Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Understandings In Pain ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 11—Understandings in Pain
 
Good thing Edward and Alphonse couldn't feel the cold, because if they could, no doubt they would be human popsicles by now. Along with Sara, the two of them were currently standing up in the frozen northern part of the country.
 
“Why did this layer bring us to see what's going to happen here?” Edward crossed his arms in irritation. He noticed the small little house amidst the snow.
 
Alphonse shrugged, “I have no idea brother, but this layer obviously wants you to see what's going on with Mustang.”
 
“That ass,” Edward grumbled. “Where is that no good bastard anyway?” All he could see was white for miles.
 
Sara tried not to laugh at the reactions Edward had when it came to Mustang, the young man was determined to hate him for all eternity. She and the boys saw two people coming toward them wearing winter coats and hats.
 
Edward recognized Havoc and Breda…
 
“General! General Mustang, where are you. It's us.” Havoc's voice elevated slightly high pitched as he called out for the man. Both he and Breda heard movement behind them as a blob of snow up against the small house…more like shack, moved and fell to reveal just the man they had been searching for.
 
Roy Mustang, looking wet, cold and miserable turned facing the two men and saluted. “Lieutenant Havoc, Lieutenant Breda, its good to see you again.” He dropped his hand from his face. He could see the two of them trying not to stare at patch that covered almost half of his face.
 
Edward and Alphonse watched as Mustang followed Havoc and Breda inside where a roaring fire presented a warm atmosphere. The three of them had sat down and began conversation.
 
Slumping while sitting on his bench, Mustang let out a tiny breath. “Thanks for coming out, by the way you can drop the General, I gave that up.”
 
“Right, I forgot.” Havoc said with a slight smirk, “I guess we out rank you now.” He sounded slightly smug, seeing if he could get a rise out of the man, but he received a sharp jab in the side by Breda who was next to him.
 
Breda couldn't believe Havoc just said that, he should have known better. Everyone down in Central knows Mustang was practically a broken man. He turned his attention to the man across from him. “I know it was your choice, Sir, volunteering for an outpost way out here in the sticks. But still—”
 
Roy hated explaining this, it made him feel even more worthless, “I plan to do all that I can for my country in my own way. End of discussion.” He said in a tone that meant that he was not going to say anymore on the subject no matter what.
 
It seemed that Havoc and Breda both understood and glanced to the floor in understanding. They both knew what Mustang had gone through and no doubt if it happened to them, they probably wouldn't be in any better shape.
 
Blaming himself for everything, Roy stared at the floor. Edward was missing, if it wasn't for him the kid would probably have been safe at home. He ruined everything he placed his hands on; his friends were dead which also was his fault. His selfishness cost him a lot more than anyone could possibly see. So many suffered all because of him, Bradley used him and he let him. Ignorance was no excuse. Roy leaned back a little, “I haven't used alchemy since that day. I gave that up too.” He said sounding pained.
 
Staring in shock, Breda couldn't believe it. “But… you're the Flame Alchemist, Sir.” Mustang giving that up, what kind of depression was this man in?!
 
“I start to every now and then, but each time I try I see the faces of all the innocent people who died because of my mistakes.” He reached up and lightly passed his fingers over his patch, “That's what this eye sees.”
 
Edward growled, “I made mistakes too, but I still did what I could to try and correct them. He's just sitting there wallowing in self pity. That idiot.”
 
“Brother, that's not fair. You two are different people.” Alphonse looked at Mustang. “We really have no idea what he's had to deal with. We spent so many years trying to correct our past mistakes, we made Liore even worse and that resulted in Bradley using the philosopher stone.”
 
“It would have happened whether you were trying to get Alphonse's body back or not, Edward.” Sara said. “Mustang was involved and taken advantage of and he didn't even realize it at the time. All of you State Alchemists were used in furthering the progress of the Philosopher Stone. Nobody's pain is equal or more than another's. Pain is pain and you can't judge it.”
 
“What do you think Winry would do if she saw him like this?” Alphonse asked.
 
