Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Heart's Confession ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 8—Heart's Confession
 
Edward was silently fuming that his face was turning red.
 
“As if you're any less stubborn than I am, right?” Roy reached up and tugged a loose strand of her hair playfully. “This was all I really came in here to say. I had to tell you what was going on.” He really thought it best that he should go now, or else he would be tempted into staying in here for another reason. This situation was a little bit different than when Winry came to Central for that brief visit. This was her grandmother's house, who didn't exactly favor most soldiers. Sure, she never treated them badly, but Roy could tell that the woman would not appreciate him romancing her granddaughter here in the woman's own house. “It's getting late. I should let you get some sleep.” He passed by her and gripped the door handle.
 
“No!” Winry cried out in desperation. In a quick move she lunged forward and wrapped her arms around his middle. Her eyes were closed so tight in her anguish while pressing into his back, where she buried her face into him as much as she could.
 
`Not now, Winry don't…' he didn't want to give into her worry. He had to be strong; he had to fulfill his atonement. Roy closed his eyes and dropped his hand from the door knob. He sighed and his body relaxed as she continued to hold onto him almost as if he would simply fade away. One of her hands moved up to where his heart was beating and she pressed even tighter. “You should let go, Winry. With you holding onto me like this it makes me want to do naughty things to you.”
 
“How can you make a joke at a time like this?” She buried her face into the soft material of his uniform, his scent wrapped around her like a warm blanket and she sighed deeply.
 
“I had to do something to lighten your worry and sadness.” He turned his head to glance behind him and he nearly lost all his resolve in going after Bradley at the way she was pressed against him, the expressions he could see when she shifted and rested her cheek against his back. “Winry, I know you understand why I need to do this.”
 
“I do, I do understand.” She swallowed hard. “Your ultimate goal is to become the Fuehrer so that you may change things for the better and keep those promises you made to friends and people who lost their lives all because of control. That you feel responsible for. And I admire you for that. I still support your decision. It's just… I have a really bad feeling.” A frigid, pounding ache continued to surge within her heart.
 
Now that was something he was not expecting to hear. He turned around in her arms and Roy found her staring up at him with an expression of fear and worry, “a bad feeling?” he asked curiously.
 
Winry nodded, “I don't know how to explain it but it feels like something terrible is going to happen and you're…” She closed her eyes tightly and dropped her chin. She felt fingers in her hair but did not look at him, she couldn't.
 
Roy then cupped her cheek, his thumb brushing against her lips and Winry made a soft noise. “Nothing is going to happen to me, Winry. Everything will be fine. I'm not going to be alone in this, I will have assistance. So you don't need to worry.”
 
“But I do, I worry so much.” She softly replied, finally looking up at him. Her sapphire eyes searched his dark and knew what she needed that will ease to some small degree her terrible thoughts and worried feelings. “Can you do something for me?” She noticed the look on his face indicating he was waiting for her to continue. Taking a deep breath, she said, “I want you to promise that you will come back here. I need to see you on my doorstep… alive.”
 
“Winry…” He started to say, knowing that it was practically impossible to make that kind of promise, but Winry roughly shook her head.
 
“Promise,” Her tone was firm. “Please…” Confidence was leaving her; she wanted him to come back here alive. In other words, he was promising her that he was going to survive this plan of his.
 
His fingers stroked her cheek and he let a small smile curve against his lips, “All right.” Perhaps if he did make this promise he could destroy the possible Homunculus and survive, since she would be that important reason for him to succeed. “I promise to come back here.” Even if she was sad, Roy saw her eyes brighten.
 
They did not hear the tiny footsteps outside Winry's bedroom door, or the slightly upturned smirk about the face of the one eavesdropping. It would be a bad thing if one did not know everything that happened under her own roof…
 
Roy made to turn and leave but Winry gripped his arm, tightening her fingers about his sleeve and halting his movement. He really wanted to do the honorable thing for the first time in his life and she was making it really difficult. The way the warmth of her body which lulled him in, the heavenly scent of her… he had no willpower at all. He could never resist the pull of wanting all of her. He never wanted to treat her like all the others in the past, she meant way more than that to him. “Winry, if I don't leave this room now, I won't be able to—”
 
“Don't then,” She interrupted, her face heating. “You don't have to; you can stay here with me... for as long as you want.”
 
