Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Eye Of The Storm ❯ Full Speed Ahead! Kagura charges In ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Eye Of The Storm

Chapter 10

Full Speed Ahead! Kagura Charges In

"This can't be happening. This isn't happening. God, please let this be some freaky weird dream." These are the thoughts that went through Keiko's mind as Akito kissed her. Stepping away Keiko brought her right hand to her mouth. "No, that couldn't have been my first kiss; it couldn't have been and from Akito of all people! I think I'm going to die."

"What's wrong?" Akito asked lowering his eyelids.

"That was my first kiss." Keiko uttered.

"Did I ruin it for you?"

"Ruin? Ruin would not exactly describe it. Yuki would probably hate me if he knew… and the others. I have no idea how they would react. I can't believe I just let him kiss me!" Keiko thought as she begin to torture herself. "No." Keiko answered not knowing what else to say.

"Good, I'm glad." Akito smiled.

"The homework," Keiko murmmered looking down at her school bag.

"Hm?"

"I should probably take Hatsuharu and Momiji their homework before it gets too late."

"I'll walk with you, that is if you don't mind."

"I, um, no I don't mind." The walk to Hatori's house seemed longer than the first time she visited. Keiko kept her head down nearly the whole way there out of embarrassment. When she did look up she could see Akito smiling at her and she would promptly return her gaze to the ground. "Ok get a hold of yourself or they'll get suspicious." Keiko thought has she extended a shaky finger to ring the door bell.

"Hello." Hatori said opening the door immediately after the door bell rang; the doctor's sudden appearance freightened the already on edge Keiko causing her hair to stand on end.

"That was quick." Akito commented.

"Keiko." Hatori nodded stepping aside so that she could enter the house. "I didn't expect to see you this evening." Hatori said to Akito once Keiko was inside then closed the door behind himself.

"Not that I have to explain myself to you, but I ran into Keikosan on the way home and decided to accompany her here."

"When it comes to you and other people we both know that any interaction you have with them is not by chance."

"However true that maybe it would do you good to mind your own business until instructed otherwise." Akito said coldly then turned to leave.

"Yes, and Akito please be sure to wear a coat when you go out. It would be a shame if you caught a cold in this chilly weather; especially after you've been doing so well lately." Hatori said roughly though he was concerned for the young man's health. In response Akito turned his head and glared at him then continued walking. The doctor didn't take well to being threatened, but there was nothing he could do about it. Maybe it was because he spent so much time with Akito, taking care of him whenever he became ill; he knew better than anyone that his sinister and vengeful behavior could not be helped and because of that Hatori could not truly find it in his heart to be angry with him no matter what he did.

In the living room Keiko found the bunny and the ox both sitting at the heater watching TV. Before she had a chance to announce her presence Momiji was already out of his seat and standing in front of her. "Hi, Keikochan! You brought us our homework?"

"Yeah."

"Did you bring us anything else?" Momiji asked eagerly.

"Sorry, not this time, I burned the cookies I was making for you in home economics and you know how greedy Takaisan is, so when I got it right he took them. I'll make you some at home during the weekend."

"Oh, drat!" Momiji said snapping his fingers. "I can't wait 'til we graduate I'm going to give that jerk a piece of my mind."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Hatsuharu asked joining in the conversation. "I mean you really should be thanking him."

"For what?" Momiji laughed.

"He did eat your cooking after all."

"Haru, that's mean!" Momiji whined. Hatsuharu just chuckled to himself and turned his attention back to the television.

"Oh, well here's your homework." Keiko said handing the blond haired boy a small stack of paper.

"Say, Keikochan hasn't done her homework yet either?"

"No, I haven't."

"Then you can stay and study with us."

"Ok."

"Well come on. Let's get started." Momiji said dragging her over to the heater. "Let's do our algebra assignment first." Momiji said causing Hatsuharu to frown.

"I'll just work on the history assignment instead." Hatsuharu said taking his homework from Momiji.

"Oh, yeah!" Momiji said looking over at Keiko who was sitting on the opposite side of the heater from them. "Haru isn't too good at math so maybe you should sit over here and help him."

