Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Scars ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
 
Chapter 7: Scars
 
I moved to have him stand before me. Slowly I reached out and took hold of the compact. Al stopped what he was doing to look down at it. I heard him take in a sharp breath when he saw what I was looking at. “But Ona, what happened?”
 
I shook my head and opened the latch. Inside, the metal was blank, the blood seal was gone. “I'm not sure Alphonse.”
 
As I lifted the necklace I could see that the shirt had been torn somehow. He winced for a second but didn't say anything. Concerned I lifted the shirt to have a closer look. A simple blush shouldn't have caused pain.
 
“Ona, what is that?” His hands held up his shirt as he looked down at his chest. “Is it bad?”
 
I shook my head and placed a hand against it causing him to flinch again. “It's a burn mark, where the blood seal must have entered your body.” I looked up into his troubled eyes, then smiled. “It's alright. It just had to become a part of you. Now you won't have to worry about the chain.”
 
He smiled and let the shirt fall back down into place. “Then I'm human now? Really?” His eyes were hopeful and full of the innocence of childhood.
 
“Yes my dear one, you're a real little boy.” I put a hand on his shoulder. “But we will have to put some lotion on that burn.”
 
Al took another look in the mirror then nodded. He led the way up the stairs. Carefully I looked out before allowing him to open the hidden door, which led to the living room. He looked around in wonderment before turning to the windows.
 
“It's wonderful.” He breathed, his hand still in mine. His face beamed with a joy I'd forgotten existed. It made me brighten too.
 
 
I gave his arm a short tug and he followed me into the kitchen where we found Clem. I knew he'd want some coffee. He's such an addict. Al followed behind me but stopped when we reached the doorway. He sniffed the air and looked round.
 
Lori was busy cooking breakfast. On the stove were eggs, sausage, and bacon. The biscuits were fresh from the oven. A small stack of pancakes had been made for the two sets of triplets.
 
“Good morning.” She greeted over her shoulder. “Are you hungry?” Her question was directed toward the new boy in her kitchen, who was still sniffing the air.
 
He nodded with a wide grin. “Yes, thank you.” Already he was rubbing his stomach. The body had been supplied through an IV, but had been taken off it last night. Now Al seemed happy to be hungry.
 
“Don't over eat.” I warned, escorting him to the table. “She's a great cook so you have to be careful.”
 
Al smiled up at me. His grin was much the same as the one I'd seen in the photos of his brother. “But Ona, it all smells so good!”
 
He was like a child brought from the darkness into the light. I wanted so much to show him the world he'd been missing for so long. Yet I knew that soon we would have to find his brother. That, I was sure, would be an adventure all its own.
 
“Pancake!” The eldest triplets chimed banging their hands in unison against the table. They were only two years old but already knew how to get their breakfast.
 
“Here's one for Alphonse and one for each of my angels.” Lori passed out the pancakes before offering Al the syrup. She touched his shoulder and warned, “Don't let the triplets get the bottle or there'll be a mess!”
 
Already he had a bite in his mouth but nodded a `thank you'. I sat next to him and watched as he enjoyed the meal. Clemont had to prod me so I'd remember to eat my own breakfast.
 
Al didn't gulp, but rather took great care in enjoying each bite to the fullest. He would close his eyes and chew, allowing all of the flavor to soak in before swallowing. Then he'd carefully cut another piece and repeat the process. Every now and then he'd take a sip of the milk Lori had poured for him.
 
 
After we were done eating I showed him the way up to the attic. Clemont told me where to find another shirt and some other clothes Al could have. Each room we passed through was another chance to see something new. He even made mention of the way the different floors felt beneath his feet.
 
 
He plopped down on the bed and breathed in deeply. A smile was wide across his face as he looked around the small room. His eyes glowing with wonder and newness.
 
“Alright, time to look at that burn mark.” I told him, lifting the ruined shirt over his head. It was the full pattern in red across his small white chest.
 