“For as long as I want, hmm?” Roy smiled so lightly, `How about forever?' “That is a lovely offer. I don't think I'd ever be able to pass it up.” He cupped the back of her head and while at the same time, he slowly bent and pulled her mouth to his and taking her lips, molding them with his own and he felt her squeeze her hand around the sleeve of his uniform.
 
Noticing that Edward's face was looking a little green, “What is really bothering you about it, Edward?” Trisha asked. “Is it the fact that she has moved on? You did say you didn't want her to always wait for you, or was I mistaken?”
 
Edward stared at the floor, “I did say that, it's true. She does need to think about herself. But I always thought she had more sense than to fall for a womanizing jerk that would just lead her on until he got tired of her. I don't trust Mustang with anything, especially with my friend's heart! She deserves better! And when I get back there I will tell her so!”
 
“What if there was no way to get back home, Edward?” Trisha placed her hand on her son's shoulder, “She would make her decisions for herself. You really have no say in what she does and you wouldn't be able to protect her from heartbreak should it occur for her. She would make her own mistakes regardless if you were there or not. You also need to realize which you did in the previous layer of your heart's fear is that all of this…” She gestured to the entire scene, “has already happened, there is nothing you can do to change any of this.”
 
Sighing, Edward nodded and looked towards his brother, who indeed looked a little consoling. Alphonse always managed to give off a positive and helpful air, no matter what, even when he had been attached to a suit of armor.
 
Trisha smiled at her boys. “I am going to step outside for a bit and let you two face this.”
 
“That's just what Hughes did,” Edward crossed his arms tightly now feeling irritated because he had a feeling what was going to come.
 
“I know,” Trisha squeezed Edward's shoulder. “Some things you need to face without me and you have your brother here with you. He's important to the fact of moving on to the next layer of your heart's fear.” She left the room.
 
“She knows how uncomfortable we get and she doesn't want to embarrass us, unlike what Hughes did.” Alphonse replied red faced and moved over to one of the work tables.
 
Edward grabbed at his face and growled at the fact that Winry and that bastard were going to… “Not again! Every time Winry and Mustang see each other… it's horrifying and disgusting!” He closed his eyes tightly as he heard something hit the floor, and another. There was a wrestling of clothing. He heard a soft sigh from his younger brother and Edward moved his hands from his face and looked to where Alphonse was standing. He was leaning on one of the work tables, with his chin resting in his hand which was propped up by his elbow with this dreamy expression on his face. “What's with that look?!” He pointed roughly at Alphonse.
 
Smiling lightly, Alphonse took a glance at his brother. “It's just really nice, that's all.” And with another sigh he turned his gaze back to Winry and the Colonel. “You can see just how much affection there is here. You can definitely tell that they…”
 
Edward slapped his palms over his ears, “Don't you say it!”
 
“Love one another.” Alphonse said anyway.
 
“Al! I said not to say it!” He growled which had Alphonse lightly laugh. They both returned their gaze to the unfolding scene before them.
 
Roy had sat down on the bed and Winry had straddled him where her face was tinted pink. She rested her forehead against his and closed her eyes, sighing deeply while feeling his hands on her back and moving over her shoulders.
 
Letting his head fall back, Roy enjoyed the feel of her lips on his neck, slowly moving down his throat as she undid the buttons of his uniform shirt. As she parted the material in revealing his hard chest to the dark, night air, she softly covered each inch of exposed flesh with a soft touch of her arousing open mouth kisses. Roy let out a soft sigh and he squeezed her backside. It had seemed like she was taking the time to memorize him and his blood boiled, racing in his veins in a violent hot fire of need and he urged his now aching hardness up against her center, making her softly whimper and gasp.
 
He laid back, taking her with him where she hovered over him, both of her hands were on the sides of his head and she stared down at him. Her face was red from the heat of want and he wanted to see more of her. “My sweet, beautiful, Winry.” He whispered so quietly and a small smile caressed Winry's lips and she lifted her hand, touching his cheek with her index finger.
 
“Remember what you…” She stared to say, but was interrupted when Roy pulled her close and she laid her cheek on his chest.
 
“I won't forget,” Roy slid his hands up her sides and gripped the hem of her blouse and started to lift it up.
 