"What about you?" Keiko asked as Momiji moved her books to the other side of the table top.

"I'll do just fine. Haru's the one on the verge of a failing grade."

Hatsuharu graoned.

"Oh no, not again." Keiko thought as she kneeled down beside Hatsuharu. "Hatsuharusan, are you-."

"Black? No, I'm just embarrassed because Momiji mention my grade." He admitted. "Don't go pushing it, ok?" Hatsuharu said to Momiji who just nodded.

"Uh, well since history is easier for you let's get that out of the way first." Keiko said taking her history book from her bag.

"No, you should do the algebra homework first while you're still full of energy." Momiji insisted. "I'll go make some tea."

"No, you'll just end up coughing all over everything." Hatsuharu said then started coughing himself.

"Speak for yourself." Momiji said sweat dropping. "Keikochan will surely get sick sitting next to you."

"It was your idea. If I really needed help I would have asked Yuki!" Hatsuharu yelled standing up.

"What in the world is going on here? It's like they're having fun." Keiko thought as she listened to them argue. "At least they're not like Yuki and Kyou. Sometimes I think they really do hate each other."

"Momiji go to your room. Haru don't make me sedate you again." Hatori said entering the room.

"Ah, Hari!" Momiji whined as he went up stairs.

"Yes, sensei." Hatsuharu said sitting down.

"Keiko, I'll take you home now." Hatori said.

"Sensei wait, Keiko was going to help me with my homework." Hatsuharu pleaded. "I hope I haven't offended you. I have a bad habit of running off at the mouth sometimes. Please, stay." He said nearly begging.

"I guess I could stay…" Keiko said hesitantly.

"Fine," Hatori sighed. "But, remember you and Momiji are still on punishment so no goofing off and once your homework is done I'm driving Keiko back to Shigure's."

"Come on Hari!" Momiji said from the stair case. "You said we couldn't leave the house. Keikochan is visiting."

"Considering the fact that you're both sick and shouldn't go anywhere in the first place I'm going easy on you. Now, up stairs."

"Party pooper," Momiji grumbled as he finally went to his room and closed the door.

"Wonder who else decided to drop by?" Hatori said leaving to answer the door when he heard the door bell rang again.

"Something's up." Hatsuharu said holding his pencil thoughtfully.

"Huh?"

"Sensei can be a hard case sometimes, but something seems to have recently gotten under his skin. I know he saw Akito earlier today. Perhaps something happened then. Is something the matter?" Hatsuharu asked seeing the troubled expression on Keiko's face.

"No, not at all." Keiko said regaining her composure. "He hasn't noticed but I'm still shaking. I think it may be best to avoid the main Sohma estate for a while and pretend that kiss never happened."

"Shigure?" Hatori said surprised to see his cousin for the second time that day.

"Evening Haasan," Shigure said with a huge smile.

"You're awfully cheerful this evening."

"Is Keiko here?" Shigure asked moving toward the inside of the house, but before he could get a toe in Hatori stopped him.

"Outside," Hatori said pushing him back and closing the door. "Let's go for a walk."

"Um, you're not going to make me an offer I can't refuse are you?"

"Keep moving." Hatori ordered. Once they were outside the main gate Hatori spoke. "To be fair I'll answer your question first. Yes, Keiko is at my house; she's helping Hatsuharu with his homework at this moment and I suppose it was only by chance that Akito accompanied her there."

"Oh? Is that so?"

"Play dumb all you want. I know you had something to do with it."

"Don't you think you're worrying over nothing?"

"For her sake as well as your own I pray that you are right."

"Can't you open your mind to the possibility that Akito has a genuine interest in a young woman?"

"Look, I didn't bring you out here to argue. Just be careful not to get caught up in a tidal wave. Even if he does have a genuine interest in Keiko no amount of manipulation on your part or his can make her return those feelings in earnest."

"Manipulation? I rather call it setting the atmosphere; a chance meeting here a candle lit dinner there-."

"Stop fantasizing, you dolt." Hatori said then looking to his side. "It's disgusting."

"You sound angry. Are you jealous? Oh, I get it you were trying to set up Haakun and Keikochan weren't you?"

