Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ As The Sayings Go ❯ Solemn Vows ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SOLEMN VOWS
Here comes the bride, here comes the...all right, who spiked the punch?!
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by: Miyu, Vampire Princess



AUTHOR'S NOTE:
I'd call this a short like the others, but it's nearly twice as long! *sigh* Timeline-wise...this story takes place approximately four months after "They All Fall Down" (and it's the last one I have planned to write for this arc - YAY!). It is not absolutely necessary to read "They All Fall Down" to better understand what is happening here. It's a wedding after all...told from both Yuki's and Tohru's POVs! ^^



'Words are the voice of the heart' -Confucius





TOHRU

And here I thought graduation was nerve-wrecking!

Ayame-san insisted on making me a dress just for the occasion. It was a beautiful light green color with semi-long sleeves. The hem stopped a little higher above my knee than I felt appropriate, but I didn't complain. His clothing was always done with care.

It was a short walk to school for the ceremony. I was so nervous that Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun held my hands the whole time. I was waiting for them to start fighting, but amazingly the fight never came. It had been that way for several weeks and I was glad.

Uo-chan and Hana-chan met us just in front of the building. They were both dressed in their finest, and I almost didn't recognize Hana-chan. Her hair was down completely and she wasn't wearing black! After exchanging hellos and congratulations, we walked together towards the auditorium where the ceremony was to be held.

Then came the hard part.

My name was called and I literally jumped out of my seat. I did my best not to stumble on stage after receiving my diploma...and I actually made it down the stairs without falling too. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I finally sat back down in my seat. I thought that day would never end and I did my best not to mess it up.

But this...oh, this is much worse.

Three months have passed since graduation. Three months since the night Yuki-kun proposed to me. I have to admit I was speechless. We'd only been dating for several months, with Akito-san's blessing (which was even more surprising).

While I was preparing dinner one night he joined me in the kitchen and just blurted it out. I couldn't quite find the words to say although one would've done nicely. Honestly, I don't think I really ever gave him a verbal answer. I was too intent on kissing him at that moment.

He turned into a mouse just seconds after the kiss. It was my fault mostly, but we both laughed. I was so happy that day I could burst -- just like the tea kettle I had forgotten on the stove.

Planning had taken up most of my time in the proceeding months. It was decided early on that the ceremony wouldn't be traditional. Ayame-san had offered to make my wedding dress. I even went with him to pick out the fabrics and the pattern.

"Tohru-kun, if you keep fidgeting I'll never get this hem finished."

"Eh? Gomen nasai, Ayame-san, but my feet are starting to hurt in these shoes. I should've worn them once or twice before today...."

Ayame-san looks up at me through half-lidded eyes. There are several pins tucked into his lips, but he manages a smile. Can he do that without swallowing any of the pins?

"It's okay, Tohru-kun. I'll be finished in a few moments, then you can relax."

"Okay," I manage to say cheerfully.

I was leery when he brought the dress to the house and it was unfinished. He apologized so thoroughly that I couldn't do anything but forgive him. The dress was absolutely gorgeous, even if he insisted it was still incomplete. All white satin and lace with faux diamonds as button down the back. It was one of the most extravagant dresses I've ever seen.

And it's MY wedding dress.

True to his word, Ayame-san finishes within moments. He drops the finished hem carefully. It's still longer than I want, but the shock of the day is still heavy upon me and I can't complain. He looks at me adoringly, but I'm not sure if it's for me or for the dress.

"Ah, Tohru-kun, if my brother doesn't know how lucky he is I'll kill him," Ayame-san states. There's a dreamy look in his eye but his voice is serious.

I look at him in sudden panic, but it fades as I see the joking smile on his face. After a moment, we both end up laughing.

"Ne, ne, Tohru-kun? Omedetou!"

The laughter slowly dies as Momiji-chan and Kagura-san enter the room. They smile at us brightly and I can't help but return the smile. Kagura-san hasn't changed much since I last saw her, but it looks as if Momiji-chan has grown again. I can't help but smile and open my arms. And although he's nearly as tall as I am, Momiji-chan bounces up to me and gives me a tight hug.

POOF!

