Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ A Light in the House ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A LIGHT IN THE HOUSE
A tale of male angst, told from Sohma Kyo's POV.
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
If you're looking at a timeframe, this story takes place in the same day as "Judge Not the Writer" and about two hours after "Into a Corner." You may want to read "Into a Corner" to better understand what is happening here, however, it is not absolutely necessary. ^^ Oh, and the proverb...well I liked it that's all. It's so true for Kyo, poor boy. Standard disclaimer follows the story.


'Blessings do not come in pairs; misfortunes never come singly' - Chinese Proverb




The smell of stir fry carries on the breeze towards the small forest surrounding Sohma Shigure's home. A whiff of beef tells me that tonight's dinner will be teriyaki. No doubt the vegetables were from HIS garden too.

Still, it makes my mouth water and my stomach growls its agreement.

As much as I hate to admit, it smells delicious. Tohru's cooking is the best after all. I haven't eaten since lunch...even then I hadn't eaten much. I fought with HIM again...and lost, kuso nezumi...and I was too angry to return to class to finish my lunch.

My stomach growls again and I frown. My body is hungry, but I find that I have no appetite.

And I'm crying. Why the hell am I crying?!

Does it really hurt that much?

I suppose I'm still in shock.

The walk home from school went nothing like I had wanted. It was so perfect too. The mouse stayed after school and I had Tohru all to myself for a change. I'd needed to talk to her for a while now. Since she'd seen me in my true form, in fact. But I'd never gotten the chance. HE was always around, hovering in the background and being the nuisance he is.

Kuso nezumi!

THWAP! CRACK!

"Itai!"

The scenery on the way home usually calms my mind. I wouldn't admit it to anyone, especially HIM, but I do enjoy walking to and from school. I could do without all the fighting...and again, I would never admit it...but I suppose it's what keeps me going.

The long graceful sweep of creek water and the flowers growing along the edge should've been enough to create a mood. *snicker* Hell, a year ago I wouldn't have cared what a mood was! The leaves on the trees were changing color now. The breeze was cool, but not too much so. I thought the setting was perfect.

So what did I do wrong?

THWAP! CRACK!

Probably a thousand things. Tohru was nervous to start. I should've picked up on it but I was too into my own thoughts to notice. She wasn't used to being alone with me. Not since that day. Oh, she's been pleasant enough towards me. Just like nothing had ever happened. I'm grateful, but I want something more.

So then, was my plan of attack that badly planned?

It wasn't like I was expecting her to confess her love for me or anything like that. Well, all right, maybe I was. I know she cares. I just KNOW! I only had to get her to admit it to me.

Was I being too macho? Too forward?

THWAP! CRACK!

I've got to stop doing that.

That's simply my nature. I have the patience for martial arts, but not for other people. I thought that had changed since I started to go to school with Tohru and the mouse. Or just by living under Shigure's roof.

I guess not.

I actually enjoy going to school. Not sure why, I just do. I'm not for people, or studying either, but the environment is nice. I can't stay cooped up in Shigure's house for very long. I think that's why I spend so much time on the roof.

The roof.

I saw Tohru head up there, probably looking for me. Did she want to apologize? Apologize for what? My own stupidity?

Or maybe make her confession?

I know inside that that's false. She didn't say anything to me on the way home because there was nothing to say. She loves the mouse. It's so obvious, even if she doesn't see it.

That day changed everything.

I hate it.

THWAP! CRACK!

I hate that kuso nezumi.

THWAP! CRACK!

I hate myself.

THWAP! CRACK!

It's all for the best.

That last thought startles me. It's then that I realize that I've walked half way around the neighborhood through the woods...and I've run out of trees to punch. The Honke is visible from my current position but still miles away. There's a path cut into the forest separating Shigure's house from the main sections of the estate. I'd never noticed it before. *snort* I hadn't even realized I'd been walking.

The house before me isn't Shigure's. It's bigger in size, with a single light glowing in the kitchen. I can see a shadow there, just above the sink. A groan works it way through my chest and out of my throat. I should be surprised, but something in me says that this is where I am meant to be.

Of all places, why this one?

I know the answer to that as soon as I step up onto the porch and knock on the door. Suddenly I feel self-conscious, wiping at my eyes with the back of my hands. The clatter in the kitchen stops and a voice calls to me from inside.

"Hai, hai! Chotto matte!"

That voice used to scare me as a child. It would make me want to run and hide just to keep from getting battered and bruised. I STILL get battered and bruised, but it's somehow tolerable now. I know it's not for real. I know she cares.

She loves me. She told me so.

But she's not going to see me cry!

The knots in my stomach pull tighter and I suddenly feel sick. Or am I just hungry? Either way I can feel my body tense up. The tears I'd shed stop falling just before the door is opened.

Kagura is surprised to see me. I'm sure I look a sight and I could care less. I never come to see her, not without Tohru and the mouse. She looks carefully behind me, then to my right and left before settling her gaze back onto me. I manage a small smile and a curt, "Hello."

"Kyo-kun?" The question is obvious.

What am I doing here?

Damn good question if you ask me!

Where was a tree when I needed one?

"Can we...talk?" The words escape my mouth before I have a chance to process them in my mind. I look away quickly, angry with myself.

She hesitates for only a second. Why hasn't she jumped me by now? That's not like her, but then I don't come to visit on my own much either. Is she really THAT surprised? I hear her step back, pulling the door wider.

"S-sure. Come in."

"Arigato." I keep my eyes to the ground as I enter her house. Once I'm in the main room I dare a glance around. By the looks of things, she's alone. Good, I didn't want to have to deal with her folks.

"Is everything all right?"

I shake my head but make no other effort to talk. I don't think I'm ready...just yet.

Kagura knows me better than I think. She doesn't bother to prod, although the look in her eyes says 'I know you're hiding something, and you're going to tell me if it kills you'. And it probably will too. I'm waiting for a beating and I'm surprised when none comes. I blink at her expectantly.

"Have you eaten dinner?" she asks.

My stomach answers that question for me. I frown in embarrassment. Just couldn't keep quiet could you, damn stomach.

Kagura only smiles. "I have some leftovers. I hope beef teriyaki is all right."

Teriyaki, how ironic?

"It's fine," I say.

As she disappears into the kitchen, I throw myself into a chair. My body slowly begins to relax and I close my eyes against a new sudden rush of emotion. I can hear her rummaging through the kitchen, calling short questions to me.

"How hot would you like it?"

"Do you want something to drink?"

"What kind of sauce do you like?"

We yell back and forth to each other for a short while and I start to feel more and more like myself. The muscles in my back and neck are unwinding an I have a sudden urge to curl up and take a nap. I'm so relaxed that I don't even hear the microwave beep.

"Dinner's ready."

Kagura happily places a tray of food in front of me. It smells as good as it looks, which isn't bad considering who cooked it. I'm still leery though as I pick up the chopsticks. I can feel her eyes on me, waiting as patiently as possible for me to speak.

'I'm not ready for this.' I keep repeating that in my mind as I start to eat.

It's going to be a long night.



~FIN~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^