Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ in with the old, out with the new ❯ chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“But I… I don't understand. How could you…and I… this is too confusing!” Tohru sat, eyes swirling with confusion as Yuki tried to stand the two of them up. He pulled her closer to him and whispered.
“Whatever happened, it's for the better. Our secret's safe for now.”
They all took a minute to gather their wits and have some breakfast and soon, they were on their way to school. Tohru made sure to clean up in the house so when Shigure got home later, everything seemed normal. At school, things seemed pretty normal too. Kyou was the only one acting strange. He was being more with drawn than usual but as far as everyone but Tohru was concerned, that was normal.
At break, she followed him when he declined an offer to play rich man, poor man with the others in his class. He didn't seem to notice her being there until he sat down and felt her hand on his arm.
“Kyou-kun, is something wrong?” She started.
“I'm fine. Why don't you go find that damn rat and bug him?” He snapped. His irritability ceased to phase her anymore.
“I'm not worried about him right now. I'm worried about you.”
“So what's there to worry about?” He still wouldn't look her in the eye.
“I mean this morning. No one has said anything about it but I know it's bothering all of us. I don't understand why you didn't change when you bumped into me either but I'm here to talk if you need me.”
He shook his head and didn't complain when she ruffled his hair. Even with out speaking, she knew that's what was really bothering him and he knew she knew. It was an obvious thought but it still made him laugh that she could read them all like books. What was even funnier was that she had no clue she was doing it sometimes. She could even figure out Hatori's mind after only a few minutes with him.
The problem was not her gentle prodding into his mood but the problem itself. That whole morning had been a little different and he could feel something was off inside of him but it was the not knowing that bothered him so. He could tell his senses were dulled because of his inability to tell if anyone was behind him or not and he decided that that was too dangerous.
Half way through class, he faked sick so he could be alone to think. On his way to the infirmary, he got so caught up in his own thoughts that he didn't notice the girl coming right towards him. Yuki, who had seen him leave and decided to follow him saw the girl and called out to get his attention. His warning came too late and they ran smack into each other.
Yuki ran to check on them and hopefully intercept any undue contact of the feline persuasion. When he got there however, it looked more as if Kyou was the one in need of help. His eyes were as big as saucers because after the ceremonial poof of smoke, instead of being turned into the cat, he was looking at one.
He was a little orange kitten just bigger than his hand and between the four of them sitting out in the hall, it was hard to tell who was more surprised. The girl rubbed her head a while but when things came back into focus, she instantly began gushing over the kitten. Yuki helped her up then leaned against a locker, trying to keep his cool façade but Kyou, unfortunately, did not have Yuki's poker face.
“What the hell is that!” Kyou yelled.
“It's a kitten, what does it look like, stupid cat?” The last part he mumbled.
“I know what it is, dumb ass! I'm asking what the hell is it doing over there and I'm…” He finally just shut up and stood, picking up his things and running for the door.
 
“He's just sooo cute!” Tohru squealed, dancing the kitten around the kitchen. “Where did he come from?”
“That's what we're trying to figure out. He just appeared when Kyou had his “accident” at school today. Instead of transforming, this little guy popped out, I guess.” Yuki shrugged, feeding a cream cracker to the little gray rat on his shoulder.
After they had gotten home from school that afternoon, Tohru ran in to see if Kyou had come back yet. When she couldn't find him anywhere else, she went up on the roof and on the way down, lost her footing. Yuki had been helping her and tried to catch her when she fell but instead of turning into the rat, there he stood, holding her with a little rat on his head.
“I guess that's where your little friend came from, eh Yuki?” Shigure teased.
“I'd be careful if I were you. One dog in this house is more than enough.” He snuffed, scratching the little rat's ears. It was easy to see the poor thing was still a baby and it couldn't be helped that Tohru would automatically fall for it.
Just then, the kitten hoped out of Tohru's arms and up the stairs. She followed him into Kyou's room where he was scratching and meowing pitifully at the closet door. It seemed that in her haste to find Kyou in the first place, she overlooked the closet.
 
The door slid open just enough to let the cat in, then closed sharply. Tohru walked over warily and tapped on the door.
“Go away!” He snapped.
“Kyou-kun, where have you been? I've been worried sick about you all day.” She opened the door a sat down with her back to it.
“Big deal.” He huffed. “If you were so worried, you would have thought to check the closet in the first place.”
“She wouldn't have had to check the whole house if you would have been concerned about others feelings, stupid cat.” Yuki spoke from the door.
“Shut up, baka! No one asked you, kuso Nezumi.” Kyou snapped.
“Both of you, calm down. I think we all just need a good nights sleep. Everything will look better in the morning.” Tohru said, trying to defuse the situation.
“You are right, miss Honda. Sweet dreams and I will see you tomorrow.” Yuki smiled sweetly at her then headed back to his own room.
“Now before I go to bed, is there anything you want to talk to me about, Kyou-kun?” She asked, sitting up on her knees.
“Nope.” Was the short reply.
“Oh, all right then. See you tomorrow, Kyou-kun.” She began to stand but Kyou's hand on her wrist stopped her.
“Tohru? I just don't feel like talking much right now. I just kinda want some time to think. Thanks anyway.” He didn't look at her but she knew he was being sincere.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Thanks for reading and I'll see you next chapter. Ciao.