Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Hey all! I just wanted to make sure it was made clear that Edward is NOT a transvestite. He is completely female, with built in female hormones, and females everything from the inside out, just as if he were born that way. I just wanted to point that out since I refer to Edward as a 'he' in this story even though 'he' is clearly a full fledged 'she'. I hope this didn't cause any confusion for anyone. ^_^'

In the next chapters to come I think I will be bringing up some things the readers might have been wondering or answering questions, if anyone e-mails me with them, in my 'author's notes' at the end of the chapters. Hopefully that will clear some things up about this story and so on…



Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong

By Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter Four





Once his stomach was full Edward was liable to lie down and never get up until the next morning, or next feeding. Currently he slept on top of the covers of his bed with the left edge of his shirt pulled up revealing his stomach, a habit that irritated Alphonse who was currently standing over him with a frown on his face. "Geez, Ed." He said pulling down his shirt and putting the covers over him.

"Now let's go someplace special, where they have roller coasters and lots of junk food. Let's celebrate…" Edward said talking in his sleep. Alphonse paused to listen to him as he did when trapped in the armor. Sometimes the things his brother said during the night made him want to cry and other times it was just ridiculous nonsense and mischievous ranting that made him want to reach over and punch Edward in the jaw. This time however was one of the times that the words that came from Edward's mouth made him want to cry.

"We finally got our bodies back." Edward said and even though he was asleep the reality of the waking world seeped in turning his dream into a nightmare and he begin to cry in his sleep. Attempting to calm his sleep sobbing brother Alphonse put his right hand over his forehead and in a matter of seconds Edward calmed down.

"Don't worry Brother; I'll do whatever I can to get you back to normal again." Alphonse swore.

Just as Alphonse was about to leave Edward sat up slightly and grabbed his brother's arm hugging it. "Mother, I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Edward repeated over and over again. Alphonse stood there with tears in his eyes not knowing what to do.

"I just wanted you to know that we still love you." Edward said letting go of his brother's arm and falling back onto the bed.

While in the armor there were many nights that Alphonse found himself hurting for his brother, but not like this. Before he couldn't shed tears and now that he could it just didn't seem like enough. It was a relief that he could finally express the pain he was feeling, but despite having cried plenty since returning to his original form it just seemed no matter how many tears he shed the sorrow would never end. Now he understood why Edward kept such a tight lock around his feelings, why we would not consciously allow himself to cry, because he knew if he started he might not ever stop. Tucking Edward back in Alphonse held himself together long enough to make it back to his own bed to silently shed his tears until the next morning.



Susan stood nervously at Alphonse's room door. When she woke up she had begged her grandfather to let her help with his work and even though he thought she was still too young he knew the passion his grand-daughter had for science, medicine in particular, so he gave her a simple task as a test and if she passed then he'd allow her to assist him. Giving her antiseptic, along with a few other things he told her to go change Alphonse's bandages. Susan took the supplies eagerly but now, standing outside the closed door she wanted to run away. Taking a deep breath Susan opened the door and walked in quietly. Alphonse was still asleep and she didn't want to wake him yet just incase she decided to run, because after all he could change the bandages himself, she could just quietly sit what he needed down on the table and leave but she knew her grandfather would be upset and disappointed in her so she crept over to the other side of the bed as quietly as she could so that she could see his face. Alphonse lay on his side with his back to the door and the only way to get a better view was to either wake him up or walk around to the other side.

"Oh, what if the antiseptic stings too much or what if I mess up and do something to hurt him? If that happens he'll think I'm the worst doctor and person in existence." Susan thought as she closed her eyes and tears feel like rivers down her face. Opening her eyes she had finally gathered the courage to wake him up, but found herself just staring at him instead. "Wow, he's so handsome." Susan thought leaning closer to his face.

"Good morning, Susan." Alphonse said fully awake but eyes still closed.

"AAAAAAAAAAGH!" Susan screamed and throwing everything up in the air as she jumped back. The items she was carrying in a small wooden box lay scattered on the floor. If her grandfather was home he would have been in the room in no time flat to see what all the commotion was about. As for Edward, he could sleep through an earthquake so of course he wasn't there.

Immediately Susan started gathering up everything she had dropped. "I'm sorry." Alphonse apologized. "I didn't me to frighten you. Let me help-"

"No!" Susan answered sharply cutting him off. "And you didn't frighten me I was just really surprised because I thought you were still asleep." She said keeping her head lowered so that he could not see her burnt red blushing face.

Alphonse sat on the bed nervously. Susan seemed rather angry and for some reason in that instance she reminded him of Lt. Hawkeye.

"Hmph!" Susan huffed sitting the box down on the bed. "What kind of doctor would I be if I let my patient do all the work?" She asked facing him.

"Oh I see! You're helping your grandfather today." Alphonse said cheerily.

