Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ in with the old, out with the new ❯ chapter one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This is my first Fruits basket fic so please, humor me. I own nothing but my ideas. Arigatou.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
“Shigure, we're off to school now. Be safe today.” Tohru called behind them as she, Yuki, and Kyou headed out the front door.
“Same to you three. Be safe and remember I'll be at Hatori's this evening for Akito's regular check-up. He demands I be present so do your homework and if you don't mind, Haru and Momiji will be joining you this evening for dinner so they're not under foot during the examination.”
“Alright, I'll just make extra.” Tohru chirped cheerfully as they made it out the door, hand in hand.
At school, classes went as usual. Nothing out of the normal other than Hana's usual strangeness. At break, they even convinced Kyou to play badminton again, which made Tohru happy as could be. Yuki and Kyou didn't fight and Haru hadn't lost his temper once all day.
After school, Tohru invited Uo and Hana to the house despite protests from the boys but promised them that they wouldn't cause any trouble. Unfortunately, how can there not be trouble in that house?
The entire evening was spent trying to keep Tohru from making her usual accidents and Haru's Black side sort of slipped out during dinner making Uo question Tohru's safety in the Sohma house. This causing a fight between her and Kyou about how he can take care of her just fine on his own. That statement incited a fight between he and Yuki because both were convinced they were better caretakers of Tohru. Momiji transformed into a rabbit several times and his exuberance to sleep with Tohru when Shigure called saying they all had to stay the night started the whole thing again.
In a way, all the fighting was flattering to Tohru but she handled the situation quite simply. So much so, it surprised everyone but Momiji and herself.
She decided that Momiji could sleep in her room in her sleeping bag while her friends slept in the bed with her. She then told Uo that Kyou protected her like a treasure and would never let Haru hurt her though she was sure he never would anyway. Other than a few altercations, it was a quiet, fun evening.
The next morning, Tohru woke up extra early to make everyone a big breakfast. While she was in the kitchen, Kyou came down to help. He had smelled the food cooking and thought he might do something nice for once but she was so wrapped up in what she was doing; she didn't hear him come in. She stepped back into him and the next thing she knew she was on the kitchen floor.
“Kyou-kun, I'm sooo sorry! I didn't hear you come in. Please forgive me.” She pleaded, scooping the little orange Neko into her arms.
“I'm fine, Tohru. It's no big deal. Just let me up so I can get to my room before I transform, okay?” He grumbled, trying not to sound cross with her.
“I really am sorry, Kyou. I made your favorite breakfast, if it's any consolation. I'm such a klutz sometimes!” She said, petting him gently.
“Humph, sometimes? Listen, it's really okay. I should remember not to sneak up on you. Just give me some time to change back and put on some clothes and I'll be back to show you how to shape the Onigiri, okay?” He rubbed his furry little body on her arm to show his sincerity then ran up the stairs to his room.
A few minutes later, Kyou was back, cleaned up and ready to start cooking. He showed Tohru how to form the rice balls but it took her a few times to get the hang of it. He ended up taking her hands and showing her how to make them that way. It was all he could do not to blush.
From the stairway, Uo and Hana could see the cooking lesson clearly. The two friends watched their little Tohru like doting mother hens, making sure only cooking was on the lesson plan.
They tried to stay quiet but watching short-tempered Kyou try to stay patient enough to teach Tohru was almost too much for Uo to stand.
“I think she will be okay here, don't you, Hana?” Uo asked, giggling at the now flour dusted pair.
“I suppose. They do seem to care for her but I still say something about them is off. Their waves are unlike any I have ever seen and it seems to be that way with everyone in this family. I'm not so sure we should relax just yet.” Hana's solemn tone making Uo roll her eyes.
“You saying something's wrong with my family?” From behind them, a very annoyed Black Haru tapped his foot impatiently. Unlike the girls, Haru spoke in a normal voice so Kyou and Tohru both heard the uproar.
“She wasn't talkin' to you, rice-for-brains!” Uo snapped.
“Is everything okay over there?” Tohru shook the flour from her hair and started to approach but Kyou held her back.
“Haru, go outside and cool off! I'll deal with you later.” Kyou glared at his younger cousin.
“You didn't hear what the little psychic psycho was saying. She thinks that we aren't good enough for their sweet little Tohru to be hanging around. She says we're strange and dangerous. Well let me tell you something, princess. You ain't see dangerous `til you've pissed me off and I think you're doing pretty good at that.” He circled them slowly them came to stand toe to toe with Uo.
“Tohru, I'm scared.” Momiji came down after standing at the top of the stairs, watching his cousin argue.
“Don't worry, Momiji. Everything's gonna be okay.” They stood side by side, trying not to get in the middle of the fight.
“Haru, I said go out and cool off or your gonna have me to deal with!” Kyou was standing between him and the girls now.
“This isn't your fight, cat! I'll fight you later but right now, I'm kinda busy sticking up for our family honor.” Haru said, refusing to stand down.
“Let him fight me! I'll kick his black and white butt from here to gone again!” Uo stepped around Kyou and tried to stare down Haru but when Haru started to push her, Hana shocked him.
The shock startled him so much that he almost backed into Tohru. All of a sudden, Kyou and Momiji doubled over and everyone heard Yuki screaming in pain from his room.
After the affect subsided, everyone stayed silent. Tohru was the first to speak.
“What happened? Is everyone okay?” She kneeled between Kyou and Momiji, examining them both.
Yuki stumbled down the stairs shortly after, shaking his head.
“What is going on down here?” He was short of breath but wide-awake for once.
“I don't know. Haru and Uo started fighting and the next thing I know, everyone is on the ground.” Tohru stood to check on Yuki who waved her off kindly.
“Hana and I are fine. Are you alright Tohru?” Uo began checking her for scrapes and cuts.
“I'm fine and I think every one is alright too but I don't know what happened.” She had started back towards the kitchen but before she could make it halfway there, she felt someone grab her arm. Kyou had started to get light headed and reached for the first person he could to help steady him. Unfortunately, that person was Tohru.
He lost his footing and fell into her arms. His cousin's cringed, waiting for the poof of his transformation into the Neko spirit but when it didn't come, they wondered what had happened.
Instead of the orange cat, everyone saw Tohru and Kyou in a crumpled heap on the dining room floor.