Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ in with the old, out with the new ❯ chapter five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Of all the juvenile, asinine, simple minded things! Thanks to you, Hatori had to not only interrupt his busy day to come tend to your wounds but he also had to erase those boys' memories so now Akito will have to hear about this. Worst of all, you scared poor Miss Honda to death and could have gotten her hurt!” Yuki lectured to a now white Haru and an aggravated cat.
“Hey, I would never let anything happen to Tohru and if you think I would, you're even stupider than I thought! We were protecting her!” Kyou snapped back, loathing the tone the rat was using.
“Well maybe your protection is more harmful then helpful. What would you have done if a swing accidentally hit Tohru or Haru's familiar were to have trampled her too? I know you worry but maybe you should let the rest of us watch her.” Yuki said wearily, almost sounding remorseful.
Kyou stood and gave Yuki an icy glare that would make Akito himself flinch.
“Say what you want but I would never let Tohru get hurt. I would give my life to protect her and there isn't a damn thing you or anyone else can say.” With that, he brushed past him coolly and headed to his thinking spot on the roof.
Tohru sat crouched behind the banister while they talked and chose that moment to let herself be seen. She stood and looked at Yuki sadly.
“I was only trying to unburden you with my problems but there isn't much good I can do being so dumb. Those boys that tried to help me, Kyou protected me from them and Haru too. I don't know what I would do without you three but because all I do is mess up, I think I will just go back to my family.” She ran up the stairs to her room before the tears blurring her vision could fall.
Yuki started to go after her but Haru grabbed his hand.
“Maybe she's right. If she weren't around, things would be a lot easier. We would still see her at school and spend time with her after but the only difference would be where she went home each night.” He wrapped his arms around the rat's torso from behind and felt him relax.
“Maybe you're right, Haru. Besides, she would be safer that way.” He leaned his head back on the cow's shoulder and let his cousin plant a kiss on his cheek.
“It's the right thing for everyone.”
Upstairs, Tohru was packing her things or at least what she could fit into her small suitcases. She didn't have much but it was enough to need another suitcase. Maybe she could borrow one of the boys and return it later.
She padded across the floor to Kyou's room and peeked around. He wasn't in there but his suitcase was in the corner so she slipped in and grabbed it. It was then that she noticed the window open.
Outside, the cat was trying in vain to relax. He could hear someone moving around in there so he looked inside only to bump heads with tohru.
“Oh Kyou, I'm sooo sorry! I came in to borrow your suitcase and didn't know where you were so I thought-“ She rambled.
“Wait. Why were you borrowing my suitcase? Where do you think you're going?” He asked, cutting her off.
“You see,” she tapped her forefingers together nervously. “I didn't want anyone getting in more trouble because of me. I'm moving back in with my grandfather.” She said, trying to fake a smile.
“What!? No way are you leaving here with out my permission!” He yelled, reaching down through the window and pulling her gently on to the roof. “You can't leave me alone with that damn rat and the pervert dog! You are the only reason I stay here, Tohru.”
“K-Kyou? What are you talking about?” She stammered, her heart beating a mile a minute.
He just shook his head and pulled her into his lap, Koto appearing and hoping onto his shoulder. Instead of answering her, they sat there looking at the stars. He finally broke the comfortable silence.
“Tohru, if you left, I'd leave. I'd hate being here if you weren't around. I don't want you to go.” He hugged her and leaned her head on her shoulder. It was then that he felt the tears on her cheeks.
“I love you all very much but I couldn't live with the thought that I was the cause of Akito getting mad at you again. I have to go.” She pulled away and climbed back into the window.
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Chapter 5 is a success! I hope. Well, read and review. Ja ne.