Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ Into a Corner ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
INTO A CORNER
Sometimes decisions are made for us....ne, Tohru-kun?
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This story takes place in the same day as "Judge Not the Writer." While you do not have to read the previous story to understand what's going on here, I still highly recommend it. ^^ And the proverb...just seemed appropriate at the time I thought this up. Standard disclaimer follows the story.


'It is the beautiful bird which gets caged' - Chinese Proverb




Night comes quickly in winter. It's unseasonably warm and the full moon has caught my attention. The sky is beautiful, nearly black with shades of blue and purple. Dark red still peaks above the horizon where the sun has set. It's an amazing contrast in colors; one that only a picture can capture perfectly.

The clouds are low in the sky, slightly gray, hanging by invisible threads as they pass over head. A storm is coming. Perhaps not a strong one, but enough to shower everything in its path with refreshing water. The breeze is lovely; caressing every excited nerve ending in my body as it blew past. I sigh as I try to relax. Instead, a chill rushes through my body and I can't suppress a shiver.

YOU HAVE TO DECIDE!

It started on the way home from school. Yuki-kun volunteered for clean-up duty since one of our classmates was absent. I had waited for a while, but he told me to go on home. I wanted to argue, but I can never argue with his smile. I had to smile in return and did as he asked.

Kyo-kun was also waiting. One would've thought he was napping the way he leaned against the wall with his head bowed and his eyes closed. I knew though that he wasn't sleeping at all. He was merely static, his senses on high alert. That's what martial artists did according to the library book I read.

I thought he had been waiting for Yuki-kun, wanting to challenge him to another fight. They seemed to fight more and more these days. I'd spent countless hours trying to figure it out, yet could come up with no possible answer.

"Yo."

My feet stopped and every nerve in my body jumped. But the surprise was short lived. I turned to him with a bright smile.

He hadn't moved an inch. I wasn't even sure his mouth had moved. His orange hair covered his eyes in such a way that I couldn't make heads or tails of his expression. Was he even looking at me?

"Are you ready to go home?" I asked.

He looked up at me then with wide, brown eyes. Surprise was written all over his face. But there was also a question.

"You're not waiting for the mouse?"

I shook my head. "He said to head home. He's still working on chores, but he'll be done shortly."

I searched his face while waiting for a reply. His expression was unreadable, but he seemed...I don't know...a bit relieved. Perhaps he was tired of fighting with Yuki-kun. They'd had two fights just that morning and one just before class started.

Without a reply, Kyo-kun pushed himself away from the wall. The movement was so quick and fluid that it surprised me. I stepped back, allowing him to move past me. He shoved his hands in his pockets and started walking down the hall. He paused after a few steps and looked over his shoulder at me. With a small smile he nodded down the hallway.

"Let's go," he said.

I couldn't help but smile. "Hai," I replied quickly, hurrying my steps to catch up.

The walk was uneventful and quiet. The air was warm and pleasant, a contrast to what it had been earlier in the week. Still, I hugged my books closer to my chest as we walked. Something was unsettling.

Kyo-kun was walking unusually close to me. It was something I shouldn't have noticed, or even minded. It had happened plenty of times before. So why was it bothering me now?

Cautiously I looked up at his face. His expression seemed calm, as did his composure. But his thoughts were somewhere else. I could see it in his eyes. Questions wondered through my head and I opened my mouth to speak, but I stopped myself just as Kyo-kun stopped walking. He turned to look at me with those warm, red-brown eyes and I was at a loss.

"Tohru, I..." He straightened up and looked at me seriously. His voice was very matter-of-fact. "I have something to say to you."

My body suddenly became very stiff, eyes wide in surprise. Did it know something I didn't? All I could do to respond was nod.

Kyo-kun looked away for a moment. The air was suddenly charged. I wanted to know what he was looking at, but I didn't dare to move. It took him so long to continue that, if I looked away too, I might've started to walk away.

Something was definitely stirring.

Finally he looked at me again. There was something new in his eyes. Uncertainty? Fear? It was a feeling so new that I couldn't quite place it.

"Tohru...."

"Hai," I said softly.

He swallowed quite hard before continuing. "I...I really don't know how to say this but...well...I...I really like you." He looked at the ground and quickly amended, "As more than a friend."

There was a moment of silence before he looked up at me again. His eyes were wide and hopeful, there was nothing but compassion and caring written on his face. With all the feeling he could muster he shouted, "I love you!"

BLINK.

I was caught totally off guard. His confession was so unexpected. Of course I never doubted that he liked me...well okay, there were a few times...but, as more than a friend? I wasn't sure which emotion hit me first.

Surprise.

Happiness.

Or fear.

I was uncertain of how to answer, let alone what to say. "Kyo-kun...?"

