Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ Having and Holding ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
HAVING AND HOLDING
Kagura deals with a depressed Kyo...Run! Get out of the way!
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Okay, this story takes place in the same day as "Judge Not the Writer" and "Into a Corner," and about half an hour after "A Light in the House." *whew* Confused yet? You may want to read "Into a Corner" and "A Light in the House" to better understand what is happening. It is not absolutely necessary, but highly recommended. ^^ The proverb is food for thought (mostly for Kyo-kun). Standard disclaimer follows the story.


'Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses' - Chinese Proverb




Okay this is truly weird.

My evening started out like any other. School had been uneventful and most of my homework was already completed. My parents were out of town and I was on my own for dinner. I'd considered going out, but Tohru-kun had given me a recipe for beef teriyaki. Thought I'd give it a try.

Normal and not very exciting, my life.

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

I'm not used to hearing someone knock on the door. So when I did, I nearly dropped one of my mother's good plates. Thankfully I caught it. I finished drying it off with a towel and placed it on the counter safely. With what little voice I had left I called out:

"Hai, hai! Chotto matte!"

Then HE showed up.

Kyo-kun's sitting in my living. My Kyo! In MY living room! It's enough to make my head spin. He never...and I mean NEVER...comes to see me. Well, that is unless Yun-chan and Tohru-chan are with him.

He looks like something the sewer coughed up: his clothes are wrinkled and dirty, his hair totally disheveled and his face and shoulders scratched in places. He'd walked through the forest no doubt. But wasn't that path growing over? Baka! Why didn't he use the road?

Then I remember him standing on the front porch.

Can we talk?

His eyes were distant, thoughtful and sad. There was a hint of relief when I opened the door, but the other three were still present. Looking at him now I can still tell that he's obsessed with his own thoughts and not ready to share them.

I watched him eat, which probably annoyed him but I didn't care. I was more concerned for his health than his attitude. He'd eaten through my leftovers in no time flat. It amazed me that he ate so fast. Did he even eat lunch?

We'd been sitting for nearly twenty minutes in dead silence. He'd finished eating about five minutes ago. I was trying to be patient, knowing that he wanted to talk. But my patience was wearing thin. It always did around him and I'll never understand why.

Maybe because I love him too much.

Ugh! This silence will be the death of me! Maybe if I...no, hitting him won't do any good. But the urge is so strong....

"Ne, Kyo-kun? I have some leftover pie if you'd like some?"

His eyes stare blankly in my direction but not quite at me. He simply nods in response. I do not push him, although I'm dying to know what he wants to discuss. I stand to collect the dirty dishes and walk them back into the kitchen.

I take my time doing the dishes. It will be awhile before Kyo-kun will be ready to talk. I know him so well I scare myself sometimes. I let my hands soak in the warm water, hoping it will help me relax. A hot bubble bath would be great right now.

The tension in that room is near insufferable!

It's mostly on my part I know. Patience has never been one of my virtues and Kyo-kun knows this. If he wants to talk, why is he being so quiet? Of course, normally I would've beaten it out of him by now. I'm trying to be good, really I am, but the urge to whack him is getting stronger. I'm not sure if he's keeping quiet to frustrate me or if he's just that frustrated with himself. More likely the latter.

Or maybe both.

With the dishes done, I pull a clean plate from the cupboard and turn away from the counter. I promised Kyo-kun an piece of pie. I had nearly forgotten!

But it appears he's come to remind me.

He's leaning against the doorframe of the kitchen doorway. His arms are folded over his chest and his head is bowed. Slowly -- oh so slowly -- he lifts his gaze to look at me. He's going to yell at me, I just know it and I prepare myself for a tongue lashing.

"Can we talk now?"

BLINK.

His voice is so...normal...and so unlike anything I've heard before that my eyes widen in shock. He appears to be much calmer than when he came inside. His eyes are still red from crying...yes, my Kyo-kun was crying!...but there isn't a trace of tears left to be shed.

This is not my Kyo.

My Kyo would've yelled at me for not bringing his food. He would've scolded me for my impatience. He would've ranted and raved until he got his point across and the bad stuff out of his system.

"Kyo-kun, what's happened to you?" I didn't mean to speak out loud, but my tongue would not hold back my thoughts.

He sighs, turning himself in the doorway so that his back is against the doorframe. His eyes are focused on something far away although his head is bowed to look at the floor.

"Something happened today...on the way home from school."

"Did you and Yun-chan get into another fight?"

That was a stupid question. The two were always fighting, more often as of late or so Tohru told me. I waited, but Kyo-kun didn't scold or correct me. He just continued his explanation as if I hadn't spoken.

"I...I finally got up the nerve to tell Tohru...."

"Tell her what?" Again a stupid question, but I couldn't help it. I knew. Something in me just knew and I've dreaded this moment for over a year. I didn't want to hear it from his lips. No, not from him, but....

For the love of...just say it already!

"That I love her you idiot," he yelled.

Oh. My reaction is not quite what I expect it to be. I had prepared myself for this moment a hundred times. I swore I would not get depressed. I would not cry.

