Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To love the enemy ❯ chapter 11-finale ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: To love the enemy
Fandom: Fruits Basket
Genre: Romance/General
Rating: PG-13
Pairings: YukiKyou
Disclaimer: No, I do not own Fruits Basket!
Status: chapter(s) 11/12
Summary: Yuki and Kyou escaped...

***

Later that night after Hatori's departure, Shigure's house was engulfed in silence. For once, no one bothered to attempt conversation since Tohru was still at work. Shigure had cooped himself up in his study to work on his latest novel. Yuki and Kyou eyed each other silently, as if they were communicating without words. After a while, they both stood and headed upstairs with decision made.

The next morning before dawn, Yuki and Kyou met Hatori by the front of the house. Hatori drove them to the airport, and give them all the documents they needed for their journey. Throughout the car ride, all three occupants were silent. They were pulling into the airport carpark, when Hatori spoke.

"Don't worry about Akito, he had collapsed and slipped into semi-coma state last night."

"Oh..." Yuki echoed, not knowing how to react. Kyou merely shrugged and continue scanning the area as if it's none of his business.

Hatori walked the two boys until the departure gate, he said. "I guess this is it then, remember to give Ayame a call once you reached America safely. After all, he's the one who's going to set up bank accounts for the two of you."

Yuki looked stunned for a moment, he'd almost protested but Hatori silent him with a stern look and stated firmly. "It can't be helped, everyone of us is under survilence of Akito. Only Ayame have the ability to do as he please, since Akito never really interfered with Ayame's doings and Ayame wouldn't care about Akito's order either."

Reluctantly, Yuki nodded in silent agreement. "Hatori, thank you. Do take care of Honda-san while we're away." Yuki told Hatori before he hurried after Kyou towards the departure gate.

Hatori nodded as he watched both Yuki and Kyou leave without a backward glance. With a sigh, he turned and headed outside for his car.

Hatori entered Shigure's house that afternoon and was immediately met by the sight of a frantic Tohru. "Honda-san?" he asked.

Honda Tohru looked up at Hatori with red, brimming eyes. "Hatori-san, is it true that Kyou and Sohma-kun had left for America?"

Not knowing how to answer, Hatori merely nodded in response. After a while, Hatori asked. "Honda-san, what do you intend to do once you graduated from high school?"

Tohru blinked, thought for a while before answering. "Eto... I don't know, maybe I'll get a job?"

"What do you think about helping me out at my clinic?" Hatori asked.

"Eh?!" Tohru stared at Hatori with disbelief, "Really? You'll let me help you?"

"Yes, you know most of Sohma secrets and it's the safest option for being a nurse in the Sohma household." Hatori replied calmly.

"Oh... but I'll need a diploma for being a qualified nurse right? I've got no money to pay for the course..." Tohru asked.

"Don't worry about the course, I'll pay for it." Hatori smiled at Tohru serenely. "After all, I was the one who ask you to help me." he added upon Tohru's flustered expression.

"Thank you, Hatori-san." Tohru replied gratefully. "Why don't you stay for dinner? I'm sure Shigure-san wouldn't mind." Tohru suggested helpfully.

"Aa... I guess." Hatori answered politely, not wanting to disappoint Tohru and partly, because he needs to talk to Shigure.

The evening passes by uneventfully, it was more quiet and peaceful with the absence of Yuki and Kyou who always seems to argue over the issue of 'leeks'. After dinner ended, Hatori thanked Tohru for the wonderful meal before heading towards Shigure's study.

It was sometime late at night when Hatori left Shigure's house and headed back to the main house. Meanwhile, Yuki and Kyou had just arrived in New York city. Making use of Yuki's fluency in English language, they managed to find their way around New York and checked into a hotel for the day while they went for apartment hunting.

Using all the documents provided by Hatori and money from the bank account which Ayame sets up for them, they managed to get themselves a fairly sized apartment near their college. They write frequently, sending all mails to Ayame for safety purposes. They don't want to risk having Akito on their tails again.

It was during their second summer in America did they received news of Akito being dead. Yuki wondered if they should return but Hatori told them not to, since a lot of the elders were unhappy with their decision to desert the Sohma family. Henceforth, they remained in New York and continue on with their daily lives with occasional phone calls from Tohru and other members of the Zodiac.

