Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom ❯ Welcome Home ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I never claimed to own this, so guess what. I do not!
 
Summary: When faced with Love's difficulty, can three people locked in its hold push aside their fear for the sake of it? Sequel to Feel Me, Shame Me, Heal Me.
 
 
When the Cherry Blossoms Bloom
Episode 13— Welcome Home
 
As if in a trance, Winry lifted her arms and loosely placed them around her hallucination. He sure felt solid enough. “Edward, is it…is it really you?” She asked her possible insanity.
 
Edward smiled and held her tighter, “Yeah, it's really me. I'm back. I'm home.” And he squeezed his eyes shut in complete joy.
 
From around the doorway, Alphonse's head appeared and Winry's eyes widened even more. “I'm here too, Winry.” He smiled sheepishly, “Did you miss us?”
 
Winry shook her head trying to shake these images from her head, “This is impossible.” They stood there still. Edward did not disappear and neither did Alphonse.
 
It felt odd to Edward, as he stood there holding her, she was barely returning the embrace, surely she would be happy to see him, right? Also, he could feel it, something wasn't right; it was like her heart wasn't all there. This was not the Winry he knew; she has blocked a part of her. It was strange how he could feel that right now and instantly. It seems that he learned more than he thought through those layers of his heart's fear. “Winry, are you all right?”
 
She lowered her cheek to his shoulder and sighed deeply, Edward was just as tall as her now. “Yeah, I'm just really surprised. I thought you were gone for good. No one knew where you had gone.”
 
Pulling back a little bit from her so that he could look her in the eye as well as keep her in his arms, Edward cracked a half grin. “Al and I were in some kind of parallel universe. A friend told me that he read about those in some kind of book. That's the only way to describe where we were that would make sense. Everything was similar, yet it seems that science had made more headway than Alchemy did. I think it would have been a good place for you, since you like to learn and build things. Anyway, we passed and stomached and fought through tremendous horrors to get back to this world, our home.” He stared at the floor for a moment, “Al and I are going to stay this time, we aren't going anywhere.”
 
There was a masculine cough from behind them, which caused Winry to turn her head and Edward to look over her shoulder.
 
Edward inwardly groaned at the sight of the older looking gentleman, standing there with arms folded tensely over his chest. The resemblance to Mustang was very apparent. The man gave off a frigid aura and Edward could feel it right down to the depths of his own soul, he looked to his brother standing next to him and he was sure Alphonse shivered once.
 
When the man spoke, his tone oozed with hostility, “Winry, who are these boys?” He saw the slightly taller one silently fume. Just who were these two and why was one of them holding onto his son's woman like that? It made him positively see red. He had stood and watched them for a few moments before he had made his presence known.
 
Winry turned around which released her from Edward's hold. “These are my childhood friends, Edward and Alphonse Elric.” She gestured to both of them. “They had been gone a long time.”
 
`They should have stayed gone.' Gerald's eyes narrowed as he approached them, looking both the young men up and down with a degree of disgust that was obvious to everyone in the room. “Have they now, and just what made them decide to come back?” He stared Edward right in the eye, there was something about this young man that he did not like.
 
“Just who do you think you are?” Edward said in a rather scathing tone, “This used to be mine and Al's home, so that's a good enough reason to come back here.” He growled.
 
“How dare you take that tone, young man. You'd do well to know your place.” Gerald stood tall and commanding.
 
Edward smirked, “I know my place. Perhaps it is you that needs to know yours.”
 
The older Mustang bristled as fury rose and corroded his insides as if acid were running through his veins.
 
“Edward!” Winry shouted, interrupting, “You're home not even five minutes and all you do is pick a fight?!”
 
Stomping his foot, Edward turned on Winry. “He started it!” He pointed to the man.
 
Alphonse decided it was a good time to jump in and he literally did. He jumped right in front of his brother, between him and the General's father. “Please forgive older brother, he's a little hot tempered.” He tried to soothe, talking to Mr. Mustang and he saw the older man let out a small, tight breath.
 
“Well at least someone has some manners. I was beginning to think you two had been raised by wolves the way your older brother behaves.” Gerald heard Edward's low growl.
 