"That's right! I sure am." Susan smiled happily.

"He said my job was to take care of your bandages and to see if the wounds were healing well." Susan said as she pulled his left leg onto her apron covered lap and started to carefully remove the bandages. "Anyway, why didn't you let me know you were awake so I could get to work?" Susan asked feeling a bit put off and embarrassed by the sudden start.

"Sorry about that." Alphonse sweat dropped. "I just woke up a minute ago when I smelled your perfume."

"Oh, really," Susan asked her face turned red again and she started removing the bandages even faster.

"Hm, hmm, it smells really nice." Alphonse added."

"It was my mom's." Susan said keeping her eyes focused on her work. When she saw how damaged his feet were she wanted to cry but doctors aren't supposed to cry so she choked it down and continued her work.

"All done." She declared once she had finish wrapping his feet in clean bandages.

"Thank you very much doctor." Alphonse said giving her a bow in his seat.

"No problem." Susan said has she left the room. Once she was outside her eyes started to swirl. "Blood, so much blood." She thought.

"Hey squirt." Edward said as he made his way to Alphonse's room. "Are you ok?" He asked noticing Susan's dizzy movements.

"I'm just fine!" She said straightening up.

"Okay." Edward said walking past her when she grabbed the back of his black jacket. "Eh? What is it?"

"Um, could you help me make breakfast?" Susan asked sweetly.

"I don't know how much help I'll be, you'd be better off with Alphonse helping-"

"No, I want you to do it, just us women." Susan insisted.

"Fine," Edward groaned not because he didn't want to help, but because the words 'us women' were used in reference to himself and a little girl.



After cleaning up and preparing breakfast with Edward's help Susan insisted that she bring the food to Alphonse, saying that he shouldn't walk around with his feet as damaged as they were. Heaping enough food on a tray for three people Susan went up stairs. Seeing that the door to his room was already cracked open she was going to go on in until she saw him take off his shirt. Susan took a step back feeling like her brain was going to explode. "Huh?" She thought feeling something wet and warm slide down her mouth, she looked down to see a trail of blood dripping into the oatmeal she had prepared for him and ran off.

Edward was still in the kitchen when Susan cam crashing in. Quickly she sat the tray down, grabbed a piece of paper towel to stuff in her left nostril, and then dumped the oatmeal into the trash. After washing her hands she ran over to where Edward was sitting, as he greedily ate his food, and attempted to snatch his portion of oatmeal away. Just as seemed she was going to just take the food and run Edward grabbed up the bowl before her fingers could even touch it. "What are you doing?" He asked eyes narrowed.

"Please, just give it to me." Susan pleaded her eyes watering up. Edward couldn't stand seeing the little girl cry and handed it over with a heavy sigh.

"Take it." Edward said pushing the bowl over to her then continued eating what was left of the food before him. Susan took the bowl and the tray and happily ran off.

Once again approaching the door Susan's arms begin to shake. What if she has another nose bleed? Gulping and closing her eyes she carefully pushed the door open. "I brought you something to eat." She said coming into the room. Opening one eye she could see that Alphonse was fully dressed and gave a small sigh of relief.

"Thank you very much." Alphonse said taking the tray for the little girl. "Have you eaten yet, Susan?"

"Actually no I haven't." Susan answered after quickly turning around to take the piece of paper towel out of her nose and stuffed it in her pocket.

"Would you mind eating with me?" Alphonse asked with a hopeful smile.

"I, um…" Susan said nervously taking a step back and wondering if you had taken the paper towel out too soon.

"This sure is a whole lot of food. I don't think I can finish it all by myself and I'd love it if you'd stay and keep me company." Alphonse said his gaze settling gently on her.

In Susan vision his hopeful gaze was blown way out of proportion as he seemed to shine in her eyes. "Okay." Susan answered happily taking a seat next to him on the bed. Alphonse smiled at her and she felt her face grow beat red. Putting her hands to her face as if she were washing it Susan let out a frustrated groan. "Hurry up and eat it before it gets cold." Susan said haughtily.

"Yes, ma'am." Alphonse responded picking up the fork. "Hmm, what should I eat first?" He asked. Susan's face turned even redder. Alphonse sweat dropped as he looked at her. "Is there something the matter?" He asked the frowning little girl.

"No!" She answered turning away. "I mean, no." Susan said a considerably calmer tone. "I, um just think you should try the oatmeal first. I made it from scratch." She said her cheeks a soft rose color as she spoke.

"Okay then." Alphonse said putting down the fork and picking up the spoon. "Mmm, good." He said after eating a spoon full.

"Really," Susan asked her eyes shining.

"Hm, hmm," Alphonse nodded. "You should have some too."

"Okay." Susan said pulling a spoon out of her other pocket and started eating with him. She was in heaven.



~*~



To Be Continued…