Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ Judge not the Writer ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
JUDGE NOT THE WRITER
A Day in the Life of Sohma Shigure...Kami help me....
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This is the first in a string of shorts (7 to be exact...with a possible lemon thrown in for flavor). The proverbs chosen to lead off the stories may or may not have anything to do with the story, but they inspired me to write. ^^ Only fair to share, ne? Standard disclaimer follows the story.


'A book holds a house of gold' - Chinese Proverb




"Nani?!"

"Baka neko. We're going to be late."

"NANI?"

"Eh? You're right! I'll finish the dishes when I get home. I hope Shigure-san won't mind. Ah, my school bag!"

"I'll be out front, Honda-san."

"Kuso nezumi!"

WHACK! THUD! CRASH! WHACK! THUMP!

"Baka neko."

"Eh? Yuki-kun, was that necessary?"

"I'll get you...kuso nezumi! Just wait."

"Baka."

"Yuki-kun, Kyo-kun, haiyaku!"

"Hai, Honda-san."

"*snort* Hai, hai."

The definitive snap of the door tells me that I am finally alone. That and the distant sound of Kyo-kun hitting what I suppose is a rather large tree stump. I can only hope that Yuki-kun didn't damage the poor plant too much.

Every morning it's the same routine. My family -- Kyo-kun, Yuki-kun and Tohru-kun -- and I sit down to a delectable breakfast prepared by our darling Tohru-kun. Ah, the wonderful scent of warm fish and rice still lingers through the hallway. Oishii!

The meal is usually uneventful as Yuki-kun is not quite awake. The boy is simply not a morning person. Kyo-kun...well, he is simply himself, and relatively quiet in the mornings. At least he knows better than to pick a fight with Yuki-kun while he's half-asleep. I don't think even Yuki-kun realizes how strong he is when he's asleep, let alone awake.

Afterward I excuse myself to my study while the other three get ready for school. The clatter of dishes indicates that Tohru-kun is doing house chores. She is always doing house chores, it seems. Her humming sometimes carries down the hallway. It amazes me that she can be happy doing all of the things we never liked -- never dared -- to do. Nor, did I ever realize how much of a mess Yuki-kun and I made until she showed up.

Two unique sets of footsteps upstairs indicate that Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun are preparing for the day ahead. Yuki's soft footsteps are less audible, but they are still there. He is usually the first one downstairs, his bags packed the night before. Kyo's heavy footfalls foretell his rushed state as he hurries about in his room.

There is an eerie moment of silence -- a mere second -- until the boys come back downstairs. It's enough to send chills down one's spine. Ah, blessed silence.

Then the fighting begins.

It starts with an insult or two, followed by a retort in kind. I know that my younger cousins are educated, but the extent of the vocabulary they spout at one another these days is quite impressive. Some mornings it surprises even me. Thankfully they've refrained from being foul-mouthed for the time being. Darling Tohru-kun should never have to be subjected to that. And it's probably because of her that they do refrain. The thought makes me smile.

Most times she is a great help, even without realizing it.

The spouting is followed by a brief excursion. A few punches and kicks are thrown about before something breaks. If I recall correctly, this morning it was a dish and two glasses. Probably from Kyo-kun being thrown into the counter by one of Yuki-kun's punches. The damage could've been worse. It has been. I am grateful though that even those destructive days are thinning out.

If I'm lucky, I only have to replace the paper doors once a week.

The fighting probably continues all the way to school, although I'm sure that both of my cousins are more proper than to fight in front of Tohru-kun. Well, go all out anyway. She's the best referee, often making them be civil, if not get along. Some days it works. Some days it doesn't.

What would we do without Tohru-himechan, ne?

It feels like only yesterday. But it's truly been more than two years, hasn't it?

There are days when I wonder what life could've been like if Tohru-kun hadn't appeared that morning to gaze at my artistic renditions of the Chinese zodiac animals...in her school uniform with the short, short skirt...uh hem *coughs*.

Whirlwind Tohru, clumsy as she may be, with her bright smile and cheerful manner. Sometimes I find it hard to believe we were born under the same sign. Tohru-kun is unlike anyone I've ever met...and believe me, I've met my share of pretty young girls. She's a bit naïve for her age, but I think that adds to her charm.

Since the day Yuki-kun and I found her tent near the hills, she has brought about a change. A wind of change. *sigh* Ah, how poetic. It amazes even me the changes that have occurred within the Sohma household in general.

And in my household more specifically.

Imagine eating three delicious home-cooked meals a day. Much more appetizing than the meals we used to eat. I still remember Yuki-kun's cooking. The poor boy is so maladroit when it comes to domestics. The fish was always burnt, and so were the vegetables, the rice and even the soup. I'm unsure of how he managed the last one myself.

