Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Our Brothers ❯ Wonder of Senses ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Our Brothers
By: joyfulmusic
 
I do not own Fullmetal Alchemist. None of it… Ain't that just so sad?
Warnings: A few small spoilers. There are some thoughts of suicide, and there will be an eating disorder... or two.
 
Chapter 8: Wonder of Senses
 
The walk home was a long one. Al wanted to see, smell, and touch everything around us. Every little flower meant so much to him. “Ona, look at this one!” He'd stopped to touch another. “Isn't it beautiful?”
 
“Yes, it's lovely.” I was still carrying the box of clothes. Looking at him I could have sworn I saw my own brother. He was so kind and gentle. Everything had so much meaning in his eyes. I could remember back to walks with Emery that would take so long. I had rushed him many times. Now, I wouldn't rush Alphonse.
 
“Look.” He whispered, pointing to a rabbit as it sat out in a field. It was standing perfectly still because it had seen us. “It's so cute.”
 
I rolled my eyes. Cute, and they ate the things I tried to plant last year. But I wouldn't say it aloud to the young boy.
 
 
After a while we did finally make it back to my place. As I opened the door he looked around in wonder. “This is where you live?” He breathed.
 
I nodded with a wry smile. “It's not much, but it's home.” I sat the box down on the table. “You can sleep in my room and I'll stay in here on the couch.”
 
He was running his hands along the furniture. Touch meant so much to the boy. Something I had taken for granted so many times was a wonder to him. The heat, the cold, rough, and smooth objects, they had all been the same for so long. Now that he could sense the difference a whole world was opened up to him.
 
“This is great Ona.” His smile warmed my heart when he looked at me. “But where does your family stay? When they come to see you?”
 
I turned away and pretended to be busy, so he wouldn't see the hurt in my eyes. “They're gone.” I explained. “I don't have any family.”
 
“Oh Ona!” I felt him as he latched his arms around my waist. “I'm sorry, I didn't know.” His sincerity was that of a child. It was pure and unrehearsed by the years.
 
I turned in his grip so that he was at my side. My hand stroked his hair before I hugged back. “It's alright.” I whispered. “It happened a long time ago.” I stroked his head again.
 
He's so kind. So compassionate for his age, so much like… like Emery. I managed to quell the tear which threatened to fall. Now wasn't a time for sadness. Al was complete again, it was a time for celebration.
 
“Alright.” I unhooked his arms and pulled away. “Now, what are we going to do to celebrate?”
 
His pale face looked up into mine. “Celebrate?” From his expression I could tell that questions were filling his mind. “Celebrate what?”
 
“You!” I laughed. “Life! Anything you want. Let's just have fun for the sake of having fun!” My smile was genuine. “How about we fix a cake?”
 
“Yeah!” His eyes were glowing with happiness. Now he would be able to not only taste the cake, but enjoy being able to make it as well.
 
 
I pulled out a box mix. “This is as much of a scratch cake as you're going to get in this house.” Showing it to him he laughed. “Go the icebox and get… three eggs, and the butter.”
 
He opened the icebox and then the carton of eggs. His hands were still clumsy from newness so he accidentally dropped one. Al looked up at me with sorrowful eyes. “I… didn't mean to.”
 
I'd been putting on an apron but turned to see what was wrong. Looking at the egg I laughed. “Well, toss me another.”
 
The boy's face went from confusion to excitement in a moment. A smile crossed his face as he took out another egg. He tossed it up into the air. I managed to catch it in the apron. Then I placed it on the cabinet. “That's one!” I laughed.
 
He tossed another, this time I caught it with my hands. I sat it next to the other. “That's two.” The third one I fumbled on, letting it splatter to the floor. Al paused a moment, then I laughed. “Well are you going to try for three or not?”
 
Alphonse threw another that I managed to catch and set next to the others. Then I turned and pulled a towel from one of the drawers. Kneeling down I began to wipe up the mess. Al knelt beside me, laughing. “That was fun.”
 
“Yeah.” I agreed, smiling. “Just don't try juggling them. I did when I was little. The mess was everywhere!”
 
We both laughed as I continued to clean. Then we stood and he retrieved the butter as I got out a bowl for mixing. Al opened the cake mix and dumped it in. I measured out the water and butter, letting him add them. Lastly I broke the eggs and put them into the mixture.
 
“Here.” I told him, holding out a spoon. “You mix while I get the cake pan ready. And… Oh I forgot to turn on the oven!”
 
“Ona.” He murmured, as we continued. “Thanks.” I turned to look back at him. He was concentrating on mixing the cake batter. “I'm having a good time.”
 
“Yeah I know.” I went back to my own task. “You thought I was old and wouldn't be any fun.” I was joking now and he laughed.
 
We poured the batter into the pan carefully. Then I slid it into the oven and turned back to see Al putting up the butter. “Hey don't do that!” He looked back at me, butter still in hand. “We have to make the icing.”
 
I straightened and closed the oven door. Then I got down the jar of powdered sugar. “Grab another bowl.”
 
Bending down to find another one from under the cabinet he asked, “Do I need to wash the measuring cup?” He turned and looked back at me questioningly.
 
I shook my head, my hair falling in my face as I did so. “No, I'm not sure how much of each.” He seemed to be puzzled. “I just mix until the flavor tastes right.”
 
He laughed and opened the butter. We mixed about half and half. Then we added a little too much sugar. After that too much butter. We ended up with more icing than we would need for our one cake.
 
“Well.” He questioned laughing. “What do we do with all of it?” I took out a spoon and scooped up a glob before holding it out to him. A smile spread over the child's face as he took it. Slowly he licked it, savoring the new flavor.
 
“We'll freeze the extra and use it later.” I got a spoonful for myself. This was time to celebrate, not worry about nutrition.
 
 
That afternoon, sometime after lunch, we had cake and punch. His voice was full of cheer. “This is the best cake ever!” I smiled across at Al. He was so full of life that my memories wouldn't stay suppressed.
 
 
“Sissy! Look I made cupcakes with mom!” Emery had been seven at the time, holding out a tray to me. Pride glowed in his eyes. “And I put chocolate chips in them!”
 
“Hey that's great!” I'd taken one and tasted the homemade icing. “Too much butter.” But I didn't frown at him. I had simply kept eating.
 
He'd smiled up at me. “I know, we ran out of sugar.”
 
 
“Ona?” I snapped back to reality. Alphonse was watching me with worry. “Isn't it the best ever?” His eyes had clouded, just a bit.
 
I ruffled his soft hair. “Of course it is.” My smile returned. “The very best!”
 
The boy grinned, and picked up his fork with cake on it. “To life!” He toasted. I agreed lifting my fork then taking a bite. He was watching me carefully. “Not too much butter?”
 
A pain struck my heart. “No, not too much butter.”
 
 
That night I tucked the child in. He had spent his energy to the very last, and fallen asleep on the living room floor. I had to carry him to bed. He looked so peaceful, a smile on his pale face.
 
I walked back to the living room and took a seat, then picked up the phone. “Hello this is Ona. Yes… How's he doing?” I waited as the voice on the other end spoke with someone. “I understand. When can I? Yes of course, I understand but…” Tears welled up in my eyes. “I've told you I can't get a bigger place. I understand what you're saying it's just that… yes fine. Goodbye.”
 
With the click of the phone my heart and head fell. I wanted to do so much, but no one would let me. Can't even do that right. How on earth am I supposed to be able to help Al?
 
 
 
Author's notes
That is a way to fix icing. I think it is half butter half powdered sugar. I never get it perfect on the first try.