Sara looked at Mustang who had walked from the small house outside with Breda and Havoc as he talked to them a little bit more before the other two men started on their way. “This is why he didn't want to go back to her. He couldn't let her see him like this.”
 
Once the sun had set, they watched and followed Mustang back inside the small house, where the man fixed his dinner of some type of canned stew, it smelled as bad as it looked but he and sat at the table staring into the fire as he ate it silently.
 
In his dark room, Roy moved clumsily to the desk and chair by the window. From his pocket he pulled the box of matches and removing one, her proceeded to light the few candles on the desk. He sighed and leaned back in the chair as the small area around him filled with soft light. On his desk was a bottle of whisky and next to that a glass. He poured about a quarter of the golden liquid in the small, wide glass. Grabbing the glass he brought it to his lips and knocked it back. It burned his throat delightfully going down, and hopefully it would numb him on the inside. Wiping his mouth with the back of his other hand, he sat the glass back on the table and poured another swallow full.
 
He turned in his chair facing the window, looking out at the snowy world, as well as the moon hanging in the sky. It was cold and lonely, much like how he was always feeling. Resting his elbow on the table, he leaned his forehead in his hand and took in a long breath as he closed his eyes. His mind, against his better judgment, drifted back…
 
“If you were stranded on a deserted island, what three things would you want to have with you?” Winry grinned as she sat up on her knees in the comfortable bed amongst the sheets and blankets, holding a small bowl of orange slices in her lap.
 
He leaned closer to her, resting his hands on her thighsand rubbing in slight circles.“Well, I would want a clean pair of underwear, my gloves and to make a miserable experience more entertaining, you.”
 
Winry's jaw dropped, “You'd subject me to possible hurricanes, lack of food to make me suffer on a deserted island.” Her tone was shocked but amused.
 
Roy laughed, “If I have to suffer those possible hurricanes and lack of food, then there's no one else I'd rather have with me than you since you're the one who imagined and put me on thatdeserted island. I have no future plans to be anywhere near a deserted island.”
 
She giggled and swatted at him, “A clean pair of underwear.” She couldn't help it, she laughed so hard.
 
He loved hearing her laugh, “Why not?” He grinned. Having one pair only, I don't even want to think about what would build up.”
 
“Ewww,” She pushed his shoulder a little, still laughing.
 
Before Winry could pull back, Roy grabbed her arm and yanked her forward as he laid down on his back, making her curve over him. She pushed the bowl of oranges up higher on his chest so she wouldn't spill them.
 
“Careful.” She grinned, grabbing an orange slice and trailing it up and down his nose. “You hungry?”
 
“Not for food.” He smirked watching her face heat as she placed the orange slice in her own mouth and then movedthe bowl next to them on the bed.
 
After she swallowed the bite she leaned forward and rested her cheek against his chest and she felt him stroking her hair. “Do you think Ed and Al will be back soon?” she felt and heard his irritated sigh, knowing that he hated her talking about them, but this wasn't necessarily about the Elrics. “I know it might sound completely strange, but I…I don't think I want them to come back right away.”
 
Roy, immediately relaxing, glanced down at the top of her head and pressed a soft kiss to her hair understanding that she didn't want this to stop. He didn't either. Even if it was their agreement, he wanted more time. “You could tell them that you actually like me and then this really wouldn't have to stop even when the Elrics got back.”
 
She smiled, “Hmm, maybe… I'll think about it.” And she closed her eyes, soaking in the feel of him beneath her.
 
Roy shivered, he hated his thoughts, he hated remembering… of all the wonderful moments he had and still could have had, He continuously tried to push them away, but never succeeded. He grabbed at his head in frustration and pain. Whenever he thought of her he ached, he missed her, missed her voice, her scent, her conversations… he missed everything about her. This was unfair, it was cruel. He had to stick with his decision, it was better for her this way. He was no good for her. And he lifted his forehead from his hand and he spotted one of his gloves underneath the desk's shelf. He reached for it, bringing it out.
 