Edward angrily crossed his arms over his chest, “of course she always blames me first. This guy was the one who started the whole thing.” He mumbled quietly. This time instead of continuing the `disagreement' he faced Winry. “Are me and my brother still welcome here, Winry?”
 
Winry sighed and nodded, “Of course, Edward, why wouldn't you be?” She could see why he would ask that, he has been gone a long time and she was sure he was never coming back. But this place would always be their home; it was some place they could always return to. She felt a tug on the back of her pant leg and she turned her head seeing Anna and Brian there. Her eyes widened and her heart nearly jumped out of her chest. How was she going to explain them?
 
“Mama, who's that?” Anna pointed to Edward who was standing behind her mother.
 
“He's my brother,” Alphonse said which caused both Anna and Brian to squeal in glee.
 
“Unca Alfos!” Both Brian and Anna yelled at the same time and rushed around to see him.
 
Alphonse laughed. “It's good to see you, boy have you both grown so big.”
 
Brian held up five fingers, “We are turning five next Saturday.” He grinned.
 
“Wow, really, that is so exciting.” Alphonse replied.
 
Winry found Edward to be watching her children curiously, just how was she going to tell him, this had to be quite the shock in coming home to two little ones like this. Maybe Alphonse had told him that she had children. She walked around her children and kneeled down to her little ones, placing her hands on both her children she glanced up at Edward, trying hard to hide her nervousness. “Edward, I'd like you to meet, Brian and Anna, they are my children.”
 
Glancing at the floor, avoiding Winry's eyes as well as the twins, he swallowed a hard breath. “Guess you've been busy while Al and I have been gone.” He smiled uncomfortably and heard a smooth breath of air leave Winry. He wasn't going to ask about it, she didn't need to explain. It wasn't his place to say anything positive or negative.
 
“Edward, there is something important that you should know, that I have been keeping from you for well many years.” Winry took in a harsh breath, “only because I didn't want to worry you or that your reactions wouldn't have been all that great.” That was an understatement, it would have been chaos.
 
He shook his head, and Edward still continued to stare at the floor. “I don't need to know, Winry. Whatever happened and with who, it's not important.”
 
Still feeling guilty, Winry felt the need to confess everything, but perhaps this was not the right time, perhaps after Edward and Alphonse had relaxed a little and settled in, when they felt like they were finally home again, would she say.
 
Unfortunately, Gerald was going to let Edward know exactly who those little ones belonged to. “Winry, I think you're old friends are probably hungry and thirsty from their long journey, how about you go and fetch them something to eat and drink. The children can help you.”
 
Standing upright, Winry knew what Gerald was going to do, it was plainly obvious. So she walked closer to him and leaned closer to his ear and spoke in a low tone that only Gerald could hear. “Please don't say anything about Roy to Edward. He doesn't know about my involvement at all with your son and I want to tell him myself. They were not exactly on the best of terms, in fact you could say that Edward hated him.”
 
“I will only say what is necessary,” Gerald replied, “I just want to see where this young man's intentions lie, I want to get to know him a little.” He only said this so that he could crush this new development, there was no way he was going to let some puny, practically kid, come in and throw all his plans into tangles.
 
Winry nodded, “It's not like you would have anything to worry about. I don't need protecting from Edward, he's pretty much been trying to do that for me my whole life, and I doubt he has intentions other than belonging with a family, which is all he really ever wanted.”
 
“So you say.” Gerald's eyes shifted over to Edward who stood there with a glare on his face. “But I will get to the bottom of it even if I have to mention my son, so be prepared to answer his questions should he have them.”
 
`Stubborn man!' Winry's head shouted. She just hoped he had enough sense to listen to her wishes on this. She reached down and took her children by the hands and started with them into the kitchen, where Jenny currently was.
 
Once Winry was gone and out of ear shot, Gerald's dark eyes narrowed with purpose and anger. He took three steps towards the Elrics. “I am going to make this one hundred percent clear to you, to both of you. If you dare even try to destroy everything I have done here, well let's just say you will rue the day you ever took breath.”
 