“Ugh!” Edward closed his eyes, “This is disgusting. Is she really that desperate?” There was a strange nagging feeling, telling him that this had nothing to do with desperation and he tightened his closed eyes, trying to chase that feeling away. He heard more clothing hit the floor and he opened one eye to see the last remaining clothing which happened to be her panties, they were slid off her hips and tossed to the floor. Edward felt his face heat bright red.
 
Rolling her over on her back, Roy now hovered over her. “I really did not expect coming here, you know?”
 
“I know that, I wasn't sure if I would ever see you again.” She replied, “You make it really hard to move on.”
 
Roy smirked, “What if I didn't want you to move on. I want to keep you all for myself.”
 
Softly giggling, she shook her head in amusement. “You're such a tease.” Winry gasped when he cupped her breast, while his other hand moved down her belly and between her thighs.
 
“You're wet for me, Winry.” His voice was deep in her ear, as he stroked her, his fingers brushing against the jewel of her body and he heard her gasp. “This is just for me, isn't it? I doubt you could make yourself this moist.”
 
“Uh…” Winry leaned her head back as the amazing sensations raced through her body, her soft pants, she urged her hips against that talented hand of his and she heard him snicker so lightly.
 
Roy nuzzled the side of her neck, “All this is mine. All of you, it's all for me.” He moved between her thighs so that he pressed against her very moist center. “It is not the same at home without you there,” He said softly now. “You've changed everything, and even though coming here was not planned, I will enjoy this moment, it might even be my last one with you.”
 
She wrapped her legs about him and shook her head, “Don't talk like that, you promised you'd come back here.” Winry moaned as she felt his hard length slide inside her.
 
“Yes, yes I will.” He panted and thrust slowly into her, wanting this to last. He wanted to remember her this way, the way she felt everything for him, her body melting into his, the movements and sounds of pleasure caused by him. He moved harder into her and she whimpered in bliss. This was what he needed… the need in becoming all he could for her, a better man, a worthy man. His hands slid up her body, touching and arousing her, rubbing every inch he could feel. Her skin was so soft, and Roy licked at her pulse point and she made a soft mewl, her arms winding around him, holding him close, her fingers moving up and into his hair, holding him to her as she shifted against him.
 
He will succeed. He will come back here for her. It was a promise.
 
****
 
Winry sighed, she felt his tiny kisses on her back and shoulder and she snuggled closer to him with a soft smile. It was still dark out. She wondered what time it was. She took a small glance over her shoulder and found that Roy was more engrossed with her body than what she had in her hand. She lightly smirked and pulled his State Alchemist watch from beneath the blanket and looked at it in awe. `oooh. I never got to see Ed's he got so mad at me, and Major Armstrong wouldn't let me see his either. But this time, heh, heh, I'll be extra sneaky.' She opened it and that tiny noise seemed to alert Roy for he shifted.
 
“What are you doing?” He pulled the blanket back and found her hand wrapped around something silver. He knew exactly what it was. “And just how did you get that, hmmm?” Roy gripped her hand.
 
“Well,” Winry grinned sheepishly, she had seen the silver chain in the pocket of his pants on the floor beside the bed and she had reached down and pulled it from the pocket. “Oh come on, let me see it.” She felt him pull it from her hand and he sat up, as did she. “I just wanted…”
 
Roy stared her in the eyes, “Will you be careful with it?” Winry nodded and he lightly smiled. Leaning forward, he placed the watch back in her hand.
 
Reaching over, Winry switched on the lamp and glanced at the watch, she had several small tools in her hand and immediately took to unscrewing the small screws. She opened it up and saw the tiny wheels turning. “Oooh, this is so exciting, I can't believe it. Look how it moves; this is definitely the work of a genius.” Her eyes narrowed slightly, “hmm, this looks a little loose.” She took the small screw driver and tightened the small piece. “There we go. What an amazing piece of machinery, it's so beautiful.” Her tone was elevated and she sounded so happy. She looked right at him and noticed a fond expression on his face. “What?”
 
His fingers moved to her hair and he lightly stroked it so it fell behind her shoulder. “I like that you get so excited over mechanical things like this.” He watched her secure the watch the way it was and she reached over and put it on the table.
 
