Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong ❯ What Was Taken In Exchange ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong

By Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter Three: What Was Taken In Exchange





When Alphonse caught up to Edward he was clear across the field sitting on the ground with his arms folded across his chest, body shaking. "Brother?" Alphonse called uncertainly after somewhat catching his breath. He was going to take a step closer but something told him to just stay back. "Brother, are you okay?"

"Tell me Al, would you be okay in this condition?" Edward growled as he desperately tried to keep from crying. "My body isn't bogged down by that damn automail anymore but now, but now…" Edward's voice trailed off as he lowered his head. His face was twitching uncontrollably as he tried to force the tears that had welled up in his eyes to stay put.

All Alphonse could do was watch as the person he called brother seemed to have a mental break down. He couldn't take seeing Edward in such pain. Taking a step forward Alphonse froze in his tracks when Edward let out the most terrible scream he had ever heard pass through anyone's lips. The sound was so awful it immediately made him cry; a scream so loud and so horrible a dairy farmer just beyond the edge of the forest the Elrics were on the other side of could hear it and wondered if it wasn't some poor animal being tortured to death by a sadistic hunter. Falling face forward onto the ground Edward starting sobbing uncontrollably. It was a matter of seconds before Alphonse was right there beside Edward holding him and crying with him. They had sought so diligently for a way to return to the way they were and now that neither of them were trapped in a suit of armor or had to carry around heavy robotic limbs they still had not reached their ultimate goal and were both wondering if they ever would, if it was even possible.



After a while the two continued their journey to civilization through the forest and though it was not as thick as the first one they had traveled through it was still very wide. They had no idea how long it would take for them to walk through it and as the sun set they worried about wild animals attacking during the night. Yet again Alphonse ended up carrying Edward on his back as the trek had proved to be too much for him. Hurriedly trudging forward despite his sore feet and aching back Alphonse would not rest until they reached a town of some sort where he could possibly get Edward to a doctor. It was maybe around nine o'clock at night when Alphonse made his way into the farmland beyond the woods. Pushing Edward, who had started to slide, back up on his back he continued walking but his feet were bloody and blistered and it quickly became more and more difficult for him to move on.

"Don't worry Brother, I'll get help for you soon. Don't worry." Alphonse repeated as his legs gave away and he fainted.

In a house not too far away a little girl was staring up at the stars with her telescope. She loved looking up at the night sky but more than that she loved looking down at the fields, once all the grownups had gone home from work, and watching the fireflies dances in them. Their brilliant colors and constant motion made them much more entertaining than the still white lights that decorated the sky. Moving the scope on its mount to look down at the fields something on the ground caught her eye. Adjusting the lenses to see what exactly was lying out on the dirt road leading into town the little girl gasped. "Grandpa!" She yelled running out of her room.



Sometime later Alphonse awake with a start, abruptly sitting up in the bed he had been placed in and slightly startling the old man who was bandaging his feet. "Brother!" Alphonse called frantic.

"Brother?" The old man repeated. "Son, was there a third person with you?"

"Third person?" Alphonse murmured then shook his head. "No, sir it was just me and my sister." He answered heavily. "Where is she?" He asked looking around the dark room who's only light was a small candle sitting on a table.

"She's sleeping in a room with my grand-daughter."

"She needs to see a doctor." Alphonse said attempting to get out of bed but the old man stopped him.

"Hold on there son, you aren't in such great shape yourself and besides she's already seen the best medic in town." The old man said with a slight smile of pride.

"Who?" Alphonse asked.
"You're looking at him" The old man winked. "Now, hold still so I can finish wrapping your feet." The old man said sternly and Alphonse reluctantly laid back down. "It's funny you know? I thought for sure the antiseptic I applied to the cuts on your feet would jolt you back to consciousness, you must be made of some strong stuff kid, to sleep through that as badly damaged as your feet are. Heh, it's a wonder you made here to be honest."

"I couldn't stop I had to get Edward some help." Alphonse said sleepily.

"Edward? Strange name for a girl." The old doctor commented. "By the way my name's Brawly and my grand-daughter is Susan, she's the one that spotted you."

"My name is Alphonse, thank you very much for you're help, sir." He said before falling asleep.



The next day when Alphonse tried to get out of bed tears came out of his eyes when he tried to stand up. "Owwe, it hurts too much to even stand." Alphonse thought. Hearing the door to the room he was in creek open he turned around to see a brown haired little girl standing shyly behind it. "Good morning, Susan." Alphonse said with a smile.