"Don't be ridiculous."

"Then why did we need to leave them alone?"

"We left the house to avoid being overheard. Keiko is a nice young lady, but unlike Tohru she has a bit of a mean streak if you haven't noticed. I don't mean to sound as if I'm joking here but Akito is one thing; to make a woman angry with you is another."

"Oh, Keikokun gets angry at me all the time." Shigure laughed waving his hand.

"Laugh all you want but I have no doubt if she had any idea what you were up to-."

"Ah, there you go again." Shigure interrupted putting his arm around the Dragon's neck. "Let's go have a drink, on me."

"Is that your solution to everything; getting drunk?"

"If it will shut you up, which it usually does." Shigure thought and burst into hysterical laughter.

"She's smart, just like Yuki, beautiful, and funny. I wonder how strong she is?" Hatsuharu thought half listening to Keiko as she instructed in him on how to solve a quadratic equation.

"Do you understand?" She asked cheerfully.

"Uh… No…" Hatsuharu shamefully admitted. "I guess it's just a waste of time. I'll never get it."

"Don't say that. Some things just take more time than others."

"You're trying to make me feel better about being dumb aren't you?"

"I don't think you're dumb. If that's the case I guess I'm the dumbest person on the planet. I can't boil rice without burning it half the time."

"That's bad." Hatsuharu thought.

"However, lately with Tohru's help I haven't burned a grain for while now. It's easy for me to pick up a foreign language or when it comes to martial arts, but for some reason I really suck when it comes to cooking."

"You study martial arts?" Hatsuharu said perking up.

"Mm-mm, that's right."

"What level are you?"

"I'm a black belt. Why?"

"Wow, I can't believe it?" Hatsuharu thought starry eyed. "Do you think you could show me any tricks to use on Kyou?"

"Kyou? You two spare a lot?"

"You can call it that."

"Um, well I don't think there are any tricks I can show you, but I believe that defense is the key to winning a match."

"Darn it, I was hoping you could tip me off on how to beat him."

"If you don't mind me asking, what level are you?"

"Oh, I'm a black belt too, but whenever we fight, I mean spare Kyou always beats me."

"Hmm, let's go a round and let's see where your trouble lays."

"You mean you want me to fight you?" Hatsuharu asked wide eyed.

"Don't worry about it. I'm tougher than I look." Keiko smiled.

"Um, okay." Hatsuharu said standing and moving away from the heater.

"Whenever you are ready come at me."

"Okay." Hatsuharu said taking a half hearted swing at her and found himself penned face down on the floor faster than he could blink. "What happened?" He uttered.

"Well for one you weren't really trying and two I could read your move. Even if you really did try to hit me you would not have been able to, you're too predictable."

"Guess I need to train more, but can we please not do this again."

"Why not?"

"For one I don't like fighting girls even when I go black and two you're hurting me."

"I am?" Keiko sweat dropped. She was holding Hatsuharu down with one hand pressed firmly against his back. "Sorry." Keiko said quickly releasing him. "He seems like a gentler person than he was the other day. It's unbelievable how such a mild mannered person can change so much."

A minute later they could hear the door opening and closing; the sound of something heavy hitting the floor then followed. The two looked at each other as if to say; what was that? They ran to the front door to find Shigure holding Hatori around the waist with one arm as he held the doctor's arm hanging loosely around the Dog's neck. "Finished studying?" Shigure asked nervously, but neither responded as they continued to stare. "I bet you're wondering why Haasan here can't stand on his own two feet." Hatsuharu and Keiko both nodded curiously even though they had a pretty good guess as to what happened.

"Poor over worked Haasan passed out while we were walking around. Poor thing must be exhausted." Shigure said lifting him over his shoulders.

"Mm-mm… You got him drunk didn't you?" Hatsuharu said.

"You're kidding, right?" The Dog smiled.

"Hatorisensei doesn't drink often. No doubt you spiked whatever he was drinking. He's going to kill you when he wakes up."

