Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Sunshine Dreams ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 5:

Roy was late, leaving Ed's hotel room around 7:00, half an hour after he was supposed to be at work. He walked with Ed as far as the library, which left him, unfortunately, with five minutes to contemplate the last eleven and a half hours. It didn't take long for him to realize that his thoughts sounded like that of a teenager's. He tried to force himself to think about work, but every couple of minutes his mind turned back to Edward, and he found it nearly impossible to think about much anything else. At the office he walked through the door despondently, forlornly pouring himself a cup of coffee, before proceeding into his inner office, where he got some paperwork done. He found himself thinking about Edward every few minutes, and eventually just stopped and wondered exactly how crazy he was. In fact, now that he thought about it, everything that had recently happened seemed like a dream. Maybe Edward had hit him instead of kissing back, and everything since he woke up this morning was a hallucination. With this conclusion reached, Roy decided it would be best that he took a nap to clear his head, and to catch up on the sleep he'd lost due to being only an hour late for work. He stretched out on the couch facing the unlit fireplace and fell asleep. He dreamt of the night before, only when he closed the door to Ed's room, it sounded loud, and suspiciously like someone taking the safety off a gun. Which it probably was. He opened his eyes, slowly, and stared into the barrel of Riza's favorite.
"Yes, Lieutenant?"
"You should not be sleeping, sir. I'm sure your superiors would be displeased if you could not do your paperwork," she said. She put the safety back on her gun and slid it into the holster at her hip.
"I'm sure. Five more minutes?"
"I'm afraid not, sir. These documents are urgent."
Roy sighed and sat up, stretching, and rubbed at his eyes. "Are you sure I can't take just a small nap?" he asked, knowing full well that he already had.
"You've been asleep for an hour. I think you've rested enough."
Sighing again, he got up and sat back in the chair behind his desk. Riza set the papers in front of him and he picked up his pen and started reading. He'd just finished reading the third line for the tenth time when the door banged open. An uneven stride marched up to his desk, and mismatched hands slammed into it, deepening the dent that Ed's automail hand had made over time.
"May I help you?" he asked, his mask safely in place.
Ed looked at him through his bangs, looking helpless, and whispered, "Last night. It happened, right?"
Roy's mask slipped a bit, and something nervous showed through. "I hope so. Joint hallucinations aren't exactly healthy."
Ed frowned at him, then grinned and spoke at normal volume, "These arrays are pathetic! The guy based his theory off of pure myth, and they won't even activate." He flopped down on the couch, smiling, and said, "Couldn't you have given me something else?"
Roy smiled back.

Good? Bad? Thoughts and flames are more than welcome, but thoughtless flames will be used to keep warm in the winter.

I disclaim all characters, the anime and manga, and so on so forth.
Converting /tmp/phpwuYIuP to /dev/stdout