Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Kyo's Kitten Reika ❯ Finally Getting Ahead ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yuki watched Kyo walk into the living room. Everyone else was asleep.
 
“So cat, you got a job?”
 
“Yeah.” Kyo started flipping through channels on the television.
 
“What are you, a waiter or something?” Yuki smirked.
 
“Yeah, I am.” Kyo started to pound his thumb into the remote making the channels speed past.
 
“Where?”
 
“Kureno's new place.”
 
“Hmm, figures.” Yuki walked over to the kitchen and took out an apple.
 
“So, idiot, what's my life got to do with you?”
 
“Ayame.”
 
A noise was heard from upstairs followed by footsteps. A small girl walked quietly down the stairs as if avoiding someone; just then, Tohru came down the stairs following Reika, who jumped into Kyo's lap.
 
Kyo arched an eyebrow at the two girls and sighed as he turned off the television.
 
“Reika, I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were awake! …” Tohru drowned on and on while Reika tuned her out and fell asleep on Kyo. Kyo turned off the light as Yuki pulled Tohru upstairs and fell asleep.
 
Lifting the girl off of him, Kyo started on his homework for tomorrow.
 
Reika woke up a few hours later and put a blanket around Kyo's sleeping form. Softly sneaking upstairs, the girl laid down on her bed with Soleil in her arms.
 
No less than three hours later Kyo walked in and grabbed his backpack from her room where she had taken it last night. The rustling was faint, but woke the kid up none-the-less.
 
“About time, I was afraid you wouldn't wake up.” Kyo smirked causing Reika to giggle.
 
As much as she hated it, the teenager was worming into her system. She even called him `Dad' once, but she made sure to correct herself and Kyo didn't mind. When you lose someone special, only to have that someone's job taken over, well, it kind of feels like that someone is taking over that spot reserved for someone special.
 
“Who's that?” Kyo arched an eyebrow at the worn out bear.
 
“This is Soleil, Hatori let me keep Soleil before moving.” Reika squeezed the bear tight, “She has a bracelet too, see?”
 
Reika took hold of the bear's arm and thrusted it closer to Kyo. He chuckled at the thing and left, closing the door behind him.
 
“Yeah, I know Soleil. He looks a lot like my old dad.”
 
With two days until graduation, Kyo began to feel uneasy. Shigure said Kyo could keep all of the stuff in his and Reika's room and Kyo had just bought the apartment. A two bedroom, three doors down from Arisa's. They were moving in after work.
Kyo pushed through the doors of Kureno's new restaurant, `The Zodiac's Secret.'
 
“Kyo, I'm giving you the day off.”
 
Kyo looked at Kureno like he was officially crazy and left.
 
`What the fuck was that about!' Kyo sighed.
 
Trudging towards the car Kazuma gave him, Kyo began to drive over to his sensei's apartment.
 
Once there, Reika ran up to the car.
 
“You're early.” She stated in a Hiro-like fashion.
 
“Pfft, whatever. Where's Shishou?”
 
“He's coming, we were racing!”
 
And sure enough, Kazuma appeared behind Reika in a matter of seconds. Kyo got out of the car and watched Shishou pant.
 
“Kyo,” pant, “I tell you” pant, “again, your amazing.” Pant.
 
“Not really.”
 
“Do you need help packing or moving stuff?”
 
“Yeah, sure.”
 
Kazuma put Reika into her booster seat in the middle seat in the back row and got into shotgun beside Kyo. Reika quickly fell asleep in the car like she always did.
 
“Kyo, how is everything?”
 
“Pfft, who knows? I still need to buy some stuff for the house.”
 
“Why not have a housewarming party? That's where you get some semi expensive stuff, and it would mean that you wouldn't have to get as much. I could throw one for you tonight if you want.”
 
“Sure, anything to help pass Akito's inspection. He's coming over the day after graduation. I think the bastard wants to give me more instructions from Hell.”
 
“Kyo, language.”
 
“Sorry.”
 
Kyo pulled up to Shigure's house and woke up Reika who grabbed Kazuma's hand and led him into the house. Her room was already packed except for Soleil.
 