"You don't say." Shigure said continuing to smile. "How'd he guess? Either way I better get him to bed before he becomes conscious." He thought as he carried the man to his room. Little did he know Hatori was wide awake as he carried him.

"So close and yet so far," Hatori thought as he imagined himself kicking Shigure right in the behind. As soon as the door to his room closed the two teenagers heard Shigure yelling, crashing, what sounded like an explosion, and lastly the sound of Shiugre laughing hysterically.

"What did you do?" Keiko asked when the novelist came running into the living room.

"Well, he was mad at me like Haakun predicted. Then, well… Haakun you may want to stir clear of Haasan for tonight; just let him be alone for a while." Shigure said in a serious tone the cracked up laughing again.

"I hope I was some help to you." Keiko said bowing. "Good night." She said hurriedly pushing Shigure out the house.

"Keikochan, I hear that you went on a date with Akito today." Shigure said as they walked.

"Date?" Keiko said nearly choking. "No, no date he just walked with me to Hatori's house."

"Really? There was nothing romantic about it?"

"Nerve racking is more like it." Keiko thought. "Would you consider this a romantic walk?" Keiko asked. Shigure smiled with a mischievous look in his eyes. "Uh, forget I asked." Keiko said then turned away.

"To answer your question honestly this more like one of those warm and fuzzy moments. You know; when two people confide in one another. As for a simple thing like two people walking together being romantic that depends on if there is a mutual attraction between them." Shigure said then stopped walking.

"What's wrong?" Keiko asked a few feet ahead of him.

"I was just thinking how cute that blushing face looks on you." Shigure smiled.

"I was sitting at the heater for the last two hours and it was on high by the way." Keiko said defensively.

"Oh, is that so? For a minute there I almost thought you weren't being completely honest about your date, I mean walk with Akito."

Keiko stopped walking and placed her hands on either side of her head. "I can't take this." She thought feeling as if her head would explode. "I've got to get my act together. Shigure is poking fun as usual but he suspects something. Still, it's all too coincidental." Sighing Keiko brought her hands down to her sides.

"Oh, Keikokun," Shigure said turning around. He had just realized she was not walking beside him and was a few yards away from where he was standing.

"Did you have something to do with it," Keiko asked as she approached him, "Me and Akitosan meeting today?"

"Damn! Caught already, well Hatori did warn me." Shigure thought as he quickly devised an answer to the teen's question. "You're suspecting me?" He said with a slight mischievous smile. "You're awfully defensive for someone who only walked with Akito." Keiko's face turned a deep shade of red. "I'll answer your question if you tell me what really happened between you and Akito." Shigure said in a hushed voice.

Keiko paused to think about the Dog's proposition. He was right in saying she was behaving far too defensive. At the moment Keiko's emotions were a mixed whirlwind and seemed to be getting the better of her. Perhaps she was too hasty in thinking Shigure would be so devious. "He could have had nothing to do with it and is probably hoping I'll spill my guts to only receive a flat no in return." Keiko thought then shook her head. "If you're so sure "something happened" then why don't you talk to him about it." Keiko said as they continued walking.

Shigure smirked. "Well played, well played." He thought mentally complimenting Keiko on her utter denial.

For the rest of the week Keiko did the best she could to avoid going over to the main house. Having already agreed to bring Hatsuharu and Momiji their homework she found it difficult to do. Though she had not encountered Akito again that week, each time she came to give the two boys their homework she could not shake the feeling that someone was watching her.

Saturday morning Keiko woke up later than everyone else. After getting dressed and groggily coming down stairs she found that even Yuki was up and about; wide awake. "Morning," Yuki smiled as Keiko came into the kitchen. "You're up late."

"I couldn't sleep." She answered.

"You haven't been yourself lately. Is something wrong?"

Keiko turned and looked at Yuki after pulling an empty milk carton from the refrigerator. "No." She answered then pulled out some left over rice from the previous night.

"Are you sure?" Yuki asked taking the bowel of rice from her hands.

"Yuki, I-." Keiko started, ready to tell him everything when Tohru walked in.

"Did I interrupt something?" She asked feeling the tension in the room when she stepped in.