It was the mate to the one he had given to Winry… Winry… he wondered how she was doing right now. Was she all right? Was she safe and content? As much as it pained him in that urge to want to know… he would never dare find out. He was useless, cowardly and couldn't face her. There had been so many instances he could have done something great but it had been wasted effort, all for nothing. He couldn't save anyone. He ended up costing more lives. He couldn't atone for those past lives, those souls of friends and innocents…he deserved this constant hell. It was his fault that Edward was missing. Roy felt that Winry would hate him for it. After all, if it wasn't for him, Edward never would have even been interested in becoming a State Alchemist. So naturally, all the blame would fall on him, even if he wasn't directly responsible for Edward's disappearance. He had a feeling that the brat wasn't dead, he was much too stubborn to let that happen. So then where was he?
 
Roy tightly gripped the glass and swallowed down that mouth full of clear liquid and poured another. He continued to stare quietly out the window. If he was no in Winry's life she will stay safe, and that was what was most important to him. Leaning forward, he rested his forehead on the desk, “I'm sorry.” He whispered and closed his eye.
 
“I almost feel sorry for him.” Edward replied, “Almost…” It was like he wasn't even seeing the same person. Mustang was pathetic, weak and lost. In a strange way, he preferred the sarcastic, smartass, not this hollow shell.
 
“Sara, I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. But you sound a little too okay with what happened to you during the war, when Mustang was ordered to—” Alphonse knew that it had been awhile, but for someone to be okay with what happened, it didn't really make sense.
 
“We weren't okay with it, Al, but what could we do? It happened and we can't change it. We did not want to be executed, we wanted to live.” Sara sighed. “There is no sense in remaining angry over it, it will serve no purpose. I miss my daughter, I missed her growing up. I wasn't there to help her in her times of need. So much has happened to my little girl that I feel bad that I couldn't provide advice or comfort when she really needed it. You don't know how bad I feel at not being able to be there. But I am also thankful, for Pinako, for you two, and yes even though Edward hates him, I am thankful that Roy Mustang has been in her life.”
 
“That pervert.” Edward scoffed and glanced away from them
 
Sara laughed at that remark and the look on Edward's face, “Yes! He was not quite the honorable man for awhile there. My husband actually wanted to know of we could haunt him or something.” She snickered.
 
“What exactly did he do?” Edward growled, his hand tightening down at his side.
 
Crossing her arms over her breasts, Sara cleared her throat. “He was very manipulative towards Winry and it was at the time where she still hated him, I didn't much appreciate those tactics he used either, but he was always honest about his intentions, he never lied.” She stared at the ground for a moment. “My husband and I were never ashamed of her, or what she had been involved it, we were pissed at Mustang for doing that to her. That's what hurt me the most is that I couldn't be there for her, I felt partly to blame because I wasn't there to knock some sense into both Mustang and Winry's heads. None of that would have happened if my husband and I had been alive.”
 
Alphonse felt bad for Sara, “Did you hate him?”
 
“Hate is such a strong word.” Sara said with a crooked smile, “we were angry, disappointed. But even with all that, they started to care for each other and we could see Winry being a happier person, she was healing, so was Roy. So we became less angry the more we saw her opening up to him and the more he opened up to her. They had a way to heal one another, no one else could, I'm sorry to have said that Edward. They need each other, more than either of them realize or will admit to. Edward you never opened up to Winry, you never really let her in.”
 
Edward swallowed hard, “I… I couldn't do it. She wouldn't understand, I don't think she could have actually grasped what I was feeling.”
 
“You never tried.” Sara said seriously, “You kept her at arms length, never let her see your true heart, never let her be a part of your soul. Do you know how hard it was for Winry and Roy? It was nearly impossible. You don't really know Roy Mustang, do you? You only see him as some sort of rival, in both areas, work and of the heart. You never really got to know the person he really is, the torment he has faced, the ache he feels as he knew he had done wrong and could never make up for it, no matter what he tries to do. You never really accepted him and you always pushed him away when he tried to help you, to help keep you safe.”
 