Yuki and Kyou spend majority of the weekends off doing part-time jobs to support themselves, they get along pretty well. They aren't exactly lovers, but you could see that both of them have strong feelings for one another. However, their lives changes dramatically during Christmas that year. Kyou was just coming back home from his job when he spotted a tiny basket outside their front porch.

Prying the cover off, he was shock to find a little baby in the basket with a letter attached to it. He scanned through the letter swifty and took the basket into their house. Yuki was just coming out from the bathroom when Kyou entered the house. However, before Kyou could even said anything the baby decided to make himself known by crying out loud, nearly giving Yuki a heart attack.

"Kyou..." Yuki's eyes narrowed dangerously at Kyou, causing the other to gulp nervously.

Having no choice he handed the letter over to Yuki while he placed the baby on the couch. The letter reads:

Dear Yuki and Kyou,

Do you liked the present I give you two? Attached is the adoption certificate, the baby is adorable, isn't it? It's actually Mine's nephew, the baby parents had both died during a car crash last weekend and Mine was unable to support the child hence had to place him in an ophanage. I decided to adopt him and put him in your care, Yuki. After all, you are my brother. I'm on a business trip to Melbourne now, I shall trust you to take care of him. By the way, the baby was named 'Benedict'. Take care and good bye!

Your dearest brother,
Ayame.

Yuki was shaking uncontrollably by the time he finished reading the letter. He glared at the letter as if it's poisonous, but upon the sight of the innocent child, his expression soften. Handing the letter to Kyou and told Kyou to keep the adoptions document, he took the baby upstairs to the room he was sharing with Kyou.

***

Epilogue

Five years later, a young boy of five was spotted near the Sohma main house. It was New Year, the year of the Rat. Yuki was asked to come back since he's supposed to be the one doing the dance for the year. Kyou had to come along since Benedict refuses to leave Yuki's side, they are only going to be here for a week. After which, they are going back to America. Apparently, neither one of them felt like staying in Japan especially Benedict is schooling in America.

"Kyou-kun?"

Kyou was watching out for Benedict when he heard a female calling him. He tensed slightly, fearing that it's Kagura then he remembered. Kagura was part of the Zodiac, hence was involved in the New Year party, so it can only be Tohru. He looked up at Tohru with a smile and gestured for Benedict to come over to him.

"Aa... Tohru." he greeted with a smile.

Tohru smiled at the sight of Benedict climbing onto Kyou's lap and said. "It's been a long time, I'm glad that both of you are happy together."

"Aa...yeah...it has been a long time." Kyou mused, carrying the five year old Benedict in his arms as he soothes the child to sleep.

Turning towards Tohru, he asked. "So how about you? I heard that you had been helping Hatori out at his clinic."

Tohru smiled shyly and replied. "I'm fine... and it's good to help people out. Hatori-san had been exceptionally patient at coaching and guiding me along too."

Kyou smiled at Tohru encouragingly and said. "Well, that's good to know."

They sat in silence by the koi pond, staring at the stars together. Tohru was about to say something when they noticed Yuki heading towards them, fully changed out from his dance attire and back into his usual casual wear. Directing a smile at Tohru, he said. "Honda-san, we'll talk to you tomorrow morning. We should really be getting back to the hotel, Benedict is already half-asleep."

Reaching out for Benedict, Yuki started for the front gate leaving Kyou to bid farewell to Tohru and the others.

"Well... we'll talk to you guys another day, but we do need to get back now. " Kyou said before turning his back and hurried after Yuki who's already half a mile in front of him.

Hatori observed the sight from the back, and smiled slightly. Shigure patted him on the shoulder and said. "You're right."

Lifting his eyebrow skeptically, he asked. "What do you mean?"

Shigure replied simply. "Yuki and Kyou... I think you did the right thing, by letting them go."

"Aa..." Hatori made a knowing sound, before heading back into the house leaving Shigure standing on the front porch musing on the past.

~owari~

Author's notes: Finally, this fic is done... Yay! Honestly, felt the urge to dump this fic a lot of times. But I never had the heart to do it ^___^ Anyway, this is the end. The first and last Fruits Basket fic which I'll be doing XD (After this, I never wanted to write anything related to FB again... )