“I'd forgotten all about that.” Al looked down at it then touched the red markings. “I guess I'll have a scar from it.” He didn't sound sad, it just seemed he was making a statement.
 
“Well,” I took out the tube of medicine I'd retrieved from the bathroom. “Look at it as a type of birthmark.” The coolness of the lotion made him shiver. “Or you could say it's a tattoo.”
 
He laughed. “Yeah! Wait until brother sees! He's gonna…” Al's face fell and he looked away from me. The light had quickly dimmed in his eyes when realization hit him. “He's old now, isn't he?”
 
I couldn't help but scowl at his remark. Edward was the same age as I was. I had told the child that. Now it seemed that he thought I was old. Which I certainly would not stand for! “Are you calling me old?”
 
“No!” He shook his head quickly and put his hands up before him. Aware of his mistake, his eyes large and apologetic. “I didn't mean that it was just that…”
 
“You are calling me an old woman!” I laughed, leaning toward him. “And now you're going to have to pay!” I began tickling him, just as I had done with my brother when we were young.
 
“No!” He yelled. “Stop!” His laughed echoed throughout the room as he squirmed, trying to get away. “I give! You're not old!”
 
I stopped but we both kept laughing. He was a child, who'd never gotten the chance to go through childhood. Even his younger memories had been taken from him. Now he'd have to experience life all over again.
 
He sighed then turned to me. “You're really great Ona… Like a big sister.” My eyes closed as a smile spread across my lips. I'd had a little brother who was a lot like Alphonse. Emery had been a full five years younger than I was.
 
 
Memories pulled me back through the years. A five year old sat on the swing as I pushed him. His short brown hair swaying in the wind. “Higher sissy!” He called to me.
 
I pushed with all my ten year old strength, as his laughter filling the air. My eyes showed bright with excitement as we played.
 
 
“Come on sis, play with me.” Emery had begged when he was ten. He held a board game before him. I lay on my bed in our two story home. “Please. We used to have fun.”
 
“I'm fifteen now!” I rolled my eyes at him. “I don't have time. Get out!” I'd stood and moved to the door, slamming it in his face.
 
“Ona?” He called to me. “Ona?”
 
 
I shook my head. It was Al's voice. “Ona? Are you ok?” His eyes watched me closely as I brushed away the few tears that had surfaced.
 
“Yeah Al.” I tried to smile. “Just remembering is all.” Then I tickled him once more, as a way to change the topic quickly.
 
“Hey!” Alphonse was laughing again. “No fair!” He struggled against me.
 
I stopped and laughed. “You've got to get a shirt on.” Moving to the boxes I reprimanded myself mentally. Al didn't need to know about what had happened. He thought I was a good person. He didn't know I'd let down my own little brother.
 
“Here catch!” I tossed him a shirt and he caught it. Then turning back to the box I found several sets of clothes that would fit him. Pulling them out in the bottom of the box I found an old photograph, I hesitated.
 
It was myself along with Emry, Lori, and Clemont. We had posed for the camera during a town picnic. I remember that day. I was fourteen. These are the old clothes mom gave Lori's parents for her brother. I guess they never used them.
 
“How does it look?” I turned to see Al, standing on the bed and posing like a wrestler. “Does it make me look readying to take on life?”
 
I laughed, “You look good.” Then I moved to put the clothes back and take the whole box. Lori would have known where these came from. “Are you ready to go back to my place?”
 
“Is it far?” He plopped back on the bed. Then he bent over and started pulling on a pair of boots Clemont had given him.
 
“Not very.” I told him, lifting the box from atop the others. I didn't want to look in the rest, though my friends had told me I was welcome to. Memories had become my enemies, and I had to keep them at bay.
 
“Alright then, I'm ready!” Al agreed, standing and raising his arms over his head, stretching. “Let's go!” He couldn't wait to try out his legs. His energy was endless for the time being.
 
He's going to fall over exhausted tonight. I laughed to myself as I showed him the way home.
 
 
 
Author's note:
I'm not sure how big the blood seal is supposed to be... oh well.