Alphonse nodded agreeing with her, “It wasn't just for Winry he was watching out for you, Brother. It was also for himself and for you. You were just way too hard on him, never took the time to understand why he would try and keep you grounded. Whether you want to admit it or not, Brother, Mustang actually cares about you.”
 
Sara smiled lightly, and snapped her fingers, and a small scene started to play up and to the left of them. “Watch that.”
 
“Did you say something, Miss Rockbell?” Gerald said in a tone that expressed superiority.  “I didn't quite catch that.”
 
She lifted her head and turned her heated, angered expression to Roy's father.  “I said, what's the matter with you?” Winry repeated quite loudly that it could have passed for a shout.  She saw the older man blink as if it were the first time anyone had ever raised their voice to him.  “All you've done since Roy has arrived is criticize him.  Isn't there anything at all that he has done that could even make you the tiniest bit proud?  I can't believe it that his own family, his own flesh and blood would be so damn impossible.  You're his father, someone who is supposed to support and love him unconditionally, regardless of what he has accomplished.  And he has accomplished so much already.  He commands so many people who follow him loyally because he is a good leader and they believe in him.   I don't understand why you seem to hate him, why you seem to hate each other?”  She was surprised that no one interrupted her or even attempted to speak.
 
Winry looked at Roy who was indeed listening to everything she was saying since there was a very intense expression on his face as well as in his posture.  She turned her attention back to Roy's father.  “My parents died in the Ishbal war, I was eight years old.  What I wouldn't give for…there is so much that I wish I could say and do with them.  But I'll never get the chance.  You don't know how it is to lose loved ones, to never see them again.” She sighed.  “You are both so lucky you still have each other, and you don't know how much time you two have left.  How can you be so cruel? In the blink of an eye it can all be gone and what will you have to show for it?  Absolutely nothing! ” Winry slammed her hands down on the table.  “Can't you just be proud of Roy because he is your son?  You are the one person he shouldn't have to prove anything to.  Don't you realize that your son is someone to be very proud of?  He is a good man and tries to do what is best for everyone.  Even if his ideas seem selfish and unreasonable at certain times, when in actuality they really aren't that selfish or unreasonable at all.” 
 
Standing smoothly, Winry glanced at Roy.  “No matter what has happened, Roy. With everything… my parents, Ed and Al, your behavior towards me…” A light affectionate smile spread across her face.  “I was completely wrong before.  You are not just a pretty face without a good heart.  If anything you have a tremendous heart, and I'm glad that I got the chance to find that out.  I wouldn't have if you hadn't… What I'm trying to say is that I respect and admire you, I always will and nothing will change that.”  She looked up at his father.  “You should too, Sir.  He's quite an impressive man.  He is someone to look up to.” Winry then bowed her head, having said quite enough.  “I'm sorry.  What do I know about family, especially this one, right? I'm an orphan with nothing.  Excuse me.”  She turned and walked from the table, heading towards the doorway.
 
A few seconds of complete silence followed and Winry left the room entirely.  Roy abruptly stood causing his parents to look up at him, only he did not look back at them.  He said nothing as he hurried for the doorway after Winry.
 
Roy's heart was pounding so hard, but when looking at him one could not tell.  He finally caught up with her.  Reaching out, he grasped her by the arm.  At the same time he spun her around and pulled her hard into him, taking her mouth with his.  Her words back there made his heart skip a beat and he was so enthralled in the very essence of this surprising young lady in his arms.
 
Sara then snapped her fingers and the small scene disappeared, she didn't want to warp Edward's mind more than it already was with the few scenes he had already seen of Winry and Roy together intimately. “Now Edward what reason did you have to hate Roy Mustang? He never really did anything to you to cause such a horrible hate to burn in your heart for him.”
 