"Ah!" The little girl gasped slightly. "He knows my name..." She thought dreamily. "Wait, stop acting like an idiot of course he does. Grandpa probably told him. Now straighten up, he probably doesn't like girls who act all immature." Susan thought gathering her courage, puffing up her chest and walking confidently into the room. "You're feet probably hurt a lot so when I woke up this morning I made these slippers for you to wear. They have a lot of padding and are really soft inside so they should be really comfortable for you to walk around the house in." She said handing him the house shoes.

"Thank you very much, for the slippers and for helping me and my sister." Alphonse said graciously accepting her gift.

"Sister? Did I hear him right? That sleep talking annoying girl is his sister? Yes!" Susan thought excitedly. "No problem." The girl said slightly blushing and left to prepare lunch.

"Hey…" Alphonse heard a familiar voice call from the door a few minutes after Susan had left.

"Brother." Alphonse said turning his head to see a still very sleepy Edward standing in the doorway.

"The old man said you hurt yourself pretty bad." Edward said sitting down on the bed behind his little brother and yawning. Then a sad look came across his face. "How are you feeling?" He asked.

Alphonse sighed feeling a little uneasy at the question. At that time his feet were in a lot of pain but he didn't want his "brother" to worry about him so he gave a slight smile before answering the question. "It hurts a little but I'm fine."

"Just a little," Edward questioned. "The doctor said your feet were cut up pretty bad and you say it only hurts a little?"

"Yeah, just a little." Alphonse lied sweat dropping.

"Uh-hm." Edward said eyeing his brother fully aware of the lie he was being told. "You know you could have just left me. I would have caught up sooner or later."

"Don't say that!" Alphonse said turning around with an angry expression on his face. Why did Edward always have to say stupid things like that and piss him off? "What if some wild animal decided to eat you? Besides I just couldn't leave you lying in the middle of nowhere without knowing that you were okay and Brother you were not okay."

"Ah, is that so?" Edward said with his back still to him as he started to feel like a total heel for saying something like that to his brother but he couldn't help it; when it came down to it Alphonse's well being was far more important than his own, but at the same time he knew if Alphonse had left him in the forest all alone he'd probably cry himself to death literally.

It only took a minute for Alphonse's anger to subside and now he was looking at his brother with concern. "Are you doing well yourself, Brother?" He asked carefully eyeing him.

"Yeah." Edward said putting his melancholy feelings aside as he stood up and stretched.

"Brother…" Alphonse said worriedly.

"I'm fine." Edward said with a more cheery attitude as he turned around and gave his brother the sincerest smile he could muster to back up the lie he just told. "Anyway, smells like lunch is done. Move your butt or I'll eat your portion." Edward said as he trotted out of the room and down the stairs.

"Brother!" Alphonse called as he rushed to get out of the bed wincing in pain. Even with Susan's special slippers it still hurt to stand but nowhere near as much as before and with hurried limping Alphonse made his way down the stairs and to the table before Edward could make good on his threat.



Later in the day Edward found himself being held captive by Susan. He sat nervously on the bed he had slept in the night before as she rummaged through a trunk on the floor in her closet. "Found it!" She said triumphantly and pulling out a small box. Carefully opening it she pulled out the folded garment inside. "I'm still too small to wear it." She said with tears hanging from her eyes.

"Don't worry you'll get big enough to fit it in no time." Edward said in a tone that said 'trust me' and apparently it worked because the little girl's face lit up, but then went sad again as her eyes rested on him.

"But you said you're 16 and you don't look big enough to fit it…" Susan said sniffling.

"Hey!" Edward shouted about to go on a rant but Susan had started crying waterfalls. "Ah, geez," he said getting up off the bed and walking over to her. "Ah, there, there," Edward said nervously as he gently patted her left shoulder.

"Uwaaaaaah!" Susan cried even harder as she reached out and hugged Edward. Afterward it only took a few minutes for her to calm down. "Get off me!" Susan said pushing Edward with enough force so that he hit the flood with a thud. "I'm not a little kid."

"Why you little-," Edward started popping up off the floor onto his feet. "Then what are you then?" He asked angrily.

"I'm a sophisticated woman." The little girl replied then turned her attention to carefully refolding the dress and placing it back into its box.