As soon as she sat his pocket watch down, she was wrapped up in his arms and Winry couldn't help but lean against him. “Are you worried about—”
 
“Not yet,” Roy replied, knowing what she was going to say. “I still have to get to the bottom of this whole thing.”
 
“You should trust what Ed and Al say, if the Fuehrer is a Homunculus then they are not wrong. They're not ones to lie about something serious like that.” Winry said with confidence.
 
Roy gave a short nod, “You really trust them no matter what, don't you?
 
“I do,” Winry sighed. “That doesn't upset you, does it?”
 
“No.”
 
Winry glanced down at her fingers that were resting on his thighs, and she pulled back from him. “I know you didn't like me talking about them.”
 
“That was before. I had thought that I would always be second to the Elrics when it came to you.” He couldn't keep the eye contact. “But now I get the feeling that…” he shook his head, “never mind that now. I'm glad you trust the Elrics, they are your friends.” It would be wrong to assume how Winry would feel; maybe she could feel more than just affection for him, maybe she could love him? He wanted her to, so badly.
 
She leaned forward and laid her cheek against his shoulder, “I trust you too.”
 
He did smile at that comment.
 
Winry took in a deep breath. Fear was evident in her voice, “If the Fuehrer is one of those homunculi then he's extremely dangerous. He'll kill you. I know this because I've seen them. I've had first hand experience in seeing exactly what they are capable of.” Her arms wrapped around him and she squeezed him tightly, so please, be careful. I don't know what I would do if…if you...”
 
“Shh,” He stroked her chin, “Don't think about that now. I know you worry for me. It seems tonight we go back and forth between worry and confidence. But I do know that it won't be easy to take me down, you have little to worry over. I will get to the bottom of the secrets and lies of this government. Trust me, Winry. You said you did.”
 
“I trust you, Roy.” She sighed deeply. Winry loved him so much, she ached and her heart pounded, begged her to stay with him. “I trust you with my life, with everything that I am.” She felt him squeeze her to him and she couldn't help her eyes from filling with tears. “So I trust that I will see you here on my doorstep, like you promised.” She stared up at him, her chin resting against his chest.
 
He smiled and leaned down, covering her mouth with his. His tongue swept into her mouth, caressing hers and they fell together. He was pressing her down onto the mattress, Roy's hand splayed on her hip. “Want to go again?” He said suggestively.
 
With a soft giggle, her answer was a soft kiss and her legs opening to accept him. Winry moved so that her leg moved up and down his, her foot resting in the bend of his knee. She really wanted to be with him as much as she could before he left, that way in case he doesn't survive, then she would have had these last moments with someone she loved. Her eyes widened as she felt him arousing her, his mouth and tongue caressing her tender flesh of her breasts and her fingers grabbed at the back of his head, holding him to her. She had to confess her heart before he left her. He had to know the truth before he went off and got himself killed. That settled it then, tomorrow before he left she would confess everything.
 
 
Quietly, Roy left Winry's room, closing the door softly behind him. He did keep her up most of the night. It was eight in the morning, and he knew she was usually up a bit earlier. But not today, she was just so worn out and he didn't want to wake her. Roy felt bad for having to leave her like this, but he must fulfill his promises. He lifted his right foot to start walking down the hall towards the stairs.
 
“I hope you plan on keeping whatever promises you made to my granddaughter.” A calm yet serious voice said from behind him and Roy turned his head sharply. “That you aren't just playing with her heart and that your intentions with her are admirable.” Her tone was not accusing, but it was serious.
 
Even though Roy was shocked, he didn't show it outwardly. He was wondering if this woman was going to kill him. Had she known that he had been intimate with Winry? He straightened his posture. “I will do my best to keep my promises.” She couldn't have possibly known about his behavior towards Winry, if she did, no doubt that he wouldn't leave this house alive. He would never even dream about doing anything deliberately to hurt Winry, everything he was doing was for her and her own good. He will be a better man for her.
 
“I don't know exactly what happened between you and Winry when she was in Central, but I do know that she trusts you, I can see it. The way you two look at one another when you think no one else is watching... I know that even for a dog of the state you are a somewhat decent person. You are doing what is best for others than just yourself. That holds high marks with me, young man.” Pinako started to walk past him “My son and his wife knew what they were getting into, and I do know they would not really blame you, that is not what they were about. They were about helping people no matter the cost. And you, young man, are far more like them than you even realize. So keep your promises to my Granddaughter and come back to her alive.” And Pinako walked down the stairs.
 