Suddenly there is an expensive looking suit at my feet and a fuzzy rabbit in my arms. I nuzzle my right cheek against a long furry ear. Momiji-chan is not shy about transforming and I'm very grateful for it.

"Momitchi," Ayame-san glares at both of us. "Don't ruin Tohru-kun's dress before the ceremony."

"I'm not," the rabbit indignantly replies from the protective circle of my arms. Then he looks up at me. "Am I, Tohru-neechan?"

"No, you're not." Carefully I lean over and set Momiji-chan onto the ground and step out of my shoes. My feet throb gratefully and I can't stop a sigh of relief from escaping my throat. I suddenly want to sit down and realize that I can't sit in the dress without help. I'm too afraid of ruining it myself!

I suppose going to the bathroom is out the question now too. Darn.

"Omedetou gozaimasu, Tohru-kun," Kagura-san says, finally approaching us.

Today she will stand as my witness for the ceremony. In a few hours, she will be both my cousin AND my best friend. The thought brings a bigger smile to my face. I open my arms wide, inviting her to hug me. She does so tentatively, not wanting to ruin my dress as Ayame-san suggested.

I need the comfort. I'm saddened that Hana-chan and Uo-chan cannot attend the ceremony at the Honke. I had wanted them to witness this day since Yuki-kun proposed. But this was one of the few conditions I had to endure for the day. Knowing that I would see them later at the reception also made it bearable.

POOF!

Ah, Momiji has transformed back into a human. Kagura-san and I separate from our embrace. I keep myself turned towards her as the young man gets dressed. I lean over and whisper to her:

"How is he doing?"

Kagura smiles knowingly. "He's downright nervous, pacing all over the room like a madman." She giggles, performing a small imitation. Then she laughs. "It's actually funny."

"He has every right to be nervous on his wedding day," Ayame-san adds to the conversation. With his sewing kit collected, it looks like he's ready to help the others prepare for the ceremony. "But if he thinks about being nervous tonight, I'll never forgive him."

I feel a blush rise to my face as he makes the comment, yet I can't help giggling as well. I'm certain that Ayame-san isn't the ONLY Juunishi who will tease Yuki-kun if things do not go well today...or tonight.

There's also Akito.

I frown instantly.

"Tohru?"

Momiji's staring at me with concern. I smile at him, hoping it's as reassuring as I want it to be. He smiles back and leaps at me for another hug.

Nothing can go wrong today, Akito or no.

POOF!

It's my wedding day after all.





YUKI

TAP! TAP! TAP!

"You're going to wear a hole into the carpet if you keep pacing like that."

A heavy sigh echoes through the room. "I can't help it."

Another sigh fills the room, followed by a low guttural growl. "Why are you so nervous? This is what you wanted, isn't it?"

"Of course," comes the indignant response. "What kind of question is THAT?! Baka neko."

"Kuso nezumi. Stop it or I'll make you stop." There's a pause before he adds, "You're making ME nervous."

I finally stop pacing, turning my eyes to look at Kyo ruefully. He's been with me most of the afternoon. Amazingly we'd managed to keep from fighting until now. We both want to go see Tohru but know it will be impossible. Kagura will never allow us in the room. Some old Western superstition I think she mentioned.

"Why are YOU nervous?"

"How the hell should I know?"

But I know he knows. He's hidden himself in the room with me as a ward against Kagura. There is sure to be certain hints made today, mostly from our cousin. It brings a half-smile to my lips and I can't help laughing.

"Oy! Stop that. I'm serious."

"I know," is all I can say to him as I try to calm myself.

His relationship with Kagura has been growing by leaps and bounds in the past few months. I'm happy that he has found happiness and is not holding losing Tohru to me over my head. Of course, I'll die before I admit that to him.

I needed the laugh though.

Since I entered the Honke this morning my nerves have been running on high. It's bad enough that I have to endure the wait until the ceremony and worse that I have to do it with Kyo.

There was also the wait for Akito.

He had made us promise to three conditions for the wedding. The first was that no one outside the Sohma family was allowed to attend. I thought it was unfair to Tohru's friends, who I know she wanted to have present, but she agreed...and so did I.

The second was that the ceremony had to be performed at the Honke, mainly so he didn't have to go outside the main house. I could've cared less if he attended, actually I didn't want him there at all, but it wasn't going to happen otherwise. So we agreed.

