Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ All I Ever Needed ❯ Wishing For One More Day ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Wishing For One More Day
 
*************
“Some live and some die and no one knows why it is so. And there's nothing we can do now for the ones beneath wooden crosses except pause and mutter: “Thanks for everything.””
*************
-Ernie Pile
From his days reporting on the foot soldiers in World War II
 
 
Hatori walked down out of Tohru's bedroom, having arrived a few minutes after Kyo had called in a panic. He had sent everyone out into the hallway so he could take care of her without interruptions. He looked at Kyo, his expression heartbreaking…his eyes held it all. And in that moment, Kyo knew…
“I'm so sorry,” Hatori said, emotion actually breaking through his carefully constructed mask. “I did everything I could.”
In that second…in that moment, Kyo's mind froze over, not wanting to acknowledge…not wanting to admit what had happened. But it was there. The knowledge was there, deep in his head. She was gone…she was gone…Tohru…was gone…
You have one on your back too, Kyo-kun! An umeboshi!
I've always loved the cat!
I want us to stay together!
Kyo-kun, have you ever seen fireworks before?
You'd want to be with the person you love, right? You'd want to be near them?
“Dammit!” Kyo yelled, storming down the hallway into his bedroom, climbing out the window, onto the ladder, and up onto the roof. The place where he had fallen asleep with Tohru what seemed like years ago. Had it only been a few days? Had it only been a matter of minutes since he had actually kissed her? Had it been only a few minutes since…
God! No! He was in denial now. Any minute she would come climbing up the ladder to the roof. He could see it now.
Oh! There you are, Kyo-kun! I'm sorry I worried you! It's all right, now though—you don't need to worry about me. Dinner's about ready, would you like to come down and eat with the rest of us?”
Any second now she would walk up that ladder with that goofy smile on her face. Any minute now…any minute now…
But he knew. Deep down in his heart, Kyo knew that she wouldn't walk up that ladder again. Not now, not ever. And he would never see that goofy smile on her face again, or see her cooking dinner in the kitchen, or folding laundry. He never again would get to laugh with her, worry with her, walk with her, smile with her, blush with her, kiss her, never ever hold her…but he would always love her.
Kyo…the hot headed, quick tempered, broody Kyo…for the first time since he'd met Kazuma…started to cry. The tears poured down his face long and fast and hard…hot and wet. Tears of grief and tears of all the things he'd lost, and all the things he'd never get a chance to lose. Everything he'd ever taken for granted. Everything. Everything in the entire world that mattered to him.
And he cried as hard as a young child whose friend had moved away, and cried until he was so exhausted he transformed into a furry orange cat, and the tears still streamed down his face, wetting the fur in tracks of darkened hair. He cried until the moon replaced the sun, and the stars replaced the clouds. He cried until it felt like he had no more tears left inside of him…and he fell asleep under the darkened sky…alone… dreaming of what the next day would never—could never bring him.
He fell asleep on the roof, the stars twinkling above him, telling him that some wishes just don't come true.
I wish… he dreamed, I wish I could have one more day with her. To do whatever we wanted. To go on a real date, to cat nap in the sun…to just be together. I just wish I had one more chance to tell her I loved her. I'm just wishing for one more day…
And he slept while a last stray tear rolled down his cheek… unconsciously knowing that Tohru would not be there in the morning to wake him with a smile.
 
 
 
 
 
End of Chapter 15:
“Wishing For One More Day”
A/n: I'm sorry Emmy and Lindsay! I had to kill her off! It was too much of a temptation to pass up! T_T I'm sorry. But this chapter was originally going to have Tohru actually dying in it, but I decided to take that out, because it sounded really funny. But the Epilogue was one of my favorite parts to write! It's short, but sweet! And I personally think it is a perfect way to end the story. So enjoy it! And to all you supporters: Lindsay, Emmy, Ken-Z, Bri, my sister Tess, and anyone else, I couldn't have done it without you! Thank you sooooo much for all of your help!
Bye! ^_^
--------------------------------------
Fruits Basket is the creation of Takaya Natsuki, and is licensed in North
America by FUNimation (anime) and Tokyopop (manga). Used without permission or the intention of making a profit. Please support the original work!