Roy was for a small moment confused, that woman's behavior was so strange. How did she know so much without letting out a single hint that she knew everything. He would have expected her to fling wrenches at him or something, but now… it seems this woman understood far more than anyone was aware of.
 
The door to a bedroom opened and out stepped Hawkeye, she saluted. “Good morning, Sir.”
 
His reply was a nod and they proceeded to walk down the hall together.
 
After another flash of light, Edward and Alphonse found themselves still in Winry's room, but she was alone this time. Their mother was again by their side.
 
Edward walked forward, staring at as…
 
Winry had woken and found herself alone. She proceeded to get dressed in a white tank top and shorts. She assumed everyone probably needed breakfast so she brushed her hair out from the messy tangles and paid a visit to the bathroom, then made it down the stairs.
 
“Winry,” Pinako said from the living room before her granddaughter went into the kitchen. “I think I should tell you that your military friends are gone.”
 
Blue eyes widened, “What? They left already!?” She shouted in worry and rushed for the front door. She ripped it open and saw that Roy and Riza were almost to the road. Winry didn't wait, she took off after them.
 
 
I'm going to go check the cemetery for Dad.” Metal-Alphonse said.
 
“I already told you, he's long gone.” P-Edward said, staring down at the table, “but if you want to waste your time, go ahead. See if I care.” He rested his forehead on the table and heard loud footsteps and the door open and close.
 
Metal-Alphonse started walking he heard Winry's voice and he looked up, there was a strange feeling in his stomach and slowly moving up in his chest. Whatever that feeling was it seemed to wrap around his heart and squeeze hard.
 
The three of them, Edward, Alphonse and Trisha followed after Winry who looked very worried and was trying her hardest to catch up with Hawkeye and Mustang.
 
“See look, he just left her this time! I told you he was a bastard just using her!” Edward pointed roughly.
 
Winry called out to Roy and both he and Riza stopped walking, they turned around. “Wait!” Winry shouted and tripped over her feet, falling in a mindless heap on the ground.
 
“Are you all right?” Riza asked as she and the Colonel rushed over to her. Winry lifted herself to her feet; and Riza noticed the girl's red cheeks as she brushed off the dirt.
 
`That was so embarrassing!' Winry couldn't look at them as her face burned.
 
Roy looked to Hawkeye, “I need a moment.” He said and it seemed that Hawkeye understood and she took a few steps away from them. He turned back around to Winry, “I'm sorry that I left without saying anything, I didn't want to wake you.”
 
Still panting, having run from the house all the way here. “It's…it's all right. I just wanted to…I have something to... to tell you.” Her cheeks heated even brighter. This was it, she was going to tell him.
 
He waited for her to say what she wanted.
 
Winry swallowed hard, “I…” Her heart started pounding hard and she felt herself trembling, her face felt really hot. “It's just that I…I, I want you to know that I… To tell you that I, that I l—” She was silenced by his finger against her lips.
 
Edward grabbed the sides of his head as his eyes widened in shock, “no, don't say it, Winry!” He had a nagging feeling that she was about to confess something that she shouldn't. “Can't you see that he just walked out on you? He doesn't care about you, he doesn't!”
 
To Roy it seemed like she was trying to confess something really important and he had an idea of what it was. His heart seemed to swell with heavy emotion and now he knew. “Tell me when I get back.” He said softly and with a smile.
 
Her whole face seemed to light up and she nodded, smiling so brightly that it could put the sun to shame, “All right, when you get back I will tell you, I'll tell you everything.”
 
Roy stepped close to her, staring in her beautiful blue eyes that filled him with a sense of belonging and affection. “Good, because when I get back I have something to tell you as well.” He reached out and pulled her to him, bending her back so that she pressed against him. He kissed her hard and deep. Roy never wanted this to end, so sweet she tasted, so soft she felt here in his arms. This was almost heartbreaking that he would have to leave her. Her heart finally touched and wrapped around his, she was his as he was hers.
 
Riza cleared her throat, “Sir, we really need to get moving.” She looked away, trying not to stare. Rolling her eyes, Riza wasn't even sure if Mustang was even listening to her. “Sir, do you even hear me?”
 
