Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Mute to the Touch ❯ What Now? ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer – I don’t own InuYasha or it’s characters, I don’t own pigeon sign language, it’s kind of like a dialect.

I’ll describe the signs unless it’s finger spelling, once I describe the sign once, I’ll just write the word when I use it later on, unless one of the characters knows the sign.

Kohana was busy trying to catch up with the rest of her class, she had been told how far they were in each book, and planned to have it done by the end of the week.

Kyo walked into his room only to see Kohana smiling and writing a story about a dragon and an acorn.

“You really need to learn to live in your own room.”

Kohana smiled big and shook her head before continuing on with her story. So far the dragon named Piko found a magical acorn that helped him change colors. Kohana wanted to end the story, but she wasn't sure how, so she carefully wrote her last line.

Piko dropped the acorn and never found it again.

Kohana put the book in her bag and decided to finish everything else later, she turned around and watched as Kyo dug through a box full of what looked like paints. Thinking quickly, Kohana climbed onto the bed and peered into the box. Kyo removed his hands and grinned as she pulled out a silver paint tube and dropped it back in.

Kohana began to move her hands to start the word 'what' when Kyo closed the box and put it back under the bed.

"I thought I hid something in there, I guess not..." Kyo muttered.

"Lost something?" Yuki asked from the doorway.

"Yeah, I lost this!" Kyo said as he grabbed a marker from his bed and threw it at the rat, who easily dodged it.

"You need to get better aim. You have a guest downstairs." Yuki turned to leave and walked to his room. Everyone but Kyo and Kohana had somewhere else to be, but Yuki didn't mind. He pulled out a book and began to read about a guy named Oedipus. The myth seemed pretty interesting, but soon Yuki was brought out of his thoughts as Kyo walked into the room.

"Haru and I are gonna hang out at Shishou's, so you need to keep an eye on Kohana." Yuki was about to object when Kyo pushed Kohana into the room and ran outside.

Kohana looked up at her brother with wide eyes. She glanced around and was about to leave the room when she heard Yuki walk towards her. Kohana turned towards her brother and looked up. Yuki picked his little sister up and dropped her on the couch downstairs.

"Stay out of my room." Yuki didn't say it loud, but mean enough for Kohana to scramble to the far side of the couch to watch Yuki pick up the phone and dial.

The phone rang four times before a familiar chipper voice picked up.

"Hello?"

"Ayame, this is Yuki."

"Yuki? It's so great that you called! When was the last time you came over here? How is Student Council going? Shigure told me earlier but he always leaves out the interesting parts" Ayame gushed. Yuki sighed and waited for Ayame to stop talking.

"Would you mind picking Kohana up?"

"Why? Is she okay?" Ayame sounded worried, but Yuki didn't care.

"She's fine, but everyone left and I thought you two could spend some quality time together." Yuki seemed please with his excuse.

"I think you two need it more." Ayame's voice grew serious, "If you want, I could pick you both up and we could go get lunch in town."

Yuki paused, he hadn't been expecting Ayame's responce, "Fine." Yuki hung up and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

Kohana didn't say anything, but tears began to fill her eyes. She was glad that she couldn't make any noise, because she knew that letting Yuki know he upset her wouldn't be the best idea. Silently, she waited for Ayame to arrive. From what she gathered, Yuki was sending her off with Ayame.

"Ayame will be here sometime, we're going with him to lunch and whatever else he decides to drag us to." He sat on the couch as far away from Kohana as he could manage as he drank his water. Kohana merely slid off the couch and walked into Kyo's room to dump out her school books. SHe carried her backpack with markers and her notebook downstairs.

She walked over to the table and pulled out a blue marker and her notebook.

I'm sorry you don't want me here.

Kohana brought the notebook to Yuki and waited for him to read it. She didn't dare even attempt to sign to him.

"It isn't your fault." Yuki stated grimly as he tossed the notebook back to her. He wanted Ayame to pick them up. At least he wouldn't be alone with her.