That uncertainty must've showed in my voice, because Kyo-kun suddenly looked discouraged. The hope that lit his eyes faded. His face fell into another unreadable expression, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't good. Pallor colored his once bright features. At the same time, my heart sunk, too.

What kind of answer did he want from me? A vow of friendship? A confession of love? I was certain I could give him the first.

The latter was not quite so easy.

Finally, he asked, "Which one of us?"

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I replied, "Na-ni?"

Kyo-kun sighed. Frustration slowly crept to his face. His body grew tense and his hands balled into fists in his pant pockets. His eyes darkened as he stared at me once again.

"Which one of us will it be? The mouse or me?"

BLINK.

"You have to choose!"

BLINK.

"Which one, Tohru?"

BLINK.

"The mouse or me?!"

Kyo-kun was slowly starting to fume. Frustration was turning to anger so quickly that I couldn't have reacted fast enough to counter it. My eyes started to water over and I couldn't stop the tears from falling.

Why was he putting me on the spot like this?

BLINK.

I realized suddenly that this wasn't a surprise. I'd spent a lot of time between Kyo-kun and Yuki-kun in the past year, usually refereeing their fights. We'd also gone on picnics, outings in the park, shopping and even to the movies. I enjoyed the times we shared, but most of that time was spent with BOTH of them, not one or the other.

Well, usually not with Kyo-kun.

BLINK.

Ever since I saw him...saw his true form...I haven't been alone with him. I was scared...scared of what he was, what he could do...scared for him and for myself. I'd hated feeling that way, especially about Kyo-kun, whom I knew could be just as sweet and gentle as Yuki-kun.

Perhaps it was my reaction to the situation that ensured we were never alone. I knew, somewhere in my heart, that he wouldn't hurt me. Never! Yet along the way, our times together were shorter and fewer.

He began disappearing for hours, sometimes days, at a time. Every time I went to look for him, the roof would be empty and not a sound could be heard from the grounds around the house. Well, he is a trained martial artist. I suppose if he didn't want to be found....

I miss him when he's not around, but in the end, I am relieved. It makes me sick to feel that way. He's done nothing wrong! So then why...?

Where was Yuki-kun when I needed him?

My heart began to flutter, the pounding echoing in my ears. My head began to spin and the world with it. Mentally I began to call out for Yuki-kun, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. I open my mouth as if to speak his name aloud. My lips are forming syllables but no sound comes out.

Which would it be?

"Tohru-kun?"

BLINK.

With another sigh Kyo-kun stepped back, putting some distance between us. His composure was still tense but more relaxed, like he'd gotten rid of some heavy weight. His fists were still in his pockets and his head was bowed, his hair once again covering his eyes. Yet through the curtain of orange, I could see a small frown on his lips.

Kyo-kun knew my answer. Even before it could form itself in my mind, he knew.

Then I knew. And my heart sunk deeper.

I took a tentative step forward, reaching for his arm. Although I knew I couldn't hug him, I wanted to comfort him. But was that right? Could I do that after what he'd just said. I was within inches but he moved further away.

My heart never ached so much.

"Kyo-kun?"

He turned so fast that I was caught off guard and nearly fell. "Let's go home. The mouse shouldn't be far behind."

He continued down the street towards Shigure's house. He didn't stop or turn back to call for me. He simply walked with his eyes looking down and his hands in his pockets.

Seeing him depressed and sad disturbs me. I suppose it's because I don't like seeing my friends unhappy. Uo-chan once told me that I can't please everyone, but I still try. You don't know until you try, ne?

Which brings me to another dilemma. If it is Yuki-kun I truly care for...if I love him...what do I say to him? How do I tell him?

Does he even feel the same for me?

"Tadaima."

I'm startled from my thoughts as Yuki-kun arrives home. I can feel my face grow warm with questions and feelings still new to me. He was later than expected...and I still have to make dinner.

Dinner! I almost forgot!

I scramble from the roof only to find Yuki-kun waiting for me. I'm surprised again for what feels like the umpteenth hundred time today. But again, the surprise is short lived.

He seems a bit confused and asks, "Daijoubu desu ka, Honda-san?"

"Hai," I reply. "I...just had a decision I needed to make."

My answer receives a raised eyebrow in return and it brings a smile to my face. Now that I think about it, he's cute when he's confused.

A real prince.

"Let's go inside," I tell him, carefully stepping past him to walk back into the house. "Dinner's a bit late this evening."

Yuki-kun smiles again and it makes him even cuter. Is that even possible? I feel like I'm glowing already. Can he tell?

"I don't mind. Let's go inside."

The air suddenly feels warmer, happier. I still need to talk to Yuki-kun. Figure out if it is love I feel for him and if he feels the same for me. But for the time being, I'm content to know that he is there for me.

And probably always will be.



~FIN~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^