His illness is getting worse it seems.

Then why won't he roll over and die? Is that too much for me to ask? Am I wrong for thinking it?

"Yo," Kyo's standing beside me now, one hand on my shoulder. His face is contorted in frustration, but there is concern in his red-brown eyes. "He's here."

Ah yes, the third and final condition.

Akito was allowed to meet with both of us before the ceremony. It was a simple enough request that I was stunned. Now I'm very leery and unsettled. His temper is insurmountable. Will he show it to me right now? Just minutes before the ceremony is supposed to start?!

"Arigato," I tell Kyo and he nods, stepping back towards the shadows of the room. I know he doesn't want to be there. His hatred for Akito is as great as my own. But he made a promise to stay by my side until the ceremony. He was going to keep it if I had to kick his ass to do it!

Honestly, I don't want to be alone with Akito.

"Konnichi wa," Akito greets me with a faint smile. He looks much taller than I remember, leaning against the open doorframe. He is dressed for the occasion in an expensive suit the color of ebony. The only thing out of place is the smile on his lips. It only makes me more nervous.

Is that possible?

"Konnichi wa." The words come kindly from my mouth. I'd like to spit contempt at him for forcing Tohru and I to do this, but then I reconsider. Akito has his own schemes. And things could be worse.

Ugh, why did I have to remind myself of that?

"You're looking well, Yuki-kun."

And amazingly, so is he. Maybe that's why I'd like to strangle him right here and now. The thought seems pleasing and brings a small smile to my lips.

"Arigato." I'm hoping he mistakes the smile for kindness.

"I have been to see Honda-san, and I thought now would be a good time for me to visit you. It's almost time to start."

My eyes widen in shock. He'd been to see Tohru? And that smile wasn't leaving his face. A knot clenches in my stomach and threatens to make me nauseous. What am I talking about? I've been nauseous since I knew he was in the room.

And it doesn't help that he starts laughing at me.

"You always think the worst of me, don't you?" He steps into the room, glancing to the corner where Kyo has seemingly vanished. I'll give the cat one thing...he knows how to disappear. "Your Tohru-kun is doing well and looking very ravishing." A new chuckle rises from his throat. "Come now, you should be happy today. No pouting, or I shall have to call the whole thing off."

Had I been pouting? I thought I was more angry than anything. I can feel the fine hairs on the back of my neck rise as he talks. His chuckle sends a shiver down my spine. He's purposefully toying with me. I hate it.

I hate him and I'm going to vent.

It's MY wedding day!

"You will do no such thing."

There's more venom in my response than I could've hoped for. Perhaps for once in his life Akito will take me seriously. My eyes bore straight into his. I want to break the contact, but I have to hold. I have to do this. For me.

For Tohru.

Akito looks at me seriously, eyeing me as if he's only seeing me for the first time. Today would not have been possible if not for him, or so he thinks. I can see his eyes darken in a single moment. My defiance always makes him look at me so. But this look is little different.

Am I seeing things, or is there a hint of amusement in his eyes?

"You have no sense of humor," he states flatly, waving a hand at me. The anger is in his voice, but his body language remains the same: commanding and demanding all at once. "My decisions are final."

"Gomen." The apology slips from my lips without a second thought. It makes Akito smile...and relax.

"No need for apology. I know what you think of me, Yuki-kun."

Does he really?

He steps closer to me, reaching out to me with his hands. I want move away, but I'm grounded to my spot. I want to flinch as his right hand touches my left cheek, the other resting on my shoulder. I can do nothing except watch him in awe of his actions rather than in fear. The heat from his body washes over me as he moves even closer. His lips press against my forehead and I still find myself motionless.

"Are you happy, Yuki-kun?"

"Hai." My response comes quickly, although I have no idea why he is asking me such a question. Is this a trick?

Akito smiles and steps away, his hand lightly caressing my cheek as it slides away. "That's exactly what Tohru-kun said. I'm glad."

With that, he turns and leaves the room. I can only stare at his back as he leaves the room. My limbs still refuse to move as my mind wonders over what just took place.

"What the hell just happened?" Kyo is as amazed as I.

