Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ They All Fall Down ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
THEY ALL FALL DOWN
And appropriately so...Akito makes a decision that's unthinkable....
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Okay, this story takes place approximately five months after "Affirmations". You may want to read "Affirmations" to better understand what is happening, however, it is not necessary (but highly recommended). ^^ The proverb made me think of Akito so I feel it appropriate to the character in question. Written prior to the release of manga chapter 97. Standard disclaimer follows the story.


'The greatest deceiver is one who deceives himself' - Chinese Proverb




"Of all the stupid...!"

CRASH!

"No good...!"

BANG! CRASH!

"Traitor!"

CRACK! POP!

"Never!"

CRASH! SPLAT!

"Bitch!"

The last outburst comes out with such force that even _I_ am amazed and awed by it. I stop myself, a priceless Japanese vase gripped tightly in my right hand. I was going to throw it of course, but the energy suddenly drained from my body and I could no longer hold it. What should've been the loudest crash of the day turned into a hollow THUNK, followed by a CRACK as the vase falls from my hand to the floor.

"Are you done now?"

While I do not have much energy left -- goddamn illness -- I can still glower at Shigure. My tantrums don't effect him as they used to. He used to fear me, shrink away from my little outbursts. But now he's leaning against the doorway with a smug look on his face.

JERK!

"Come sit down, Akito-san."

Ah, Hatori. I had almost forgotten that he's there. If I really stop to think about it, I would be amazed at how well Hatori handles my outbursts and mood swings. Perhaps as my doctor he is used to such things. But like Shigure, he used to cringe in fear of my anger.

The whole family used to, but not any more.

And it's all HER fault.

I briefly remind myself of the day Shigure had brought Honda Tohru to my attention. Her mother died in a car accident. Her grandfather's house was being rebuilt. She had nowhere else to go.

'Let her stay,' Shigure had pleaded. 'For their sake.'

And it was agreed.

Was I wrong?

I hate being wrong!

Since that day, I hated my own decision. I thought my idea was fruitful, my plan flawless. Couldn't they see the trouble she would cause, the havoc she already created?! No, they couldn't. The simpletons don't know what's good for them. The little minx was here to ruin everything!

Yet I allowed her to stay.

"That doesn't mean she can marry Yuki!"

"Akito-san?"

Both of my cousins look at me with disgusting patience. I'm not a child! But my outburst is unexpected, even to my own ears.

I allow Hatori to help me into bed. It's good to walk around every so often, even if it is a temper tantrum. I had no other outlet for my emotions. HA! And here everyone thought I was devoid of them. But the bed is welcoming and I can feel myself calming.

"Perhaps we should discuss this tomorrow," Shigure suggests, pushing himself away from the doorway and walking into the room.

"No," I surprise myself with the answer. "We'll discuss this now."

Once I'm settled into bed, I bid Shigure to come closer. He seems surprised that there is any discussion at all. Maybe my tantrum lulled me more than I realize. It may have been better to put this off until tomorrow, but what was started could not be undone.

Shigure would've seen to that.

"Yuki-kun is putting in a formal request for marriage...to Tohru-kun," Shigure restated his business. "He is waiting for your decision on the matter."

I suddenly felt nauseous. How could Yuki -- my Yuki -- even think of marrying that...that TRAMP?! It was downright outrageous!

Wasn't it?

It's all my fault!

"Why didn't he come here in person?" I ask immediately. It's an obvious question, with an equally obvious answer.

He hates me.

Hatori and Shigure do not correct me either.

"How do I know they won't go behind my back," I ask. It was another obvious question. Yuki had disobeyed me in the past. I didn't like it then and I would not tolerate it now.

"He's asking for permission. Isn't that enough?" Shigure replies.

I can feel the anger heating my face. "No!"

Shigure is silent and I sense Hatori coming up beside me. Strange that his presence calms me as much as the softness and warmth of the bed. I know that he hates me as much as the others. Especially after what I did to him.

He deserved it the bastard!

He looks down on me with his usual stare, the doctor stare, and I know what he is asking. I have to calm myself or I'll have anther attack.

"Yuki-kun should've come in person," I state more calmly. That was the way things were done in our house.

But of course Yuki's fear of me, of my wrath, far outweighs his anger and hatred of me. He isn't a coward, although that's all I can think of him right now.

He hates me and I love him.

For all I do for him, he should love me back!

What should I do?

"So what say you, Akito-san?" Shigure asks.

A decision. Something that should've been so simple is suddenly so difficult. I want to scream at my cousins. The answer's obvious isn't it? Yet my tongue will not move, my mouth will not open. Something is holding me back.

It's those damn emotions again.

I want Yuki to love me like he used to as a child. He should be dependent on me for everything...food, clothing, water, even the air he breathed! I am the head of the Sohma household. Everyone should depend on me.

Instead, they pity me.

Damn them! Damn them all!

Damn my illness.

Why did I let her stay?

My hope was that she would be a savior. MY savior. I put my trust in her without thinking about the consequences. No, I had thought them through, even formulated a plan. I knew what I wanted to happen...but it's not happening.

And now it's to end like this?

I want Yuki to love me!

Maybe if I....no, unacceptable.

I want Yuki to love me!

He seems so happy now.

I want Yuki to love me!

What should I do?

I glance at Shigure and Hatori. Both are still waiting patiently for my decision. They're faces are calm and their lips even. I'm hoping that their expressions will help me make a decision, but it's almost like looking up at a mask on a wall.

You're both suddenly sad. Please don't look at me like that. Like you already know my answer. Damn you, I didn't ask for this!

And before I know it, they've given me the answer.

"Fine." I wave a hand at my cousins, bidding them to leave. Then I turn on my side to face the wall, dismissing them. "Let them do what they wish. But I will bear witness, make no mistake."

I can feel their eyes on me. They say nothing in argument, but their eyes speak volumes and it brings a smile to my lips. The smile doesn't fade even after their footsteps disappear and the door to my room slides shut with a crisp snap.

Surprised are you?

So am I.

I could picture Yuki's reaction in the back of my mind. His eyes would widen in shock, then a smile would form on his lips. Suddenly I'm nauseous again.

That smile should be for me.

Am I wrong?

I hate being wrong!

Yuki...my Yuki...will you love me now?



~FIN~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^