Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ever Needed ❯ What's On My Mind ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 13: What's On My Mind
 
*************
“It won't do me any good it's just a waste of time
What use is it to you what's on my mind
If it ain't comin' out we're not going anywhere
So why can't I just tell you that I care.”
*************
-These Things I'll Never Say
By: Avril Lavigne
 
 
Tohru just blinked.
“What?”
“Tohru, Kunimitsu is your half brother,” Kazuma restated. If Tohru's eyes got any wider, they just might've popped. And Yuki and Shigure's too. This is what Kyo had been trying to tell her!
“You mean…his mom, is my mom?”
“Exactly,” Kazuma said. Kunimitsu stepped forward.
“Your mother was very young when she had me, so she gave me up for adoption. I only saw her once. She was a very kind woman. I'm glad she was my mother.” Tohru smiled.
“Yeah. Mom was the greatest.” She coughed loudly. Kunimitsu turned to Kyo.
“Kyo, why didn't you say something?” Kyo looked at the carpet.
“There was a lot of…stuff going on,” he mumbled, “and I tried to tell her before you came bursting in here.” Tohru just smiled.
“I'm just so happy. I never thought I had any family besides Mom, and I don't remember Dad, so—” she coughed. Kunimitsu smiled back.
“I was so sad when I heard my mother had died. But then there was always a hope in the back of my mind that I'd meet you one day, Tohru. When I heard you'd moved out of your grandparent's house, I lost track of you. And with it I sort of lost hope of finding you. Who would have guessed you'd end up in a Sohma house…same as I did?” He beamed, and Tohru smiled back.
“I am so grateful to Yuki-kun, Kyo-kun, and Shigure-san for letting me live here. They really are wonderful people with good hearts.” She smiled do widely, is seemed like her face wasn't big enough. She turned to Kunimitsu, “I'm so surprised to find out I have a brother! But it's good surprise! I'm so happy!”
“What does she look like?!”
“Well, sort of like you, I guess. She has dark brow hair, and blue eyes. Not quite as electric blue as yours but, oh she's sooo cute! It just makes you want to hug her!” Kunimitsu sighed.
“Mom was right. You really are as cute as she said.” Tohru sparked up.
“Mom talked about me?”
“Oh, yeah. She said you were so cute it made someone want to hug you! You were all she really talked about.”
“You got that right!” Kyo muttered. Everyone looked at him. “What?” he said, defensive, “I met her mom when I was little and she wouldn't stop talking about the air head over here,” he jerked his thumb in Tohru's direction. She grinned.
“He's right, you know,” Kunimitsu said, “It seemed like you filled her life with happiness. I'm glad you were both happy. I'm glad I got to meet her, and now I'm so glad that I finally got a chance to meet you.”
“I'm also so grateful,” Tohru said, her eyes smiling, brimming over with happiness, “that I got to meet you, too…nii-san.”
 
* * *
The others had left Kunimitsu and Tohru to talk in her room. Kyo was straining to hear up the stair well from the dinning room where they all sat around the table. Rin was off in a corner glaring, while Kunimitsu, Kazuma, Shigure, and Yuki were having an animated discussion. Suddenly the door creaked open.
“Hello, Sensei,” Haru said casually as he strode through the door. Rin's eyes held genuine surprise. Haru glanced at all the people gathered in the room. “Having a party and didn't invite me?”
“Tohru-kun's got a half brother!” Shigure said excitedly, motioning to Kunimitsu.
“Really?” Haru said, eyebrows raised, “Kunimitsu, huh? Go figure.” His eyes scanned the room and locked with Rin's. “I wouldn't expect you to be here,” Haru said to her.
“I'm not. They dragged me along,” she jerked her head in the direction of Kazuma's back. Haru's lips twitched up into a smile. He turned to Kazuma.
“That's dangerous, Shishou, she fights back, you know.”
“I'm fully aware of that,” Kazuma said, his eyes crinkling into a smile as he held up his wrist which barred four small finger sized bruises.
“Jesus, Rin,” Kyo exclaimed. “Did you really not wanna come over that much?”
“No,” she replied, scowling, “I just didn't want to have to look at your ugly mug, but I guess I can't help it now,”
“All right, boys and girls, enough bickering,” Shigure interjected cheerily. Kyo and Rin continued to glare at each other until Haru interrupted:
“Rin, could I talk to you for a minute?” She hesitated, and then slowly rose out of her chair and followed Haru into the kitchen.
“Well, that was unexpected,” Shigure said. They heard footsteps on the stairs and turned to see Kunimitsu making his way down from the second floor. He locked eyes with Kyo.
“Kyo?” he asked.
“What?” he answered bluntly.
“She says she wants to talk to you,” Kunimitsu said. Kyo blinked, sighed, and then rose and walked up the stairs.
What would she want to talk to me about? Probably how I knew her mother or something like that…yeah…yeah that's gotta be it…
“Tohru?” Kyo said as he walked into her room, shutting the door behind him.
“Oh, Kyo-kun,” she smiled at him, wheezing as she said the words.
“You wanted to talk to me about something,” he stated.
“Yes,” Was it the fever, or was she blushing? He couldn't tell. She patted the side of the bed, and he sat down on it.
“What's up?” he asked.
“W-well, I, um…well, I've seen you acting kind of strange lately. I was wondering if you were okay…and, um…it always seems to be when you look at me, so, um, I was wondering if I did something wrong,” she stumbled over the words.
“Air head,” he sighed. “You didn't do anything wrong,”
“But you seem like you have something to say, and then when you seem about to say it, you never do.” She looked down at the covers. Okay, now she was defiantly blushing.
“No—I—” He couldn't deny it. There was something he had to say. He had to say it. He sighed. “Tohru, there is something I've wanted to tell you for a long time, now.”
“What is it, Kyo-kun?” she blinked innocently up at him with those wide eyes of hers.
“Ahh, how do I say this,” he muttered to himself.
“Kyo-kun,” she laid her hand on top of his, and looked up at him. “I want to know what's on your mind. Remember? I want us to stay together.” He sighed, gathered up all his courage, and looked her in the eye.
“Tohru…I'm in love with you.”
 
 
End of Chapter 13:
“What's On My Mind”
A/n: Yaaah! I made it to chapter 13! I wrote this entire chapter in a half an hour! Woo hoo! Well, hurray, Kyo finally confessed! ^_^ he's so awesome, right fan girls? Now you see how Tohru reacts and what happens. I'm thinking maybe I'll make it 15 chapters plus the Epilogue. It all depends on how it ends up coming out. I'll go wherever the story takes me! Well, have fun with this! I'll see you next chapter! Bye!
--------------------------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!