Alphonse's eyes widened with panic and he held his hands up innocently. “You've got it all wrong, Sir. Winry's our friend we just want to see that she is happy.”
 
Crossing his arms over his chest, Edward glared at the older Mustang man with contempt, “And just what do you mean by everything you have done. It's not like you own Winry or her children, to be able to have a say in anything they do.”
 
“There you are wrong, little man.” Gerald's tone was dark and low, he actually heard the growling coming from the eldest Elric. “Those little ones of hers, well they are also a part of my family, a family right now that is kind of divided, but not for long. My son is due to arrive any day now, not that you would know who that is.”
 
Edward stomped his foot, “Stop calling me so small that I'm barely the size of an ant! And what do you mean by not for long? Just so you know I happen to know exactly who's children those brats belong to and I'm not about to let that bastard come in and destroy Winry's heart all over again. I'll kill him before I let that happen! There's something you should know about Winry, it is the fact that she is so damn stubborn, once she's made up her mind about something its not likely she'll change it. Your so-called son has no chance in hell, and I am certainly going to remain here to stop him.”
 
The older Mustang smirked, “Hmm, we shall see, boy.” He turned his head, “Jenny, we're leaving.” He heard several footsteps and Winry and his wife appeared at the archway of the kitchen to the living room. “We're returning to the hotel now.” And he headed for the closet door for his coat. Taking one last long scalding look at Edward Elric, Gerald said, “Good luck, you'll need it.” And he laughed.
 
Jenny followed her husband towards the door and turned around to Winry, “We'll come by in a few days to give your friends some time to settle in.” She embraced Winry tightly.
 
“Thanks, Jenny.” Winry replied, her chin crushed against the woman's shoulder. “I'll see you soon.”
 
Gerald covered Jenny's shoulders with her shawl and they left through the front door.
 
That left Winry alone with the Elric brothers and her children. Her grandmother was in the workshop currently.
 
“So…” Winry started and looked away from them uncomfortably. “What did you two talk about?”
 
Before Edward could utter a single word, Alphonse interjected. “Just telling us to mind our manners.”
 
Winry's brow creased in confusion, that certainly didn't sound like some Gerald would say, in fact it was probably the complete opposite. Well whatever it was, she was sure the brothers didn't want to talk about it. Secrets again, always secrets. She wanted to tell them her hardest kept secret of them all. She was going to stop the secrets, if they weren't going to be honest with her, well then she'll be honest with them. “Edward, listen to me. About my children, there is something you should know.”
 
Edward sighed, “You don't need to confess anything to me Winry, I kind of already know.”
 
Gasping in shock with her hands pressed against her mouth, while taking one step back, Winry's eyes widened. “You—you know, about my children and who—” She saw him nod effectively cutting her off. “How do you know?” She trembled, preparing for Edward's tirade.
 
“Well, Winry. After Al told me of something he saw between you and…” He swallowed hard with disgust, “that no good bastard, I kinda put two and two together. I admit that I was disgusted and bitterly angry about it, but I'd come to realize that it was your life and I really had no say in what you do and who you do.” His cheeks heated as did Winry's. He was not going to tell her the exact truth, how he witnessed almost every incident of Winry's strong love for that bastard General.
 
“Ed…I, I'm sorry.” She hung her head in guilt.
 
From the archway the twins were listening to their mother's conversation.
 
Brian's eyes narrowed hard, “Unca Edwa is making Mama sad.” He didn't like it when people made his mother cry.
 
“Yeah,” Anna said with just as much anger in her tone. “We can't let that happen, we need to protek Mama.”
 
And the twins walked away from the doorway back to their milk and chocolate chip cookies at the table.
 
“Don't be sorry, Winry.” Alphonse said, “It's not your fault.”
 
She shook her head, “Oh, Al, you don't know the half of it. If you did, you both would be so disappointed in me. You'd hate me.” Tears drizzled down her cheeks.
 
Edward stepped closer, wanting to reach out to her. “Winry, we could never hate you. No matter what. We're you're friends, your best friends. Thinking that we'd hate you is silly. Now I can hate Mustang, but never could you be hated.”
 
