Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ in with the old, out with the new ❯ chapter six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tohru had been back at her grandfathers for almost three weeks now and it was becoming obvious just how much they needed her around Shigure's.
“Yuki, Kyou. Breakfast.” Shigure called up the stairs.
So far, the laundry was turning into a mountain, the dishes were beginning to dissolve in the dish water, the trash was only being taken out when it was too full to stand, the bathrooms were near uninhabitable and there were holes from the boys fighting that had gone unpatched.
They came down the stairs looking exhausted. So much so that they forgot to be mean to each other. Yuki had been doing extra student council work and spending more time with Haru to keep from being at home while Kyou would just spend all his time either on the roof or at the school goofing off. Neither boy could stand being home if she wasn't there but it was obvious that it was taking the worst toll on Kyou.
Yuki was like her brother, Shigure mused, watching them eat in silence. He would do anything to protect her but what was once a crush was now turning into comfortable fraternal instincts. He would still act like he was fighting for her if for nothing other than to keep Kyou from thinking he won in some strange way.
“Alright boys, time for school. Remember that today, we have dinner at the main estate and everyone is really looking forward to seeing you. You wouldn't want to disappoint Kagura and Aya now would you?” He asked. The only reply was the sound of them racing out the door.
`Game, set, match. We miss you Tohru. Come home.' He thought.
In class, the boys continued to act as if nothing had changed. It wasn't as if they weren't used to lying through their teeth. Unfortunately, the separation didn't seem to be so kind to Tohru who's paler and fatigue was starting to show. She wasn't doing well in class and she was less cheerful. Uo and Hana couldn't figure out what was wrong so the first people they thought to talk to were her roommates.
“Yo carrot top, what's up with Tohru? She's been exhausted lately and everytime we try to make plans with her, she turns us down like she's hiding something. Is she feeling okay?” Uo asked at lunch. All four Sohma boys were sitting together, watching Tohru poke at her food. She had definitely lost weight too.
“She moved back in with her Grandfather a few weeks ago. After that little fight, she decided it would be better if she went home.” Yuki said calmly.
“And she didn't tell us? That is strange. I suppose I can understand though. She always did seem to be the cause of quite a few fights between you two and I'm sure that it was taking a toll on her conscious. She hates to take advantage of people and she probably realized she just wasn't really needed. It really is for the best.” Hana said, taking Uo's arm and walking back towards Tohru who had fallen asleep at the table.
“What the hell does she mean `wasn't needed anymore'? I told her she was needed before she left and she did anyway!” Kyou fumed, fighting the urge to go after them and give them a piece of his mind.
“Maybe we should go ask her what's wrong. If we are really nice and bring her a gift, I bet she'll come home!” Momiji said, holding up a little wrapped box. He apparently had been thinking of this plan for quite some time now.
“That's a nice thought, Momiji but I think it will take a little more than that.” Yuki said, smiling at the rabbit.
They finished their lunches and went about finishing the day. After school, it was still sort of a strange habit for Kyou to wait near the front gate for Tohru. Yuki usually met him there instead and they would walk home together but today, He managed to see Tohru heading out that way.
“Hey Tohru. How have you been?” He asked, trying not to stammer. She looked up at him like a sleepwalker just woken up and smiled sweetly.
“Oh, just fine. How have you all been?” She looked like she was about to fall over so he led her by the elbow to a bench near by.
“We've been alright. We all kinda wish you would call us sometime so we could have our picnics again. Shigure really misses them since he can't cook so well.” He added quickly.
“Oh. Well, I've got to go. I have a lot of chores to do before work tonight so I better get going. My cousin Shimura is picking me up.” She tried to fake a smile again but he could see her eyes start to water. He pulled out Momiji's little present and handed it up to her quickly.
“Momiji wanted me to give this to you. They really miss you and he just wanted to make sure you wouldn't forget him.”
She opened the box and inside was a locket. Engraved on the back were the words `we love you' and inside were two photos. One of her, Kyou and Yuki and the other was a group photo of Her, Momiji, Haru, Kyou and Yuki at lunch with Uo and Hana. She couldn't hold in her tears anymore. She started sobbing quietly, trying not to alarm Kyou.
“Would you *sniff* put this *sniff* on me, Kyou?” She said, rubbing her eyes violently. He nodded.
“If you keep rubbing your eyes like that, they're gonna get all red and puffy. How are you gonna pretend to be happy with puffy red eyes, huh?” He smiled at her, pulling her hands from her face and putting them against his chest.
“I am happy. Really I am. I don't want you to think I'm unhappy when there is absolutely nothing wrong. I just felt really overwhelmed that you all would go through all this trouble for me!” She said shaking her head.
“I'm not that stupid, you know. We miss you and you miss us. That's all you have to say.” He lifted her chin. “I won't ask you to come home if you really don't want to but at least think about the picnic.”
A car horn honked in rapid succession and she wheeled around to see her very cross-looking older cousin in the driver's seat.
“I've got to go. I'll call you about the picnic. Good bye, Kyou.” She kissed him on the cheek and ran to the car.
He just stood there, even after she pulled away, touching his cheek and smiling. He had to bring her home now. He loved her and he wasn't gonna let her go without a fight.
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
The next chapter will be the last. I hope you've liked it this far. Ja ne.