He softly moaned and kissed Winry hotter and harder, his hand moved up into her hair where he cupped the back of her head, holding her closer as he massaged her lips, her tongue with his own. Finally, after what seemed like too short of a time, he pulled back from kissing her, his forehead resting against hers. He loved the feel of her hair as his fingers were moving her silk like locks over her shoulder while at the same time lightly stroking her cheek.
 
“I'll wait for you to come back.” Winry said in a promise of her own. “Be careful and be safe, Roy.”
 
Edward whimpered, “She's waiting for him?! What about us?” He looked to his brother and mother. He couldn't take this, it hurt too much. “She had never confessed things to us, never talked to us. Never…” He looked away.
 
“Brother, I—” Alphonse felt his mother's hand on his shoulder and he looked at her where she smiled affectionately.
 
“This is part of it, Alphonse.” Trisha squeezed Alphonse's shoulder, knowing how much her youngest son wanted to help ease Edward's mind. But this was exactly what Edward needed to feel. “Let him feel it. He needs to come to grips with this.”
 
Roy pulled back a tiny bit from her so he could look at her. He wanted to take with him the memory of her when he went after Bradley. Imagining her was how he would be able to get through this. He reached into his pants' pocket and pulled out one of his white gloves with his red alchemic transmutation circles and held it out to her. “Take this.”
 
Winry stared at it, “What? Don't you need it?”
 
“I have several pairs, so take this one for me.” His dark eyes seemed to drown in her blue as they seemed to sparkle with radiance. Winry let him place the glove in her hand and she wrapped her fingers tightly around it. “You can give it back to me when I return to you.” He said while his fingers skimmed her chin before he took a step back from her. Turning around he started walking with Hawkeye towards the road.
 
Holding the glove tightly in her hand, she held it against her breast where her heart beat heavily with ache, watching as he walked with Riza until they were out of sight. `Please stay safe, please come back.'
 
Metal-Alphonse felt violently ill. Just what had gone on, why did he feel this way? How could Winry just…she let that man kiss her? What…he was so confused, it seemed he could feel pain, pain of the heart. He didn't know what to think and he turned around and walked back inside.
 
I didn't understand it at first, Brother.” Alphonse said to Edward as he had watched his younger self trying to make sense of what had just been seen. “I didn't know how to face this, or how to tell you. So I stayed quiet. It was strange, I wasn't mad, I was just hurt and disappointed, but I never took anything out on her. You can't help who you fall in love with. Sometimes it just happens.”
 
“It does just happen,” Trisha said walking to her boys, “it wasn't easy for both Winry and Colonel Mustang. It took quite a lot for them to get to this point. What started out selfish melted away and they want to be better people for each other. They want to give more than just their hearts. The Colonel wants to be worthy of her, it had become part of the reason for his need in changing things.”
 
A bright light blinded both Edward and Alphonse and when their vision was clear the scene had changed. Edward saw himself, his metal brother and Scieszka down in the basement. He remembered this, this was when…
 
“So that's it.” Scieszka said staring down at the cement floor. “Hughes, must have figured out that much and that's why they killed him.”
 
P-Edward's heart just about stopped and rage filled his veins and pounded hard in his heart.
 
A hole seemed to burst in the floor and P-Edward rushed out. “I'll kill that bastard with my own hands.” Mustang had kept that information from him, how dare he do that!
 
Winry blocked his path, “Wait, Ed!” She held him back, “Ed, what's wrong?!” Did he find out! About her and…” She looked at Scieszka who was behind Metal-Alphonse and trying to hold him back in extreme worry, Scieszka mouthed Hughes, that didn't make Winry feel any better either. She still tried to hold him back.
 
“Let me go!” P-Edward demanded in fury as he struggled against her hold. She was stronger than she looked!
 
“It happened right after we left Central?!” Metal-Alphonse couldn't believe it, this was impossible, it had to be!
 
“Those military jackasses didn't tell us!” P-Edward noticed that Winry was still holding him back, that the look on her face gave her away. “Did you know?” He grabbed her shoulders
 
Winry looked away guiltily, “I'm sorry, I've known about it for a little while, Edward.” She was still sad over Hughes, and she couldn't really find the time to say anything to him. How do you tell someone that a dear friend has been killed? She could see that he was trying not to cry, but the pain he was feeling, she could see that as clear as crystal.
 