During the scene that Sara made him watch, he felt angry, but not at Winry at himself and at Mustang. What made his situation so different? Why could Mustang talk to her, have her see a side of him that no one else ever did? And he couldn't do that, he couldn't let Winry in.
 
It was true, Mustang never really did anything to him. The man had done something to Winry and even though he killed her parents and nothing but guilt seemed to devour him, he still managed to open up everything to Winry, his heart, his soul and she accepted it. Winry even though he did the unthinkable and murdered her parents was able to see past that to see strength and goodness in Mustang. Edward wondered if Winry ever thought that way about himself, as he had never really let her see any part of what was in his heart. No wonder she felt drawn to Mustang, he let her into him. Edward never did. “I've been a stupid. I, too, have been cowardly.”
 
Sara smiled, seeing and hearing this hopefully Edward would understand his heart more now.
 
There was a flash of bright light and the trio found themselves in Izumi and Sigmund's living room. Winry was sitting on the sofa, glancing down in sadness at her fingers.
 
“What are we doing here?” Alphonse asked.
 
“Let's wait and see.” Edward replied.
 
“Two months ago she finally got so bad that she couldn't move.” There was pain in Sig's voice as he was talking to Winry sitting on the sofa. He walked to the picture of his beloved wife and stared at it in sorrow. “She told Al to go, that there was nothing left to teach him. She just didn't want him to see.”
 
Winry, who was wearing a white blouse and a red jacket with black pants, hung her head, staring in sadness at her fingers in her lap, “I'm sorry. And Al, he still hasn't given up on finding Edward?” She was tempted to put the locks of her hair that wasn't twisted up with a clip atop her head behind her ear, but she restrained herself from that move.
 
“Not at all,” He looked away from Izumi's picture and out the window catching a quick glimpse of Mason who was entertaining Winry's one and a half year old children, before catching the expressions and sorrow on Winry's face as well as in her posture. “He's convinced that Ed's alive, where he's seventeen and coughs the way Izumi always did and he lives with Ed in a bustling city. The two of them design machines together that fly up into space.”
 
She sighed and closed her eyes, there wasn't much she could do about Edward right now, Winry really wanted to pay a visit to Izumi's grave. Why were all her friends leaving her, why didn't anyone want to stay, but she couldn't fault Izumi for that, she was sick and the woman was finally at peace.
 
Edward and Alphonse felt their hearts constrict, so Izumi finally passed on. She was always in so much pain.
 
“I'm sorry,” Sara said, “I know how much she meant to both of you.”
 
“She was tough, but she also cared about us.” Edward felt wetness prickle in his eyes. “But at least she's not in anymore pain.”
 
Alphonse nodded, feeling the same way. He remembered when Izumi sent him away, he could tell there was another reason, not that there was nothing left to learn, as there was always something new to learn. He knew she just didn't want him to see her like that and he understood. He loved Izumi, she was the mother that he had been missing and even though she never replaced him and Edward's real mother, she was someone that one could go to and depend on like a mother.
 
Managing to excuse herself from Sig, Winry had picked up a small bouquet of flowers at the young woman who sold them at a near by cart. She turned her head to see Mason walking behind her, carrying a blonde, dark eyed Anna, while Brian, a raven haired, blue eyed boy was walking or more like waddling beside him. Winry silently laughed remember what her little boy said to her when she tried to carry him, a week ago.
 
“I bi'bo'mama, no ne ca-wy.” Brain grinned with a fewteeth as he waddled in front of her. Winry had scooped up little Anna, who rested her head against her chest.
 
“Mama is going to take you to see a few good friends.” Winry said happily, as they headed towards the train station.
 
“twain `ide?” Brian, in excitement, tried to rush faster and Winry quickened her step.
 
Winry sighed and stared down at the Izumi's headstone, placing the flowers there. She couldn't believe it, another friend was gone. Life was so fleeting. Something caught her eye and she stood. Looking towards the trees, she noticed a small figure leaning against a tree, asleep. She recognized the little form of Wrath immediately. The poor boy, he must be heartbroken yet again. The only homunculus she really felt sorry for, he was just a kid, a child. She wanted to help him. Winry smiled so lightly, “Looks like someone needs some maintenance, let me help.” She reached out to him. Hearing giggles behind her, two forms ran and clung to the backs of her legs and peaked out around her to look at the sleeping boy.
 