"No. No, you didn't." Keiko said leaving, the courage slipping away as fast it came to tell her friend what was bothering her.

Keiko was on her way out the front door when something hit her and sent her sliding on her back across the floor. Hearing the commotion Shigure was the first to arrive on the scene.

"My love where are you, my love?" Kagura said looking about oblivious to what she had done.

"Kagura…" Shigure said shaking his head.

"Shiichan, where is he?" Kagura asked with tearful eyes.

"Kagura," Kyou exclaimed when he came into the room and saw her. Beads of sweat started to form on his brow as she approached him.

"Morning, Kyoukun." She said calmly greeting him.

"Oh, Kagura, good morning," Yuki said as he and Tohru came into the room.

"Yunchan," Kagura said tearfully.

"Yes?"

"I MISSED YOU SO MUCH!" With that everyone sweat dropped as they watched Kagura pounce on Yuki and wrap him in a bone crushing hug.

"This is new." Shigure smirked, "Jealous Kyou?"

"Hell no! I'm glad. I hope they get married and leave me the hell alone." Kyou yelled.

"Ah, Keikokun," Tohru exclaimed seeing her knocked out on the floor then ran to her side. "Are you ok? Wake up," she said shaking the unconscious girl.

"Kagura, what are you doing?" Yuki demanded as he struggled to get free from her grasp.

"Giving you a good morning kiss silly." Kagura said peppering his face with kisses. "That's one because I love you, two because I love you so much, three four five six 'cause I can't get enough!"

"Stop it!" Yuki snapped.

Shigure covered his face giggling. "I hate to have to break up the reunion between you two love birds, but Keikokun is unconscious you know," he said looking in her direction.

"That's… her?" Kagura asked not believing that what she was looking at was a living person. In Kagura's eyes she seemed more like a very life like doll; too beautiful to be human. "How'd she end up like that?"

"Well, you did it when you came in." Shigure pointed out. "It wasn't on purpose?"

"I didn't even see her." Kagura said rushing to Keiko's side nearly in tears.

"So, you're not bothered that Yuki has been spending so much time with her?' Shigure asked coaxingly.

"Shigure," Yuki shouted.

"Oh," Shigure said raising an eyebrow. "My my, what a passionate reaction," The novelist quipped.

"Don't go stirring things up unnecessarily." Yuki warned.

"It's ok. I understand." Kagura said from a kneeled position beside Keiko while Tohru went to get a cold, wet cloth. "I can see why you'd want to be around her so much, since she is so attractive, but that doesn't mean you won't be punished…" Kagura's voice trailed off. "But I don't know if I can bring myself to do it." She said; her gaze softening upon him.

Yuki sweat dropped at her words. "Don't listen to that dog." Yuki said shooting an angry glare at Shigure. "I thought you would know better by now than to go for his bating."

"Then you didn't cheat on me?" Kagura asked her eyes lighting as she ran over to Yuki.

Looking at her for a second Yuki debated weather or not he should give an answer to appease her or try to explain things. Seeing how Kagura seemed to be on the verge of giving him a smack down he choose to appease. "No, I didn't cheat on you." He answered flatly.

"Oooh! That makes me SO HAPPY!" Kagura raged punching Yuki in the face and knocking him out as well. Kyou couldn't help but snicker.

"Oh my love, speak to me? Did it hurt?" Kagura said rocking Yuki in her arms.

"I think that would be a yes." Shigure answered for him.

"I'm sorry, Yunchan, Keikokun." Kagura sincerely apologized. By then Tohru had come back into the room and had placed the wet cloth on Keiko's face waking her up.

"Oh, what happened?" Keiko moaned sitting up. "I was on my way to-." Keiko stopped mid sentence then looked around the room. "Another Juunichi," she said looking over at Kagura.

"That's right!" Kagura said clapping her hands together as she stood letting Yuki's head hit the floor. "So, you're a psychic?"

"Keiko sweat dropped. "I'm Yamada Keiko, nice to meet you." She said greeting Kagura.

"Sohma Kagura, likewise," Kagura said giving a quick bow.

"Can you guess which zodiac she is?" Shigure asked Keiko who was now standing.

