Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mute to the Touch ❯ Lost in the Crowd ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - I don't own InuYasha or it's characters, I don't own pigeon sign language, it's kinda like a dialect.
 
I'll describe the signs unless it's finger spelling, once I describe the sign once, I'll just write the word when I use it later on, unless one of the characters knows the sign.
 
This chapter is dedicated to Hikari and Kyo San 0.07. Hikari, your questions will be answered in this chapter.
 
Everyone was downstairs after Kohana fell asleep except Tohru, who was busy with homework and studying for make-up exams with Uo and Hanajima.
 
“Why is she afraid of you Ayame?” Kyo asked as he took a bite out of his apple.
 
“Something I did a while ago, before I decided I wanted to recover lost relationships. She was always really small, she was a preemie by I think two months. She was perfect, what our mom always wanted. Besides being a preemie, everything was perfect. The best pregnancy and pretty easy delivery compared to us. Kohana was a girl and not a part of the junishi, she was everything we weren't and I got so mad… you see, she can't scream, we did some harsh things, a few friends and me… things I regret now. I remember how happy I was finding out she was mute, she wasn't so perfect and I thought someone needed to teach her her place so I brought her before Akito… after that, I did what I had been doing to her and Yuki, ignoring them and hoping they'd go away…”
 
“How old was she?”
 
“About twoish…”
 
“TWO! DAMN you stupid snake!!! That was only four years ago!” Ayame hung his head and began to wring his hands. “Then what's Yuki's problem?” Kyo took another bite of his apple and stared at the vacant eyed rat.
 
“It's none of your business what my “problem” is.”
 
“She is six, and afraid of you both! Ayame more than you, but still. And what was that thing you did with her hands earlier?” Kyo was trying to piece this all together. The whole family issue that lay in the rat's family.
 
“Nothing, it's like telling someone to shut up and covering their mouth.” Yuki acted as if nothing was wrong.
 
Shigure sighed. “Aya, can you call me when you get back home?” Ayame nodded his head and left after giving his brother and Shigure a hug. Yuki left for his garden leaving Shigure alone with Kyo.
 
“You know, I've never seen you so interested in a person like this.” Shigure sat down on a chair and chewed on the end of his glasses.
 
“Yeah, well, I'm sick of their family and their crap. Yuki won't even look at her and Ayame acts, well, like Ayame.
 
“He regrets a lot of what he did.”
 
A few minutes later the phone rang and Shigure answered it, giving the phone to Kyo. “This is so much fun, it's like we're spies getting secret information!” Kyo hit Shigure in the back of the head and watched as the writer disappeared into his room.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Kyo, you want to know what's wrong with Yuki? He once told me… But you have to trust me when I say growing up with our mother was hard. We hold grudges, and still do, I've slowly gotten over mine a year ago.”
 
“Just get on with it.”
 
“Okay, well here's what happened…
 
 
An eleven-year-old Yuki watched as the best person his mother could find tutored his sister. He stood in the stairway peeking through a fake tree as he watched his mother smile at Kohana and hug her tight.
 
His mother walked out of the room and Yuki quickly stood up and acted as if he was coming down. His mother passed him without a glance. The only words he heard was `pack your things, you're going to live with Akito for a while.'
 
Yuki shivered at the thought of leaving. He quickly packed his things and headed downstairs when his sister stopped him.

Kohana handed him a picture of a badly drawn house with people inside. She pointed to the purple stick figure and then back to Yuki. Attempting to tell him who it was. Yuki looked at his sister and ripped it up as he started crying. To him, she was the reason he had to leave.
 
Yuki pushed her down the stairs and ran outside only to be greeted by Hatori smoking a cigarette. Hatori finished smoking and threw the bud on the ground as he walked towards Yuki and helped him into his car.
 
Yuki was then for the next part of his life in a dark room to be tortured by Akito however the Souma god chose.
 
 
An eighteen-year-old Yuki attempted to get the images out of his mind. The moment he left he treated her like Ayame treated him, only worse.
 
Tohru stood behind him and listened as Yuki dug and weeded his garden, preparing for tomorrow when he would be planting new seeds for spring. “It's all her fault,” Yuki whispered harshly as the days in the dark room flashed before his eyes, “its all Kohana's fault.”
 
Kyo fell asleep thinking of everything he learned, and was finally glad to wake up the next day. Kyo opened his eyes only to see Kohana sleeping close beside him. Nervously, Kyo looked down only to confirm his suspicion. He had indeed transformed last night. Kyo quickly peeled his clothes and put them on as he watched Kohana toss and turn in her sleep.
 
Rolling his eyes, Kyo looked down at her and woke her up. Kohana rubbed her eyes and searched around the room with her eyes. The room passed her inspection, for even in the dark, Kohana knew what she was hiding from wasn't in here.
 
Kyo helped her off of the bed and held her hand down to the kitchen where he “helped” her make breakfast. Pancakes and fruit salad.