“Who…dat?” Anna asked, pointing straight ahead.
 
“He bwoken?” Brian was eyeing the metal appendages.
 
Winry smiled down at her young ones, “That's one of Mama's friends. We'll take him home with us. I think he could use a little fixing up.” She remembered when she had attached the arm and leg she had been working on for Edward to that small boy. Edward didn't return, so it was a good thing it was a perfect fit for the small homunculus. Their body structures were similar. Since Edward's disappearance, she was going to charge him four times as much as usual if he came back with his arm and leg all destroyed, maybe then he would learn to take care of himself.
 
Edward eyed the children, Mustang's offspring. That's all they were in his eyes and he couldn't stand it. He didn't want to dislike them, he really didn't.
 
****
 
“Ah, I remember this!” Alphonse grinned, “I had come back to Resembool after searching everywhere for you, Brother and that's when I met Anna and Brian. They were so adorable and they liked my magic circles that I showed them briefly. Anna seemed a lot more interested in them, than Brian was. I couldn't spend a lot of time with them, I was just so tired all the time, plus every time I slept, it would be of you on the other side of the gate.
 
“Who's kids did you think they were, Al?” Edward's tone was tight.
 
Alphonse rubbed the back of his head, “I kinda thought that maybe you and Winry had gotten together, since I at the time hadn't remembered that I witnessed her kissing Mustang and the only thing I remember is what happened before we tried to bring mom back. I knew you and her had crushes on one another when we were kids. So naturally, I thought you and her had some kind of close night which resulted in the children.
 
Edward stomped his foot and shoved his hand at them, “That brat has black hair! How could you possibly think I even had a hand in their creation?”
 
“Geeze, don't get so mad, Brother. Really, calm down.” Alphonse rolled his eyes, “I kind of remember Winry's dad having dark hair.”
 
Sara nodded, “He does, but it's a color of brown, not black.”
 
“See,” Alphonse gestured back at Sara, “Come on, Brother, give me a break here. I was basically twelve and I didn't know Winry even really knew other guys let alone Mustang. I didn't remember any of that.
 
Grunting, Edward turned away from Al, “Whatever.” Why, when Alphonse actually got his memories back even want to keep this from him? He knew the answer to his own question, it was because they were on the other side of the gate, without a way home. So what difference would it have made if the children had been his or Mustang's, since he would never even have a chance to meet them? Edward realized that Alphonse was just trying to protect him, to not make him worry and be even more distressed at the fact of not being able to get home since they were trying to make a life for themselves on the other side of that gate.
 
Winry walked forward to Alphonse sleeping in his bed and she leaned over him, watching his slumbering face, “What's with you, Al? You've finally come back home and all you do is sleep?” She heard him mumble Edward's name and she softly gasped. She didn't hear Wrath walk up to stand in the arch way of the door.
 
The small Homunculus knew what he had to do, it was a good thing that Winry came across him when she did. This was his purpose to help, Alphonse, it was the only thing he could do that was right after everything that he had put the Elric brothers through.
 
Hearing pounding feet and giggling, Winry turned around to see her children rush in the door.
 
“Unca Alfos!” Anna cried in laughter, she was looking forward to seeing more magic circles. Brian's laughter was louder as he also called out to the sleeping Alphonse. Winry put her finger to her lips in a quiet motion, while smiling lightly, and Anna and Brian tightened their lips into straight lines as to not disturb their `uncle.'
 
Edward looked over at Alphonse was who was grinning at hearing Unca Alfos, and he couldn't help but smile at it either.
 
Winry shooed them out and the two children turned and raced out the door, laughing, their pounding footsteps going down the stairs. Winry heard her grandmother's voice, `Who wants some lemon cookies and milk?' and two excited cheers and Winry smiled brighter.
 
