Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mute to the Touch ❯ School, and Friends Not Followers ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - I don't own InuYasha or it's characters, I don't own pigeon sign language, it's kinda like a dialect.
 
I'll describe the signs unless it's finger spelling, once I describe the sign once, I'll just write the word when I use it later on, unless one of the characters knows the sign.
 
This chapter is dedicated to PurpleCow12, cooliocows215, tohrukun92126, and Kyo San 0.07.
 
Hiro's mom slowly walked into the room and sat across from Kohana. Kohana looked at her and smiled as she put her left hand to her head and moved it away. “Hello to you too.” She smiled and crossed her legs. “Are you excited to try out the new school?”
 
Kohana put her left pinky into the palm of her right hand; she then made a fist and stuck out her thumb, putting the thumb under her chin and pulling in out shaking her head, f-u-n.
 
“What do you mean `it's not fun?” Kohana was relieved when she saw Souma san because it meant she could sign at her normal speed.
 
“So is everyone else at school?” Kohana nodded, “Well I'm sorry I'm late. Let's head down to the school then.” Kohana got up and held Souma san's hand as they walked to the elementary school. Kids of all ages were playing and laughing and Kohana just tugged on Souma san's hand harder as she sped inside the building. Souma san laughed as she guided Kohana through the halls into the office.
 
Once inside, Souma san walked up to the secretary and smiled. “Hello, I'm Konioku Souma, Kohana Souma's interpreter. We're here for assessment testing.”
 
The secretary nodded and showed them into a room where one other kid was taking a test.
 
After Kohana finished, the test was run through a machine and the secretary quickly assigned her a classroom.
 
Kohana slowly walked into the second grade classroom and nervously waited for the teacher to notice her at the door. A hand shot up to alert the teacher to the guests.
 
A man with a friendly smile walked over to Kohana and bent down to her level after telling the class to work on page seven in their workbook. “Hi, my name's Sato sensei. What can I help you with?”
 
Konioku put a hand on Kohana's shoulder, “Her name is Kohana Souma, and I'm her interpreter.” She handed the teacher the note from the office and looked around.
 
“Have a seat then by Marik, Marik, please raise your hand.” A hand shot up quickly. Kohana moved to the seat, it was closest to the window. Sitting down, Kohana wondered what to do just as Sato sensei handed her five workbooks and told her that they were going to be working on writing on page five.
 
Kohana put the other notebooks in her backpack and opened her workbook. She looked down at the page and smiled, it was a picture of a smiley-faced sun.
 
Kohana read the directions and got to work on writing a story.
 
As the day progressed, Kohana sat alone, and when it was time for recess, slowly walked outside with her head hung. She had told Souma san that she was fine and wouldn't need help outside.
 
She saw Kisa and Hiro, they were on the swings, but as she started walking towards them, Marik tripped her.
 
Angrily, she stood up and wiped the dirt and bits of blood from her hands onto her skirt.
 
Two boys stood close to him as he pushed Kohana back down. “What's wrong stupid? Can't you even stand up without falling over?” Kohana didn't even attempt to get back up as tears began to cloud her vision.
 
Marik kicked her and was about to kick her again when he was pulled away from her.
 
“What's wrong with you? Can't you even pick a fight with someone your own size, or are you really that incompetent that you have to pick on someone who can't fight back. And what's with your followers, don't you have any real friends?” Hiro questioned as Kisa told him to be careful.
 
Kisa ran over to Kohana and helped her up, checking to make sure she was fine. “Oh Kohana, you're bleeding.” Kisa looked at her arm and knee that had been ripped open and was steadily bleeding.
 
Kisa got a teacher over to the problem and told them everything she saw before helping Kohana to the nurses' office.
 
Konioku saw Kisa leading Kohana and ran over to them at the sight of blood. “Kisa, what happened?”
 
“Marik pushed her. Hiro and I stopped him though. No one deserves to get picked on.” Kisa was remembering the time when she was picked on and how that was.
 
“Well it's a good thing this school is first through eighth grade then. Thank you so much Kisa, but I think I'll handle this from here.”
 
Kisa nodded and hugged Kohana before heading back outside.
 
Kohana watched the halls and doors as she passed by them on her way to see the nurse. The windows seemed tall and the hallway endless.
 
Konioku attempted to hold Kohana's hand, but the six year old refused to be touched. Her hands were still bleeding.
 
Konioku left Kohana with the nurse.
 
A boy a few years older looked at her. `I, she pinched the shirt near her left shoulder, your, she ran her middle finger down her part in her hair.'
 
He continued looking at her before speaking. “You're the girl Marik was picking on right?”
 
`Yes.' She nodded her head.
 
“You need to be careful. Stick closer to your friends.”
 
`I no have, she linked her index fingers and the switched them, linking them the other way.'
 
“Then make some.” He watched as the nurse came out and helped her after struggling to find out what happened.
 
One everything was done; she walked out and sat next to the boy with black hair.
 
`I know you.'
 
“We met earlier.”
 
She shook her head and pulled out a pocket sized notebook and a marker.
 
No, you're Megumi.” She wrote down and showed it to him
 
“I still don't remember you, I'm sorry.”
 
Kohana sighed and hung her head as she slowly walked out into the hall.
 
“Wait.” Kohana stopped and turned to see him walking towards her. “How did you know me?”
 
You helped me.
 
Megumi searched his memory, but still didn't remember. “What's your name?”
 
You told me never to tell you.
 
“Well a name is important.” Megumi followed her out into the playground where she sat on the steps of the building.
 
What age group is this?
 
“You mean the school?” She nodded her head. “umm… from first grade to eighth grade.”
 
Where are you?
 
“Seventh.”
 
The bell rang and the kids began to filter into their classrooms.
 
Kohana.” She wrote down fast and quickly showed it to him. He looked confused. “My name: Kohana.” She showed him the paper before letting the crowd sweep her inside and too her classroom.