Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Kyo's Kitten Reika ❯ Opening Up Part 2 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kyo opened the door to see all of Kazuma's guests. Ayame, Shigure, Hatori, Kureno, Arisa, Saki, Tohru, Yuki, Momiji, Kagura, Kisa, Hiro, Ritsu, Hatsuharu, Rin, and even Mine entered, placing their presents near the desk.
 
Arisa looked around the room and started to ask Kyo where Reika was when a young girl walked into the living room with Kazuma from the bedroom.
 
“You sure she's not yours, Carrot Top? She looks exactly like you.”
 
Reika came into the room and looked at all the people before attempting to go hide in her room only to be blocked by Kazuma.
 
“She ain't mine, I already told you that.”
 
For the first thirty minutes everyone talked to one another. Then, Shigure forced Kyo to sit on the ground and have him open the presents.
 
With everyone watching, Kyo opened a microwave, toaster, towels, pots, pans, utensils, money, a DVD player, DVDs, CDs, and a six-disk stereo media center, and a few other things.
“Thanks.”
 
Everyone left around ten fifteen and Kyo and Kazuma set everything up after sending Reika to bed.
 
“Umm… Shishou, aren't some of these things a little expensive for a house warming party?”
“Just a little, but I told everyone in the zodiac the reason you needed things.”
 
“Great, I'm a charity case. Kazuma, can you watch Reika tomorrow a little later than normal? I want to go pick up stuff for the living room and bathroom.”
 
“No problem, if you want I can stay here overnight and watch Reika here.”
 
“What about the dojo?”
 
“I closed it for the summer, it has been closed since June.”
 
“Sure.”
 
Kyo crawled in bed with Reika while Kazuma slept in Kyo's bed.
 
Kyo entered the house around six thirty p.m. Kazuma and Reika went outside to help bring everything upstairs. Kazuma helped Kyo bring up the entertainment center, TV, couch, and coffee table while Reika carried the bags full of groceries, toilet paper, toiletries, shampoo, conditioner, soap, dishes, a telephone, and a wall clock.
 
By the time everything was finished, the trio ate dinner and Kyo thanked his Shishou for helping out so much.
 
Once Kazuma had left, Kyo brought Reika to the car and set up cable, and a telephone number.
 
When Kyo got home, he carried the sleeping girl to her bed and he himself fell fast asleep on his bed.
 
Kazuma arrived at seven only to find Reika finishing up breakfast. “Guess what Shishou, Kyo is graduating today!”
 
“So I've heard. Why don't you go get dressed.” Reika hugged Kazuma's arm before running into her room to change.
 
Kyo walked into the living room dressed in his school uniform, oblivious to Kazuma.
 
“So you're not even going to say hello?”
 
Kyo turned around and waved to Kazuma, “Sorry, just a little nervous.”
 
Kazuma simply nodded. Reika walked out dressed in a black, long-sleeved shirt underneath a teal corduroy jumper.
 
“Well, you need to watch her, did you pick out her clothes? If you didn't, then she might end up like you!” Kazuma chuckled as Reika gave him a questioning glance.
 
“You don't like my dress?”
 
Kyo chuckled, “We decided that she could pick out her own clothes. I need to leave if I'm even going to think about graduating.”
 
“Can I come!”
 
“You can come….” Reika jumped and shouted hurray. “After lunch.”
 
The five-year old deflated and walked to the bathroom to brush her teeth.
 
“See you soon.”
 
“Bye Shishou.”
 
“See ya later Reika.” Kyo didn't wait for her reply before grabbing his backpack for the last time in his High School life and left.
 
Reika watched him leave. Spitting into the sink, she put her toothbrush away and locked her door.
 
Kazuma didn't know what to do, he began to pick the lock as he heard activity inside and when he picked the lock, he couldn't open the door. Then it hit him, she had barricaded the door! Kyo had to be at least twelve by the time he figured that out. So he decided to do what he did when Kyo started this… call Hatori.
 
Going to the desk by the television, Kazuma picked up the phone of the charger and dialed the number.
 
“Hello.”
 
“Hatori? It's me, Kazuma. Do you remember when Kyo started barricading himself into his room and you were the only one who could get him out?”
 
“Yes, I spent three years coming over daily because he did it again and again.”
 
“Well for some reason, Reika is doing it, too.”
 
“I should have known. It's a cat-cursed thing.”
 
“Can you get her out of her room?”
 
“Sure, I'll be there in five minutes.”
 
Kazuma hung up the phone and went back to Reika's door. “Reika? Reika, open the door!”
 
_-_-_-_-_- An Hour and a Half Later _-_-_-_-_-
 
A knock on the front door called Kazuma away from Reika's door. Kazuma opened it and without looking Kazuma started to talk. “Thanks for coming Hatori, she still won't open up.”
 