While her grandmother was entertaining the children, she sat in the living room, the tea set on the coffee table called out to her and she reached forward and grabbed a hold of the pot and poured a bit of the steaming liquid into a flower print porcelain cup. Sighing deeply she leaned back into the cushion of the sofa and brought the tea to her lips.
 
Alphonse was finally home, no doubt it was only to rest and then begin his search again. She was glad about that, she dreaded the moment that he left again. What if he ran into trouble, he was all on his own this time, no Edward to look out for him, to keep him safe. Sure, he was just as strong as Edward, but she still worried over him.
 
When Alphonse suddenly just showed up at her house one day out of the blue, it was hard to explain the fact of her children to him. Alphonse had simply smiled and told her that there was nothing to be worried about, that he had a feeling that she and Edward would be more than friends as he had known of the crush the two of them had on one another when they were little kids. The only memories he couldn't seem to remember were the four years his soul had been attached to a suit of armor. Winry didn't know what to do or say to correct him on the truth about the children and he didn't question her anymore on it. Perhaps when he was older or if he got his memories back she would explain the truth. She let him live in his illusions for right now, she couldn't take that away from him.
 
She heard two pairs of feet rushing down the stairs and she turned her head at the sight of Alphonse and Wrath rushing down and towards the door. Winry placed the cup on the coffee table and jumped up. “Al, Wrath, where are you two going?” She watched them closely as they reached the door and Alphonse took a hold of the door knob.
 
With a sigh, Alphonse stared at the door, “I'm sorry, Winry. But we're going to look for Ed in the last place he was seen.” He turned his head, staring at her. “Tell your children good bye for me.” Opening the door, he and Wrath stepped out.
 
“Good luck, Al.” She whispered, staring at the floor. “Just you don't go and disappear on me too.” Winry closed her eyes tightly, wanting so bad to tell him to stay. Everyone always left! No one ever wanted to stay. Alphonse was all she had left and if he went missing too… Shaking her head wildly, she didn't want to think about that. `Is something wrong with me, why does everyone want to leave me?'
 
The phone rang and she hurried to the kitchen, which was empty. Her grandmother and children were out back, she could see them through the window. Winry picked up the phone. “Rockbell Automail and Prosthetics,” There was a brief silence.
 
“Winry?”
 
Shivers raced up her spine at the sound of that voice on the other end, and Winry took a deep breath trying not to let it effect her. It had been years and he calls now?! Was it really him? Taking a deep breath, she did not really know what to say, until something flew from her lips really without her approval. “You'll excuse me for not keeping in touch.” There was a slight bitter edge to her voice. `I got tired of writing and not receiving a reply, or a phone callso I stopped trying to send letters.'
 
Roy gripped the receiver and stared at it a moment before putting it back to his ear. There was a reason he called. “I'm sorry.” He was for so many things, “I realize that I'm in no position to call you.” He noticed the uncomfortable pause.
 
“No, it's fine.” She sighed with regret of her own actions; she shouldn't even let him talk to her now, but still couldn't find it in her to push him away when he needed her. She was a sucker and hated herself for it. Maybe he didn't really call to talk to her, maybe he was looking for someone else. “Uh… Al isn't here.”
 
“Really?” His tone indicating that he wasn't really looking for Alphonse at the moment. He knew she wanted to change the subject and not talk to him unless she had to. He understood, the way he treated her by not contacting her was cruel, but it was all he could do. He wanted to talk to her because he had an idea of what had been going on in Central and Liore, those strange quakes. It could be something worth looking into and something that might make Winry feel a little better.
 
“He was for awhile,” she turned a little and glances about the kitchen. “But he's disappeared, him and Wrath both.”
 
“Wrath?” Roy had no idea who that was.
 
