Buried”
A/n: Wooow! I can't believe I made it to chapter 12! WOO HOO! I'm thinking I'm going to make this story 14 chapters long, plus the Epilogue, so it's a total of 15 chapters. One for each member of the zodiac, plus Akito, Tohru, and Kyo. ^_^ So the secret's finally out! Tohru has a half brother! Now we get to see Kyo's portion of the story…and what he has to say. PS, you all are going to hate me for what route I've decided the story is going to take. ^_^ *evil grin* It's your choice, though. You can stop reading now and spare yourself…if you dare….
Well, enjoy the next chapter!
--------------------------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!