Edward sighed. "Yeah, whatever. What's with you and that dress anyway?"

"It was my mom's. It was her prettiest dress and when she died I visited her grave and promised her I'd wear it for her when I was big enough so that it didn't go to waste, but it's taking so long." Susan said hanging her head. "I want to be super attractive just like mommy when I grow up." Susan smiled as she turned to face Edward with a huge smile. "That's why I need to know something…" The girl asked her expression turned serious as her eyes settled heavily on Edward.

"What coud she need to know from me?" Edward thought.

"I was thinking since it would be a while before I got taller that at least I could work on my chest."

"Huh?" Edward sweat dropped.

"So, that's why I wanted you here. I want to know your secret." Susan whispered.

"M-my secret," Edward asked not liking where he thought the conversation was going.

"You're chest is really big and hear men think that's attractive so I want to know I can have one as big as yours." Susan continued to whisper.

"What!?" Edward shouted falling over.

"Are you okay big sister Ed?" Susan asked the teenager crumpled on the floor.

"I have nothing to say." Edward responded gloomily as he got up to leave the room but Susan caught him around the waist in a vice grip.

"You're not leaving until you spill the beans!" She said becoming angry.

Irritated Edward yanked her arms from around his waist and sat her down on the bed. "Fine I'll tell you but have to promise you won't start crying again."

"Okay." Susan promised.

"Listen, some women just have big chests, but that doesn't make them more attractive."

"Huh?" Susan uttered not completely convinced.

"Listen to me Susan if a man is just attracted to you because your chest is bigger than your brain than he's a looser. You know why? Because he is more comfortable with your bra size being bigger than what's in your head, that means in actuality he's another moron scared of being shown up by a woman and people like that don't love anyone but themselves."

"Wow, she's really smart and pretty." Susan thought.

"Trust me Susan jerks like that won't do you any good." Edward finished then looked at her and sweat dropped. Susan's eyes had grown ten times their original size and were sparkling.

"Big sister Edward…"

"Y-yeah?" He answered nervously.

"I love you!" Susan said wrapping her arms around Edward in a tight hug.

Edward's heart nearly jumped out of his throat from surprise, before he patted her on the head hugging her back. "Humph, and here I was thinking she was just another brat."

"Big sister Ed, can I braid your hair later?" Susan asked cheerfully. Edward sweat dropped but agreed with a nod and a mumbled 'yeah'. "Really? Great! I'll be back soon she said hopping off the bed and running out of the room. Sighing Edward laid down and went to sleep.



It was only seconds later that Susan burst into the room Alphonse was in startling him just as he was about to take a nap himself. "Oh! Susan." He said surprised.

"I have to know if he's as smart as his sister is." Susan thought suddenly becoming nervous. "Um, uh, I, um, uh." Susan stuttered as she walked slowly over to him.

"It's okay you can ask me." Alphonse reassured with a smile.

"You know!?" Susan exclaimed.

"Well you kind of looked like you wanted to ask me something." Alphonse sweat dropped.

"Well um…" Susan asked taking a step closer then tripped.

"There you go." Alphonse said catching her then sitting her down on the bed next to him.

"Oh, he's so awesome." Susan thought blushing. "Um, do you think I should work hard at being smart or should I just concentrate on being pretty?" Susan asked looking down at her hands. "Not that I need to put that much effort into either…" She added.

"Being pretty is nice." Alphonse started causing Susan's heart to sink. "But, it's more important to be aware of the world around you and the things in it, I think." He smiled.

Susan's face formed into a large smile. "Thanks, Alphonse!" She said running out of the room and down to her grandfather's study. "I'll show him how smart I am!" She said opening up a grad school level medical book and started reading. "But these words are too big for me to understand." Susan thought as tears huge from her eyes once again. "He probably can't stand being around dumb women. I won't give up!" She said to herself pulling a medical dictionary and a regular dictionary off the shelf before sitting down to study.



~*~*~*~*~



A/N: You'll notice (if you already haven't) that whenever Alphonse says 'brother' to Edward the 'b' is capitalized. That's due to the fact that he's constantly calling Edward 'oniisan' (big brother) and I wanted to denote that difference (particularly the honorific) without constantly typing out the words 'big brother' and to avoid using any Japanese words in this fiction, which I am finding kind of difficult to do by the way. I just get these urges to type certain things in Japanese…