“Why is Hatori coming over, and who is not opening what up?”
 
“Kyo? Shouldn't you be at school?”
 
“I only needed to pick up the robe thing and get a picture done. Again, who and what?”
 
“Reika locked and barricaded herself in her room.” A click was heard from the back of the house, “And she re-locked the door after I picked it.”
 
“Hmm, she's smart. I didn't think of that until I was, what, twelve?”
 
“Kyo, she had been in there since you left!”
 
Kyo's smirk dropped off of his face as a knock hit the door once again. Kazuma opened the door, relieved that Hatori had finally made it, and dragged him by his wrist to Reika's door.
 
“I did pick the lock, but she locked it once I opened the door for Kyo.”
 
Hatori sighed and asked Kyo if he had a master key, Kyo gave it to him and watched intently.
 
Hatori stuck the key in the door, unlocked it, and firmly nudged the door open and wriggled it until the stuff blocking the door had moved a few inches. When Hatori heard footsteps coming towards him on the other side, he quickly stuck his foot in making the door unable to close. Hatori didn't even wince as the girl tried to push the blockade back in place.
 
Again, Hatori, with his foot still in the doorway, nudged the door back and forth until he had enough room to slip his whole body inside and climb onto the barricade before Reika quickly pushed it back into place.
 
“What do you want?” Reika plopped down by her closet door and hugged her knees close to her chest.
 
Hatori sat down nest to her. “Why did you barricade your door?”
 
“What does barricade mean?”
 
“To block something with something else, usually bigger and stronger. Why did you barricade your door?”
 
“Because I can.”
 
Reika took out her photo album in attempt to ignore Hatori. She opened it to the front page and Hatori instantly recognized the man in the photo as her father. Wanting her to calm down, Hatori decided to play dumb.
 
“Who's that?”
 
“My dad. Do you think he remembers me?”
 
Hatori sighed, he had to tell her sometime, but he could wait a while before that happened.
 
“Who knows?”
 
Hatori watched as the kid flipped through the pages of the book, but one question, the question he still hadn't been able to find out, still plagued him.
 
“Where's your mom? I see plenty of kids and your dad, but she's never here.”
 
“She left my dad when I was little, all I know is that she looked like me. Then, dad left to go pick up my mom when she called and asked him to get her from the airport. He never came back, and the next thing I knew you took me to Akito and then Kyo's house. ”
 
“I'm sorry to hear that. Is that why you locked the door, because he left?”
 
“He always leaves.”
 
“If you unblock the door, I think he would like to see you.”
 
“He's back?”
 
“Yeah, he came back a while ago, around the time you re-locked your door.”
 
Reika closed her album and struggled as she attempted to rearrange her furniture. Hatori helped her and got the room looking like it did before she locked herself in.
 
Hatori turned away, but swore he heard a tiny thank you. He walked out into the hall and turned to Kyo.
 
“She looks up to you.” And with that, he left.
 
Kyo and Kazuma walked through the door and sat on either side of Reika, who was sitting on her bed with Soleil in hand.
 
“Are you hungry?”
 
“I want to go home.”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
Reika slipped off her bed and picked up her photo album and carried it back. She opened it to the fifth page that showed five kids and a baby playing outside of a one-story brick house. Reika climbed back to her bed and pointed to the picture.
 
“I want to go home.”
 
“They don't remember you.” Kyo looked at her with a sad look on his face, “Akito ordered Hatori to erase their memories and take you and anything that might remind them and trigger remembrance back to them.”
 
“Hatori said that they might.” Reika struggled with the information Kyo had just shared with her.
 
“He lied.”
 
Reika nodded her head to show that she understood and suddenly sprang off the bed.
“Your gonna be late to your graduation! Come on!”
 
Reika grabbed Kyo's hand and tugged him out of the door towards the front of the house.
“I have to go early and since leaving you home is obviously not a choice, how would you like to come with me? Just for a little while to get ready and everything?”
 
“I say, come on already before you're late!”
 
Kyo grabbed his garment bag and took off after Reika who was getting her shoes on. Grabbing his keys, he buckled Reika in and climbed into the driver's seat and took off towards the school for a before graduation party.
 
Reika toyed with her hair as she looked out of the window's, attempting to ward off the sleep that wished to devour her.
 
“We're here. Just stay close to me and don't let any boy who isn't in the zodiac hug you.”
Kyo held the garment bag in his right hand and Reika's hand in his left as he walked into his homeroom. Kyo placed the large bag on his desk and scowled as the teacher came over to his desk.
 
“So Kyo, is this your sister?”
 
Arisa walked over to her sensei and gave her that `you-so-aren't-the-boss-of-me look' and smiled, “This is Kyo's adopted daughter, Reika.”
 
Reika shifted nervously as tons of girls crowded around Kyo's desk.
 
Disclaimer- I DON'T OWN NOTHIN'