"Ummm, the Horse?"

"Nope!" Kagura answered.

"The Cock then," Keiko exclaimed, sure she had guessed it this time.

"Wrong again." Kagura giggled. "I'm the Bore!"

"Ah, I see." Keiko said getting the image of a large black bore in her mind with horns.

"Nope!" Shigure said popping the thought bubble that appeared over Keiko's head. "It's more like this." He said an image of a small brown piglet appearing in a thought bubble over his head.

"Oh, I get it now." Keiko said, "How cute!"

"You think I'm cute?" kagura asked her eyes swelling up with tears.

"Yeah." Keiko nodded.

"You're the best." Kagura said hugging her." At this point Yuki had woken up and was trying to sneak away when Kagura glomped him.

"…But just because we're friends now it doesn't mean I'm going to share him with you." Kagura said keeping a tight hold on Yuki.

Keiko sweat dropped. "Yuki never said anything about having a girlfriend."

Yuki signed. "Let go of me Kagura," he said gently pushing her away.

"Yunchan, you jerk!" Kagura shouted smacking him so hard his eyes swirled. When it seemed that he would faint she grabbed him once again. "Shiichan, she called sweetly. "Yes?"

"Can I stay here for the night?"

Shigure gave a small chuckle. "Of course," He answered. "You're welcome to stay here any time you want. Besides that; I'm curious as to why you dumped your former fiancé."

"Oh, that's simple." Kagura said squeezing Yuki even tighter. "I let him go because even though I accept him for everything that he is there is someone else that would be a better match for him," she said somberly. "Besides that I've always thought Yunchan was kind of cute so, now that I'm not engaged to Kyoukun anymore I won't be tempted to cheat on him."

"Who's tempting you?" Yuki asked darkly as Kagura continued to squeeze the stuffing out of him.

"Are you saying you don't want to marry me?" Kagura asked seeming as if she were going to cry.

"Listen Kagura," Yuki said softly, pulling Kagura off and backing up a step. "You're my cousin and I love you, but I will not marry you under any circumstances."

"You what," Kagura shouted.

"You're related to me…" Yuki said.

"So? We're so far apart from each other in terms of being related we probably wouldn't even know about one another if it weren't for curse."

"Even so, I don't just to see you in that way." Yuki said politely as possible.

Silence fell over the room as it seemed Kagura was truly heart broken. "You don't see me… Well I'm going to make see me in that way!" She shouted; violently reaching out for Yuki who ran only to find Kagura close on his heels. "Come back here and promise to marry me!" Kagura yelled as the two ran through the room again into the kitchen. Right before a loud crash the group heard Yuki yell.

"There goes my house again." Shigure sighed. "Lucky I have you here to take care of it." He said smiling at Keiko.

"We should go see if everyone is alright." Tohru said going into the kitchen the rest of the group following.

"I've got you!" Kagura said triumphantly as she incased his body in another suffocating hug.

At this point Yuki had just about had it. Breaking out of Kagura's grasp it seemed as if he were going to say something when it seemed the words became trapped in his throat. His eyes widened in panic as his lungs failed to take in air.

"Yukikun," Keiko and Tohru exclaimed running to his side. Kagura stood in place frozen in horror at what was happening.

"Shigure ran to call Hatori only to find Kyou had already dialed the number and was shoving the phone into his hands before the other end picked up.

"Yunchan," Kagura uttered, tears streaming from her eyes. "I did this… It's my fault. All because I…" She thought as she ran out of the kitchen and into Shigure who held her as she cried.

Later that day, after Hatori had tended to Yuki, Kagura sat in Shigure's room, laying on the floor, curled up beside him as he worked. "He hates me now, I know it." She sobbed.

Shigure stopped typing to look at her. "I'm sure he doesn't." He said as reassuringly as he could muster.

"I-I could have killed him."

"Yukikun, is resting right now, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind seeing you."

"I couldn't. I can't even bare being around the others. They all probably hate me too."

"I'm sure that isn't the case."

"Maybe," Kagura sighed sitting up. "But Keiko, she said I was cute; she probably thinks I'm a monster now- nothing more than some wild animal."