And all that effort was tossed out the window in less than a second.

He loves Tohru-kun. This I've known for some time now. Still it doesn't put a dent in my feelings for him. I can't help but feel depressed. My shoulders slump and I know my voice is unsteady when I ask:

"What did she say?"

Kyo pushes himself away from the doorframe and turns away, heading back into the living room. Either he's hit another part he doesn't want to talk about or I've done something to upset him. More likely the latter. But he is the one that wanted to talk, right?

The pie is forgotten and I rush in behind him.

"What did she say, Kyo-kun?"

He throws himself into the chair again and curls into the cushions, pulling his legs under him. He suddenly looks so pitiful that I don't know whether to comfort or slap him. I'm not used to him acting like this. An angry Kyo is easy to deal with. But a depressed Kyo...?

What am I supposed to do?

I let my instincts take over and kneel beside the chair. I hold back the urge to touch him. It's difficult -- because I want to badly to slap him out of his mood -- but I don't want scare him away. I'm so afraid of scaring him away. Taking a deep breath, I look him in the eye and ask one more time:

"What did she say?"

"Nothing."

BLINK. He's joking. He has to be. "She said nothing, or you just don't want to talk about it?"

Kyo sighs heavily, closing his eyes. "She didn't say a damn thing. Not one word."

"Really?" Ack! That wasn't supposed to sound hopeful. I can only hope he doesn't notice.

And he doesn't. He merely nods.

"But isn't that a good thing?"

Oops, bad question. Apparently it isn't as good as I'd thought. He glares at me angrily, but it only lasts for a moment. Then he frowns.

"I told her to choose."

OH! Now it's finally making sense! I can't contain my surprise and the excitement comes out once again. Since I know it's there, I try to contain it from showing in my voice.

"You mean she picked Yun-chan?"

Kyo's face contorted into an angry mask. "Well if she'd picked me, do you think I'd be here?!"

The words sting and the excitement in my heart fizzles. That really stung, Kyo-kun. How mean! My heart begins to cry. I manage to keep a straight face yet I can feel the tears building in my own eyes. Is it because of what he said?

I've never seen him so depressed or sad.

Oh, Tohru-chan, did you really have to choose?

"Ky-o-ku-n," I stutter before he stands up, pushing me out of the way.

"I'm sorry," he sputters quickly and angrily. "I-I shouldn't have said it like...like that. I'm sorry."

He stops in the middle of the room. For a moment I think he's going to take off, run out the door and back to Shigure's. I watch him carefully, with his back to me, and wonder what he's thinking. Then suddenly I hear a sob, see his shoulders shaking and I realize that he's crying.

My Kyo doesn't cry.

Wordlessly I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his waist. Is it me or has he grown taller since I last saw him? I am glad when he doesn't argue or try to move away. Instead, he grasps one of my hands with one of his own. His tears fall on our joined hands, sometimes cool and sometimes burning.

I nuzzle a cheek against his back, tears falling from my eyes as well. I'm torn between joy and sadness. I'm happy because now I can pursue him without thinking of Tohru-chan as a threat. Not that she ever was, of course.... Yet, I can't help but be sad for Kyo-kun. It always seems that my happiness is his sadness and vice versa.

Well, I suppose we'll have to change that.

"It's for the best," I say. The words come out so easily that I'm not sure I'd thought them up.

Kyo turns in my embrace, looking down at me in awe. What did he expect me to say? Tohru-chan wasn't good enough for you anyway? I can only dream being of like her someday. Telling him that he should be with me wouldn't help either. I wish you'd tell me what to say, Kyo-kun, because I'm at a loss for words again.

Slowly I reach up with one hand to wipe away a falling teardrop from his cheek. He closes his eyes, lifting one of his hands to mine. I stiffen, afraid he'll stop me, but he only presses my hand closer to his cheek. I hear him sigh and the tears begin to slow down.

I love you, Kyo.

I only want you to be happy.

Somehow, we manage to embrace each other without realizing it. I'm not sure how long we could stand like this, but I pulled away first, much to Kyo-kun's surprise. I have it! Without so much as a word, I walk back into the kitchen. When I return, I'm carrying a plate with a slice of cherry pie on it.

He wrinkles his nose, more in curiosity than disgust. "Cherry pie?"

BLINK. "Yeah. What? You don't like cherry pie?"

"I never said...."

"Well if you don't want it, I'll put it back in the refrigerator." The words come out much calmer than I'd planned and it's difficult to keep a knowing smile from my face. I'm purposely pulling his chain and he's falling into my trap.

He takes a step towards me, reaching for the plate. "Give it here."

"Nope," and I turn to walk back to the kitchen.

"Kagura, I said give it here!"

The anger in his voice is fake. It's so easy to tell. Still, he follows me into the kitchen and continues to argue for the piece of pie. The old Kyo is returning...or is it a new Kyo emerging? I suppose only time will tell.

Until then, I'm content simply being with him, even if just for the moment.



~FIN~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^