Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ in with the old, out with the new ❯ chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

At lunch the next day, Tohru joined Kyou on the roof where he usually ate his lunch. She had started visiting him there more and more often, trying to evenly divide the time she spent with all of her friends. So often, in fact, that he was starting to look forward to their quiet little talks though he would never admit it.
Kyou liked keeping to him self not so much because he was afraid of being exposed as the cat spirit. It was more of an insecurity. He felt that he was always being compared to Yuki or sometimes even Hatsuharu or Momiji.
Yuki was the handsome, sweet prince that everyone loved and respected. He even had his own fan club for crying out loud! Haru had his mood swings that ranged from clueless to pervert savant in the blink of an eye and Momiji was just so cute. He was so different from his cousins. Sometimes he had to keep from comparing himself to them like the others did. That's why he liked talking to Tohru.
Tohru liked him for him. She didn't think Yuki was better or Momiji was cuter. She just thought Kyou was Kyou and that's the way he liked it. When they talked, she would devote her attention on him and only him and it sort of gave him a sense of peace to know that someone cared about him, not his curse and not his temper. Not that he would ever tell her that, mind you.
“Kyou-kun, are you up here?” Tohru called from the ladder, trying to hold her lunch pail and climb.
“Yeah, I'm here. I'm always here.” He grumbled, reaching down to help her.
“Thank you. Now, tell me what's the matter? I know you're always quiet but you're being extra quiet. Please Kyou-kun, tell me what's wrong.”
He laid out his coat for her to sit on than made him self comfortable, the kitten lying down on his stomach.
“I'm fine. I guess I'm just a little confused. I remember bumping you and transforming like I always do but then yesterday, nothing. Now suddenly this hairball won't go away and it's just weird.” He sighed.
“I don't know what happened or how it happened but I'm glad it did. This way, your secret is safe and, who knows? Maybe the curse has finally been lifted.” She smiled brightly at him.
“Somehow, I doubt that. I just wish I understood why I'm not transforming! As far as I can tell, neither are any of the others but it's still too strange to be some accident or coincidence.” He sat there a while, pondering his own theories, until he realized how quiet Tohru was being.
He looked over at her and was a bit surprised. She was looking intently at her hands, absently petting the little orange kitten that had found her a more favorable bed. She seemed deep in thought and the more distant her gaze became, the deeper she began to blush.
“Hey Tohru, what's up? You okay?” He sat up now, an edge of worry in his voice.
“Well, I was just thinking. Since none of you have been transforming when I make my usual slips, then maybe… maybe if you were to… never mind.” She stopped, turning her face further from his gaze.
“Maybe what? I can't tell you if it's a dumb idea or not if you won't talk to me.” He inched closer to her and tilted his head to see her face.
“Maybe if you… hugged me. If nothing happens, that means the curse is gone but if you change, we'll know it was a fluke.” She still wouldn't look at him directly, but he could sense her nervousness.
“That don't sound too dumb. I guess it's worth a try.” He muttered, feeling the blood rush to his cheeks.
He reached his arm around her tentatively and winced when she leaned onto his shoulder. When nothing happened, he started to relax and pretty soon he let his arm rest on her shoulder. They spent the rest of lunch that way. Tohru curled next to Kyou, a little orange kitten sleeping in her lap.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
I'd say this is coming along nicely. Thank you for the reviews and I'm sorry if I'm getting a little mushy but I was feeling in a romantic mood. Thanks again for reading. Ciao.