"I don't know." Then another thought finally dawns on me. "Oy, how much longer do we have?"

Kyo looks at his watch and curses to himself. "A few minutes." He looks up at me with a look of sincerity and wonder in his eyes. Again, it's a look I've never seen before, at least from him. "Are you ready, kuso nezumi?"

For the first time today, I feel a genuine smile curving my lips. I can still feel Akito's touch on my cheek, but I try to forget it. Right now, I'm getting married.

"Baka neko. Let's go."





TOHRU

Kagura tells me it's time to start and I feel nauseous all over again. She tells me over and over not to be nervous but I can't help it. Just minutes ago HE came to see me.

He's here. He's really here!

//Are you happy Tohru-kun?//

//Hai.//

//Do you think...is Yuki-kun happy?//

//Hai.//

//I'm glad. Omedetou, Tohru-kun.//

Was that really Akito?

"Tohru-kun, hurry up. It's time to start."

My thoughts swirl even more as Kagura drags me from the room and towards the main shrine of the house. The ceremony will be short, and non-traditional, but it will be official. That's all that matters.

Kisa-chan and Hiro-kun are standing watch over the entrance to the room. I can here Ayame-san and Shigure-san inside chatting away. I can also make out Kyo-kun arguing with someone. Either Haru-kun or Yuki-kun. It was too hard to tell.

The younger Sohma only smile at me before turning and entering the room. Kagura grasps my hand and squeezes it tightly. She looks so happy that I can't help but be happy too. The knot in my stomach loosens a bit and I can feel the tension in my shoulders relaxing. With a deep breath, I nod.

"Let's go."

As soon as I enter the room, I realize that the ceremony party is larger than I thought. I had assumed that only the Juunishi would be in attendance. Yet, there were faces of people I didn't recall meeting. Other relatives that probably knew, or more likely didn't know, about the family curse. They all smiled at me, mumbling secret phrases to one another as I walked through the crowd towards the shrine itself.

My eyes first catch sight of Hatori-san. He's sitting close to the front of the group, with a young woman by his side. I'm pleased when I recognize her as Kana. I can't help but smile at him as I continue to walk.

Kisa-chan, Hiro-kun and Momiji-chan are all sitting together with their parents. Hiro-kun looks a little uncomfortable next to Kisa-chan, who's holding his hand. I want to laugh but manage to contain myself.

If I laugh now, I may trip or fall! Must concentrate on walking....

Ayame-san and Shigure-san are sitting opposite from Hatori-san. Shigure-san's wearing a suit. It suits him quite well. He looks so different when he wears one. Ayame-san must've changed after he left Kagura-chan and I to finish getting ready. He was wearing a beautiful red and black garment with an embellished symbol on it. It looks like a snake. How clever.

I smile at them both as I walk past.

Kyo-kun is intently watching both Kagura-san and myself as we approach the shrine. He's sitting alone in the very front of the group. I wonder how long it will be before I will be able to watch Kagura-san approach the shrine like this?

Then my eyes fall on Yuki-kun.

And I manage to trip on a piece of carpet. So much for concentrating.

Thankfully Haru-kun is there. He grabs my arm and helps to steady me quickly. He flashes a small smile at me, then nods. He is Yuki-kun's witness for the ceremony.

He looks so beautiful, my Yuki-kun. I can feel my cheeks blush and I avert my eyes for only a second before gazing at him again. His smile is one of happiness and joy and my heart floods with emotion. He reaches a hand for me and I can only reach out a hand of my own to accept it.

With a tight squeeze of my hand, he pulls me closer to him until we are standing mere inches from each other. I can't help but gaze at him in wonder and awe. Is this really happening? He leans over to whisper in my ear. What he says brings a smile to my lips. He smiles in return, squeezing my hand again.

'Aishiteru.'

Hand in hand, we turn to face HIM.

Akito.

I half expect him to say something derogatory or to lash out uncontrollably. Instead, he smiles and quietly says a traditional prayer for our safety and happiness. I'm certain my face shows my surprise.

Afterwards Yuki-kun and I are kneeling on the floor in front of the shrine. A priest appears and offers a prayer as well. I'm hardly paying attention to what is being said. My heart is beating so fast I can hear the thudding in my own ears. We stand and sit a few more times, and we both read the vows we had written together.

