Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ Affirmations ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AFFIRMATIONS
Yuki-kun finally gets what he deserves! I'm such a hopeless romantic....
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess



AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Okay, this story takes place in the same day as "Judge Not the Writer" and "Into a Corner," and at relatively the same time as "A Light in the House." You may want to read "Into a Corner" to better understand what is happening. It is not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended. ^^



'Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness' - Chinese Proverb







There it is again.

That look.

What did it mean?

Since I took my place at the dinner table, I have caught Honda-san glancing in my direction. It's a casual glance, not intrusive or questioning. Actually it seems rather, uncertain. She looks away and blushes lightly when caught and a small smile passes my lips.

Does she know how cute she is when she does that?

Dinner was eaten in relative silence this evening. Shigure was too busy stuffing himself and Kyo had decided not to join us. Having an empty seat next to me made me wonder why he had done so. Not that I cared. What he did was his own business. But Honda-san looked very disappointed. And it was unusual for him to miss a meal.

I'll find him and beat it out of him later if I have to.

"Seconds, Yuki-kun?"

I shake my head. The chicken teriyaki was delicious. I'm proud that my vegetables can be used in such a manner. In the past few weeks since the school council started meeting, I've had less and less time to attend to my base. Honda-san has taken great care of it in my absence.

"No, thank you, Honda-san."

"I would love seconds," Shigure announces with a delighted smile. Food doesn't go to waste with my cousin around.

Tohru smiles and fills his bowl with more rice.

"Excuse me. I'm going to finish my homework."

It's partially true. After-school meetings and doing school chores doesn't give me a chance to touch my homework before coming home. Quickly my mind runs through a list of things to do. My research paper can wait another night. There's a math test tomorrow.

And I need an excuse to get away from Honda-san's strange glances.

I walk slowly up to my room. While I know I need to concentrate on schoolwork, it's difficult. I can't get those looks out of my head. A rush of heat runs through me from head to toe. I can feel a blush forming on my cheeks and my footsteps quicken up the stairs. Something in me is pleased that she's looking at me. My ego perhaps?

But other questions remained.

Why was Honda-san looking at me so? Was there soy sauce on my face? Did I do something wrong?

Immediately I'm filled with panic. I know I'm hard on myself, but I don't want to hurt Tohru. If I've done something wrong, I want to know about it. Then another image fills my mind as I remember the one person missing from the dinner table.

Baka neko!

If he's done anything to hurt her...!

"Ano, Yuki-kun?"

I try not to jump as I realize that Tohru is standing in my doorway. She must've followed me up the stairs, although I didn't hear a sound. Was I too caught up in my thoughts? I didn't even realize I was sitting on futon. Strange.

"Hai?"

She's fidgeting, my mind notes. This isn't good. Something must've happened on the way home. I curse myself silently and totally switch moods. Apparently I'm good at that - being able to switch between spiteful and protective in less than a second. My outward appearance rarely shows it though.

"Yuki-kun, there's something...?"

"What did he do?" In one swift movement I'm standing and the question comes out before I get a chance to think about it.

Honda-san blinks at me, surprised. "He?"

Ah, perhaps my intuition is wrong. But it's rarely wrong.

"Kyo," I say, trying to think of another way to continue the conversation. Taking a deep breath I manage to calm myself enough to ask, "Did something happen on the way home from school today, Honda-san?"

"Eh? How did you know?"

So I am right. But her voice is so quiet and in awe that I begin to doubt myself again. Perhaps it wasn't as bad as my imagination led me to believe.

And believe it or not, I have QUITE the imagination.

"Yuki-kun, Kyo and I had a talk and...well...some things were said and," she pauses, glancing down at the floor at her feet. "Well, I guess some decisions were made too."

Decisions? She had mentioned that when I found her on the roof earlier. I allowed myself to dismiss it, thinking it was just some idle prattle on her part. But now my mind is racing!

What kind of --? I stop myself when I realize what must be going on.

Between Kyo and I, our fighting had increased in the past month or so, hitting an all time high last week. I had confronted him about Tohru, confessing my feelings for her. And to my surprise he replied in kind. It grew more violent from there.

The cat made his move.

Damn him!

It's my fault for leaving him alone with her. I hadn't done so in what felt like so long. Ever since that day.... They've had the appearance of being alone. I try to keep my distance, but it's difficult. How could I ever leave her alone with him? I can't help but be protective of Tohru. My mind wants it.

And so does my heart.

Which is beginning to shatter into a hundred pieces.

"Yuki-kun?"

I've obviously become distant, causing her some concern. She steps closer to me, careful to keep a safe distance while trying to get a better look at my face. My eyes meet hers almost eagerly.

Kami, does she know how truly beautiful she is?

