Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Kyo's Kitten Reika ❯ Problems Occur ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Kyo, it came to my attention yesterday that Ayame here has an attachment to the kitten
Akito spat out `kitten' as if it were a cuss word. Kyo sat uncomfortably still with a nervous expression on his face while watching the head of the family. Ayame sat with a stoic expression he usually only used when playing card games.
 
“I think it would be fair to give you a shot Kyo. One. Last. Shot. You are eighteen and almost out of high school. By the time you graduate I want you to have a job, an apartment, a car, a driver's license, and furniture. You won't have access to your Sohma account until I see that you can support yourself and a child. When she starts school the lowest grade she can get is a B- on not only report cards, but all tests, projects, and homework as well, or else you will be behind bars while your kitten lives with the snake!” Akito called for Hatori and dismissed the two adults.
 
Ayame looked over at Kyo who had a look of confusion, nervousness, and pure anger on his face that not only showed, but also penetrated from him like a thick fog.
 
“Kyo? I'm sorry, I didn't think Akito would do something like that. If you need any help, feel free to ask.”
 
Kyo glared pure hatred at him, “I don't need your help, I can do this all on my own.”
Kyo left Ayame and stormed out of the main house.
 
The walk to Hatori's was an incredibly short one considering that he lived right next door. Kyo pounded on the door until Hatori opened it. Kyo reached down and picked up Reika, something he only did on a rare occasion, and turned around to leave. Hatori stopped Kyo and called him inside the house only to see Hatsuharu packing his things.
 
“What's he packing for?”
 
“Doctoring is too much for him.”
 
Reika sensed the tension in the air as Kyo told Hatori he had to leave and Hatori offered to drive him. Kyo and Hatori were silent as Reika sang the theme song from Punky Brewster. Kyo listened to the words of the song and surprisingly enough, his daughter's favorite theme song fit him perfectly.
 
“Can you sing that again?”
 
“Sure!” Reika's face brightened, Kyo always acted like he hated the show, but he actually wanted to hear the song again!
 
“Maybe the world is blind,
Or just a little unkind.
Don't know.
Seems you can't be sure
Of anything anymore.
Although,
You maybe lonely and then,
One day you're smiling again.
Every time I turn around,
I see the girl that turns my world around.
Standing there...
Every time I turn around,
Her spirit's lifting me right off the ground.
What's gonna be?
Guess we'll just wait and see.”
 
Hatori parked the car and let the two out before driving away, which reminded Kyo of his recent problem.
 
Kyo looked at Reika and frowned. `Little does she know, that both our futures depend on us, wow, a team.' Kyo took Reika's hand as he opened the door to Shigure's house and took her to her room. Reika jumped onto her bed and Kyo sat down next to her.
 
“How was it at the gay snakes house?”
 
“It was great! I got to play this weird game on the computer and made a kimono. It was cerulean with little flowers in the same color! It also had a lavender obi!”
 
“Sounds like you had fun.”
 
“Yes, but what happened to your tournament, you wanted to go.”
 
“I changed my mind.”
 
“Then can you teach me more?”
 
Kyo smile at his kitten and got into a new position…
 
_-_-_-_-_- Next Day at School _-_-_-_-_-
 
“Hey, Carrot Top, what up?”
 
“Nothing.” Kyo's mind was swirling when he finally thought of something. “Arisa, how much is rent at your apartment?”
 
“$100 for a two bedroom apartment, why?”
 
“Just looking for a place of my own.”
 
“Tohru told me you adopted some little kid or whatever, is that even legal?”
 
“If it wasn't, I wouldn't have!”
 
“So, when can I see the girl, Reika, right?”
 
“I don't care, and yeah, it's Reika.”
 
Kyo finished his lunch only to find himself alone at the table.
 
_-_-_-_-_- Meanwhile with Kazuma _-_-_-_-_-
 
“That was fun!”
 
“Yeah, I remember when I'd find Kyo on the roof, but I don't think he ever attempted to jump onto any trees from the roof.”
 
“I made it though.”
 
“Why don't we watch a movie instead?”
 
Kazuma was exhausted from watching the girl, he knew that Kyo was a handful when he was little, but Reika had to be classified as something else. The only thing Kazuma was even semi-glad to learn was that anytime a cat fell, they always landed on their feet.
 
“What movie?”
 
“How about, My Neighbor Totoro?”
 
“YEAH!” Reika ran over to Kazuma from across the room and gave him a big hug.
Kazuma took Reika's hand and led her to Kyo's old room where they watched Totoro together.
 
The movie was almost over when a knock was heard from the front door. Kazuma left Reika from her spot on the floor next to the bed.
 
“Kyo, you're amazing, she's really energetic.”
 
Kyo looked confused, but shook his head. “Not really. Shishou, where's Reika?”
 
“In your old room, watching a movie.”
 
“I have something I need to ask you, could you possibly watch Reika after school for me if I got a job? I know you work, but if it isn't a problem…”
 
“I'll watch her, but it starts tomorrow then. Why?”
 
“Long story.”
 
“Fine, but I expect a better answer from you in the future.”
 
Just then, Reika appeared through the hallway, crimson eyes gleaming. “Sure thing, but I think we need to go, bye Shishou.”
 
Reika walked to her dad and yawned. “Hi!”
 
“Come on, nap time.”
 
“But I'm not tired!” She yawned again as Kyo put her on his shoulders and started walking home.
 
“They have a word for people like us, its called `procrastinator'.”
 
“Guess what? I jumped from the roof and fell; then, I tried again, but on the third try, I landed on the tree!”
 
Kyo sighed at her and put her down to walk.
 
A/N- I still don't own Fruits Basket or Punky Brewster.