“There's nothing you can do, come back down stairs.” Scieszka cried out.
 
P-Edward pushed Winry from him and she landed a little roughly against the table. “You've gotta be kidding me! If Hughes got killed then it was our fault for putting him in that situation!” His heart felt like it was going to burst from his chest. “He was our friend! That damn Mustang, how dare he keep this from me, that dirty bastard, he'll do anything regardless of the pain—”
 
Pinako having heard enough comes through the door and slamming it behind her, “When are you going to grow up?!” She took a deep breath, but that did not calm her anger. She looked briefly to her granddaughter knowing how hurt she must be at all of this, the accusations from P-Edward, the worry over Mustang and his dangerous mission, the loss of Hughes who was Mustang's good friend for nearly all his life. Winry told her all about Hughes, how noble and brave the man was and she knew why this information was kept from P- Edward and Metal-Alphonse “Colonel Mustang didn't keep you in the dark out of malice you morons.” She seemed to calm a little bit. “I've heard about this Hughes guy. It sounds like he was a great man, but Mustang doesn't want you to be driven by thoughts of revenge. He wants you to realize that there are more important things in life. I bet your friend Hughes would agree.”
 
Scieszka had felt guilty; the only one to trust the Colonel the whole time had been Winry who had stared out hating the man. That should have counted for something. Scieszka felt she should have trusted him; the Colonel and Hughes were close friends. “I was wrong about him all this time. I thought the Colonel didn't care about Hughes at all, that he was only out for himself. But what if…what if he…”
 
Winry interrupted her, “He's determined to be a great man.” She sighed staring at the floor as nerves rushed through her again as well as affection dripped from her voice, “Because he promised Hughes he would. He promised so many he would,” `and he promised me.'
 
That sounded a lot like Winry trusted in the Colonel and because of that tender moment Metal-Alphonse witnessed, it made him realize something important, “So he forces himself to search for the right path, not to be taken in by thoughts of revenge.” He glanced at Winry noticing a barely there smile on her face, “He's an adult to look up to.” He caught the small smile on Winry's face, there was a light about her eyes that danced in what he could assume was her affection for the Colonel.
 
Unable to believe or accept that, P-Edward raged, “And why not revenge?! When someone who is killed who is close to you and you know who did it, how can there be anything more important to you than revenge?” His temper had reached its boiling point. “If that's being an adult then I'm never growing up!”
 
Pinako knew how stubborn P-Edward was. “You grew up when you made the decision to become a dog of the military.”
 
P-Edward glared at the floor, “That bastard, from now on I hate him.”
 
Winry and Scieszka glanced at each other in distress, Winry especially.
 
“Pretty rough on the Colonel, aren't you, Edward?” Trisha asked him and she saw her oldest son sigh. “You made it difficult for Winry to tell you anything, the way you go on like this.”
 
“You are very emotional, Brother. You always have been. You feel so much.”
 
Edward sighed, “I can't help it. I never thought about how this affected anyone other than myself. I didn't understand what the Colonel thought, he never would confess anything like that to me, unlike with Winry it seemed he told her everything. Winry… she makes people open up, she gives them reasons to fight, to live, to be better. She did all she could for us, she spoke to us and worried about us. I liked how excited she got when I changed my hair color for that disguise and when she braided my hair, even though I never told her, I should have.” He stared at Winry as the scene had changed and it was now evening. She was sitting out at the table on the porch with her chin resting in her hand.
 
“Winry?” Scieszka walked towards her, “are you all right?” She sat down in the chair across from her.
 
“Not really.” She traced her finger along the grooves in the table.
 
Scieszka sighed and leaned back in the chair looking up at the setting sun. “Who are you more worried about, Edward and Alphonse or the Colonel?”
 
Winry pulled out the glove that Roy had given to her. “I worry about all of them, they are so reckless and I just want them to be safe. Why can't Edward trust in Roy? He is a good man. I wish that Ed wasn't so stubborn, so determined to hate him. Is there really a reason to?”
 
Scieszka shrugged, “I don't know what to tell you.”
 
“At this rate, I'll never be able to tell Edward about what is going on in my life.” Winry stroked the white material of the glove, she moved her finger about the red markings. “How can I tell Ed that I love the man he hates most in the world?”
 