Starting on Reika's room, Kazuma and Kyo grabbed a few boxes and went downstairs to put them into his station wagon. Kyo hated the car that Shishou gave him, but at least he didn't need to get a car now.
 
Reika's room only had three boxes, a toy chest made be Haru, and a bed frame and mattress to be packed and the trio, Reika “helped”, was quick to finish loading. Kyo's room had more than three boxes; in fact, Kyo had nine boxes, a bed frame and mattress, as well as a desk and chair to be packed. The trio magically got the rest of the boxes to fit, but the group decided to go and make a second trip.
 
Unloading went smoothly as soon as Reika decided to play with Soleil instead of “help”. In no less than thirty minutes Kyo, Kazuma, and Reika (Kyo convinced her to leave Soleil in the apartment) were back on their way to Shigure's.
 
Kazuma immediately went upstairs while Kyo helped Reika out, because he had put child locks on the back doors. Tohru and Yuki came outside and Yuki went to help bring Kyo's stuff to the car while Tohru went to the grocery store.
 
“Let's go!” Reika grabbed Kyo's hand as soon as he closed her door and she walked over to the door only to be stopped by Kazuma bringing out Kyo's desk with Shigure's help, followed closely by Yuki who was holding Kyo's chair.
 
After waiting for the group to finish their procession, Kyo and Reika went to Kyo's room to grab the mattress. Kyo grabbed it making sure to have a firm hold on the mattress before letting Reika grab the end of it.
 
The two walked down the stairs and passed Yuki and the others going back up to Kyo's room. The two walked outside and put the mattress into the trunk. There wasn't much room left in the trunk or the back seat by Reika but the bed frame would fit easily, he knew that. And sure enough, the bed frame fit and the trio left Shigure's and headed to the apartment.
 
Unpacking this load was a workout for Kyo and Kazuma for Reika insisted on helping. After the car was unloaded Kazuma said his good-byes and promised to see them tonight.
Kyo and Reika went straight to work on putting together their rooms. Reika's bed was the first thing finished. Reika made her bed, as Kyo worked on reassembling her bookshelf in the living room and told her that since her new room was smaller that it would be better to keep stuff like that in the living room. Reika opened the second box and put all of the toys into her toy chest.
 
Kyo finished the bookshelf and went back to Reika's room to open the final box, which held her poster, clothes, hangers, and books. Kyo told Reika to take the books to the bookshelf while Kyo took out her clothes and hung them up in the closet.
 
“Where do you want your poster?”
 
“Can it go on my closet door?” Kyo nodded his head and put it up.
 
“What do you want for dinner?”
 
“Food!” She giggled.
 
The two ate ramen and got back to work.
 
Kyo set his desk and chair in the living room and then began on his bed.
 
“What can I do?”
 
Kyo looked up after setting his mattress on his bed. “Why don't you make my bed while I put away more clothes?”
 
“OK!” Reika went over to the box marked `bedding' and went to work only to be interrupted by a knock on the door.
 
Kyo told her to keep working as he got up to answer the door.
 
“Hello. I told you I'd be back.” Kazuma stepped inside. “Wow Kyo, you two have gotten a lot done!”
 
“Yeah, we're finishing up my room.”
 
“OK, the party is going to be at nine thirty here. I invited several people and I brought snacks and stuff since you only have ramen.”
 
“Sure.” Kyo was too tired to be angry and merely helped put the snacks and stuff in the refrigerator and freezer.
 
“Finished!”
 
“Shishou is here.”
 
Reika came out of the hallway. Kazuma went up to her and ruffled her hair since he couldn't hug her.
 
“I ran into some girl named Arisa and she recognized me so I invited her and her friend to the party as well.”
 
Kyo just snorted and leaned against the kitchenette counter.
 
“I might as well help, what's left?”
 
“My clothes, papers, backpack, posters, rug, and a few other things. I still have five boxes left.”
 
“Then why don't we try to finish up as much as we can in the next hour before every one starts to arrive.”
 
The trio finished up the last box as the doorbell rang.
 
Disclaimer- I don't own Fruits basket, companies, brand name objects, bands, et cetera and so forth.