I try to reassure her, smile as best as I can, but my thoughts are assaulting me. The barrage is almost too much to handle and I can feel a headache coming on. I hate headaches.

"Gomen, Honda-san." I look her in the eye, hoping I don't flinch when she answers my question. "What kind of decisions?"

"Yuki-kun, I think I've realized...I mean, Kyo-kun made me realize that...." She seems bit frustrated, unsure of how to put her thoughts into words. I can almost see the wheels turning in her pretty little head. "Well, Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun are very important people to me. And there are certain...umm feelings...that go along with it."

Her face suddenly becomes red. Is she blushing? My heart leaps at the thought. Perhaps I am wrong after all.

And then she confirms it.

"I realized earlier today that while Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun mean a lot to me...I...I think I may have...fallen in love...with Yuki-kun...."

Her eyes glance down at the floor and I can't help but be surprised, relieved...and elated. All the pieces of my heart that had shattered were suddenly collecting again. They formed into one and I'm certain my facial expression shows my joy and love all at once. I can feel myself glowing, beaming with an exuberance I didn't know was within me until this moment.

But the glow dies instantly as another set of thoughts enter my mind.

Akito.

What would he say?

While I'm still in the throws of joy, Honda-san mistakes my silence for rejection. She frowns and turns her head away from me.

"Honda-san...Tohru...?"

She finally looks up at me. My face is still beaming, even if the weird smile I had on my lips is gone. My eyes are wide, fearing she will leave. How could she think of leaving? I hadn't even confessed yet!

And then the words pour from somewhere in my heart.

"Tohru, you mean the world to me, too. I don't know why I've never been able to say it before, but I love you. It's true. I do. My life means nothing without you in it. I can't go back to they way it was...before...." I stop myself when I realize that I'm crying.

Tohru's fingers brush lightly against my cheek, wiping the tears away. She smiles at me, a different smile than I've seen before. Oh her face still lights up the same way, and her eyes...they're filled with tears as well. Was she going to cry? Did she really think I would reject her? Her! My light!

No! Never!

I place my left hand over hers and press my cheek into her palm. It is comforting as those dark thoughts begin to run through my mind again. Would they ever stop?

No. Never.

Not until HE was confronted.

"Yuki...kun," Tohru stutters through my name, apparently choked up with emotion. "I'm happy you feel the same but...something still troubles you. What is it?"

"Akito." The name escapes from my lips in a harsh whisper. I can feel my face fall and a frown start to form on my lips. I take her one hand in both of mine and hold it over my heart.

"We'll face him together," she states simply.

But is it really that simple?

"Of course we will," I replied, unable to deny her words and voice the doubts nagging at the back of my mind. I was content to hold Tohru's hand and gaze into her loving eyes. That made everything all right for the time being.

It was something that could be discussed later.

"Ah!" Tohru blinked suddenly, her facial expression one of worry.

"Nani?" I ask, concerned.

"I haven't washed the supper dishes yet and it's almost 8 o'clock!"

The first real laughter rumbles from my throat for the first time in a long while. She really is adorable. I just wish I could get her to calm down once in a while.

"I'm sure they're fine, Tohru. Why don't we wash them together?"

She blinks at me and shakes her head. "No, no. I can handle it. Besides, you have homework to do and --"

I'm not sure what's coming over me. The urge is so sudden I can't control it. Or perhaps I just want her to be quiet and less worrisome for a moment. I use her hand to pull her closer and proceed to quiet her with a light kiss. The moment only lasted seconds, but I can still taste dinner and a hint of strawberry on her lips.

My strawberries.

My Tohru.

"The homework can wait," I tell her as we part. I squeeze her hand gently and then let it go for the time being. Her hand slowly drops back to her side, her eyes still wide from surprise. It brings another glowing smile to my face.

"H-hai," she replies, a bit uncertain again. But then a bright smile appears on her face. She nods and replies with more certainty, "Hai. Let's go."

She turns and nearly skips from the room and I can't suppress another chuckle. As I move to follow her out, I realize that my life has instantly changed forever...again.

But there is still Akito.

Kyo knew now, but he wouldn't tell Akito. He wasn't welcome at the Honke anyway. Shigure would find out soon enough, probably sooner than I am comfortable with, and Akito would learn in time.

Akito could wait one more day, or possibly more. There's no rush to reveal our newfound relationship. Besides, I will take whatever punishment he throws at me. I'm not afraid of him...anymore.

"Yuki! Haiyaku!"

I let all thoughts of Akito fade from my mind as I step into the hallway. Tohru is already at the bottom of the staircase, eagerly waiting for me to join her. My heart leaps at the sight of her and another large smile passes my lips.

I have Tohru and my life feels complete.



~FIN~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^