"Don't say things like that."

"I just want someone to love me. I don't know. I wonder sometimes what it would be like if things were different; if none of us were under this curse. Would I still be so desperate?"

"You know, you should be more careful of what you say and who you are saying it to." Shigure smirked leaning close to Kagura.

"Huh?" Kagura uttered not understanding what he meant.

"This is your opportunity to call me names and beat me up."

"Shiichan…" Kagura said her eyes lighting up with joy. "YOU SICK BASTARD!" She roared, pounding him with both of her right fist.

Upstairs in Yuki's room everyone could feel the house shake.

"What was that?" Keiko said.

"Probably Kagura beating the hell out of Shigure," Kyou grumbled from outside the door.

A few minutes later a battered writer sat typing at his computer, while Kagura shyly ventured upstairs. Stopping in front of Yuki's door to knock, it suddenly slid open.

"It's her." Kagura thought suddenly feeling inadequate.

"Kagurasan," Keiko said cautiously.

"Is he mad at me?" Kagura asked.

"Mad at you?"

"It's my fault he had an asthma attack. If I hadn't squeezed him so hard, it probably never would have happened."

"Keikochan, why are you just standing there?" Yuki's voice asked raspily. "Is someone there with you?" He said a little clearer sitting up.

"It's Kagurasan." Keiko said pulling her into the room.

"I'm sorry Kagura said, her eyes swelling up with tears once again.

"It's alright. It wasn't your fault." Yuki said giving a small smile.

"Then you're not mad at me?" Kagura asked kneeling beside his bed.

"Of course not. You didn't cause my asthma to flare up." Yuki answered. "Just don't hug me like that anymore ok?"

Keiko stood by the door smiling before quietly leaving the room and closing the door.

"Yunchan…" Kagura started. "Do you really not find me attractive?"

Yuki looked at her and sighed. He didn't know what to say to her. It would have been the perfect opportunity to say "I'm sure you'll find someone better," but how could he honestly say that? How could he give her such reassuring words when he knew for them finding true love was only a hair away from being completely impossible?

"People always say things like "there are plenty of fish in the sea" and that may be true for them; those not born under the curse, but what about us? What options do we truly have outside of the Juunishi?" Kagura said sobbing.

Yuki was at a lose for words. All of his life he fought against the belief that normal people would be utterly revolted by their unusual nature, that perhaps even if people knew of their curse they could live normal lives, but the little voice that raked at his soul always replied "no, you can't". Over time that little voice grew louder, with Akito's help, until it was all that he could hear at times causing depression and self pity to envelop him as he went about his daily life seemingly unfazed by the dark emotions swirling inside him. Putting his arm around Kagura he gave her a gentle hug. "Don't give up." He whispered. "If people like Hondasan and keikochan exist; then I'm sure hope exists." He said with more confidence.

"Is there really?" Kagura asked wiping the tears from her eyes. "What if I do find someone outside of the zodiac? Will Akito allow it?"

Yuki clenched his teeth as the memory of Hatori walking around with a bandaged eye flashed in his mind. The doctor had found love outside of the zodiac, but when the couple came to ask Akito for his permission to be married; he suddenly became violently angry and shattered a nearby vase with such force that shards of clay flew everywhere. Unfortunately for Hatori one of those shards of broken clay cut into his right eye blinding him for the rest of his life. Though he himself was distressed over the maiming Hatori had suffered by his hand Akito never took responsibility for what he had done; instead he blamed Kana, the woman Hatori loved. "It's your fault!" He screamed at her repeatedly and she believed it. It didn't take long for unwarranted feelings of guilt of having hurt the one person she loved more than anyone else consumed her, leaving Hatori with no other choice but to erase her memory of their time together from her mind in order to heal the mental and emotional wounds she had suffered.

"Will you go on denying it until the end?" Kagura's solemn voice came, breaking the silence that had fallen between them. "No matter how far we run, no matter how much we try to pretend, we have to listen to him; we don't have a choice."

"Why?" Yuki thought angrily.