“So you do love the Colonel,” Scieszka smiled softly, “It sure wasn't easy though, was it? It's not like it happened right away. I don't know the details, but I do know that he makes you happy.”
 
Winry smiled and softly laughed, “No, it didn't happen right away and I'll spare you the details. But it started out really difficult. I got to know him in ways no one else could. He does want to be a better man, he does want to give back what he had taken. I had been wrong, many people are wrong in their assumptions about him. He's brave, selfless and yes, he is someone to look up to. He saved us when…well you remember the kidnapping incident.”
 
Scieszka's eyes narrowed, “All too well.”
 
“Kidnapping incident, what kidnapping incident?” Edward stared at Winry waiting for her to continue, but it didn't seem she was going to. He looked to his mother who seemed like she was concentrating on something her head was slightly tilted.
 
“It seems to me that Colonel Mustang had saved Winry and Scieszka along with a bunch of other women and girls that were going to be sold. He almost killed the ring leader, quite violently at that.” She snapped her fingers and a vision appeared:
 
“Colonel Mustang, Sir, stop. You'll kill him!” Riza shouted but she noticed the only move the man made was to hit harder, the pounding of his knuckles against bone echoed around them.  She and Havoc reached over to pull the Colonel from Travin, but he struggled and tried to fight against the pull.
 
Breda and Falman used this time to pull Travin's body from out of the range of being pummeled to death, by the looks of it he might have succeeded as Travin's body was still.  Falman reached around for a pulse point.
 
Finding it beating slowly, it seems they stepped in just in time.
 
Roy was still fighting hard in his subordinates hold, “Don't touch me!” He hollered and ripped his arms away from their tight grasp.  His body was still trembling with red hot rage and fear.  He felt a hand on his shoulder, it was Fuery's hand and Roy visibly stiffened hard, “I said…don't touch me.” His tone was very dark and very deadly and the hand was dropped from him.  Roy did not move.  He still kneeled there on the ground, his breathing very erratic with his head bowed and his hands curled tightly upon his thighs, squeezing the tender flesh of his palms with his fingernails, making bleeding cuts.
 
Maes sliced upward through the rope that bound Winry's hands and he watched as the girl turned around and slowly walked towards Roy. 
 
She fell to her knees in front of him and slowly lifted her arms which were shaking.  Winry stretched forward.  Her hands reached out, trembling, as she crawled forward the tiny sliver of distance that remained.  She hesitantly pressed both palms to either side of his face making him jump a little at the contact.  “Roy…” She said softly, a quiver in her voice and he lifted his head.  She gasped and almost pulled away at seeing blood smudging and dripping down his face as he lifted his eyes that were hard and smoldering in rage to her blue that were swelling with her tears. 
 
She was afraid of him right now.  Winry swallowed hard, her chest tightening.  Pushing that fear aside, she slowly smoothed her hands over his face and around the back of his head.  His hair was damp and she pulled him into her, cradling his face against her chest, holding him tightly.
 
Wide eyed, Roy felt his heart slam against his ribcage even when he was nestled against Winry, still breathing erratic.  He lifted his hands to her upper arms where he gripped her tightly and closed his eyes as he buried his face into her form, his hold became tighter practically bruising and she cried out sharply.  He didn't mean to squeeze so hard, but he feared that if his hold was light enough that she would disappear.  “You're safe, you're safe.” He murmured quietly so only she could hear.
 
“Yes.” She replied back just as quiet, “I'm safe.” Her arms tightened around him and she felt him breathe out long and deep and she lowered her face into his shoulder.
 
Edward sighed at what he had just seen fade away. He stared at the ground for a moment. “He saved her life? I never knew that. She never told me. I can't hate him for that, but I still don't like the guy.” That was something he couldn't be angry about, if Mustang had saved Winry from a fate worse than death, then perhaps the man wasn't quite that bad. He would rather die than admit that though!
 
“Do you think he is starting to understand, Alphonse?” Trisha asked him.
 
Smiling, Alphonse nodded, “I think he's finally understanding, at least I hope he is. The more he understands, the sooner it will be for us to make it home.
 
======
So how did you all like that episode/chapter. Pretty fluffy and touching huh? It's so sweet! Hopefully not too sweet.
 
Thanks again for reading,
Ryoko Blue