And just when I think I'm going to pass out, Yuki's lips cover mine in a brief, but stunning kiss. There is applause from the guests as we part. I let out a small breath and squeeze both of Yuki's hands with mine.

The ceremony is over.





YUKI

I can't believe how beautiful she is. Ayame's dress suits her perfectly with it's flowing lines and curves. I'm actually stunned to be thinking these things, but I can't help it. I wonder if 'niichan had something in mind when he made that dress. I wouldn't put it past him, the snake.

The pun is intended.

Shigure's house is already decorated by the time we arrive. Tohru was right to put her trust in her friends for the reception. Hanajima-san and Uotani-san have done a marvelous job of hanging streamers, balloons and spreading colorful confetti on the floor. The main table is already set up in a buffet style, with the delicious smell of food permeating the air.

They both greet us with hugs and smiles...well I get the smiles while Tohru gets the hugs. I'm thankful that they did not attempt to hug me, although Hanajima-san insisted on shaking my hand. She said she sensed good vibes and wished us good luck. For once her prediction made me relax rather than frighten me.

Sometimes I wonder if she really knows...?

Tohru and I greet the guests as they arrive for the reception. I'm not surprised that many of the guests from the wedding party have opted to skip out on the celebration. Most of them have long drives back home. I am grateful, however, that they came at all.

And Akito has opted to remain at the main house. I am happy that he allowed Tohru and I to be married, even though I'm unsure of his reasons. But his absence is all the more reason to celebrate.

The house fills up in a matter of hours and I'm beginning to get nervous. While other members of the Juunishi are present, I seem to be the only one who is uncomfortable with the closeness of the room. At least the cat was smart enough to leave earlier.

Perhaps I should join him on the roof.

"Yuki, daijoubu desu ka?"

I can feel her hand lightly gripping my upper arm before I hear her voice. The sounds helps to calm me, as well as her touch. My right hand immediately joins hers on my arm. My ears are still ringing from the sound of my name from her lips. My brain does not fail to comprehend that she has dropped the honorific in my name. Finally.

If I get any happier, I'll transform!

"Aa. I'm just feeling a bit claustrophobic. I'll be fine, Tohru." To help reassure her, I lean down and place a light kiss on her lips. It's not our first kiss, and nothing like the kiss we shared after the ceremony, but the sensation that runs through my body is one of contentment and joy.

Mine. All mine.

Then I realize that she's changed clothes. When did she--? She was only out of my sight for a minute!

"Do you like it?"

What a question.

She steps away from me and does a little spin. The dress is beautiful, no doubt another creation of my brother's. Although it was made from the same white silk as the gown she wore for the ceremony, the style was totally different and more like 'niichan's typical flare.

"Aa." I can't help but give her the once over which makes her blush. The collar is low-cut, but not too much so. The sleeves are snug from her upper arm to her elbow, then the material flows freely down to her wrists. The form of the dress is formfitting and very pleasing to look at. The skirt whips around her legs, stopping just above her knees.

And I easily take notice that the back of the dress is laced up with a single piece of string. Did she put this on all by herself?

'Niichan is eyeing me. I can see him out of the corner of my eye. And no one can miss the sly grin on his face. But it disappears as soon as Mine shows up with a drink and he turns to mingle with the other guests.

Now I KNOW he had something in mind.

Sometimes, I have to love him.

"Ne, Yuki. I know the party is just starting, but...well, would you like to get out of the house for a little while?"

A smile creeps to my lips. Her hand in mine, I bring it to my lips for a quick, light kiss. "Is it all right to sneak out?

"Hai," she replies quickly. There is a change in her breathing pattern and her voice sounds breathless. Did I do that just by kissing her hand?

Only one way to find out.

"Let's go."

I'm not sure what will happen at the party after we leave. All I know is that I have the one thing I've wanted most in my life and I'm not about to let her go. The owner of the house eyes us suspiciously as we make our way towards the kitchen for our escape. I smile in return -- perhaps the first truly unguarded smile he's ever seen from me since I moved away from the main house.

We'll be home in the morning, Shigure-san....





~FIN~

DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^