Of course, my own cooking wasn't much better. That's why we ate out on the nights I was designated to cook. I don't make much money as a writer, but it's enough for certain luxuries.

Cleaning was also a chore that we ignored. Except for our respective rooms, sweeping inside the house was rarely done...as were the kitchen, dining room and living room. Even my study was a disaster. Still is I might add. Does that make us lazy?

Iie. It simply makes us men. I think.

But now, the kitchen is always clean. A far cry from the "Sea of Corruption" it used to be. Dishes are washed after each meal. The counters are wiped down. The floor is swept. The appliances look as good as new. Every room is almost immaculate in appearance, save for my study.

Most importantly, the atmosphere is much cheerier.

Even though they fight a lot, it does my heart good to see that Kyo-kun and Yuki-kun getting along. The two are so different, yet so alike. Yuki-kun wants out of the Sohma family while Kyo-kun wants so badly to belong. I have to wonder what is so great about either side, but they've matured a lot in the past year. Without a doubt, the credit for the change goes to Tohru-kun.

I merely rue the day she chooses between them.

It will probably come sooner than I'd like, but the choice will be made some day. They'll graduate high school in six months. They'll be adults, capable of making they're own decisions in life. Not that they haven't already. Indications are pretty good of who Tohru-kun would choose, but I have been wrong in the past. No matter what, I will stand behind Tohru-kun, as I know the rest of the Juunishi will.

Well, except for him.

Akito would have to know, of course. His decisions are always to be dreaded. Tohru-kun is a part of this family, whether or not he wishes to accept it. He's unpredictable. Even when I think I have him figured out, he does something unexpected. Allowing Tohru-kun to stay with us came as a shock, even to me. Oh I did my fair share of whining and pouting, but that doesn't mean it will bode well in the future.

Just what do you have planned, Akito?

The chimes in the hall indicate that it's ten in the morning. I've been seated in my study for nearly two hours. Papers upon papers pile high around me, with more waiting to be added.

Yet my computer screen is blank.

My hands are poised over the keyboard, but not a single thought is flowing. Correction, there are too many thoughts floating about in my head. My book started out as a simple idea and has turned into a complex machine. I can't stop now, even if I am running a bit behind schedule. The publisher has already threatened to cancel the book due to my lateness, and I cannot afford that. Mi-chan will not be pleased either, but it will give her an excuse to come over and nag me. She seems to enjoy that immensely.

Or is it the other way around?

I can feel a sly grin form itself on my lips and my fingers begin typing.

The chaos in my head suddenly forms a single stream. And right now, it's flowing beautifully onto the computer screen. A stormy night grows colder. There's a chill in the air and two lovers in the throws of indecision. My thoughts return briefly to Tohru-kun and the dilemma I know she will one-day face. I smile as my fingers continue to impress my ideas onto the screen. My smile grows wider as I turn my thoughts even further; knowing that what's appearing on the screen now would make Mi-chan blush.

And she's so cute when she blushes.

Yuki-kun tells me I should be embarrassed to write such garbage. But the ideas flow for a reason. I've always relied on experience and family to help with my writing. So far, it's done a world of good. Otherwise I would not be so popular. Even Hanajima-san's badgering has gotten that silly little manga of mine off the ground. Through that quiet and scary exterior, she's much smarter than one would guess. And possibly more perverted, especially if she enjoys my writing.

ACK! I've strayed off of the initial train of thought. And I'm rambling. Typical, Mi-chan would say. After a few deep breaths, I manage to collect myself and my fingers start typing again.

Minutes turn to hours and hours fly by so quickly. Before I know it, the clock chimes two in the afternoon. Tohru-kun and the others will be home from school in an hour or two. My stomach rumbles in argument. I've managed to skip lunch...again. But it will have to wait a little while longer to receive any nourishment.

My thoughts have never flowed as quickly or as evenly as they have today. A few more key punches and my next chapter is complete. One down and two more to go. My eyes do a quick scan to check for blatant errors. When they find none, I print the manuscript.

A phone call is all that is left. I am surprised that my editor has not called, seeing as I'm three days late. Perhaps she's used to my tardiness by now. She's been working with me for a long time after all, but it's likely she will be waiting for my call.

As I pick up the phone on my desk, I draw a quick image of her in my mind and the thoughts that have been imprinted on paper quickly play out in my mind. I would enjoy watching her read this chapter, if only to see how red Mi-chan's face would get.

Maybe I am as perverted as my cousin believes.

Or maybe I'm just me, ne?



~FIN~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^