“He's a young homunculus, a child who is just in pain. I had given him Ed's Automail arm and leg a few years ago when he didn't return and he left without a word then, too. I saw Wrath again on my recent trip to Dublith and he needed some maintenance. He's just a kid, he didn't really know any better. He was misled and used and then they hurt him.” Winry said defending Wrath, wondering why she felt the need to explain anything to Roy, he didn't need or deserve any explanation from her.
 
Roy's eyes narrowed, he did not want her messing around with Homunculi, no matter how they appeared. And how could she be so foolish as to have one in her home? He couldn't tell her that, he had no right to say anything as he hadn't even talked to her in years. He had to get on with his reason for calling, as it might have something to do with Edward. “I see. They've probably gone to Central then.”
 
“Huh?” Winry's brow creased in thought as well as confusion.
 
“Liore and Central experiencing the same phenomenon at the exact same time. There's one thing they share and it's a pretty safe bet that Al arrived at the same conclusion I did.” Roy said quickly to try and end this conversation, it was growing increasingly uncomfortable. There was more he wanted to say, so much he wanted to tell her and he was losing his resolve.
 
Winry gasped seeing through the open door that led into the living room her children in there jumping on the couch, she told them many times not to do that. Winry could hear their laughter fluttering into the kitchen and she cupped the phone a little tighter, hoping it would block out the sound. “Does this have anything to do with Ed's disappearance and Al trying to bring him back?” She really wanted Edward to come back, this could be the chance they all had been waiting for. Finally, Edward would be home, she took another glance at her children, perhaps she should tell Roy, even if it is over the phone. He is their father, he does have a right to know no matter how she would tell him.
 
“I've said all I could for now.” Roy then hung up the phone without letting her answer and he hung his head.
 
Winry stared at the receiver hearing the dial tone, he just hung up on her! Now was not the time to think about that she tried to put Roy out of her mind for now. If Alphonse and Wrath went to Central to try and bring Edward back, then Edward would definitely need her newest masterpieces. She had been working on it for years and so far it's her best work ever. She should be there with Alphonse. Hanging up the phone, Winry called for her grandmother as she headed for her room to grab her large case with Ed's new attachments already secure inside. Rushing down the stairs she saw her children, looking at her curiously.
 
Setting the case down she walked to her young ones and kneeled down. “Mama's gotta go on a small trip, I'll be back as soon as I can. Can you stay here with great grandmother for me and help her around the house and in the workshop?”
 
“I can!” Brian said cheerfully with a raised fist. “Wait you see what I make.” He was so proud of his new plans he had drawn up, a hand that could continuously feed you ice cream and would never run out.
 
Anna smiled and shrugged, she'd rather see more magic circles.
 
She hugged both Anna and Brian to her, this would be the first time she would leave them. “Be good for me.”
 
Pinako walked into the living room seeing Winry, who had her case and just pulled back from hugging her babies. “Winry, what's going on where are you going?”
 
“Grandma, I need you to watch Brian and Anna for me, for a few days. I have to go after Al.” Winry reached down and grabbed her case.
 
“Winry,” Pinako said following her granddaughter who was in a mad rush, “Can't you wait here for him to come back, like we always have?”
 
Winry had stepped out the door and turned around, “I'm sorry, but not this time.” There was determination in her voice. “He's looking for Ed, and I can't let him do that alone.”
 
Anna rushed past her great grandmother, to stare at up at her mother, “Mama, are u gon bring Unca Alfos home?”
 
Smiling down at her little girl, Winry lightly stroked the young girl's hair. “I'll try and maybe someone else too.” Hopefully Edward! She turned and walked off, Central was the best place to start, since Roy said that Alphonse might have gone there.
 
=======
I hope you all enjoyed that episode/chapter, now I might not be able to get the next chapter/episode up before my trip next weekend, but I will honestly try my hardest. If it's not up by Saturday night, don't count on it until after I get back. I'll be gone for 11 days and then I'll need a few days more to work on the next chapter. I just hope I'll be able to get you the next one before I go, since it will be the last one with all this inner heart stuff. And then we move on to present day stuff, hurrah!
 
Thanks for reading
Ryoko Blue