Winry lifted her head and smiled through her tears, but it seemed her smile didn't quite reach her eyes. “I'm so glad you and Al are home. It just wasn't the same without you two around.”
 
“We're here to stay this time, Winry.” Alphonse promised. “No more running off to who knows where. Brother fulfilled his promise to me, my original body is back.” He looked to his brother. “But his isn't.”
 
“That's okay, Al.” He glanced down at his artificial arm and leg. “It's sort of become a part me, but I could sure use some of your fine work, Winry. I don't have any money to pay you though.”
 
Laughing, Winry shook her head. “Oh, Ed, I thought you'd never ask me! Oh and you don't need to pay me this time, but you will for every future maintenance. Only because I know you and I know how reckless you can be.”
 
Edward laughed.
 
Taking a glance at the clock on the wall, Winry noticed it was after nine. “Oh, its way past Anna and Brian's bed time, I better put them to bed.”
 
“Can I do it?” Alphonse asked.
 
With a soft smile, Winry nodded. “All right, if you want. Just remember, don't let them trick you. They have to wash their faces and brush their teeth. Their pajamas are in the top drawer of the dresser. Brian's bed is the one with the blue bed spread that has stars on it and Anna's is the one with the purple bed spread that has moons on it.”
 
Alphonse nodded quickly and headed into the kitchen to retrieve the twins.
 
Winry could hear her babies and Alphonse laughing and talking, she then turned towards Edward. “Yours and Al's room is still the same, Ed.”
 
“Thanks, Winry.” He watched her closely, she had really grown up while he was away. “It's so good to be home.”
 
“Well I'll let you go and rest, I should get started on your automail.” She grinned.
 
Edward gave her a quick nod with a smile of his own and he headed towards the stairs. He watched as Winry headed to the back door in the kitchen for the workshop.
 
 
Pinako was turning screws in a leg when the door opened and her granddaughter stepped in. “Are the twins in bed?” She asked pleasantly.
 
“Grandma, Ed and Al came back, they're here right now.” She walked to the workbench and sat on the vacant school. “Al's helping Brian and Anna to bed.”
 
Pinako sat the screwdriver down on the bench and turned to Winry, “and how do you feel about that.”
 
Winry picked up a hammer and inspected it carefully as if she had never seen one before. “I'm happy that they are home. It's just, I had given up hope that they would ever come back. Oh, Grandma, what was I suppose to do, wait forever? I couldn't do that, and the moment I stop waiting for them, putting them in the past, they come waltzing up.” She dropped the hammer and gripped the front of the stool tightly, her chin falling to her chest as her hair fell over her face, hiding it from her grandmother's view. “It feels like I don't deserve to have them in my life, I just cast them aside.”
 
“You're being much too hard on yourself, kiddo. I know they wouldn't have expected you to keep on waiting. You had to do what was right for yourself.” She moved off the stool and headed for the door. “It's a good thing that the Elrics are back. Your dear friends have finally come home. I know you have been waiting for this for a long time now, Winry.”
 
Turning her head towards her grandmother, Winry smiled. “Yeah, I am glad that they are home. I really missed them.” She moved her loose hair behind her ear. “Ed needs new Automail.” Her sapphire eyes lit up brightly, “I'm going to get started on it now. Ed will see how much I've learned about Automail. That set I gave him before he disappeared I thought was my best work, now I know that wasn't true, this will be my best work!” She said in excitement.
 
Pinako grinned, knowing that everyone's best work always changed and improved. “Have fun.” And she left the workshop.
 
After getting all her tools and supplies out to build the best Automail limbs in history! Winry leaned on the heel of her hand, which was propped up by her elbow on the bench. “Welcome home, Ed and Al.” She finally had her family back. What more could she hope for?
 
=======
Well I'm finally back from my trip and I hope you all enjoyed this episode/chapter. Ed and Al are back and Winry is so happy. When she thinks all is going well, trouble is about to take hold. Read to find out just what this trouble is. Stay tuned…
 
Thanks for reading,
Ryoko Blue