That night Kagura was able to sleep soundly between the two girls she called her friends; however that was not the case for Keiko. Still unnerved by what happened the previous day she could not fall asleep. If she had her own bed Keiko more than likely would have been tossing and turning in her restlessness, but mindful that two other people shared the same mattress she stood up and went down stairs. Going outside to the back porch she paced around slowly for about fifteen minutes until she came to a halt, suddenly realizing she wasn't alone.

"I was wondering how long you were going to do that." Kagura said stepping outside.

"Did I wake you up?" Keiko asked.

"Yes and no. I was sleeping until I rolled over out of the bed onto the floor. That wouldn't have happened if you were there."

"Oh." Keiko uttered sweat dropping.

"Just kidding." Kagura chuckled, "but I really did fall out of the bed." I heard you going down stairs and wanted to know what you were up to."

"Can't sleep," Keiko said sitting down.

"Do you mind if I keep you company," Kagura asked sitting next to her.

"No, I don't mind." The two girls sat in silence for a while as the chilled autumn air blew softly in the clear night sky.

"You should stay away from him." Kagura said breaking the silence.

"Don't worry, Yuki is like an older brother to me."

"That's not who I meant." Kagura said biting her lower lip as she kept her gaze on the ground.

"Then who do you mean?"

"Akito," Kagura whispered almost as if she were afraid to speak his name.

"Who," Keiko asked not hearing Kagura's hushed utterance.

"Akito. I was going to see Hatori for a flu shot and I heard them talking…" Kagura paused. "Is it true what he said?"

"What did he say?" Keiko asked as a terrible feeling swelled inside her.

"Did he really kiss you?"

Keiko choked as utter embarrassment sank in. She turned away from Kagura who was still looking downward.

"Ah, I thought so." Kagura sighed. Despite his twisted nature Akito was not one to lie; in his way of thinking the truth was more devastating. Kagura was not all that familiar with the Leader of their clan, but she knew enough to know that Akio was not the type of person that would speak vein words. Every word had a purpose and statement was backed up by action. Still, she was hoping that the conversation she overheard between the doctor and him was nothing more than a joke, because for some reason it cast an uneasy feeling over her, a feeling that made her afraid for the girl she had so quickly befriended. To her and the rest of the Juunichi Akito had been acting strange from his normal self ever since his encounter with Tohru at the main house. It was a welcome change since he seemed to have become seemingly light hearted and even friendly toward them, but at the same time it set a heavy feeling of uncertainty inside them. Could Tohru's words have actually touched him so deeply that he would change so much that he would so easily allow the cat to attend the New Year's banquette and as it would seem to be falling in love with someone, someone who was an outsider to their world? That, though they wanted it to be true, they were not quite sure of.

"So, then does everyone know?" Keiko said feeling her face grow hot.

"I think just Hatori and me by accident." Kagura answered.

"Oh." Keiko said pulling her knees to her face and slumping over.

"He trusts Hatori a lot and probably tells him things he wouldn't tell to the rest of us. What I overheard was a private conversation, something I shouldn't even know about so don't worry I won't tell anyone. Living with the curse, keeping secrets is something you learn to do very early in life and very well."

"Ever since yesterday evening, I've felt like there is this huge burden on me. Maybe I should have slapped him like I would have anyone else; what he did was totally out of the blue and unexpected and if he had been anyone else I would have slapped him, but he isn't. He's their leader. So, then, does that make it ok for him to behave that way and no one else?" Keiko thought. "No, that's not completely it."

"Keikokun, are you ok?" Kagura asked now wondering if she should have minded her own business.

"Yes." Keiko answered keeping her back turned.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

"No, it's fine." Keiko assured still facing away from her companion. "Akito really isn't a nice person is he?"

"No, he isn't." Kagura answered heavily.

"I see, I didn't think so."

"Well." Kagura sighed as if exhailing. "Are you going back to bed now," she asked standing up.

"No, I'm going to stay out here a little while longer."

"Are you sure? It's kind of chilly." Kagura said shaking as she wrapped her arms around herself.

"Mm-mm, I'll be ok."

"Alright then, good night," Kagura said going inside the house.

~*~*~*~